Page 129 of 182 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 5432

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I'm feeling majorly emotionally wiped but I know that in the past couple of days I did The Right Thing about something scary, in a way that will hopefully contain lasting good, and showed up for some friends to a thing where it mattered, so hey, I'll take it as a win.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the album my friend dan and i released last summer just got reviewed by dan's favorite music critic and he gave it an A-

Methodist Hospital: Giants (self-released) Living proof that young white males can still make rock new, fun, meaningful, etc.—in this case Chicagoans Dan Caffrey on concept-lyrics-vocals-bass and Maxwell J. Shults on guitar-drums-bass-"sound design." Nine tracks, 33 minutes, free if you want at Bandcamp but I say give them some money. Concept: giant cartoon monsters overrun either the world or the small Tampa-metro city of New Port Richey, where Pennsylvania-born Caffrey came of age. Subconcepts: the evolution of both cartooning and disaster flicks in millennial youth culture plus the evolution of music "from pop punk to '90s alternative, sludge metal, ambient, and back." The omnipresent guitars betray no showoff macho, I've been brain-humming "'Hey, New Port Richey'" for days, and while the concept is goofy and generational and a tad hyperaesthetic, it also acknowledges an apocalypse that may literally impend. The key idea is attributed to a buddy of Caffrey who has since died: "Once you get to be a certain size, it doesn't matter if you're good or bad / You're so big, you cause destruction wherever you go / Whether you want to or not / You can't help it." A MINUS

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I bought a couple of Funk Pops to add to the collection today. The T-Rex from Jurassic Park and Mister Rogers holding the trolley!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Y'know, I may suck in some ways, but when I fuck up interpersonally I do try really hard to learn from my mistakes and to do better next time. And like, I think in some ways that's made me a much better person (I realize that's how learning from mistakes is supposed to work) but like... I don't think I'd have had that growth without the fuckups so I'm grateful for that I guess.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Unbeknownst to me, my hotel room has a 15' wide private balcony overlooking a small park. Wish I was staying here longer. And after months of sweating my ass off, the weather her is absolutely perfect.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

We were walking by the Lego store and I saw this in the window. I thought it was a something someone at the store put together and was duly impressed. Then I went inside and found out I could buy one for only $180. I know what I'm getting my wife for Christmas.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Even when my kid's been an asshole all day, he smiles at me and all is forgiven.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Shawn Mendes: If I can't date him, then I can at least write about him.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'M POSTING ON ETS!! WOOT!

Okay, so background. I was a member for about four years a while back, and while I would read things and PM people, I only posted maybe 5 times total. So yeah, this is my 11th post. This means that I have now posted on ETS more than I've ever posted on any discussion forum ever. (And lookie here, I'm actually writing more than one sentence!) When I told my roommate this, she gave me a high five for getting over my shyness some and we are about to eat very lovely microwave PIZZA to celebrate. Yay!

Thanks ya'll for being so AWESOME! <3
    Last edited by dedevoce; 09-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Posted a photo (just a snapshot) to a reddit forum for the first time and it got 16,000 votes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Posted a photo (just a snapshot) to a reddit forum for the first time and it got 16,000 votes.
    uh...can i see it?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm watching John McCain's funeral, and Laura Bush passed some tic tacs or gum or something to W, who took one and passed them to Michelle Obama. The camera panned away before I could see if Barack took one.
    And I think it started with the clintons because they also appear to be eating something or chewing gum.

Edit: ok, it was definitely gum. They are all chewing gum now, including Al Gore on the far left and Barack Obama on the far right of the pew.

I love this for some reason.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-01-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    A "friend" (loose acquaintance from decades ago) fell for a propaganda article (website pretending to be USA Today by cloning their source code but posting with a slightly different URL). The irony is that he gloated about the stupidity of the person in the article while failing to realize his own stupidity in falling for it.

Pointed this out to him. Was immediately unfriended.

