Page 79 of 101 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern I know he's made passive aggressive comments about Team Sleep in interviews past, but a lot of it is just reading between the lines: he left the SNW sessions to finish the TS album and tour behind it, and since that time they've done one fan-invite-patreon-style show and have released no new music. He never talks about it in interviews, and interviewers never ask about it, which tells me it's probably a forbidden subject before the interview starts..

Again, from 2011-2014, it seemed like Chino was popping up in a new side project every other month. Palms, Crosses, Sauldade or whatever it was called..but not once has there been any mention of new Team Sleep anything, outside of that 2014 reunion show that ultimately went nowhere (and apparently pissed a lot of fans off as opposed to what they were promised during the campaign or something)..

He's disavowed Deftones albums, he's disavowed Palms, he's made no mention of TS or Crosses in years..even looking at the song ratio chart you posted above, it isn't hard to tell where his interests lie..

That guy Vensanic or whatever he calls himself who runs the Shared Lungs fan site called them out once for playing the same old shit every night around the time of DE, and when the band played in Belgium or wherever he's from, they were trolling him from the stage all night while he watched and then ripped into Combat for the first time ever just so he'd stop whining. They have been adamant in their disdain for that guy ever since; a few of us were talking to Steph outside of the 2016 gig I saw and one guy asked him if they still kept tabs on "the Shared Lungs guy" and Steph called him a whining fuckin' pussy or something, lmao..
    Hahaaa, that is great about the sharing lungs guy. Searching for the Woodstock Sessions news, Saudade popped up and I had completely forgot about it.

I guess something fell through with Team Sleep plans they had because I rememeber them posting they were "Tinkering around with new music." and we got pretty much nothing. Just strikes me odd that the band would set up something like that show just to never elaborate on it again.

Edit: Just did some poking around and found this interview back in 2015.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/6...ream-interview

I also forgot they said they had a full albums worth of material that we never got but I just fell into a spiral of new info on sharing lungs of someone asking Todd Wilkinson on his youtube where the album is so we don't have to keep guessing and he responded saying "Some of those songs are coming out on an instrumental album, mostly me, Gil and Chuck, Crook on some, not sure of the name yet." So apparently they have been planning to release the dam thing finally.

Wow, so Chino nowhere in there. Something had to have went down then... Makes sense as to why he may not want to talk about it. Who the hell knows lol.

I remember Crosses posting a new image a few years back and then, nothing. Honestly, watching these studio updates from 2019 I feel the pandemic may have altered some of his side projects plans. Just found out Todd just needed to have heart surgery... Dam.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    Oh, wow! What are they doing?!
    Louder isn't always better. Sure, Deftones masters were always on the loud side. System Of A Down were the same. But a lot of the detail and depth get lost in these remasters. I especially noticed it with the bass guitar. Its oomph gets lost in these remasters. The smoothness lost and just becomes a wall of noise. You can be loud, but still need the detail. There are even some channel swaps in the remasters. If you look at the quiet parts, you can see the little spikes looked swapped between them.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I wonder where Chino stands politically because that could have an impact on Team Sleep and Crosses. Wilkinson is on my friends list and he posts anti Trump stuff up a lot of the time. Shaun Lopez from Crosses is on my fb and mostly he just rants and raves all day at how much he hates Trump and how stupid he thinks Trump supporters are. Meanwhile this metalcore dude Tommy Vext is good friends with Chino and that guy posts hardcore pro Trump and anti liberal stuff all the time.......so if Chino swings right these days, that could be a reason why Crosses and Team Sleep is in the graveyard
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 09-19-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Chino disavowed palms? When? Why?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I wonder where Chino stands politically because that could have an impact on TS and Crosses. Wilkinson is on my friends list and he posts anti Trump stuff up a lot of the time. Shaun Lopez from Crosses is on my fb and mostly he just rants and raves all day at how much he hates Trump and how stupid he thinks Trump supporters are. Meanwhile this metalcore dude Tommy Vext is good friends with Chino and that guy posts hardcore pro Trump and anti liberal stuff all the time.......so if Chino swings right these days, that could be a reason why Crosses and TS is in the graveyard
    Hah, at this point I wouldn't rule that out at all. Just weird like I posted above that they teased something a few years back and we got squat.

Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    they older albums from the 90s/early 00s are always going to have the benefit a 20 or more year head start when it comes to setlist stats
    Oh, you're right. I wasn't sharing those stats thinking it summed up what they play show to show; I looked at a lot of specific dates along with some others year by year and of course the ones they played earlier will have higher stats, but you slowly realize how similar their encores and setlists really are once you dive into them.

I'm a big Chevelle fan and their stats are odd lol. Point #1 they never play anything from, but their next two albums are on top, then goes to their sixth.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-19-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Louder isn't always better. Sure, Deftones masters were always on the loud side. System Of A Down were the same. But a lot of the detail and depth get lost in these remasters. I especially noticed it with the bass guitar. Its oomph gets lost in these remasters. The smoothness lost and just becomes a wall of noise. You can be loud, but still need the detail. There are even some channel swaps in the remasters. If you look at the quiet parts, you can see the little spikes looked swapped between them.
    That question was mostly rhetorical. I know all about brickwalling and I hate it. Anytime I master something I make sure that only the loudest peaks tap my ceiling. I'm not into slamming it and destroying the mix.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-19-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    What year'd the remasters happen so I know to stay the fuck away?

