Page 136 of 137 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4094

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Window cat has made his triumphant seasonal return. We've also been working on walking Alberto with a leash; he won't go much further than the end of the patio. You kind of have to let him walk himself, and keep up the repetition.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Been here for slightly more than a year and didn't even notice, time flies by.

Getting close to Bad Witch first anniversary..

Pretty nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Had one of the most awkward, but also the funniest and overall pretty cool kaiju/Godzilla fandom-related thing happen to me today: got stopped by three (I assume) Japanese ladies in Manchester city centre who were really amazed by my shirt and asked if they could take a picture of it. It's a redbubble bootleg with nothing else but the Toho Studios logo on it. I know this sounds weird, trust me, it was weird, but they looked really amused by it.

They told me it was very surprising to see it here (UK, mind), asked me if I got it in Tokyo or if I actually worked in movies. I told them that I was just a fan, but of course I would love to visit Japan one day, a photo was taken, and we parted ways.

Dude. One of the strangest minutes of my life, but overall it was a nice encounter.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    One of my professors found out that they were the runner up for a Pulitzer this week. I don't know why this makes me so happy, but I think it is fucking AMAZING. They are an incredible professor on top of this, and it is nice to see them be recognized for their work. I am actually reworking my schedule so that I can take another course with them in the fall, and we have started discussing them being my advisor for some independent field research.

I have had five professors in my graduate program, and every single one of them has at least one advanced degree from an Ivy, and one was even an Obama appointee to HUD. How my little public, crumbling University continues to draw top tier academics continues to blow my mind, but I feel so privileged to be gaining knowledge and skills from these folks.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    While I'm very much aware that reboots are sometimes technically the Controversial Music Opinions (cringe/unpopular) and Shitty Music (abominations/lame) of the TV show and music world, they cheer me up because it not only keeps the franchises alive, but also introduces them to newer generations as well as gives a chance for older fans something else to appreciate should they happen to enjoy the later iterations TV shows and movies.

A perfect example for me would be Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as far as both movies and TV shows go, since sometimes it's only limited to just the movies. Granted, I see why fans prefer the original and generally older versions of both franchises, as do I, but I still like how the torch has been passed down. In the 2010s, I wondered if this decade's children and teenagers would have no Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and much to my surprise it came out back and they did. The same goes for Alvin and the Chipmunks as well. I was still surprised that it came back and rose from the late 2000s to the mid 2010s.

In that case, should I see both franchises not show up for a while, I might as well assume that they'll eventually come back. Granted, I still accepted as to why some or even lots of people can't stand reboots, as well as finding them a travesty, but I also can't feel but happy to know that younger generations get a chance to get their iteration, and if they don't like it too, at least they now have a reason to search for the original/older iterations.

I suppose what also fascinates me about it is not just as a result from being on a permanent nostalgia trip, but also just at the mere thought of the age demographics spanning from the original TV shows and movies to the present day or most recent versions thus far.

I could also say the same about video game franchises as well, but they're usually a given in comparison to TV shows and movies. Not all the time, but still most of the time anyway for that matter.

I also forgot to mention Dragon Ball as well. I'm still a bit surprised that it came back, especially when Pokemon took over the spotlight in the 2000s. Which is fine and cool, by all means. At least it all lives on.

As for the short of it, I just enjoy knowing that at best, reboots can make new fans, while helping to keep older fans, while reminding them while they became fans in the first place.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-19-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: I somehow forgot to mention the Dragon Ball and Pokemon franchises, which are also technically the epitome of anime reboots.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Flying to Japan next month. Somehow, I was able to buy an upgrade to a first class seat for $350. That's half the price that airlines have tried to charge me to upgrade a four hour flight here in the states, and that's just for a slightly cushier seat. International first class is a whole other level, one which I have never had the opportunity to experience. Very excited to change that, although I'm legitimately worried that it'll completely ruin economy for me for the rest of my life.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Wrong place
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 04-26-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, or at least something to the effect of this, but it's still among those things that never gets old to me.

When it's either raining or snowing really bad with strong gusts of wind or even thunder/lightning at the worst, but you're just at home, with all you want and need and the moment, not having, needing or even wanting to go outside anyway. Even though no rain or snow is better, even with that, there's still something very satisfying about it, hence resulting in me being cheered up and just being generally thankful for way that day has gone so far.

It's like, oh the weather's absolutely horrible, but I'm home and at least it's still all good anyway, so whatever. It's also why beating a storm in the nick of time prior to going indoors appeals to me as well.

And so far, I also like how the forum's design reminds me of Star Fox. Both the regular and the dark theme, so there's that too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-27-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    I made it past the first round for a two year, salaried fellowship through the city for policy analysis and program evaluation. The next round is a group project where we go in and are presented with a case study and have to work as a group to answer questions and provide solutions. Then the final round is specific agencies select people for individual interviews based on their observations of our performance during the group round.