This cheers me up because it saves me from having to spend time figuring out who the idiots are who need to be trimmed from my feeds.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Sometimes just stopping to appreciate the little things in life and be grateful and contented over it. It sometimes sort of gives me the Thanksgiving spirit without it actually being Thanksgiving.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm going to study Fashion Design for 2 years (maybe 4) finally. I wanted to do this since I was 13 but held it off forever.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Remembering to apply the brakes in life, especially in hindsight. There is a sense of satisfaction, security and relief that helps me keep on going when that happens. I still need to work on it though, but those brakes certainly give me something to actually smile about, and even more importantly, learn valuable lessons from and as well. (Including useful and even life-saving reminders.)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    I'm going to study Fashion Design for 2 years (maybe 4) finally. I wanted to do this since I was 13 but held it off forever.
    If you're alive there is time. I work with kids that are barely 20+ wondering if they should go back to college.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    OMG

I ordered a set of Sennheiser HD6XX open-back headphones from Massdrop last Friday and they arrived about 30 minutes ago. They're identical to the $499.95 MSRP/~$380 street HD650 which for about two decades was Sennheiser's top-of-the-line open-back headphone model apart from the color and cable (6ft for 6XX, 10ft for 650, but it's replaceable so totally moot). The 6XX are $199.99. I have no idea how/why Massdrop is able to sell these identical headphones for so much cheaper, but numerous hifi sites have run comparisons and they are, in fact, identical.

They're incredible.

The clarity of details is astounding. I was previously switching between HiFi Man HE-400i (modded with Brainwavz memory foam pads), ATH-M50x (modded with Brainwavz memory foam pads) and FLC 8S IEMs--all of which are fantastic headphones/earphones.

With the following stack:
    Schiit Modi Multibit DAC
    Schiit Loki equalizer
    Schiit Vali 2 tube amp

All of those headphones sounded wonderful. So much detail and clarity. I honestly thought all of the praise for the HD650s was just hyperbole, but it's NOT. I obviously put on NIN to test these out because of all of the layering and detail in every song and was absolutely blown away. I still am. It's giving me full-body goosebumps and keeps making me tear up from pure aural joy.

Holy SHIT these headphones are incredible. I don't know if I'm ever going to use the HE-400i or ATH-M50x headphones again because of how much better the HD6XX sound and the HD6XX aren't even burned in yet!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    getting an e-mail yesterday that @Toadflax bought my Hannibal-inspired EP. thanks, dude! <3

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    getting an e-mail yesterday that @Toadflax bought my Hannibal-inspired EP. thanks, dude! <3
    My pleasure! I finally got around to finishing the show last month, so I was able to listen again with context and really enjoyed it!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Performed on stage for the first time in 4 years last night, and apart from some throat related fuckups, it was an excellent time. This was also the first time i've ever had a singalong pop up unexpectedly to one of my own songs. It was a good feeling.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i’m going to a star is born tomorrow. i’m so excited.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It's going to get down to 27 degrees Sunday night, and the high is in the forties.

The cool air is blowing in now. I love it so much.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It's going to get down to 27 degrees Sunday night, and the high is in the forties.

The cool air is blowing in now. I love it so much.
    it snowed here last night. what the hell?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    it snowed here last night. what the hell?
    Ok now it's 32 and rainy and shit and I have to go outside. I'm no longer sure this whole thing "cheers me up" anymore

I liked the IDEA of it, but, yeah.

But yeah, I wonder if it means the winter will be intense.

Edit: btw, when I went outside, I realized it had snowed here.
    It snowed, in texas, in the middle of October.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-15-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok now it's 32 and rainy and shit and I have to go outside. I'm no longer sure this whole thing "cheers me up" anymore

I liked the IDEA of it, but, yeah.

But yeah, I wonder if it means the winter will be intense.

Edit: btw, when I went outside, I realized it had snowed here.
    It snowed, in texas, in the middle of October.
    All rain here not far from TX and getting cold. The great part of it is I get to wear my fluffy slipper socks around the house again and am about to break out the HOT CHOCOLATE!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Listening to Wesley Willis and Jan Terri on occasion. The music they made are just among some of those things that really remind me to not take life too seriously.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Came home after a rough morning and found this on my doorstep:
    "With deepest sympathy on the loss of your little one. We'll always be here through the sad times, and to remember the good memories your furbaby left on your heart. Love, Susan and the Chewy.com family."
    Was totally blown away. What a classy business!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Came home after a rough morning and found this on my doorstep:
    "With deepest sympathy on the loss of your little one. We'll always be here through the sad times, and to remember the good memories your furbaby left on your heart. Love, Susan and the Chewy.com family."
    Was totally blown away. What a classy business!
    Awwwwwww. That's fucking awesome.
    Idk whether to make smiley face or tearful face :/