0 Post(s)

Error (band)

Searched but didn't find any threads on them:

Error
    featuring
    Atticus Ross
    Brett Gurewitz
    Leopold Ross

Love the ep so much, it's a shame they never released anything else. Does anyone know of any more songs? Or is the ep it? Wish Atticus was still doing music like this.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    There was a cover of a song by The Birthday Party, but IIRC it didn't have Greg on vocals, and... it wasn't memorable enough for me to keep in my collection over the years.

Love the Error EP. It's perfect. I would have liked for there to have been more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Still one of my favorite EPs ever! For a second I thought the creation of this thread meant there was a new album

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Still one of my favorite EPs ever! For a second I thought the creation of this thread meant there was a new album
    sorry about that

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The song @Leviathant mentioned is called "Wild World" and can be found on the 2006 compilation Release The Bats: The Birthday Party As Heard Through The Meat Grinder Of Three One G (yeah, very long title). I just bought the song off iTunes at the time and never bought the CD. Looking through the scans of the liner notes on Discogs, it just says "Performed, recorded and produced by Error. Backing Vocals by Claudia Sarne. Mixed by Doug Trantow at Atticus' house.". I do recall hearing at the time that Greg wasn't on vocals, and listening to it just now, unless he's singing with a weird accent, it doesn't sound like him.

The Error EP from 2004 is such a great listen and one of my favorites. It always struck me as sounding like Atari Teenage Riot meets Dillinger Escape Plan. It's interesting to remember that Greg joined DEP in late 2001 but his first release with them was Miss Machine which came out in July 2004, so the Error EP being released in February 2004 preceded that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all, I'd missed that track existing.

It's currently on Bandcamp if anyone is interested, available as a separate track for $1 or the full compilation for $7 - https://va31g.bandcamp.com/track/wild-world

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wild World vocals were by Leopold Ross. They also had a remix of The Transplants' "Quick Death" on Punk-O-Rama Vol 8.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Wild World vocals were by Leopold Ross. They also had a remix of The Transplants' "Quick Death" on Punk-O-Rama Vol 8.
    Do you have a source for this? Now that you're saying it, it does ring a bell, but it would be nice to find the confirmation. I guess I should try to find some interviews, if they ever did any. It's always fun when bands name themselves very common one word things, makes searching the internet a lot of fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love this place. thanks for the info. I never heard these tracks before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks! I'll have to look for that. Glad I started this thread

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I am asking a very vague question...but it's for a reason.

I'm testing the waters to see what interest there is out there for this EP being released on vinyl. Do people (other than myself) still listen to this EP? Are folks looking to have this on vinyl?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. Even a thumbs up as a yes will suffice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I am asking a very vague question...but it's for a reason.

I'm testing the waters to see what interest there is out there for this EP being released on vinyl. Do people (other than myself) still listen to this EP? Are folks looking to have this on vinyl?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. Even a thumbs up as a yes will suffice.
    I'm not an admin, but I'm sure one will come along and say the same thing. Taking commercially released music and pressing vinyl of it is a violation of copyright and shouldn't be condoned. This has come up on the NIN Collectors Facebook Group before. Someone pressed Still to vinyl, then started planning out a bunch of other releases (SONOIO specifically) which eventually caught the attention of Alessandro, who was pretty pissed off about the whole thing. NIN's management didn't get involved, but I'm pretty sure Alessandro made it clear to this person that this sort of thing isn't welcome. Bottom line is, as much as fans may want vinyl pressings of some of this stuff, it's not our place to do it.

Also, taking a CD master and pressing it to vinyl is a waste of time. There are lots of benefits of vinyl over digital, such as higher fidelity (if pressed from a high res source) and better mastering with more dynamics. None of those things are happening if you just take a CD and make a record out of it. I guess that's where the vinyl fad is now. I enjoy vinyl, I've been collecting it since before it was cool again, but all this bootleg vinyl is a waste of time and money.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I'm not an admin, but I'm sure one will come along and say the same thing. Taking commercially released music and pressing vinyl of it is a violation of copyright and shouldn't be condoned. This has come up on the NIN Collectors Facebook Group before. Someone pressed Still to vinyl, then started planning out a bunch of other releases (SONOIO specifically) which eventually caught the attention of Alessandro, who was pretty pissed off about the whole thing. NIN's management didn't get involved, but I'm pretty sure Alessandro made it clear to this person that this sort of thing isn't welcome. Bottom line is, as much as fans may want vinyl pressings of some of this stuff, it's not our place to do it.

