Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101
Results 3,001 to 3,008 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think he's ever made a secret out of believing in intergenerational global conspiracy theories and voting conservative.

Also, in this context, the lyrics to Genesis are pretty iffy.
    He hasn't, but he does seem to be pushing them harder, and in this case he's used his fame and the discussion of the new album to bring attention to a problematic far right conspiracy channel. The above consequence of sound link, embeds the video and fails to address the nature of who is getting the views for me, it's a huge problem

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Politics aside, I realized after listening to Ohms for the first time, in a year, it's just ok.

Doomed User, and Gore pretty much shits on the entirety of Ohms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listening to the first song off ohms I get the impression he understands that all of the narratives put out in politics today are dogshit. All of them. I certainly, as a 90s liberal feel like I'm being lied to by everyone. I kind of really like that song for that reason.i forget the name of the song. I'm just so done with all of politics right now. Burn it all down...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zur En Arrh View Post
    Listening to the first song off ohms I get the impression he understands that all of the narratives put out in politics today are dogshit. All of them. I certainly, as a 90s liberal feel like I'm being lied to by everyone. I kind of really like that song for that reason.i forget the name of the song. I'm just so done with all of politics right now. Burn it all down...
    But this notion is itself just a conservative bait tactic, which why I found those lyrics so alarming from the start. So much horrible shit has happened in the name of both sidesism, and to represent the appearance of being above it all. It's a vapid projection of intellectualism at best. That attitude invites a sense of agnosticism that really empowers fascistic forces. There is a grey scale, a gradient, and claiming that you can't perceive the differences between these various ideas doesn't mean that you are more perceptive, it means that you are less perceptive. You have the privilege of indifference.

Stephen Carpenter pushing anti vax conspiracy narratives *will* pill more people to the far right and that has an impact on our rights and our safety.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    But this notion is itself just a conservative bait tactic, which why I found those lyrics so alarming from the start. So much horrible shit has happened in the name of both sidesism, and to represent the appearance of being above it all. It's a vapid projection of intellectualism at best. That attitude invites a sense of agnosticism that really empowers fascistic forces. There is a grey scale, a gradient, and claiming that you can't perceive the differences between these various ideas doesn't mean that you are more perceptive, it means that you are less perceptive. You have the privilege of indifference.
    Not only this, but both-sidesism tacitly reinforces the idea that politics is limited to the choice between conservative liberalism and progressive liberalism. (Liberalism as understood in political philosophy, not as understood in North American mainstream discourse.) Ironically, being presented with these limited options (and their corresponding narratives) is exactly what makes people feel alienated and is what puts them on edge.

Sure, sure, art is all in the eye of the beholder. Explicitly the song is about feeling reborn after finding "balance". Which is vague enough to be open to any interpretation. But in the popular reactionary conspiracy theory circles "rebirth" after "balance" generally comes down to Hobbesian social darwinism in a world trying to find the sweet spot between liberal democracy and neo-feudal capitalism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

Stephen Carpenter pushing anti vax conspiracy narratives *will* pill more people to the far right and that has an impact on our rights and our safety.
    Well tbh I'm nowhere near smart enough to deconstruct all of it to that level and I don't have the bandwidth to unravel rolls and rolls of subversion. It's all just a mess.. the " change your ways and make amends or we will" lyric from year zero is where I'm at... burn it all

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Dia de los Deftones full set:

Great setlist as always, but i was expecting a new song, humph

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Reading that they performed their cover of “if only tonight we could sleep” at Robert smith’s meltdown festival, I was reminded of my aborted quest to find the best recording/performance of them doing that song. The version on b-sides sounds flat to me; the recordings I have of the MTV icon appearance seem to be of a better performance but a worse technical capture.

Any good candidate show recordings? Did the meltdown fest show get taped?