Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just listened to the album for the second time through. To me, this album definitely has a 'Diamond Eyes Pt. II' vibe to it, with a little less pop and a little more depth. It's very lush. Liking it a lot so far, and it's only gonna grow on me. My favorites so far are "Entombed", "Rosemary", and "Tempest".

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    My beer is with the whole song in general. It just seems really emotionless to me compared to the other songs on the album as a whole. I've skipped it every time I listen to SNW since the first listen and has a Back to School relationship with me.
    This thread has officially replaced beef with beer.
    About to smoke a bowl or two, Ill come back in an hour if I dont pass out and give you my stoner review.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Yuuuuup. Fucking GOON SQUAD. OMG.
    Yeah it's got that instant Deftones sound to it. Like it could have been on any album. It's what I came to the party for.

It's also groovey as all get out.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    This thread has officially replaced beef with beer.
    About to smoke a bowl or two, Ill come back in an hour if I dont pass out and give you my stoner review.
    I'm with you on the smoking the bowl comment.. new Deftones is a perfect treat for that my friend.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm three tracks in and I'm digging on this a lot so far. It's extremely layered which I felt wasn't going on in Diamond Eyes, Diamond Eyes to me was a very Around the Fur sounding record and a lot of those tracks didn't do anything for me. Felt a little too radio friendly at times.

I'm getting a really big SNW and White Pony vibe from these first couple of tracks. Sounding really good so far, my taste has changed immensely since I first fell in love with White Pony in 2003 and Deftones became one of those bands I obsessed over...but I love how bands from your youth continue to put out genuinely good records.

Entombed. Oh yeah...sounding really good.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Hahahaha this shit is fucking deviant and I love it. It's only one listen in but it honestly could be my favorite Deftones record. It's basically flawless, and the layering is sheer genius. It's the perfect storm of everything that makes this band great. Truly a pinnacle achievement for them. Fun time to be a fan.

I really hope they play a ton of stuff from this when they tour again in the spring.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Fuck it, I'll be able to buy it from the shops in 14 hours, I'll just wait.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't have any "Beer" with Koi No Yokan, it's fuckin awesome!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Album isn't what I was expecting, I think? Diamond Eyes set the bar very high for me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I think it's safe to say it's as good as Diamond Eyes, i don't think it surpasses the album but it's not a bad work i the same line of what they been doing since Saturday Night Wrist

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I owe this album a beer instead. Just awesome on every level after 2-3 complete listens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I downloaded a fan made 'greatest hits' the other day, the first I'd really listened to any deftones and enjoyed a lot of it then got the new album today and it is fantastic, listened to it while at the gym and really enjoyed the full thing

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    MUCH better than Diamond Eyes imo. DE had me bored on some songs that just dragged on for me, but this album catches my attention in every song. The music is just do dam tight this time around.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    After only a couple listens, it just isn't grabbing me like DE and SNW.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Its definitely better than diamond eyes! Although i cant get into the first two tracks, everything else is really solid. Tempest, which i didnt like at first. Has become one of my favorite tracks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    No doubt, there are some great individual songs...not sure yet on the album as a whole though.

The songs and production gone for here tend to make it all blend together considerably (not talking about segues). It makes for a less identifiable experience.

Interesting point to observe in the album chronology.

I feel like there are some more post-metal and prog-metal sounds here. The drumming is at times pretty different for Abe. What is that...Isis vibe? And sometimes I feel like a bit of Crosses spirit crept in.

Some sure good shit:

Swerve City
    Leathers
    Entombed
    Tempest
    Rosemary

Poltergeist is like Rocket Skates meets Rapture (I think that's it...), with a gaze side, but it falls forgettably flat for me. For now...

Gauze has some Opeth type riff in the verse. lol Actually the only section I like in that one.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Entombed, takes you places.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have spent an hour trying to get this including get metal which gave me a zip that I can't open on my MBP for some reason.

Can someone PM me a working link? Thanks!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    No doubt, there are some great individual songs...not sure yet on the album as a whole though. The songs and production gone for here tend to make it all blend together considerably (not talking about segues). It makes for a less identifiable experience.Interesting point to observe in the album chronology. I feel like there are some more post-metal and prog-metal sounds here. The drumming is at times pretty different for Abe. What is that...Isis vibe? And sometimes I feel like a bit of Crosses spirit crept in. Some sure good shit:Swerve CityLeathersEntombedTempestRosemaryPoltergeist is like Rocket Skates meets Rapture (I think that's it...), with a gaze side, but it falls forgettably flat for me. For now...Gauze has some Opeth type riff in the verse. lol Actually the only section I like in that one.
    I agree with you on the post-modern/prog endBut its interesti g that you mention the individual sons vs. The album as a whole. I definitely feel like this a case of the whole beijg better than the sum of its parts. The album definitel has its skippables, like anything else from the deftones, but taking it in as a whole improves the songs i cant really get in to.There are quite a few highlight tracks here though, and the occassional grower. You got your classic deftones (poltergeist, goon squad) your lighter, fluffy, cherry waves style deftones (entombed, closing track) and you got some new territory (tempest, leathers).Its a solid outting. Dissapointingly, i t lacks the rhyth m ic conplexity of SNW, but tries to make up for it with its strange combination of injovation and familiarity. I think its a great album, as ever with these guys. I dont know if its their best.... but it could be.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingSheep View Post
    I have spent an hour trying to get this including get metal which gave me a zip that I can't open on my MBP for some reason.

Can someone PM me a working link? Thanks!
    Check your PM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Right this instant, if I only take the verses, Swerve City feels like Mein. Seriously! Listen to the first verse, then skip to the other song.

This album is technically excellent. I'm just not that into Deftones anymore. I'm not excited anymore. But it IS excellent. I'm glad there are way more heavy songs, and the "softer" songs are better than anything on SNW. I'm no fan of SNW, really enjoyed Diamond Eyes and this one has a new feel while keeping some references to the 2 previous albums.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Rosemary is one of their best songs ever.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Definitely not White Pony 2. But I'm okay with that. Nothing will ever touch that majestic album, just like Soundgarden won't do another Superunknown. Too perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first 2 listens didn't do it for me.
    But the 3rd time BAM, it clicked.
    Nice album.
    For me this album has the SNW feel, even the front cover art has the same type of letters as SNW.

They've got THEIR sound, you listen and you know it's Deftones.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Could be the best Deftones album. Seriously. Cannot wait to get it on vinyl! Ah, I mean I hope there will be a vinyl version in the near future.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Poltergeist is amazing. Classic, heavy Deftones right here. And who is impressed with the vocals and bass lines? Chinos range is amazing here and Vega is on the top of his game on the groovey lines on this album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm really digging the Deftones material produced by Nick Raskulinecz (I had to check to see if I was getting this mofo's name right).
    Both Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are amazing albums.I'm liking the second a little bit more even when DA has some of my favorite songs from them.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This is turning my crank. May even become the first album I've bought in ages!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Poltergeist is amazing. Classic, heavy Deftones right here. And who is impressed with the vocals and bass lines? Chinos range is amazing here and Vega is on the top of his game on the groovey lines on this album.
    Yeah this track is starting to kick my ass. Stef and Sergio's tones on this track are earth rattling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hoooooly crap.
    Is it wrong of me to say I'm starting to like this album as a whole more than White Pony?