Page 135 of 135 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135
Results 4,021 to 4,042 of 4042

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i made jiffy pop last night for the first time. i love popcorn but hate it in the microwave. it was great. paired with a horror movie rental, absolutely perfect.
    jiffy pop's not bad but i find it a bit overly salty.

i don't love microwave popcorn and i find stovetop popcorn too oily, so i prefer using an air popper. it's lighter and fluffier (and has a tendency to leave very few unpopped kernels) and i put some earth balance, salt, & sugar on it for my own homemade kettle corn. absolutely delicious. and air poppers are like...$20 at bed bath & beyond.

Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    It’s funny, we LOVE popcorn and we’ve done all kinds of them; air, micro, the whirly electric kind, the whirly stovetop kind, you name it.

But I finally ONLY do the kind my Mother made for us while growing up, which used to be the ONLY kind besides Jiffy Pop:

(I do mine in a medium All Clad pot, he’s using a bigger one)

Last edited by Cat Mom; 01-30-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dispensary coupons for 50% off my entire order that will last until my next trip to Colorado.

Which is also when I'll be seeing the Welcome To Night Vale live show for the second time. CAN'T WAIT!

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    wrote and recorded a new song yesterday that's (hopefully) going to be the opening track of the (neil gaiman's) sandman-inspired EP/album my friend mac & i are doing. in only a few hours i laid down everything (bass, drums, guitars) including the most intricate solo i've ever come up with. it took a ton of takes to get it right but i'm really happy with it and especially impressed with my fingers, particularly since i've barely played guitar lately.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Son defies moronic fucktard conspiracy theory parents; gets vaccinated when he turns 18

This warms my heart. It's so comforting to see that people raised by unfit and uneducated people can still grow up to be intelligent people.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    This might as well be my "Lurk more." post. (At least to myself.)

I never thought I'd say this, but I surprised myself when I realized that the unrelaxing and overall exhausting aspects of Internet forums and social media has finally caught up with me. Unplugging in general, or any interval of time, has sometimes been a tremendous blessing in disguise as it sometimes helped me clear my mind, especially with all the curve balls real life has thrown at me.

On the other hand, I can certainly still lurk like it's nobody's business though. Albeit, not a unique trait, but that's what I've been doing more and more. Lurker mode can actually cheer me up and has. A clearer mind can certainly still be a happier mind, not to mention peaceful.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-16-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Decided that I re-collect some comics of a local artist I had as a youth... which is to say the McFarlane Marvel works. The trade glossy stuff doesn't quite look as nice as the original single issues to me, so I'm going the single issue route. Hulk, Amazing Spider-man, Spider-man...

Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    My brother's daughter (who I no longer see NEARLY as much as i would like to, and not as much as I used to, largely because of the RA,) turns seven tomorrow. She asked for money for her birthday and wound up with a couple hundred.

They are celebrating today. So when my brother and sister in law asked where she wanted to go to spend the money, she said she wanted to go to the pharmacy "to get medicine so uncle Tyler won't be sick anymore."

this may well be the sweetest thing I've ever heard in my life. It cheered my up, but it also brought tears to my eyes .

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Bought some new strings for my guitar yesterday, as rarely as i play they should stay good for at least six months. I even cleaned it up some as I'm not sure the last time that had been done to it, as it was a gift from a buddy.

Also while looking for my allen wrenches I found my stone carving stuff, some small bits of soap stone and my hooky little uber beginner carvings from a few years ago along with some coral and other random stuffs I brought back from my Samoa trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Laughing with a lot of my friends over a glass of wine while discussing interesting and funny facts about what's in different types of salads. That and either getting drunk or smoking some magical plants. just sitting on the porch and pretending I can communicate with animals and control their behavior with my mind as well.

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

a couple weeks ago, i had one mostly finished song and one skeleton of a song (both of which i had done last april)...and yesterday i released my new album. i made so much progress so quickly and i am so proud of it.

currently available on bandcamp, will be on streaming platforms within the week.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    girl scout cookies are on sale again. thin mints? check. samoas? check. do-si-dos? check.

Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    girl scout cookies are on sale again. thin mints? check. samoas? check. do-si-dos? check.
    We got the Tagalongs we ordered a few weeks ago and wiped them out by the next day.

Tagalongs are THE BEST omg.

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    We got the Tagalongs we ordered a few weeks ago and wiped them out by the next day.

