Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah Saturday Night Wrist was always one of my favorite albums. At one point, it was even my number one favorite.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The Stallion is out roaming the kingdom, if you will.

Digging the fuuuuuck out of this so far.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The remixes sound like if Crosses recorded White Pony. That's not a bad thing, i'm liking them so far.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Did Chino redo any vocal parts or is it the same vocal tracks?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Did Chino redo any vocal parts or is it the same vocal tracks?
    Just finished and I heard nothing new from him (I could be wrong). This is a nice little getaway album if you want to turn your brain off from all the nonsense this year. The Phantogram remix did not disappoint .

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really like the RX Queen remix.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Either the Pink Maggot or Change remixes are my favorite of the bunch, but they're all real solid. I'm amazed at how seamless the whole album sounds.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It seems like this is a new remaster of White Pony, not the same remaster from 2016 when they digitally reissued the albums separately and as the Studio Collection.

Top is the new 20th anniversary remaster
    Middle is the 2016 remaster
    Bottom is original 2000 master

The 2016 is like 98% solid brick. The 2020 has some slight peaks/thoughs where the 2016 was solid brick. It's better than 2016, but still brickwalled though, just not as much. I still prefer the original master. It's less grating, warmer, thicker.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It’s pretty much impossible to eyeball how bricked they are, beyond “they’re bricked to some extent”. You need to run it through that DR calculator, *after* normalising.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Have you guys heard this yet? Amazing.

https://www.stereogum.com/2110192/ca...-moreno/music/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    It’s pretty much impossible to eyeball how bricked they are, beyond “they’re bricked to some extent”. You need to run it through that DR calculator, *after* normalising.
    Yes, you can visually see if something is brickwalled. Just look at the peaks and troughs of the waveform.

Taken from a site about DR ratings...
    "Dynamic range compression is done at the mastering stage or sometimes during the mixing process before the CD has even been pressed. Albums with high levels of dynamic compression (low DR scores) have very small differences between the softest and loudest sounds, and their waveforms appear as near solid lines instead of large peaks and valleys. A common term for this type of compression is “brickwall”.

Megadeth - Liar (1988) DR10

Megadeth - Headcrusher (2009) DR6 "Brickwall"

You can easily visually see the peaks and troughs. Deftones were always loud, even in 2000, but these remasters are making it worse.

White Pony 2016 remaster has an average DR05, with a min. of 04 and max. 08
    White Pony 2000 original master has an average DR07, with a min. of 05 and max. of 10

But a DR ratings only tells you so much.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-11-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just finished and I heard nothing new from him (I could be wrong). This is a nice little getaway album if you want to turn your brain off from all the nonsense this year. The Phantogram remix did not disappoint .
    This is a solid remix album, great headphones album, and as always, great music for a night drive. Like you said, the Street Carp remix is awesome.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Yes, you can visually see if something is brickwalled. Just look at the peaks and troughs of the waveform.
    Yawn, you are literally repeating what I just wrote. Let’s not derail this thread, especially if you aren’t going to read the posts you’re replying to.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Wasn't a fan of the digital artwork for this so I made an alternate cover for Black Stallion. Feel free to use it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    This is a solid remix album, great headphones album, and as always, great music for a night drive. Like you said, the Street Carp remix is awesome.
    I didn't even get to headphones yet, and I was pretty much dreaming in my car lol. Going to listen with no interruption this time around.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yawn, you are literally repeating what I just wrote. Let’s not derail this thread, especially if you aren’t going to read the posts you’re replying to.
    You literally said it is impossible to see how bricked these are. You can quite easily see these are quite, quite bricked. That 2016 master is some of the worst I've ever seen. This 2020 one ain't much better, but it is slightly less bricked. You can clearly see which master is more bricked than the other. Unless you wanna quibble over a brickwalled waveform vs an ever so slightly less brickwalled waveform. When your finished master is a blue rectangle, a solid block... not good. Not good at all. Perhaps, since you're yawing, you should go get some sleep and sharpen yourself back up so you can see how bricked these are.

