Page 77 of 88 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2624

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Genesis is a mixture of White Pony and Self/Titled for me right now and I'm loving it. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's pretty dam good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Genesis sounds awesome! Really like the massive sludgy riff and the manipulations on Chino's vocals. There's like a few bits in the track where he sounds all ring modulated or something, and it totally reminds me of Trent's vocal effects. I wasn't really digging it on first listen, but now it's growing on me fast! I reckon there's a bit of Hexagram and Combat vibes in the verses with Chino's screams too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed Ohms a lot but Genesis is on another level, damn.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Oh that's the stuff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have listened to it but first listen left me cold, with “Ohms” I had it on replay for a whole day. Hopefully this one is a grower. It seems like I’ve heard this song before (mix of Leathers and Combat)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Holy shit, that was awesome!

Could have been a S/T track, without problem, also reminds me to the Diamond Eyes era.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Holy shit, that was awesome!

Could have been a S/T track, without problem, also reminds me to the Diamond Eyes era.
    Exactlyyyy! The vocals effect brought me right back to White Pony with the guitar tone feeling 100% S/T.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tldr: Stef showed up

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Caught the premiere of the video just now on the tube and yea, Genesis was a quick grower for me; much more effective the second time around. I'm much more appreciative towards Ohms now and after hearing Genesis, I can see how it works as an album closer so far.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While I dig the track, I can't help but notice that the power behind his screams is mostly gone. He used this same style on Gore. I think Koi No Yokan was the last time they really had some bite to them.

After listening to Genesis multiple times, I no longer have qualms about Chino's scream. It sounds perfectly fine!
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-20-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Dude is almost 50, and sounded screamy to me? Idk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    While I dig the track, I can't help but notice that the power behind his screams is mostly gone. He used this same style on Gore. I think Koi No Yokan was the last time they really had some bite to them.
    You also have to keep in mind that Chinos really fucked up his voice back in the early days since he was screaming improperly. Along with age, Chino's right vocal chord is partially paralyzed from damage from not screaming with the right technique.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    You also have to keep in mind that Chinos really fucked up his voice back in the early days since he was screaming improperly. Along with age, Chino's right vocal chord is partially paralyzed from damage from not screaming with the right technique.
    That's a fair point. I just assumed he'd gotten it under control after his surgery because he was screaming a fair amount since then and seemed to be keeping it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Dude is almost 50, and sounded screamy to me? Idk
    His age is irrelevant. There are plenty of vocalists that are still screaming well and approaching their 50s. Aaron Turner, most notably for me, still has an impressive growl and he's in his 40s. My point was, his screams since Gore seem to have not sounded as harsh (I mean that in tonality not technique). Maybe this is just something he's doing that's easier on him, but it's definitely not as strong. Power to him if it's helping him maintain his voice, though. I can't image how frustrating it must be to half partially paralyzed vocal chords.

Edit: I'd like to note that I'm not knocking his voice in any way. It was just an observation.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-18-2020 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Digging the hell out of this new track. Definitely getting White Pony ("Korea") + S/T ("Needles and Pins") vibes, but with a bit of a SNW ("Beware") feel and KNY production.

Me gusta.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Diamond Eyes was the last time he really had power behind his screams......Not fat shaming the dude but his screams do seem to be dictated by his physical appearance. His screams were not nearly as strong during the SNW era (significant weight gain) yet on DE he was screaming like it was 1997 again (in great shape)....His screams started to lose power around 2012 (when he started his weight gain which continues to this day)...........Although even if he lost weight at this point, not sure if it would bring back the power behind his screams. Dude is pushing 50. Only Mike Patton can still shred his vocal chords and sing as good as ever past age 50

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Yup, that's the Deftones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Another thing I noticed: is that Sergio doing backing vocals? It doesn't sound like Chino.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Only Mike Patton can still shred his vocal chords and sing as good as ever past age 50
    Chino sounded pretty aggressive on Gore (Title track) and Corey Taylor is pushing 50 and still sounds fantastic.

There are tons or vocalists that have turned the dial back due to their age and style of singing their vocal chords simply cannot maintain anymore; age definitely plays a factor, it really depends on the vocalist. I'm still impressed by what Chino can still do at his age, damaged vocals chords or not. Seems he just has to be more selective with it now.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-18-2020 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Another thing I noticed: is that Sergio doing backing vocals? It doesn't sound like Chino.
    Hard to tell but you're right in that it doesn't sound like Chino.

So far the album sounds like the bridge between S/T and Diamond Eyes. Deftones are always going to sound like Deftones so Saturday Night Wrist doesn't not fit in, it was just a bit of a departure. Not sure if that will make sense to anyone. The ending of Genesis would have fit right in on S/T though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm warming up to the song now, the verses are quite cool, but the chorus falls flat to my ears. Specifically, the "climbing out of the ashes, turning time inside out, we're floating off in the ether" lyric delivery lacks imagination, sounds monotone? Chino's performance elsewhere in the track is good, but (and don't crucify me for this) I think he's doing better now with the Crosses/Palms-like vocals (see Ohms the song). Fuck I do love the "Through the haunted maze in your eyes" line...
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-18-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    I have a feeling based on the title track and what people are saying about Genesis that this album is going to have better production but lack the experimentalism that made outliers like Gore and SNW so compelling. Based on the song descriptions and the lazy-ass song titles that immediately conjure up the notion that they're repeating themselves or out of ideas, it sounds like they just got fan-friendly production and dialed up the heaviness for the sake of not incurring the backlash they got for people not being into the Gore stuff. I'm totally expecting this album to be Diamond Eyes II: well-produced, heavy as fuck, but playing it safe and familiar to keep hardcore fans complacent..