EDIT: NVM, I see it was 2016. Noted for the future.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    What year'd the remasters happen so I know to stay the fuck away?

EDIT: NVM, I see it was 2016. Noted for the future.
    I believe it's just that Studio Collection.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    I believe it's just that Studio Collection.
    Thee same masters are also available separately. So you really gotta look to distinguish the original masters from the remasters. White Pony is noticeable as the remaster cover art looks a lot more bluish than silver. The remasters also have hi-res options whereas the originals are only 16 bit.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-19-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Apparently in the process of leaking or has leaked... Can't find it. Found product shots though

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Thee same masters are also available separately. So you really gotta look to distinguish the original masters from the remasters. White Pony is noticeable as the remaster cover art looks a lot more bluish than silver. The remasters also have hi-res options whereas the originals are only 16 bit.
    Ugh. And they have the audacity to call them hi-res...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Apparently, Chino has also soured on the Palms stuff, calling it "disappointing" in that recent interview that HelpmeiamsuretoloveGoreoneday posted a little while back. He tracked some heavier material with those guys and then shitcanned it to work on Ohms. There was that unbelievable stretch from 2010-2014 where we got two fantastic Deftones albums, a Palms album and a Crosses album, plus they were already working on the Gore stuff..

Then 4.5 years since Gore and nothing whatsoever, save for one admittedly brilliant Chino solo song. Dude is as mercurial towards his own work as the day is long. I fully expect that by the time they are able to tour again, the entire setlist will be ATF and DE songs with a couple Adrenaline and WP songs for an encore to appease all the Tony Hawk Pro Skater fans in attendance. Hardcore fans will be screaming for anything from SNW, S/T or KNY to complete indifference by the band right before they sleepwalk (NPI) into 7 Words for the 500,000th time..
    Jesus, Palms I also have a soft spot for - some of those melodies are genuinely gorgeous, especially Shortwave Radio. I saw Deftones on the SNW tour and it was alright, but I don't really listen to much to the stuff before Self Titled, I just prefer their later output. Saw them at Leeds fest just after Diamond Eyes and it was awesome. Definitely hoping for more Team Sleep one day but whatever happens happens.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I wonder where Chino stands politically because that could have an impact on Team Sleep and Crosses. Wilkinson is on my friends list and he posts anti Trump stuff up a lot of the time. Shaun Lopez from Crosses is on my fb and mostly he just rants and raves all day at how much he hates Trump and how stupid he thinks Trump supporters are. Meanwhile this metalcore dude Tommy Vext is good friends with Chino and that guy posts hardcore pro Trump and anti liberal stuff all the time.......so if Chino swings right these days, that could be a reason why Crosses and Team Sleep is in the graveyard
    Take this with a grain of salt: when Ohms was released I posted the link to the music video on my FB and an acquaintance commented the following: "I interviewed Chino Moreno in 2018 during ACL for a rock-the-vote type of thing, and he told me the following "Dude, I don't vote. I don't believe in that shit. Never voted in my life!".

Can't blame Chino for that, you guys in America seem to have to choose between the lesser of two evils during elections (with some notable exceptions here and there).
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-20-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I wouldn't hold your breath; Chino hates that album as much as he hates S/T and maybe Gore now, too. I remember they played some one-off show in a studio barn up near Woodstock, NY awhile back and half the songs they performed weren't even on the album, lmao. That's some passive aggressive shit right there, when you have one album of material, play a one-off and only like five songs off it get played..

When I last saw Deftones in 2006, they played like four or five cuts off Gore and maybe only like one from S/T..
    Honestly, from everything ive seen, Chino is very indifferent on S/T. Ther are songs were he is very uncomfortable with like Battle-Axe but he is also gone on record to say that Anniversary is one of the proudest sounds he's ever made. Now if you want the album he really cant stand, that would be Saturday Night Wrist

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Got the record yesterday for review (Warner music seems very strict about it as it the "confidential" button is as big as ever) and it's a beast! I'm pretty d'accord with the Metal Hammer review. Had a friend over today who is a HUGE fan and he was blown away. But even as a casual fan I was surprised how much I enjoy it. It's a perfect mixture of old and new and yes, "this link is dead" is a really really mean track! Definitely a stand-out track, but so is "radiant city" with it's heavy crunch, but dreamy vocals.

It's a bold move to release two singles which are the A and O to the record, first and last song, but what lies in between is an extremely solid ride and damn, Chino is at his a-game vocal wise. I also love how bass driven the record is, the rythm section really shines on Ohms and I haven't enjoyed a Deftones record that much in years. Some real bangers on there which I can't wait to see live eventually.

