Page 82 of 101 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Gore and SNW I'd say. Cherry Waves, Mein, Xerxes, Riviere... Kimdracula... Rats... So hard to point else where in the discography to find like songs.
    Urantia is a lot like Cherry Waves though. Headless has elements of Tropics by Palms. There's some LMRL in Ceremony. Error has a bit of Pittura/Geometric, and heavy Xenon vibes throughout as far as abes drumming goes. Maybe some rubico
    You are not making me excited for Error my man! You just listed the three songs I could do without off of Gore (Pittura/Geometric/Xenon). I just looked at the tracklist and I seriously think Gore would be a much more cohesive album without those three. They seem uninspired to me (agree that Xenon has an interesting drum take but the shit sound kills it for me). Everything else is great, P/T, Acid Hologram, Hearts/Wires, LMIRL, Rubicon are right up there with some of the best stuff they’ve done.

Funny what you mention about Urantia sounding like Cherry Waves...I just read someone on FB comparing Headless to Cherry Waves.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Xenon and Pittura are probably my least favorite on gore as well but Geometric Headdress is a big favorite.

But yeah error, has one really great part to it with some great vocals by Chino, some riffs that are kind of like the verse from geometric. The back half on error is not great. The front half is bizarrely a lot like the Immigration Song.

The Xenon drum DNA is in the whole album

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy shit, I need to hear this record! I'm so pumped to listen it at midnight! Reading everybody's thoughts on each track is so exciting, The Spell of Mathematics, Urantia, and Pompeji sound awesome just judging by what's been said about them. Gonna have my headphones ready so I can dive in straight away!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The back half on error is not great
    Hah! I think the complete opposite.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    New drip is out there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm gonna be harsh. My heart is absolutely not into this album. I love Deftones. I will always be there when a new album drop. I still hope to see them next year. But I can't care about this new album right now. Maybe later. Musically I think Ohms is fantastic! But Chino's melodies are uninteresting for my taste, and the chorus never grabs my attention. I never enjoyed Team Sleep, Palms or Gore and Ohms reminds me of those albums.
    Great songs: Genesis, Ohms, The Link Is Dead. Atrocious: Pompeji. The rest is fine really.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    On a second and third listen i gotta say: "Urantia", "Error" and "Pompeji" are my favorite tracks, so far.

*Edit* "Radiant City" has also become a favorite!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 09-24-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Flac version is outttt! Headphone time.

On repeated listens and finally reading all the lyrics, I have to say Urantia, Radiant City and Pompeji are my favorite lyrically, while TPOM, Headless and Radiant City are on top for me musically.

Reading the lyrics though, there is an underlying, haunting theme throughout the entire album. Mentions of honey, tombs, ghosts, ashes, debris, love after death. Feels like a ghosts journey that questions what he/she has lost, trying to differentiate the limbo between life and death or not being able to fully move on.

Also, the title "Ohms" makes so much more sense to me: "The ohm is defined as an electrical resistance between two points of a conductor when a constant potential difference of one volt, applied to these points, produces in the conductor a current of one ampere, the conductor not being the seat of any electromotive force."
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-24-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    -Love Pompeji for the atmosphere. Not sure about the seagulls, might take some getting used to.
    -Radiant City has such an amazing chorus.
    -If This Link Is Dead doesn't match the ferocity of older stuff like When Girls... it's close. Chino sounds PISSED.
    -Headless is one of the best jams ever. Love how it switches moods seemingly effortlessly.

Gonna be spinning this one for some time. And it's got me re-listening to Gore, too. There's still a lot there I find questionable, but I might have to re-evaluate it a bit because Prayers/Triangles is much, MUCH better than I remember.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Alright, here is my long as review of this album

Genesis - This is a great album opener and a great 2nd single from the album. It starts off with a Koi no Yokan esq opening, reminds me a bit of Rosemary before it slams into the main heaviness, reminding me off something from Saturday Night Wrist. It's got power, Chino is screaming his head off as he is known for. I love the vocal modulations on chino through out the song. Great chorus. Im able to hear the synths and bass pretty well, which is a complete 180 from how it sounded on Gore. I like this song quite a bit. Great moment to start the album with. I give it a solid 8/10

Ceremony - The song begins very quite actually, very like muted picking, hardly any distortion at all. It's a lot more subdue then the last song. Reminds me of a song like "RX Queen" or "What Happened To You?" but if it sounded like if it was Gore. It's an interesting sound really. It has a really great chorus though, nice riffs. The middle of the songs breaks down in a very quite, atmospheric section, just light guitar riffs before it slams back into the chrous. Think of some songs off Koi no Yokan like Tempest. It's a pretty decent song that i'd give about a 6/10

