Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i wanna ask politely - what's your liking factor for this band overall? i tried to listen but am unable to comprehend what he's singing 90% of the time, and that kills whatever else is going on in their records

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Maybe smoke a joint? I listen to them sober, but their music gets ya good after a toke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    i wanna ask politely - what's your liking factor for this band overall? i tried to listen but am unable to comprehend what he's singing 90% of the time, and that kills whatever else is going on in their records
    I am sensing you don't listen to metal very much...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i feel like all the people who ranked Adrenaline at the bottom don't listen to hardcore, and maybe aren't into metal that much either.

Around The Fur
    Adrenaline
    Diamond Eyes
    White Pony
    S/T
    SNW (not like i don't like this one, i def. do)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ also possibly the production being, basically, demo-quality. songs are awesome, though — "Bored," "7 Words," "Engine No. 9" and "Fist" are definitely deserving of top 10/15 rankings.

for me:
    Around the Fur
    White Pony
    Adrenaline
    Diamond Eyes/SNW (undecided, didn't/don't listen to these ones as much)
    S/T

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually ranked adrenaline toward the bottom because of bored, 7 words nosebleed and engine no.9 which i dont find all that thrilling any more. I never liked bored.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Adrenaline is at the bottom because it doesn't really sound like Deftones to me.

Kind of the same with Pablo Honey for Radiohead.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just because we rank an album that may be hardcore on the bottom, doesn't really mean that we don't listen to hardcore or metal. I love metal and hardcore, and Deftones definitely has some songs after Adrenaline that fit those genres.

Adrenaline I find to be a bit boring.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i feel like all the people who ranked Adrenaline at the bottom don't listen to hardcore, and maybe aren't into metal that much either.
    Adrenaline still sounds a bit "Nu Metal" to me, this isn't a bad thing but in the big picture shows very little of what they can do...
    We don't like hardcore? man, have you ever heard "Rats Rats Rats"?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    it was just a thought as to why it was at the bottom. thought maybe the style didnt work for some people.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Adrenaline still sounds a bit "Nu Metal" to me, this isn't a bad thing but in the big picture shows very little of what they can do...
    We don't like hardcore? man, have you ever heard "Rats Rats Rats"?

This is one o fmy favorites. The beat on this is pretty out there.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    it was just a thought as to why it was at the bottom. thought maybe the style didnt work for some people.
    As i said, SNW resumes Deftones in my opinion, that makes it the best in my book, "Adrenaline" worked for me, it was my first Deftones record after all but i think their sound evolved into what it is right now (for better or worse depending on he fan) it's just a matter of taste, i think Adrenaline is an awesome record but im glad they took chances and expanded their sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This is one o fmy favorites. The beat on this is pretty out there.
    Had the luck of catch them live back in 2007... they opened the gig with Rats Rats Rats! it was fuckin' brutal!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 09-23-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm really surprised by the SNW love. Really surprised. And lack of widespread White Pony love.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Judging by the sets the band are doing these days, essentially the same sets as the Diamond Eyes tour, I'm really really hoping that the does a completely new set for the fall tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    I'm really surprised by the SNW love. Really surprised. And lack of widespread White Pony love.
    Going to have to agree, maybe I need to go back and give SNW another listen, but when it first came out I thought it was their weakest album, whereas White Pony to me is in rotation with Around the Fur as their two best albums.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Around the Fur > White Pony > Saturday Night Wrist > Daimond Eyes > Deftones > Adrenalize

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    With the exception of "Mein", SNW is just fantastic all around. U,U,D,D.... is one of my favorite interludes ever. I wish Deftones did more of those. Plus, "Pink Cellphone" came out from that album and I still love it to this day.

I was disappointed that they didn't play one song off of SNW when they played with System Of A Down in July. Hope that changes this time around.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Im not a SOAD fan but i like "Mein" it's a good track, not the best of SNW but not the worst they have ever done, by the way there's other Detones Album that deserves love, even if it's not an studio album...

can't get enough of it...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Their cover of Sades "No Ordinary Love" is an amazing track. Love this release.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    FYI, "official" instrumental versions of the albums Diamond Eyes & Saturday Night Wrist have surfaced this week. Without Chino's vox it really showcases the band's musicianship on those albums. Seek. (@ sharinglungs)

a taste...

Last edited by uroboros; 09-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    When I first heard Rammstein's " " I though it was Deftones for about 20 seconds because of the guitar tones and whatnot. That is all...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Im not a SOAD fan but i like "Mein" it's a good track, not the best of SNW but not the worst they have ever done, by the way there's other Detones Album that deserves love, even if it's not an studio album...

can't get enough of it...
    Yeah, i actually really like mein....i guess everyone hates it because of the SOAD guy?

Deftones have some crazy good b-Sides. Also floating around out there is a chunk left off of the official b-sides record. They have quite the healthy body of work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks dude!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Another great song! Can`t wait for the LP now.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Godamn this is a great track. I love that after all this time, Deftones are still putting out songs that sound like nothing I've heard from them yet. Cannot wait for the whole album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Holy shit! I'm really liking this, gave me goosebumps!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    FUCK. "Tempest" is great. Between these two songs alone, I think I might be more excited for this album than I was for Diamond Eyes.I don't normally buy singles, but I'll buy the shit out of this one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    sounds like 1995.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do think the two new tracks are pretty cool, but I can't say I'm blown away just yet. Does anyone feel like it maybe sounds a bit nu-metal? For me Deftones were at their peak with their self titled, that had a lot of atmosphere, these feel a bit more standard. Then again it's early days, I wasn't blown away by Diamond Eyes and Rocket Skates as singles, but just about the rest of the album I thought was great.