P.S. If you want better DR, the 2010 vinyl reissue has a much better rating.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-11-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So according to Spotify, Deftones is my top band for two years straight. I'm addicted to them the way I was with NIN at 14, heh. Koi No Yokan has been one of my all times favorites.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    You literally said it is impossible to see how bricked these are.
    Sorry. I didn’t need to be as sharp as I was. Not sure why I was in a bad mood last night. What I intended with what I wrote was that you cannot eyeball *compare* how bricked they are. I agree entirely that you can look at the last two masters and say “yup, they look bricked”. But I don’t think you can meaningfully say “this one is less bricked than that one” when they’re both pretty much solid blocks. It’s at that point of comparison you need to do something else. Hence measuring the dynamic range. Or, as you quite rightly suggest, try listening to them (double blind of course). And, here’s assuming that all else is equal in the mixes too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sorry. I didn’t need to be as sharp as I was. Not sure why I was in a bad mood last night. What I intended with what I wrote was that you cannot eyeball *compare* how bricked they are. I agree entirely that you can look at the last two masters and say “yup, they look bricked”. But I don’t think you can meaningfully say “this one is less bricked than that one” when they’re both pretty much solid blocks. It’s at that point of comparison you need to do something else. Hence measuring the dynamic range. Or, as you quite rightly suggest, try listening to them (double blind of course). And, here’s assuming that all else is equal in the mixes too.
    It's OK. I still love you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Have you guys heard this yet? Amazing.

https://www.stereogum.com/2110192/ca...-moreno/music/
    Once again I have to thank this band for showing me great new music. Started listening to Caroline Polachek and her music is great! That remix is also the bomb!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Some of these alright but taking these songs and overhauling them with bland genre tropes strips them of all identity.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This remix album was 50/50 for me. Some great ones and some that just sounded like they threw some chopped up vocal bits over a completely different original tune from that "remixer" with no connection to the original Deftones song.

I would say Purity Ring is the best one. Blanck Mass, Salva, and Squarepusher are pretty cool too.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-13-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Deftones

That's not uncommon for remixing in those particular genres. I remember buying Orgy's "Blue Monday" single as a kid and it had different remixes on it. I recall not really getting into it because most of them were the chopped up vocal bits approach paired with a house beat. Hell, you can even find similar on The Perfect Drug Remixes. If I recall correctly, hardly any of them have the full lyrics, just a repeat of "you are the perfect drug". Anyway, I dig Black Stallion. It flows incredibly well. The songs on their own aren't all going to be ones you'll want to put on repeat, but, in context of the album, I think they're well done. This is something I'll put on when I just want to relax. It's definitely got a solid vibe to it.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 12-12-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    That's not uncommon for remixing in those particular genres. I remember buying Orgy's "Blue Monday" single as a kid and it had different remixes on it. I recall not really getting into it because most of them were the chopped up vocal bits approach paired with a house beat. Hello, you can even find similar on The Perfect Drug Remixes. If I recall correctly, hardly any of them have the full lyrics, just a repeat of "you are the perfect drug". Anyway, I dig Black Stallion. It flows incredibly well. The songs on their own aren't all going to be ones you'll want to put on repeat, but, in context of the album, I think they're well done. This is something I'll put on when I just want to relax. It's definitely got a solid vibe to it.
    Precisely. I rememeber deluxe editions in the past of any bands album that showcased 3 remixes and I never really enjoyed them. From what you explained, the style most of them held were very similar. This is a niche remix album when you wanna lay down and lose yourself and that is perfectly fine and the pace is great.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Loved "Black Stallion", sounds like a dreampop meets nu-metal album!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’ve just remembered the cure’s “torn down” Album exists and I think the approach there was largely the same; although I’m still interested to pick up Black Stallion

(I bought torn down, listened once, and then forgot it existed)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Just kind of boring to me. Don't imagine I will listen much. Release eros!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sorry in advance for the following rant: I just started a new job and today I was at work listening to SNW. At home I usually listen to the CD version I ripped ages ago, but in my new work computer I started listening to music through my Apple Music suscription. So, Riviere rolls around and I'm thinking "the album's over so I gotta find something else" and then the "Drive" covers comes around. Man, how come this song has been out for 15 almost and I haven't listened to it until today?? And no, I haven't listened to the "Covers" album since I thought I was covered with "B-sides and rarities" and the covers from the "Diamond Eyes" sessions. But nope, "Drive" was not included there. I think this is the best cover they've done! Just perfect. Almost sounds like a Team Sleep song.

On that note: I think this is the first time I listen to the extended Pink Cellphone outro...that was horrible! Who thought that it'd be a good idea to include those words in there? (my CD version had the non extended version, and that's what I had been listening to all these years).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think my cd rip of snw still has the original cut of Beware

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There's a different cut of Beware and edit of Pink Cellphone? I did not know this.