Page 44 of 101 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw a torrent of Gore a few hours ago as it turned out to be a fake and it has been removed just now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I got a fever, and the only prescription is a high quality leak of Gore..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    In the works. The various platforms are paid for, but they are still needing to fund the "advertising/campaigning" and cross-platform Cloud storage. They put Cloud storage financing last so there should be a viable commercial product once the Social aspect is paid for, with perhaps the Cloud storage portion being a later update.
    Haha and yet, no Foobar2000 for Mac. Yet another reason why Apple sucks.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Haha and yet, no Foobar2000 for Mac. Yet another reason why Apple sucks.
    One of very few regrets I have about my switchover. It runs fine in Wine but it's a massive RAM hog.

And, uh... Deftones! Woo! Waiting for the real thing to come out.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Great interview. So many things to glean from what Chino talks about here, including some shockers and some not-so-shockers

- Eros was apparently a meandering jam session mess at the time of Chi's accident, and they still had another six months of writing and production to go? I wonder how this will rub off on the legions of Deftones fans who hold that unheard session up on this glorified pedestal of Holy Grail proportions..

- I would be okay if they never played anything off Adrenaline again. That record is decent as far as scrappy, aggressive punk-metal albums go, but by the time ATF arrived two years later, they completely eclipsed it and had evolved so much, it was like a different band. ATF still, to this day, is my favorite album they've done and still sounds unlike anything else of its time or since. The songs, the musicianship, the flow...everything is perfect on that record. I just wish Damone wasn't buried 35 fucking minutes after MX ends..

- Even Chino hates SNW, and thinks its a boring, Frankensteined pile of crap. I just don't see that at all though. That record has always struck me as being a complete whole, under one dark atmospheric roof, as opposed to albums like DE, Adrenaline, White Pony and S/T, where the songs are so drastically different from one another they feel like a collection of songs and not necessarily a unified piece.

- In the end, artistry will always be far more precious and stand the test of time than flavor of the month fame. Nobody gives a fuck about bands like Korn or Limp Bizkit or any of the thousand other shit nu-metal acts of that time who either vanished long ago or embarrass themselves with the music they make today. Didn't Korn make a fucking dubstep album or something a few years back? Deftones are about to drop an album that -- by all current accounts -- is unlike anything they or anyone else has ever done, and will be a blueprint for a new sound in hard rock for years to come. You can't put a price on artistic integrity like that.

- S/T under-appreciated? Not by a mile. I see almost as many fans claiming that album as their favorite as I do fans championing WP and ATF. Many feel S/T was their last true raw, aggressive album, which I guess I can understand since it's the last one Terry Date recorded with them.

- According to Adrenaline's Wiki page, Bored was released as the album's second single exactly 20 years ago today

- Sadly, the interviewer completely bypassed the KNY era, which is my second favorite album they've done. Would have loved to hear more from Chino about the positive and creative headspace they were in for that record

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I actually don't mind SNW. Not their best or their worst. Adrenaline is easily my least favorite of theirs. The self titled album is pretty good too. How can you not like Battle Axe? Adrenaline is the only album I can't get into. Everything else is pretty good, in my book. Have yet to put out an album I can't connect with (not counting the first one. I started with ATF).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    SNW is the favorite of a lot of people on this board, including myself. Deftones just can't see it beyond the bad experience they had creating it, unfortunately. SNW has my favorite Abe moments and my favorite Chino singing moments. Also has some really technical time wimey stuff that I am into. It's a great record that doesn't deserve the foul treatment it gets.

While that may be my favorite, perhaps because of Newness, gore may be propelled to second place, over ATF, currently. I think SNW and ATF hold those positions s partly by nostalgia aND what I was going through at the time.

While I love them both, I don't feel as strongly about Diamond Eyes of KNY as when they first came out. Still Gore holds the distinction of not having any tracks I feel inclined to skip yet. That may change.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Still Gore holds the distinction of not having any tracks I feel inclined to skip yet. That may change.
    Dudes over at SL keep marveling at how weird Geometric Headdress is. What's your take on it?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    - Eros was apparently a meandering jam session mess at the time of Chi's accident, and they still had another six months of writing and production to go? I wonder how this will rub off on the legions of Deftones fans who hold that unheard session up on this glorified pedestal of Holy Grail proportions..
    Because of quotes like that from Chino, I'm thinking a good chunk of the album isn't finalized, and many of the songs still sound like the SNW instrumental sessions that leaked out. That might be the reason, as much as any other, why it hasn't been released yet. I also think its premature for any fan to think of it as this unreleased masterpiece, although the finished songs I heard from it, Smile and Melanie, are awesome.

Yeah, I liked SNW as well, especially after I rearranged the songs into an order I liked. Chino doesn't think much of it, and that also has to do with how unpleasant the making of it was, but hopefully he can come to see that there is a lot of good things going on in that record. It has some of their most melodic moments, and the heavy tracks Rapture and Rats are some of their best shredders.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I've suspected that about Eros for a long time, that it wasn't nearly finished. I think the going thought is that there around six listenable tracks. Obviously there's "Smile" and they've talked about "putting some of those songs on" while hanging out. Something listenable exists.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Yeah, I liked SNW as well, especially after I rearranged the songs into an order I liked.
    Ooh! I love seeing/listening to alternate tracklists/running orders! Would you mind sharing your alternate running order?

Also, with all this SNW talk, let's not forget the awesome demo FYIHYD:
    Last edited by The Doctor; 04-05-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Saturday Night Wrist" is awesome, but enough; i already defended the album many times in this very thread...
    I also think that "Adrenaline" hasn't aged well... it does have it's "90's charm" (and fuckin' "Engine No. 9!) but it's best to leave it forgotten; both "Around the Fur" and "White Pony" surpassed that album by a mile.
    I downloaded "Gore", but haven't listened because the rip is very low quality and my physical copy arrives on Friday, bummer...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    @NYRexall Geometric Head reds is a bit of an odd song in that it doesn't feel particular cohesive, and because of this it is one of the albums weaker tracks. I still likeep it overall.