Tagalongs are THE BEST omg.
    they are my #1 favorite cookie of all time. perfect proportions of peanut butter, chocolate, and cookie. not overly sweet.

thin mints are really good if you put them in the freezer (and they keep longer if you can resist the temptation to eat them by the sleeve )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to the day mine arrive. Samoasssssssss get in mah bellay

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    I know it's almost 14 years of YouTube already, which is why I sometimes take it for granted, but damn. It reminded me just how fortunate I am whenever I actually want to complete video games thoroughly, since back then there was no such thing as YouTube or even video online. (At least not in terms of YouTube status/quality/capacity.) You had to buy the guide or read the walk-throughs, but nothing beats watching somebody actually play it for real on video. It has cheered me up as somebody that still sometimes engages in some gaming because being lost and stuck on a game is not only frustrating, but it also left me feeling absolutely discouraged and completely unsatisfied/empty about the game itself. If anything it's one of YouTube's ways of helping me appreciate gaming even more.

I'm also thankful to see that songs and entire albums are also officially getting uploaded on YouTube as well.

And even if I'm not into being active on YouTube, I always liked how it felt like one of those sites where I felt at home. (Depending on the videos/channels, that is.)

Granted, even I get YouTube overload from time to time, but gaming walk-throughs on YouTube definitely count as a little thing that cheered me up as it reminded me how there was no such thing as a "watch somebody beat a game online so you can learn from it and hopefully do it yourself" type of deal.

I also wanted to say that as much as I understand the appeal and the yearning desires to try new things, I also realized that even when I like to sometimes try new things, it's best when those things end up to be things I can return to. If not tomorrow, perhaps even a year, a few years or a decade from now. I always keep that in mind which is why I sometimes still have an affinity for collecting. (Not that collecting is always good, but this is when it does turn out to be good.)

In other words, replay value also sometimes brightens my mood as it reminds me why I got into the interests I currently like in the first place, especially when I can sometimes look at them from a different perspective from when I first got into the said interest.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-02-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Schitt's Creek cheers me up. I can't wait for each episode.

We saw them at the Chicago Theater, one of two SOLD OUT SHOWS!!!

And each episode gets better and better! Cabaret, Stevie!

And "A Little Bit Alexis" is now topping the singles charts!!!!!

IMG_2215.jpegIMG_2216.jpeg

And the ENTIRE CHICAGO THEATER SINGING THIS SONG WAS OH MY GOD FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-05-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Schitt's Creek cheers me up. I can't wait for each episode.

We saw them at the Chicago Theater, one of two SOLD OUT SHOWS!!!

And each episode gets better and better! Cabaret, Stevie!

And "A Little Bit Alexis" is now topping the singles charts!!!!!
    i watched season one last fall when i was going through some shit and it was literally the only thing that made me feel better. finally got my wife to start it last week and we blew through it so fast that we're in the middle of season 2 already. stevie 4 ever, i love her so much.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Seeing a crowded bus or train car clear up, especially if the vacancy occurs a lot quicker than expected. If not just for the comfort and convenience, but the peace that ensues as well, considering how the exterior traffic is already much more than enough to endure and observe.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    I already posted this in the Work thread, but it can definitely apply here as well.

Seeing people, family, friends and even acquaintances and complete strangers that love their jobs or that are just fine and chill and relaxed with life in general. They're often some of the coolest and kindest people I've met in my entire life so far, and most likely will continue to be so. Granted, for obvious reasons, but still, since it sometimes makes my day all the better as well. I am honored to have these people with in my familial and familial friendship circles now that I've reconsidered it yet again.

Some of these people even gave me the greatest advice/suggestions in person, which are still beneficial to me at all times. It just reminded me and gave me more reasons why I shouldn't take them, or at least my encounters (Since some of them are no longer in my life, but not for any bad reasons.) with them for granted.

It just gives me hope that things will somehow get better while helping me just not lose my shit, you know? (It's unfortunately sometimes a regular struggle for me, but at least it's helping and that's what matters to me.)

To them, I'd say, keep doing you and keep up the excellent work and all the best you guys. It's been very cool knowing the lot of you.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-08-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I already posted this in the Work thread, but it can definitely apply here as well.
    Pretty much the same thing happened to me the other day. Haven't read your work post yet but I agree with the sentiment.

For my part I got offered a Chef job with solid pay increase working for a guy I respect. I too posted the details in teh work thread. What you wrote is, like I said, Pretty much how I feel about it.

I may own a dresser soon!
    Last edited by Pillfred; 03-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Out of the blue, I got a phone call pulling me off of my next two jobs and replacing them with one short tour that hits three continents in the span of a month. I feel like a goddamn rockstar when this stuff happens.