Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Just listened to the whole album. Definitely digging it. Stef brought his A game. "This Link Is Dead" is the best song on the album. Def getting some S/T vibes from that song. This album sounds like the album that would have come out in between Diamond Eyes and KNY. Terry Dates production is amazing as usual. I see zero connection with this album and SNW or even Gore. It reminds me most of DE and KNY with a dash of S/T thrown in. Another winner for a band with a flawless discography 25 years into their career
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 09-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    That's what I'm talking about lol

I can't stand This Link is Dead, that song is super annoying to me. Maybe it's the character of the vocals that people associate with self titled? Otherwise I don't see it

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    That's what I'm talking about lol

I can't stand This Link is Dead, that song is super annoying to me. Maybe it's the character of the vocals that people associate with self titled? Otherwise I don't see it
    Once again my friend, agree to disagree. The verses of TLID remind a bit of Jizzlobber by Faith No More (possibly one of the heaviest songs in existence?). It's a great number, no, it's not as heavy as that one reviewer said but it just grooves, it jams! (for the record I think the heaviest song recorded by Deftones is Sinatra, from B Sides & Rarities).

Back to TLID: the distortion in Chino's voice is perfect here. Hopefully they play it live next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Spell of Mathematics is a classic Deftones track for me now. The way the sludgy riff transitions into the pre-chorus and then that ethereal chorus is perfect. Radiant City and Headless are growing on me more now too. Terry Date's mix is so crisp and punchy, and it's nice to hear Sergio's bass have more of a presence. His parts on Ceremony are so good! I dig how pissed Chino sounds on TLID, but it's the only track on the record that isn't really grabbing me too much. I wish there were more massive hooky choruses like in KNY too, but that's not too much of an issue. It seems like they've put more emphasis on atmosphere and mood this time around, which is cool.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Huh? I wasn't aiming that comment towards you lol. I read your post.

Sorry, dyslexia hit me hard and i didnt even see that part of your post.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Listening to this more and more and my hyperbolic praise from a couple pages back hasn't really diminished. Now that I'm used to it, it feels a little less oddball and more straightforward than I initially thought (such is the way of getting used to an album, I suppose) but these songs are all really strong. Urantia and Error especially have grown on me. Even after 8 listens or so I'm still finding new 'pockets' of enjoyment. Really solid release, and probably a top 3 or 4 Deftones album.

Probably the most surprising part of this has been that Genesis is likely my least favorite track after hearing the full album. After hearing it as a single, I figured it might be a standout. I really enjoy the track, but it definitely feels a bit... "been there, done that." I find myself getting a bit bored while listening to it, and impatient for the rest of the album to get underway, whereas I feel like a good opener would do more to amplify my excitement.

Track Ranking:

Pompeji
    Spell of Mathematics
    Headless
    Error
    Urantia
    Ohms
    Ceremony
    This Link is Dead
    Radiant City
    Genesis
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 09-26-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Sorry, dyslexia hit me hard and i didnt even see that part of your post.
    No worriesss.

I'm officially taking a break from the album over weekend. It's like when you play the same boss fight over and over again in a game; need a refresh.

My track ranks so far:

Headless
    TPOM
    Radiant City
    Ohms
    This Link Is Dead
    Pompeji
    Urantia
    Ceremony
    Genesis
    Error
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-26-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Urantia
    Genesis?
    Radiant City
    Ceremony
    Pompeji
    Headless
    Ohms
    Spell
    Error
    This link is dead

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Error
    Urantia
    Ohms
    Genesis
    This Link
    Ceremony
    Pompeji
    Radiant City
    Spell
    Headless

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i really like every song but Error. absolutely love a few of them. solid album. nothing super groundbreaking but i'm ok with that. i do miss a bit of the wild experimentation the seemed to be present on Gore, but i'm not too bothered by it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm digging the new album. Urantia is the standout for me. It doesn't top Gore just yet, but Gore is pretty high on my list. Will need more listens before I can legitimately place it. I kinda wish the production was a little more dirty sounding like Gore. It's just a tad too clean. I think these songs will sound great live.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-26-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Hah! Those lists already.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's been at least a year since we indulged in lists, and with a new alb out, i think it's really gonna blow up in here pretty soon haha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Urantia
    Pompeji
    Radiant City
    Genesis
    The Link is Dead
    Ceremony
    Ohms
    Error
    The Spell of Mathematics
    Headless

