Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The final part of "Pompeji" and the beginning of "This Link is Dead", reminds me to Twin Peaks...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I may write a more detailed review some other time. For now: This is my fave Deftones album in a long, long time.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    You need to give it time. Come back to it. In years when you've matured, you'll realize...
    lol bitch, you're barbaric. King Kong. Get some..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    On my first listen now. So far I'm enjoying it. Urantia's riffs with those snare hits really kicks ass. Getting some SNW/Self Titled vibes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Watching the visualizers gave me a new appreciation for the album. The only track that seems like filler is Headless and maybe it's a grower. Genesis, Urantia, Pompeji and Radiant City are instant classics. I remember listening to Gore and thinking it was alright but the production was poor. I haven't really given any of their albums a chance since Saturday Night Wrist (which I loved. Cherry Waves, Beware, Rats... that album is stacked). Gonna revisit the stuff in between next.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    It isn't even heavier than Bloody Cape. I'm also not getting the "Heaviest thing they've done" shtick... It isn't even close. The riff is nice but I'm not hearing it.

I never said it was. I said it has a S/T vibe. Just the mood, the tones, the chords and the progression sounds like it could come from that era

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Through track 6 now. So far my thoughts are that it’s a mature album. Which is what I like to hear in a artist. I prefer it. But..., lol the album is going to be a grower for me. Maybe my expectations were so high on this album due to this thread.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    On my first listen, I wish Headless didn't have that tambourine.
    (it's damn good otherwise)
    You're a NIN fan complaining about a tambourine eh?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I never said it was. I said it has a S/T vibe. Just the mood, the tones, the chords and the progression sounds like it could come from that era
    Huh? I wasn't aiming that comment towards you lol. I read your post.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    as is tradition
    I gotta find the Princess of Canada, get us a giant bowl of pudding and blast RX Queen while we work to tear her arm off

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    started listening. so far i like it in general, some of it has been amazing. but i really don't enjoy the verse of Error. to me, it's pretty monotonous (as compared to "you've seen the butcher" which i know some people find monotonous in the verse). the chorus is good, though.

also, it's nice to hear all of frank's parts pretty clearly!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    started listening. so far i like it in general, some of it has been amazing. but i really don't enjoy the verse of Error. to me, it's pretty monotonous (as compared to "you've seen the butcher" which i know some people find monotonous in the verse). the chorus is good, though.

also, it's nice to hear all of frank's parts pretty clearly!
    It is my least favorite track as of now. It meanders along until I start to enjoy it in the end, but I agree with the chorus.

Deftones is weird though... Almost as if their music morphs in your ears on repeated listens. I put the download I got from the vinyl pre-order on my cousins speakers and This Link Is Dead sounds MASSIVE on it... I apologize for saying it isn't on par with BC and WGTB because it is (Still don't think it's heavier) but it exceeds in simply having more to it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Really love how the seagulls in Pompeji have the same tone as Chino's random shrieks.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Chino sampling the seagulls....Mike Patton did that w Faith No More for a song on 'Angel Dust' that is unreleased to this day.....The song is sometimes referred to as "Seagull Song"....That song and the process of making it has taken on legendary status in the FNM community (considering MTV was filming them in the studio as they were fucking around w the seagull samples)....Knowing what a hard-on Chino has for Angel Dust era Faith No More (stated in interviews and just look at the Diamond Eyes cover), I wonder if he got the seagull idea from the lost FNM song

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Honestly, and I may be alone here, the hardest hitting part for me is that breakdown at the end of The Spell of Mathematics. It's so low and nasty with Abe going nuts.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Chino sampling the seagulls....Mike Patton did that w Faith No More for a song on 'Angel Dust' that is unreleased to this day.....The song is sometimes referred to as "Seagull Song"....That song and the process of making it has taken on legendary status in the FNM community (considering MTV was filming them in the studio as they were fucking around w the seagull samples)....Knowing what a hard-on Chino has for Angel Dust era Faith No More (stated in interviews and just look at the Diamond Eyes cover), I wonder if he got the seagull idea from the lost FNM song

Either that or from going to a beach.

There's a 1.5 minute snippet of the seagull song floating around youtube. Vocals and all.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Either that or from going to a beach.

