Diamond Eyes
    Ohms
    S/T
    Gore

Their only terrible album:
    Adrenaline

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Last weekend i heard "Gore" and "Ohms", back-to-back and i still loved both albums, they are different but one has what the other lacks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The only songs really standing out to me are Urantia and Headless.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Keeps getting better for me. Error and Ceremony are my jams right now

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I finally got the good headphones. This gets a lie down in a dark room treatment soon.

There's a lot of levels to take in.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I’ll never, ever kick a Deftones album out of bed, but man...this is a let-down for an album that took 4.5 years to deliver, and has Terry Date at the boards..

The album is good, but that’s my main issue with it: it’s merely good. It comes nowhere near their best albums, and it sounds like a collection of songs we’ve heard from them before, and done better elsewhere. A good deal of these tracks — Ceremony, Headless, TSOM, Pompeji, Error — would have fit right in on what they were doing on Gore. TLID sounds, at best, like a Deftones b-side; they did this same song to much better effect on CMND/CTRL. Radiant City just sounds like a mash-up of Pittura Infamante and Xenon. Headless, while perfectly enjoyable, sounds like a lightweight Tempest or Rosemary..

The whole thing just sounds so...small. Even Diamond Eyes towers over this one. It’s sorely missing the risks and experimental aspects that make SNW, KNY and Gore so timeless and interesting. This was clearly an album that was made under very self-conscious auspices. They’re capable of so much more when they just ignore what their whiny, never-happy fanbase wants and think for themselves, like they did on every other album they’ve done. Not a bad album, but nothing remarkable like their last seven albums were..

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    25 years into their career. Hard for any band 25 years into their career to still release groundbreaking albums. They have a signature sound. No matter what they do, it will always sound like Deftones. Even if they did a country album, it will still sound like Deftones. To me their peak was 2003-2006. Some people think their peak was 1997-2001. Some think 2010-2012......Every fanbase has whiny assholes. Deftones fans have shit on every album since ATF upon release. People hated WP when it dropped because it wasn't heavy enough. People hated S/T when it came out because it was too heavy. People bitched about SNW for being too weird. People bitched that DE was too simple etc. People bitched KNY sounded too much like DE. Everyone including Stef (and now Chino) bitched about Gore. They'll never satisfy their entire fanbase. Sounds like the entire band did this one together which is good, considering Stef contributed nothing to Gore and was on the verge of pulling a Jim Martin w Faith No More circa Angel Dust. Martin contributed nothing to Angel Dust except 1 song, then bitched how he hated the record. Eventually he was ostracized by the entire band and kicked out a year later. Stef w Gore basically did the same thing, but in a weird way it seemed to bring the band together because Chino seemed to go out of his way to make Stef a huge part of the new record. So I consider that a good thing. They could have easily done to Stef what FNM did to big Jim. They could have kicked Stef out, brought in Shaun Lopez to play guitar and let Chino indulge in his shoe gaze post rock wet dreams for the next 5 records. Instead they made a conscious effort to get Stef involved and became a tight unit again. Chalk one up for maturity as a band
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 10-06-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Last weekend i heard "Gore" and "Ohms", back-to-back and i still loved both albums, they are different but one has what the other lacks.
    This for me after listening to them back to back as well. Each has some elements the other lacks and after making a slow Deftones fan record, I wanna mash up the tracklists for Gore and Ohms and see what I come up with because at the moment, Gore still holds the lead over Ohms collectively for me right now.

@Prettybrokenspiral
    I'd have to say Self-titled is where they were the most cohesive next to KNY, with Diamond Eyes sounding like a b-sides album to me. This thread never seizes to amaze me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Self-titled sounds all over the place, with no unifying theme or even direction, but it still has way more interesting things happening on it than Ohms does..

Diamond Eyes at least sounds like the band firing on all cylinders, has that spacey atmospheric sound throughout the whole thing, and has something for every kind of Deftones fan on it. The sonic territory they cover on that record is astonishing for only 41 minutes of music. That’s why that album still sounds so fucking boss a decade later..

Ohms has plenty to like and has plenty of certifiable bangers on it, but it’s the first album they’ve done where they don’t sound like they’re pushing themselves in any new ways..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Man, who the hell cares if they arent trying to try new sounds. A great album is a great album. Honestly, my personal opinion, this is much more experimental then Gore was. There is a lot of weird stuff on this album

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After enough listens now to get a handle on Ohms, I fucking dig it, a lot.

Its not iconic Deftones, but it’s the album I needed right now. It might be their most cohesive effort, is the right amount of compressed relentlessness, and has a ferocity that feels familiar, but is also timely and long enough departed from their other recent work that it maintains a unique freshness in relation to the rest of the catalogue. Not a skippable track to be found. And it seems like there is a connected progression from KNY, which to me was their biggest achievement since Self Titled.

I love this band, and I love that they are still capable of making a record like this. I sincerely hope it isn’t (and no reason to suspect it would be), but if this is the last great Deftones album I think it’s something to be proud of. Well done boys.