Urantia - Okay, this song is awesome. It has this weird mix of Adrenaline, Around the Fur and Saturday Night Wrist. Fast chugging riffs, Abe is slamming on those drums too, a lot harder than normally. Already, this album is a lot more riff heavy and less on the droning side that Gore was. A lot less mindless chugging. You can tell Stef had a lot more in the writing already. I love the chorus of this song. It has a really really strong melody, chord pression. But them it suddenly goes into this weird trip hop break, like something like Lucky You or Pink Cellphone. Now don't get worried, its only sonic wise and not lyric wise. The lyrics a lot more....tasteful then something like Pink Cellphone. This is defiantly one of my faves off the album for sure a solid 9/10

Error - And i thought the last song sounded weird. This one is even more bizarre. I starts off with this really dissonant fuzz guitar noise before into this drum grove that has VERY strong White Pony vibes before mixing it up with the low riffs from something like Diamond Eyes. It's got a really great grove, good chorus. But them unexpecting, the song just deicides to go "Hey fuck this sound, lets sound like Sextape now". It's actually really pretty, a total 180 from what we just heard. It's a bit jarring at first but it works really well. I love this song a lot too, tied with the last song on faves. Another solid 9/10

The Spell of Mathematics - Sadly, this song has a really major problem. It sounds like noise. It's very compressed, the guitar's are really muddy, Chino's voice is mixed really low and the bass is also lower in the mix. I don't understand what the fuck went wrong with the mixing on this song. The song is....really odd. It goes from really chugging vibes like a song like Gore or CMND/CTRL then it goes it this weird muted plucky part. Its....odd. It's experimental, that's for sure, but I don't think it really work on this song that well. ALSO GOD DAMN IT BOOST ABES PART. I CAN HEAR WHAT HE'S PLAYING AND IT SOUNDS COOL BUT I CAN BARELY HEAR IT AAAAAAAAAAAA. The ending of the song is on the atmospheric side. soft chords, abe's synths with claps, dirty bass that alternates back and forth from that part to the chugging parts. The song is fine, but its nothing i'd probably return too. 5/10

Pompeji - This is....another odd one. It starts with some chorused guitar with some weird drum grooves. It has a weird grove before it slams into a hard ass pre chorus. Reminds me again of the song Gore. Chino is screaming about Jesus Christ or something along that. It's got it good grove though. Very headbanging. The main chorus is kinda weak though, i prefer the pre chorus. But the oddest thing about this song is how it ends. I shit you not, it ends with the sounds of water waves and seagulls chirping that Chino recorded himself apparently with soft swelling synths. It just decided to turn into a soft ambient song. What the hell. It's not a bad thing though and its actually very relaxing. I dig it actually, not bad at all. 7/10

The Link Is Dead - This is one of the hardest hitting songs. Reminds me a lot of the Self Titled album and you know me, that's my fave album so that's always welcome. It reminds me of a song like When Girls Telephone Boys, but not as hard hitting. It's got a lot of riffs in the verse and Chino is screaming his head off once again but.....holy shit the tone of the distortion on his voice hurts my ears really bad. Its very brittle and ear piercing which is a real shame. Abe is playing his ass of as well with those cymbals. The chorus really has a S/T vibe too, its also very sludgy and doomy. The song briefly drops out before it slams back into the verse. It's a good song, but I feel Like it could of been better. 7/10

Radiant City - This song opens up with bass actually. Very fast bass, it's almost punkish which is not something i was expecting with White Pony esq drums, Soon enough, the guitar joins in with the bass groove. Chino is once again screaming on the pre chorus. The real chorus is kinda weak though. Nothing really special just kinda eh. This song and the next one kinda have their own vibe. It;s not bad but again, it's nothing really all that special. 5/10

Headless - Probably my least favorite song to be honest. It starts with some keyboard swells, some light chorused guitars, very spacy. This song really reminds me of Xenon from Gore, which is a song that I also find underwhelming. The problem with both Xenon and this song is they are both just kinda uninteresting. Nothing sticks out. The verse, the chorus, nothing pops. Nothing sticks in my head. My personal Opinion, the worst song on the album for sure. 4/10

Ohms - The first single and the closer on the album. This was a fantastic first teaser of the album. I don't think ive heard Stef write a riff like the opening or end before since like....Adrenaline and that's always a welcome. The song is very doomy and sludgy, it has an awesome groove, great vocals. Its very Saturday Night Wrist like. This is a great closer. 9/10

Finale verdict - I think this is better than Gore by a long shot. The only problems I have is that the mixing is blown out to shit . I can hear audible distortion and clipping throughout the songs as well as Chino's vocals being really low on some of the songs. Other than that, I think this is a big improvement over Gore. I'd say this is there most experimental album so far. I actively look forward to see what they do next in the future. I give this album a 7/10 and would put it as a B on the tier list

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    -If This Link Is Dead doesn't match the ferocity of older stuff like When Girls... it's close. Chino sounds PISSED. Prayers/Triangles is much, MUCH better than I remember.
    If you haven't read the lyrics yet, yes, he's going off... It's pretty relentless, just wish he was a taddd more aggressive with the vocals at times.