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    This album gets better and better with each listen. Best thing they have done since SNW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    TSOM
    Ceremony
    Urantia
    Pompeji
    Genesis
    Headless
    Error
    Radiant City
    TLID
    Ohms

That's where the tracks sit for me at the moment. Ohms is a bit underwhelming to me as a closer. In the context of the whole album, it has this kind of positive and almost celebratory end credits to an intense film kind of vibe, but nothing in the song really sticks out for me. I feel like Headless would've been a cool closing track if they made it longer and more experimental like Pompeji. The record's probably at the middle tier of Deftones albums for me. Not as amazing as S/T, SNW or KNY, but still good. Crazy that 9 albums in, the band is still so consistently impressive. Goes to show how much they still care about making music together.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Ohms is a bit underwhelming to me as a closer. In the context of the whole album, it has this kind of positive and almost celebratory end credits to an intense film kind of vibe, but nothing in the song really sticks out for me.
    when i heard "ohms" on its own before the album came out, i was really bummed about it being the closer. the only thing i don't like about KNY is that "what happened to you" closes out the album. i like that song, but i prefer when albums end with a bang and that feels a bit like a whimper. i thought the same thing would happen with "ohms" but in the context of the album, i ended up being totally fine with it, which surprised me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    HOnestly, Spell is starting to really grow and grow on me, i think i was too harsh on it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The only song that is weak for me is Headless

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    The only song that is weak for me is Headless
    It didn't stick out for me much on the first few listens, but now I reckon it could easily fit on Saturday Night Wrist. It has the same kind of dreamy vibes especially with that nice shoegazy guitar line at the start and the chorus. Has anyone got the gold vinyl version of the album? I pre-ordered it from my local record shop, but it seems there's supply issues over here in Australia, and it won't be released til October 9.

It'll be so good to see the Ohms tracks played live once everything gets back to normal. Urantia with that crazy riff will be awesome to hear at a show for sure!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    This album is a masterpiece. Best thing they have done since SNW.....Time for an updated favorite Deftones album ranking

1. Self Titled
    2. Saturday Night Wrist
    3. Around The Fur
    4. Adrenaline
    5. Ohms
    6. Diamond Eyes
    7. Koi No Yokan
    8. White Pony
    9. Gore

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Deftones
    Koi No Yokan
    Diamond Eyes
    Around the Fur
    Gore
    Ohms
    White Pony
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Adrenaline

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Koi No Yokan
    Ohms
    Diamond Eyes
    Around the Fur
    Deftones
    White Pony
    Gore
    Adrenaline

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    White Pony
    Self Titled
    Gore
    Around The Fur
    Ohms
    Koi No Yokan
    Diamond Eyes
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Adrenaline

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hmmm... I'll give this a go:

Deftones
    Diamond Eyes
    Koi No Yokan
    White Pony
    Around the Fur
    Ohms
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Gore
    Adrenaline

Shit, this is tough. I think I'm going to need to listen to Ohms more before I can give it a proper spot. I've already moved it twice.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-28-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I have to give this another listen through good headphones, but hot damn this is some good stuff. I totally understand why "Mathematics" is getting the love (and hate) it is, I'm in the first camp.

It was just nice to lay back on the couch and let this soak in. I have to do more first listens that way.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    It didn't stick out for me much on the first few listens, but now I reckon it could easily fit on Saturday Night Wrist. It has the same kind of dreamy vibes especially with that nice shoegazy guitar line at the start and the chorus. Has anyone got the gold vinyl version of the album? I pre-ordered it from my local record shop, but it seems there's supply issues over here in Australia, and it won't be released til October 9.

It'll be so good to see the Ohms tracks played live once everything gets back to normal. Urantia with that crazy riff will be awesome to hear at a show for sure!
    Headless is my favorite atm. The change up in the middle followed by the atmosphere is addictive to me. I ordered the edition and zine they had on their website and it shipped late but it's coming on my birthday so thats cool.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I have to also mention Abe's drums on this. So thick in the mix, it's just awesome. The power on them.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I need to give Diamond Eyes and KNY deeper listens before I can make a list. I missed those years and started listening to Deftones again when Gore was released