This is a huuuuge opportunity, and I'm actually fairly shocked that I'm going on to the next round. During the fellowship, you take the civil service exam and unless you're a total fuck-up or fail the exam, you then transition into a leadership role in a city agency.

Kind of shitting myself?

Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    \_(ツ)_/

the shrug emoji is maybe my favorite thing i've ever seen on the internet. i use it all the time (i made a keyboard shortcut on my phone so if i type the word "shrug" it auto-corrects to the emoji) and i feel like i've started to embody it in real life (which is a good thing; i used to be crazy anxious all the time). i just...i love it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Watching those YouTube compilations of TV show intros from yesteryear.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    After pulling books that I'm just never going to read again, I re-arranged the remaining books on the shelves and made a lot more room to acquire more books (comics included).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    For the first time in...must be nearly 10 years, i have ACTUAL plans for my birthday...WITH PEOPLE! I normally just book a day off and spend it in the cinema on my own as most people i know have moved on and have little time to spare for me, but this year i Have Comic-con with a friend and then a meal after (though she is moving to Canada soon so it might be the last time i see her) Then i have a playoff final at Wembley with one of my closest friends from work (and i finally get to meet her fiance) i have Godzilla out so i'll defiantly be seeing that when i can book a ticket and finally a meal with my family (something i've been asking to do one year for fucking years)...so the next few weeks should be good

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Lori Lightfoot was inaugurated as Mayor of Chicago today; the 1st black female Chicago Mayor, and the 1st LGBTQ+ Chicago Mayor. I shed many tears.

Last edited by Cat Mom; 05-20-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Today's my last day at my shitty, soul-crushing agency job. I could spend hours ranting about all the things wrong with this place but it's not worth it anymore. I'm free and I hope to watch this place quickly crumble without me, the other developer who left a month ago, and the third developer leaving in 2 more weeks. It's a 12-person company. So far, we've been "replaced" with a hack who can only work 16 hours/week and a 45 year old intern who spent 20 years doing mainframe development so he's a newborn baby when it comes to app development, API development, and front end development. The CEO is a malignant narcissist who thinks his job is berating his team because we can't read his mind and he won't take notes for the many client meetings he holds without anyone else from the company involved and then spends as much time as possible being a childish cunt on Twitter to Republican politicians. He lies (to us and clients), he's a hypocrite, he's passive-aggressive, and most importantly: he's nowhere near as smart/crafty as he thinks he is. It's seriously going to be so satisfying watching this company go out of business.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I made it past the first round for a two year, salaried fellowship through the city for policy analysis and program evaluation. The next round is a group project where we go in and are presented with a case study and have to work as a group to answer questions and provide solutions. Then the final round is specific agencies select people for individual interviews based on their observations of our performance during the group round.

This is a huuuuge opportunity, and I'm actually fairly shocked that I'm going on to the next round. During the fellowship, you take the civil service exam and unless you're a total fuck-up or fail the exam, you then transition into a leadership role in a city agency.

Kind of shitting myself?
    I am a F I N A L I S T.

Last round of interviewing next week. The group round was intense as fuck. There were about 16 semifinalists and they split us up into two groups and had us seated around tables in the center of the room. On the edges of the room were about 20 representatives from city agencies. They then gave us a case study and questions that we needed to answer. We had 15 minutes to discuss and strategize and then had to give a 10 minute pitch... With folks we had never met before. And the entire time we were working, all of the agency reps were walking around and leaning in super close to hear what we were saying and were taking notes the whole time. After our presentation, we each had 60 seconds to say why we should be picked, and that was it. I think this next one will be more of a traditional panel-style interview.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    My girlfriend is possibly the most beautiful, kind, loving, caring, understanding woman I have ever known in my entire life and she is making me complete rethink everything I ever thought I knew about love.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Listening to this interview Joe Rogan had with Paul Stanley. I actually prefer listening to this side of KISS after looking up Gene Simmons so many times. I also had absolutely no idea how much I'd be able to relate to Paul Stanley, especially in terms finding your self-worth and figuring out what you'd want out of life or how what really matters or what's important to you right now, just might change in the future a lot more than you'd even dare to imagine, which is still very much a part of living and learning. I've heard it before, but it's just the way he put it in his own words that really grabbed my attention and piqued my interest. Eddie Trunk interviews/shows, and Ace Frehley and Peter Criss (As I got/ought to see the whole picture anyway.) aside, it certainly helped me gain a much better perspective/dimension and appreciation for KISS that I otherwise wouldn't have considered, as opposed to just listening to Gene Simmons every single time I looked up anything KISS related.

