Page 134 of 181 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 5427

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Bought some new strings for my guitar yesterday, as rarely as i play they should stay good for at least six months. I even cleaned it up some as I'm not sure the last time that had been done to it, as it was a gift from a buddy.

Also while looking for my allen wrenches I found my stone carving stuff, some small bits of soap stone and my hooky little uber beginner carvings from a few years ago along with some coral and other random stuffs I brought back from my Samoa trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Laughing with a lot of my friends over a glass of wine while discussing interesting and funny facts about what's in different types of salads. That and either getting drunk or smoking some magical plants. just sitting on the porch and pretending I can communicate with animals and control their behavior with my mind as well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

a couple weeks ago, i had one mostly finished song and one skeleton of a song (both of which i had done last april)...and yesterday i released my new album. i made so much progress so quickly and i am so proud of it.

currently available on bandcamp, will be on streaming platforms within the week.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    girl scout cookies are on sale again. thin mints? check. samoas? check. do-si-dos? check.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    girl scout cookies are on sale again. thin mints? check. samoas? check. do-si-dos? check.
    We got the Tagalongs we ordered a few weeks ago and wiped them out by the next day.

Tagalongs are THE BEST omg.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    We got the Tagalongs we ordered a few weeks ago and wiped them out by the next day.

Tagalongs are THE BEST omg.
    they are my #1 favorite cookie of all time. perfect proportions of peanut butter, chocolate, and cookie. not overly sweet.

thin mints are really good if you put them in the freezer (and they keep longer if you can resist the temptation to eat them by the sleeve )

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to the day mine arrive. Samoasssssssss get in mah bellay

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I know it's almost 14 years of YouTube already, which is why I sometimes take it for granted, but damn. It reminded me just how fortunate I am whenever I actually want to complete video games thoroughly, since back then there was no such thing as YouTube or even video online. (At least not in terms of YouTube status/quality/capacity.) You had to buy the guide or read the walk-throughs, but nothing beats watching somebody actually play it for real on video. It has cheered me up as somebody that still sometimes engages in some gaming because being lost and stuck on a game is not only frustrating, but it also left me feeling absolutely discouraged and completely unsatisfied/empty about the game itself. If anything it's one of YouTube's ways of helping me appreciate gaming even more.

I'm also thankful to see that songs and entire albums are also officially getting uploaded on YouTube as well.

And even if I'm not into being active on YouTube, I always liked how it felt like one of those sites where I felt at home. (Depending on the videos/channels, that is.)

Granted, even I get YouTube overload from time to time, but gaming walk-throughs on YouTube definitely count as a little thing that cheered me up as it reminded me how there was no such thing as a "watch somebody beat a game online so you can learn from it and hopefully do it yourself" type of deal.

I also wanted to say that as much as I understand the appeal and the yearning desires to try new things, I also realized that even when I like to sometimes try new things, it's best when those things end up to be things I can return to. If not tomorrow, perhaps even a year, a few years or a decade from now. I always keep that in mind which is why I sometimes still have an affinity for collecting. (Not that collecting is always good, but this is when it does turn out to be good.)

In other words, replay value also sometimes brightens my mood as it reminds me why I got into the interests I currently like in the first place, especially when I can sometimes look at them from a different perspective from when I first got into the said interest.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-02-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Schitt's Creek cheers me up. I can't wait for each episode.

We saw them at the Chicago Theater, one of two SOLD OUT SHOWS!!!

And each episode gets better and better! Cabaret, Stevie!

And "A Little Bit Alexis" is now topping the singles charts!!!!!

Attachment 487Attachment 488

And the ENTIRE CHICAGO THEATER SINGING THIS SONG WAS OH MY GOD FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!
    Last edited by allegro; 03-05-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Schitt's Creek cheers me up. I can't wait for each episode.

We saw them at the Chicago Theater, one of two SOLD OUT SHOWS!!!

And each episode gets better and better! Cabaret, Stevie!

And "A Little Bit Alexis" is now topping the singles charts!!!!!
    i watched season one last fall when i was going through some shit and it was literally the only thing that made me feel better. finally got my wife to start it last week and we blew through it so fast that we're in the middle of season 2 already. stevie 4 ever, i love her so much.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Seeing a crowded bus or train car clear up, especially if the vacancy occurs a lot quicker than expected. If not just for the comfort and convenience, but the peace that ensues as well, considering how the exterior traffic is already much more than enough to endure and observe.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I already posted this in the Work thread, but it can definitely apply here as well.