There's a 1.5 minute snippet of the seagull song floating around youtube. Vocals and all.
    There is an interview he did recently explaining why he recorded the seagulls. I can see the influence for sure though.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Too bad he didn't sample loons instead. They make the creepiest fucking noise and that would have been an insane lead-in to the scorched earth one-two punch of TLID/RC..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Idk people just record birds. I got birds on all kinds of music and I've never listened to faith no more

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The visualizer videos are a nice bonus, love the one for "Urantia"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just finished my first listen.

Hot damn.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Interview.

“It’s funny, because I’ve always wanted to put them in a song,” smiles Chino. “They’re sort of spooky. Don Henley’s Boys Of Summer has this one little section where you hear seagulls and it always made me feel creepy.”

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral
    Too bad he didn't sample loons instead. They make the creepiest fucking noise and that would have been an insane lead-in to the scorched earth one-two punch of TLID/RC..
    I feel the loon would have fit more in Saturday Night Wrist. Not because of Beware, just the weird atmosphere the album gives off to me *shrugs*.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-25-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm still having a hard time finding a track on this that I really love I like most of them, maybe I think the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Maybe some of these will be growers and I appreciate it for being different and standing out, but ultimately this is the least attached I've felt to a new Deftones album since I got into Deftones around 2000/2001ish.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm still having a hard time finding a track on this that I really love I like most of them, maybe I think the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Maybe some of these will be growers and I appreciate it for being different and standing out, but ultimately this is the least attached I've felt to a new Deftones album since I got into Deftones around 2000/2001ish.
    same, with Gore i knew pretty instantly I didn’t like it and haven’t felt any differently after many listens since

Ohms hasn’t made me feel anything yet, hopeful it is a grower. I really want to like this album especially after the disappointment I felt Gore was. I just don’t, yet

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dang...while I did dig the hell out of it when I first listened, today really felt like it was starting to settle in. I keep flip-flopping with what I like and don't like as usual with this dam band .

I can agree there are less "Go to" tracks on this record and it demands a full listen; I find myself revisiting TPOM, Radiant City and Headless the most.

Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating
    same, with Gore i knew pretty instantly I didn’t like it
    This was me as well on first listen with Gore. I did like it, but honestly it felt like it also asked for my attention instead of it playing in the background as I filled out a job application. Recently giving it another chance, it turned into possibly my favorite Deftones record.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-25-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think that's what it is for me. Less go to songs. Nothing stands out except urantia which is very unusual, but the album as a when is a lot more cohesive than usual. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album, it just competes with many other Deftones albums that are all some of my favorite albums ever
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 09-25-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm seeing a lot of love for Urantia around the netz. Probably my favorite lyrics on the entire album

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Holy guacamole, this is a great album! Need to listen to it more, to digest the whole thing. My favorite song is Ohms (I've said it before, ever since it came out as the first single I kept on listening to it over and over), least favorite song is Radiant City. As some have mentioned, this is a no filler album. Great effort by the guys. My gut feeling Deftones albums ranking is now:
    1. Koi No Yokan
    2. Diamond Eyes
    3. Self titled
    4. White Pony
    5. Ohms
    6. Around the Fur
    7. Gore
    8. Saturday Night Wrist
    9. Adrenaline

So yes, Ohms right in the middle (granted, to me there's not a lot of difference between my album no. 3 Self Titled and 8. SNW, they all have great quality, and I do believe that KNY and DE are on a different level). Cheers guys, it's great to be a Deftones fan right now.

The ending of The Spell of Mathematics reminds me of Evidence by Faith No More (so, TSOM is automatically a great song). That bassline is thick!
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-25-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Xenon and Pittura are probably my least favorite on gore as well but Geometric Headdress is a big favorite.

But yeah error, has one really great part to it with some great vocals by Chino, some riffs that are kind of like the verse from geometric. The back half on error is not great. The front half is bizarrely a lot like the Immigration Song.

The Xenon drum DNA is in the whole album
    DUDE! Just on my second listen of Ohms and I think the back half of Error is AMAZING! Reminds me of the ending of Palms' Future Warrior (which I love). Different strokes for different folks I guess (sorry for the double post)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I definitely appreciate the diversity of favorites this time around. If I'm remembering right, there's usually a common string of favorites with a few outliers. Radiant City is definitely a favorite for me on this album. I've seen every song receive both adoration and disdain

It does feel odd to list it on release day... I think there's growing room for sure.

I think it would look like this:

ATF
    Deftones

Gore
    Saturday Night Wrist
    KNY
    Diamond eyes (this whole tier is shifting all the time

Like Linus

Ohms

White pony
    Adrenaline