Paul Stanley also seemed to be very down to Earth, very much in contrast with the excess, indulgent, larger than life attributes/status of KISS, which I also very much appreciated to see/hear.

As for this video, I just found it awesome to see a fan really give it his all on guitar at a Foo Fighter's concert on Monkey Wrench. I stumbled upon it because I kept searching for KISS and Nirvana as I learned that Kurt Cobain was a KISS fan (And also finding out that Nirvana also covered KISS before.), and so was Dave Grohl, and this caught my attention. Seeing KISS Guy (Yayo Sanchez) shred is like a very happy ending to a film based on rock music. It also cheers me up to see musicians being extremely cool with/to their fans doing certain things in cases where they clearly didn't have to. (I mean, it's best to be cool to your fans at all times, but knowing they didn't have to invite Yayo Sanchez up there just simply made it all the better. For whatever reason, it also comes across as very inspirational and hopeful too.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-31-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    paul stanley is the best <3

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sorting my White Wolf RPG books for the first time in four or so years since moving...

Mentioned
    375 Post(s)

Number Six • The Endless

really super excited about this...
    new project from me & my friend mac (also formerly of the elizabeth dane)
    this is our first release, a 6-track EP inspired by the first installment of neil gaiman's sandman series
    we're getting 50 cassettes printed, if that's your thing, and it'll be up on streaming services soon, but for right now it's just on bandcamp

(cross-posted in the artistic expression section)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I had been in some financial trouble recently, and I've managed to turn things around.

This month my car decided to break down and it's costing me $1,000. But somehow I've worked myself to a position where a $1,000 unexpected car repair isn't going to make my debts worse. Or even slow down my repayment of my debts. I have money in savings for car repairs that I add to every month, and there's enough there to cover my car repair.

It seems strange to celebrate a car failure, but it feels unreal that it's not going to cause me to go further into debt, and my mind is just spinning here.

It seems absolutely unbelievable somehow. My entire adult life has been spent getting by just barely and hoping that I didn't have a disaster strike to throw me into further debt, and I'm now at a point where I can weather this without it being a huge blow. This feels amazing.

Mentioned
    375 Post(s)

yesterday, i had to drive from home to oak park (12 miles through chicago, no highway available to take) in the morning, then from oak park to barrington hills (northwest suburb, 38 miles from oak park) for work. when i got to barrington hills at 3:20pm, i found out that what i was there to do couldn't be done because the comcast guy would have had to run a new drop from a pedestal to the house, which was 800 feet of distance. but at least i got this hilarious dictation mishap on my phone trying to tell my wife i'd rather be going to ikea with her. still laughing about it today.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So a day of good and bad...

The bad is my bosses funeral is tomorrow and we're not allowed to wear black...and i only own black clothes

Good news is we just got our performance bonus...1200 after tax...that's the biggest bonus i've ever got, pretty fucking chuffed with that (and i can actually afford all these games coming out...and a different coloured shirt!)

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    So a day of good and bad...

The bad is my bosses funeral is tomorrow
    Your BOSS DIED?!?!

That’s gotta be really weird.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Your BOSS DIED?!?!

That’s gotta be really weird.
    Well technically he was my line manager, but the only person above him was is the director (who is the real boss) so i just called him that.

Truth is he was a really nice guy and got a lot of stuff done, nobody ever had a bad word to say about him, and he was only 50 so it'll be quite sad.

Fun* Fact : i've only been to 3 funerals, 2 of which were for bosses of mine...i might be somewhat unlucky for management.

*that's really not fun

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Truth is he was a really nice guy and got a lot of stuff done, nobody ever had a bad word to say about him, and he was only 50 so it'll be quite sad.
    Yeah, that’s sad.

(Boss killer. Heh.) :P

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    I initially got an A and an A- this semester, which I was a bit bummed about. I reached out to the A- professor to get some guidance on where I could have improved. We got to design our own final project and I chose a grant proposal, which I had never done before, so I figured I went wrong in a few places. I am also taking another course with her in the fall so want to be sure I know what she looks for. But she emailed back and said that sometimes our system does a sort of auto-correct, so if an earlier student on the roster got an A-, it might switch my A to an A- (think of Excel), and I did indeed get an A.

That means I finished my first year of graduate school with a perfect 4.0. Which. Is. Wild. My first semester in college I got myself on academic probation, and now I've achieved this. I have never had a 4.0 in my life, and to have it happen for the first time in an advanced degree program just seems impossible!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Swedish Berries Maynard's ice pops.

Mmmm.......

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    As a former girl drummer (in the 70s when it was really hard being a girl drummer), this kid really makes me smile. Those fucking bass rolls, omg

Last edited by Cat Mom; 06-17-2019 at 12:47 PM.