It's very fast paced. A rumbling, adventurous, bass driven riff leads into a harmonic syncopation on the guitars that sounds a lot like a bouncy Graphic Nature, that build to a brief resolve with some melodies from chino, and these parts trade off a bit before the chorus, with a crunchy groove and Abe hitting the symbols on the off beat.

So it's strange in a lot of ways

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "Saturday Night Wrist" is awesome, but enough; i already defended the album many times in this very thread...
    I also think that "Adrenaline" hasn't aged well... it does have it's "90's charm" (and fuckin' "Engine No. 9!) but it's best to leave it forgotten; both "Around the Fur" and "White Pony" surpassed that album by a mile.
    I downloaded "Gore", but haven't listened because the rip is very low quality and my physical copy arrives on Friday, bummer...
    I still love every song on Adrenaline. In fact, the faves changed over time – where I used to be all about Bored, 7 Words, and Engine, now I'm all about Minus Blindfold, Lifter, Fist. No love lost for the old faves, just learned appreciation for what I previously considered b-reel.

Though it's partially because I got into the band when they only had two records. You learn to love/not mind the production difference real fastlike.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The bass in Phantom Bride with headphones is pretty dam amazing. Just fell in love that song.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I like how, in the Spin interview, Chino refuses to name Korn, even though he recorded "Wicked" with them and . He also says "And I got in a lot of trouble for calling out other bands at the time for not really [evolving], but still writing songs about how it sucks to be a kid." And I remember this incident, too. Curiously, they did tour with Korn three years after that, as part of Family Values 2006.

I had also found it funny that both Deftones and Korn attemted to re-invent themselves with Diamond Eyes and Korn III: Remember Who You Are, and that both bands used analog equipment to record. And, while Diamond Eyes is obviously superior to Korn III, the latter holds a special place in my weird little heart. I loved how everything in that record sounded sloppy and awful. They had tried to recapture the spirit of their first record (even working together with Ross Robinson, who tortured the band like it was nobody's business) and instead came up with a beautifully whiny, epically disjointed mess. I love that shitty, broken-ass record. Both Korn III and Diamond Eyes had saved my mind from exploding in 2010.

Call me crazy, but I actually hope Deftones and Korn make amends to each other. They could teach Korn how to grow up musically. They sorely need it, especially now that they have mostly faded now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    hard to take that interview serious when Chino calls SNW a piece of shit when a lot of people including me think its a fucking masterpiece....and ST is also a brilliant album because it was their raw dirty "fuck you" album to everyone who hopped on the white pony bandwagon....

the 2 songs that have aged the worst on Adrenaline (7 Words/engine no.9) are the 2 songs they still play to this day almost every show...the songs that aged the best (lifter/root/bored) they never play...go figure

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I've actually always hated the shit out of Bored. Also Nosebleed, 7 Words... *shrug*

Oh! And back to school! Man I hate Back to School. Why they swapped it in for boys republic will always be a mystery to me
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 04-05-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I got a fever, and the only prescription is a high quality leak of Gore..
    Yeh, where is this shit? Damn!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If they loathe Back to School so much, why do they play it live? I saw it on the KNY tour. ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got an email from a friend that's supposed to be flac of the album. I only have access to an iPad at the moment so I can pm someone.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I hear it's like three songs in one that just keep reverting back into one another at breakneck pace
    Exactly. Nits like they had three verses left over from trading ideas remotely and decided they all belonged on the same track

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if it's the same as the April Fool's joke, but there's a fake 320 rip making the rounds with a size of 113 MB... No bueno, folks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ugh...want. digital. so. bad.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Listening to that leak and kicking myself for not pre-ordering. Ugh. I really hope that they play a lot of this new material on the upcoming tours.

And plz drop Back To School... I forgot that it even existed until it was mentioned here. Not that any Deftones tracks are terrible.. but that song is almost a joke amidst the rest of their catalog.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ugh it sounds amazing. just preordered the double white vinyl and it'll be here on friday! amazon prime ftw. and thats a double purchase from me with the ticketmaster album bundle as well. gonna have digital, cd and vinyl for the 1st time in years.

p.s. for the love of god turn frank up! its so much better than in the past but still, he needs a solid boost imo. hes adding so much atmosphere that gets lost in the distortion.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    hard to take that interview serious when Chino calls SNW a piece of shit when a lot of people including me think its a fucking masterpiece....
    Because, for them, SNW is plagued with bad memories. Chino had almost left the band. and he hated the songwriting process. The band had lots of fights and many parts of it were cobbled together from various sessions. They probably know the audience liked it, but they don't want to remember that era.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Geometric Headdress is one of the best things they've done. I love it.

Not a big fan of "Gore" the song though...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Finally listened since a CD Rip is out now, and man, this album is probably genuinely the first time I've ever felt somewhat disappointed in a new Deftones album on the first listen in the seventeen years that I've listened to them.

It's not bad by any means, but some of the songs just sound too generic radio rock/metal at times. There are still quite a few really high notes on this album though. Acid Hologram, Hearts/Wires, (L)Mirl, and Rubicon are all really great tracks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is an odd one. I'm glad it doesn't familiar, and I hate that it doesn't sound familiar enough. Make sense? I wouldn't have become a Deftones fan with this album. I've only listen to it once, I'm curious how I'll feel about it on subsequent listen (of a better rip/cd). Prayers/Triangle and Hearts/Wired are my fav so far.