Naturally, I hope I'm dead wrong and eating crow by this time next week, and we get a late-era watershed like KNY. But I can definitely see the Deftones elitists turning on this album a month from now like they did Gore once the honeymoon is over..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    All of the frisson with that first hit in. Love it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    To be honest, I prefer Gore so far. I honestly don't know why the band and some fans hate Gore, mixing/mastering issues aside.
    My opinion might change when I hear the whole thing in one sitting sometime next week.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    To be honest, I prefer Gore so far. I honestly don't know why the band and some fans hate Gore, mixing/mastering issues aside.
    My opinion might change when I hear the whole thing in one sitting sometime next week.
    Really, the production of that record is what turns me off. Can’t stand that it sounds like chino is singing from 50 feet away from the mic and in a parking garage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's a fair point. I just assumed he'd gotten it under control after his surgery because he was screaming a fair amount since then and seemed to be keeping it together.

His age is irrelevant. There are plenty of vocalists that are still screaming well and approaching their 50s. Aaron Turner, most notably for me, still has an impressive growl and he's in his 40s. My point was, his screams since Gore seem to have not sounded as harsh (I mean that in tonality not technique). Maybe this is just something he's doing that's easier on him, but it's definitely not as strong. Power to him if it's helping him maintain his voice, though. I can't image how frustrating it must be to half partially paralyzed vocal chords.

Edit: I'd like to note that I'm not knocking his voice in any way. It was just an observation.
    Maybe it's just the way that he wants to sound in Deftones now? BRIEF EXCHANGE was released in 2018 and he screams his ass off in some points of the song. And the screams to me in that song sound like Koi No Yokan screams.

We'll see next week I guess.
    Last edited by ldeaf2; 09-18-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldeaf2 View Post
    Maybe it's just the way that he wants to sound in Deftones now? BRIEF EXCHANGE was released in 2018 and he screams his ass off in some points of the song. And the screams to me in that song sound like Koi No Yokan screams.

We'll see next week I guess.
    Yesssss. There are a ton people I know that have no idea this song even exists! Agreed.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Really, the production of that record is what turns me off. Can’t stand that it sounds like chino is singing from 50 feet away from the mic and in a parking garage.
    If you google "Deftones Gore Hate Reddit", it will literally pull up a dozen threads from the Deftones subreddit that chronicles the laundry list of gripes Deftones stans have with Gore..

Everything from weak production, to weak lyrics, to meandering song structures, to muffled drums, to Sergio being a horrendous songwriter, to Abe playing in another building, to Chino's vocals being too up in the mix, to Chino's vocals being buried in the mix, to Stef's guitar being too loud, to Stef's guitar not being loud enough, to the band's hamburgers not having enough ketchup during the sessions, and on and on and on and on. It's all there..

It's fascinating that people focus so intently on this stuff and completely dismiss the album for what it is: the sexy little sister of SNW, experimental and original and unlike any album of its kind, except perhaps...SNW. It's basically a Deftones shoegaze album. I quite like that about it..

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    @Prettybrokenspiral
    Toxic Reddit pitchfork wielding hate mobs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    If you google "Deftones Gore Hate Reddit", it will literally pull up a dozen threads from the Deftones subreddit that chronicles the laundry list of gripes Deftones stans have with Gore..

Everything from weak production, to weak lyrics, to meandering song structures, to muffled drums, to Sergio being a horrendous songwriter, to Abe playing in another building, to Chino's vocals being too up in the mix, to Chino's vocals being buried in the mix, to Stef's guitar being too loud, to Stef's guitar not being loud enough, to the band's hamburgers not having enough ketchup during the sessions, and on and on and on and on. It's all there..

It's fascinating that people focus so intently on this stuff and completely dismiss the album for what it is: the sexy little sister of SNW, experimental and original and unlike any album of its kind, except perhaps...SNW. It's basically a Deftones shoegaze album. I quite like that about it..

Look, ill give it that Gore has some nice songs on it. The final 4 songs are great. Acid Hologram and Hearts/Wires are pretty decent but really, the production is pretty bad and god awful. The reverb and effects and Chino voice sound like shit, I can barely hear Abe, Sergio and Frank, among other issues. To be personally, this sounds nothing like SNW. SNW was dark and a point of turmoil during a period where everyone hated each other and it reflected on songs like Rapture and Combat. Look, its nice that they experimented but an album doesn't become good just because you experiment, that's not how it works. And I feel like a broken record at this point because I say this so many goddamned times but THAT IS JUST PEOPLES OPINION, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

You are free to love the album, that's just fine, im actually happy you love it quite a bit. Also, another thing. I think people are so worked up and obsessed with having to experiment to be good or relevant. I fucking hate that. While I don't want it to reach Slayer levels or AC/DC levels of repeating, having an album that sounds like an old sound isn't a bad thing at all. A good song or album is a good song or album, regardless of what it sounds like

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    @neorev it's fuckin' hilarious because anyone so much as pipes up that "Hey, Doomed User ain't so bad.." or "The drums sound fine to me on Rubicon.." and out come the wolves, because how dare anyone enjoy such an album..

Granted, it does sound like shit compared to DE/KNY/anything Terry Date has done with them. That's why even if Ohms just finds them treading familiar water, it's still gonna bang hard. But goddamn, I listen to Gore and it makes me a little sad that people are so turned off by it just because its production basically mimics Isn't Anything. The album holds my interest a lot better than S/T (which has virtually no flow to it), White Pony or that snoozefest that was the Team Sleep album..