Also, taking a CD master and pressing it to vinyl is a waste of time. There are lots of benefits of vinyl over digital, such as higher fidelity (if pressed from a high res source) and better mastering with more dynamics. None of those things are happening if you just take a CD and make a record out of it. I guess that's where the vinyl fad is now. I enjoy vinyl, I've been collecting it since before it was cool again, but all this bootleg vinyl is a waste of time and money.
    While I appreciate the caution...

I am not asking this question to create illegal bootleg copies. I own a record label and am currently working with Epitaph on licensing the EP to release on vinyl for the first time and I genuinely wanted to get a gauge from the ETS community on how many folks would be interested in this EP on vinyl...

And we'd be using the original masters.

Now back to my original question

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I am not asking this question to create illegal bootleg copies. I own a record label and am currently working with Epitaph on licensing the EP to release on vinyl for the first time and I genuinely wanted to get a gauge from the ETS community on how many folks would be interested in this EP on vinyl...

I would absolutely buy an official vinyl release of this.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I would 100% be on board for this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Good to know. I feel like you probably should have mentioned that in the first place, as I don't think I'm the only one who would have assumed what I did. But I'm glad to hear it's being looked at officially.

Yeah, I'd buy one. Honestly though, I doubt you're going to get many people here to chime in, maybe 10, 20 if you're lucky. I think it's all about exposure. If Matt posted about it on the Hotline, you'd get more eyes on it. Greg/DEP fans would be into it if they were aware. If it actually got pressed and NIN posted about it on their site, you'd sell more copies for sure. I think the issue you're going to run into is I don't think many people are aware of this project. That's unfortunate since it's an awesome EP.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Good to know. I feel like you probably should have mentioned that in the first place, as I don't think I'm the only one who would have assumed what I did. But I'm glad to hear it's being looked at officially.

Yeah, I'd buy one. Honestly though, I doubt you're going to get many people here to chime in, maybe 10, 20 if you're lucky. I think it's all about exposure. If Matt posted about it on the Hotline, you'd get more eyes on it. Greg/DEP fans would be into it if they were aware. If it actually got pressed and NIN posted about it on their site, you'd sell more copies for sure. I think the issue you're going to run into is I don't think many people are aware of this project. That's unfortunate since it's an awesome EP.
    Fair point although, honestly even being a label owner...I never even thought that illegal boots was a first reaction to people. But fair point.

But yes, 100% official.

And we have a full marketing plan that will go out much later but since I've been a member here for so long... figured it be cool to see who on ETS was interested. The Dillinger crowd is already a solid with plenty of folks waiting for the release.

Just a genuine curiosity -- not looking for any sort of promotion by any means .. yet.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I have a complicated relationship with vinyl. It's a petrochemical product, it degrades with each play, it is destined for landfill. In an era where we have unlimited reproduction and preservation capabilities in the digital realm... there's a lot to unpack there, I think. I say this with at least two Expedit squares full of records.

The Error EP is a cool little package. I think a 12" version would benefit from a more bespoke package/pressing, but I don't know that's financially viable - but that's your job as a record label. Error's a favorite of mine. Maybe Greg P jump in and promote it. I imagine Epitaph has an idea of how well it did or didn't sell... but I also feel like there wasn't much promotion when the EP first came out. I don't have any archived articles from the time. Epitaph did a good job of sending out free CDs and bumper stickers, but there wasn't much in the way of interviews or articles, and it wasn't really standard Epitaph fare, so it didn't seem like it would be something that would be able to float on just being associated with the label.

So, here's what's complicated, is after saying all that - I'll promote the crap out of this. But the Hotline in 2003 was kinda huge. Today? I have no idea what our reach is, but it's not a lot, and only a subset of readers is going to be interested in this. I think you've got your work cut out for you.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'd also be in. Love that EP.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'd buy the vinyl release if it happens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If there's a chance of getting the aforementioned Wild World cover added as a bonus track, I'd definitely buy it. Absent that, odds are probably 50/50 depending on packaging/price.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    If there's a chance of getting the aforementioned Wild World cover added as a bonus track, I'd definitely buy it. Absent that, odds are probably 50/50 depending on packaging/price.
    I agree that not adding that song as a bonus track would be a huge missed opportunity.