... And Prayers/Triangles is a top 5 Deftones song; it's haunting and beautiful.

Weakest on Ohms so far for me is Error. It meanders on for 2 minutes until it starts to get interesting.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I love Error, I love the weirdness, the dissonant noise of fuzz. I love that kind of shit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    CD is here early, loving it, sounds much better on a proper stereo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I feel like this is a special record. One listen in and I'm honestly a bit blown away.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just got an e-mail from Qobuz informing me that my order is ready. I'm downloading now, and wow! do they give you a multitude of options when you purchase in HiRes! They give you multiple tiers: 24-bit HiRes (AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless), True CD Quality (AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless), Standard Quality (320kbps; AAC, MP3, WMA), and Low Quality (128kbps; AAC, MP3, WMA). I love this! Now to let these finish so I can have my first listen.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    I just got an e-mail from Qobuz informing me that my order is ready. I'm downloading now, and wow! do they give you a multitude of options when you purchase in HiRes! They give you multiple tiers: 24-bit HiRes (AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless), True CD Quality (AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless), Standard Quality (320kbps; AAC, MP3, WMA), and Low Quality (128kbps; AAC, MP3, WMA). I love this! Now to let these finish so I can have my first listen.
    Qobuz is amazing, and I cannot praise them enough. Been using them for years. My favorite digital store along with Bandcamp. Thanks to a British friend, I have my own UK account and do not need to use a VPN. They do have a US store that opened last year or so.

Qobuz also has their own streaming service, including lossless streaming. If you pay the full year upfront on their top tier, they give you big discounts on all hi-res purchases (MP3 pricing) and let you stream hi-res.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Qobuz is amazing, and I cannot praise them enough. Been using them for years. My favorite digital store along with Bandcamp. Thanks to a British friend, I have my own UK account and do not need to use a VPN. They do have a US store that opened last year or so.

Qobuz also has their own streaming service, including lossless streaming. If you pay the full year upfront on their top tier, they give you big discounts on all hi-res purchases (MP3 pricing) and let you stream hi-res.
    Yeah! I might resubscribe. I can absolutely justify that as a tradeoff for buying a year upfront.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    First listen through, and I'm digging it! It'll definitely be on rotation for a while. One thing that threw me off is how quickly the title track fades out. I don't know how I didn't notice before, but I don't like it. I would have preferred it to draw out a little longer, it sounds too abrupt as it is.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A little over halfway through my first listen. Genesis, The Spell of Mathematics, and Pompeji are highlights so far. It definitely has some different flavors than the last few albums.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two listens in and I'm loving how atmospheric, sludgy and soundscape-y it all is! It definitely sounds like they've pulled bits and pieces from their earlier stuff but meshed it with this cool, almost futuristic experimental vibe. That riff that starts Urantia off is so badass and thrashy, and The Spell of Mathematics is a top-tier Deftones track. Pompeji is fantastic too! Digging the seagulls and the synth outro from Frank on that song, I feel like he's been given more of a spotlight on this record. Gotta give it more listens to wrap my head around everything, I'd say Headless and Error are the tracks that don't really stand out for me atm, but Ceremony's chorus is stuck in my head already!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Despite the smallest leak window ever I still managed to listen to this thing I to the ground before the actual release date, as is tradition

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Every interview they've done about this album makes sense now. I love Gore and think it's unfairly maligned. Ohms, however, feels like it fits right in line with Diamond Eyes and KNY.

The notes about The Link is Dead being as heavy as WGTB seems way overblown though.

ETA: The Spell of Mathematics, Pompeji, and Radiant City are definitely highlights. The Link is Dead might actually be my least favorite overall track.
    Last edited by Archive_Reports; 09-25-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The Link is Dead does have a S/T vibe to it but no, its not heavier than WGTB. Not by a long shot.

Now that i was able to hear the album via streaming i can defintly say i can hear the vocals much more clear. On the downside, i can hear the distortion from the clipping even more now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Listening now, shit slaps. Gonna have to listen to it at least 15-16 more times so I'm sure it's enough to have a reasonable opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    On my first listen, I wish Headless didn't have that tambourine.
    (it's damn good otherwise)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    A lean first listen.
    Urantia and Link Is Dead are standouts.
    Can't wait to go deeper into it this weekend.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    The Link is Dead does have a S/T vibe to it but no, its not heavier than WGTB. Not by a long shot
    It isn't even heavier than Bloody Cape. I'm also not getting the "Heaviest thing they've done" shtick... It isn't even close. The riff is nice but I'm not hearing it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    It isn't even heavier than Bloody Cape. I'm also not getting the "Heaviest thing they've done" shtick... It isn't even close. The riff is nice but I'm not hearing it.
    Honestly the screaming on that track is a total turn off. Seems forced.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    You need to give it time. Come back to it. In years when you've matured, you'll realize...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)