Favorite tracks (curious on what you guys and girls will say next week): Genesis, Error, This Link is Dead, Radiant City

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    You fucking tease lol

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Got the record yesterday for review (Warner music seems very strict about it as it the "confidential" button is as big as ever) and it's a beast! I'm pretty d'accord with the Metal Hammer review. Had a friend over today who is a HUGE fan and he was blown away. But even as a casual fan I was surprised how much I enjoy it. It's a perfect mixture of old and new and yes, "this link is dead" is a really really mean track! Definitely a stand-out track, but so is "radiant city" with it's heavy crunch, but dreamy vocals.

It's a bold move to release two singles which are the A and O to the record, first and last song, but what lies in between is an extremely solid ride and damn, Chino is at his a-game vocal wise. I also love how bass driven the record is, the rythm section really shines on Ohms and I haven't enjoyed a Deftones record that much in years. Some real bangers on there which I can't wait to see live eventually.

Favorite tracks (curious on what you guys and girls will say next week): Genesis, Error, This Link is Dead, Radiant City
    We demand details! What are your thoughts on The Spell of Mathematics and Headless? Someone on reddit was saying Headless is one of their most crushingly beautiful songs ever..

And..is it heavy? Like, S/T and Diamond Eyes heavy?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    By all accounts it seems like a heavier album than we've come to expect from the recent Deftones albums

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Metal hammer claiming there are new songs that rival 'When Girls Telephone Boys' in terms of heaviness. LMFAO they are so full of shit. Fucking Deicide doesn't have songs that rival WGTB in intensity or heaviness. Just say the songs are as heavy as 'Leathers' and 'Rocket Skates' and leave it at that

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Metal hammer claiming there are new songs that rival 'When Girls Telephone Boys' in terms of heaviness. LMFAO they are so full of shit. Fucking Deicide doesn't have songs that rival WGTB in intensity or heaviness. Just say the songs are as heavy as 'Leathers' and 'Rocket Skates' and leave it at that
    Better to lower your expectations and be blown away than raise them up and be disappointed.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Urantia on YouTube and reddit. It's the song from the first leak

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Deftones is "He"...

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    We demand details! What are your thoughts on The Spell of Mathematics and Headless? Someone on reddit was saying Headless is one of their most crushingly beautiful songs ever..

And..is it heavy? Like, S/T and Diamond Eyes heavy?
    "Spell of mathematics" is pretty on par with "genesis" and also has a nice underlying synth structure beneath it. In terms of crushingly beautiful that might be true for the whole record even, but personally I found "headless" to be just a nice song, nothing too special, but definitely the most soothing track on the record. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that "Ohms" as a whole is one of the heaviest things they have done, it's pretty much up there with KNY and DE for me. A really nice oldschool crunch on some songs with beautiful spheric soundscapes on others.

Like I stated before, if you dig "genesis" than you will like the whole record I guess. The heavyness that the Metal Hammer guy is talking about is not to be confused with actual heavy sounds, what he means is probably Chino's vocal delivery which is insane on "this link is dead". At least I haven't had the impression that he was THAT pissed in a long time. Compared to "gore" they definitely amped it up a notch again though and I think anyone who didn't enjoy "gore" will be satisfied with "Ohms".

For me the record feels very on point, no fillers, great drive, amazing vocals and overall a very enjoyable ride on waves of anger and beauty. Like a Deftones record should be, no?
    Last edited by dlb; 09-21-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    "Spell of mathematics" is pretty on par with "genesis" and also has a nice underlying synth structure beneath it. In terms of crushingly beautiful that might be true for the whole record even, but personally I found "headless" to be just a nice song, nothing too special, but definitely the most soothing track on the record. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that "Ohms" as a whole is one of the heaviest things they have done, it's pretty much up there with KNY and DE for me. A really nice oldschool crunch on some songs with beautiful spheric soundscapes on others.

Like I stated before, if you dig "genesis" than you will like the whole record I guess. The heavyness that the Metal Hammer guy is talking about is not to be confused with actual heavy sounds, what he means is probably Chino's vocal delivery which is insane on "this link is dead". At least I haven't had the impression that he was THAT pissed in a long time. Compared to "gore" they definitely amped it up a notch again though and I think anyone who didn't enjoy "gore" will be satisfied with "Ohms".

For me the record feels very on point, no fillers, great drive, amazing vocals and overall a very enjoyable ride on waves of anger and beauty. Like a Deftones record should be, n
    Very much looking forward to this, thank you for your impressions!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Deftones is "He"...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's hard to describe my impatience at this point ... I'm losing my mind!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    You and me both! Haha.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Today i heard "Genesis" 3 times and "Ohms" 4 times, you could say i'm pretty impatient.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/deft...view-ohms.html

new Chino interview.....basically throws Gore under the bus yet again lmao

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/deft...view-ohms.html

new Chino interview.....basically throws Gore under the bus yet again lmao
    That didn't come off as throwing it under the bus to me, but more about realizing that working with a deadline like they did on that album didn't work as well, and that taking their time made Ohms much easier to get right.