Seeing people, family, friends and even acquaintances and complete strangers that love their jobs or that are just fine and chill and relaxed with life in general. They're often some of the coolest and kindest people I've met in my entire life so far, and most likely will continue to be so. Granted, for obvious reasons, but still, since it sometimes makes my day all the better as well. I am honored to have these people with in my familial and familial friendship circles now that I've reconsidered it yet again.

Some of these people even gave me the greatest advice/suggestions in person, which are still beneficial to me at all times. It just reminded me and gave me more reasons why I shouldn't take them, or at least my encounters (Since some of them are no longer in my life, but not for any bad reasons.) with them for granted.

It just gives me hope that things will somehow get better while helping me just not lose my shit, you know? (It's unfortunately sometimes a regular struggle for me, but at least it's helping and that's what matters to me.)

To them, I'd say, keep doing you and keep up the excellent work and all the best you guys. It's been very cool knowing the lot of you.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-08-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I already posted this in the Work thread, but it can definitely apply here as well.
    Pretty much the same thing happened to me the other day. Haven't read your work post yet but I agree with the sentiment.

For my part I got offered a Chef job with solid pay increase working for a guy I respect. I too posted the details in teh work thread. What you wrote is, like I said, Pretty much how I feel about it.

I may own a dresser soon!
    Last edited by Pillfred; 03-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Out of the blue, I got a phone call pulling me off of my next two jobs and replacing them with one short tour that hits three continents in the span of a month. I feel like a goddamn rockstar when this stuff happens.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The season is gearing up two applications in had a quick talk with the owner and kitchen guys when I dropped the first one off, just got a call on from the other, interview Friday. I still have a third yet to deliver. These are all spots I cherry picked as well. If my job wants me stick around they better come correct. Even then I'm pretty much over it. "Never underestimate the spine of a poor man's back when it's up against the wall."
    Last edited by Pillfred; 03-27-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've seen at least one bald eagle most days for the past few weeks. Today I'm pretty sure I saw four hitting the updraft. After mentioning this to a friend she said usually it's the parents teaching their young to fly. As she described it I think that was in fact what I saw. Backwoods MN def. has it's beauty.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    the yearly 4/1 fart sounds <3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Seems our whole village is without electricity, windy day, also some forest fires (nothing life-threatening, just the usual result of our forests devastation like there's no tomorrow because who cares, right), it's 9 p.m., I am sitting here comfortably with notebook and candle and charged e-cig, waiting for beeping UPS to go out (everyone has UPS for important stuff, right?), and I feel fine. :-)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Whenever surprises actually happen to work to my overall comfort, convenience, benefit, favor/personal gain and overall peace of mind in general.

If only such opportunities and occurrences weren't so rare/scarce most of the time. Imagine winning the lottery every decade, if not year.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-12-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Not sure where to post this so this will have to do.

I found this amongst my mom's stuff today (she died in 07)...

I loved this book so much as a child, and I was starting to think this was a mendala effect thing, where I remembered the story but not much else. It's about a bear who, likes so just be alone. And I think it must have resonated with me as a child because, to this day, I just want to be left the hell alone!

Seriously it made me feel better as a child because I never had many friends as a choice, I just preferred to do things by myself. And I still do.

Seriously happy I found this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Getting facepalmed here. I bet it is a great ego booster for the facepalmer as well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Window cat has made his triumphant seasonal return. We've also been working on walking Alberto with a leash; he won't go much further than the end of the patio. You kind of have to let him walk himself, and keep up the repetition.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Been here for slightly more than a year and didn't even notice, time flies by.

Getting close to Bad Witch first anniversary..

Pretty nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Had one of the most awkward, but also the funniest and overall pretty cool kaiju/Godzilla fandom-related thing happen to me today: got stopped by three (I assume) Japanese ladies in Manchester city centre who were really amazed by my shirt and asked if they could take a picture of it. It's a redbubble bootleg with nothing else but the Toho Studios logo on it. I know this sounds weird, trust me, it was weird, but they looked really amused by it.

They told me it was very surprising to see it here (UK, mind), asked me if I got it in Tokyo or if I actually worked in movies. I told them that I was just a fan, but of course I would love to visit Japan one day, a photo was taken, and we parted ways.

Dude. One of the strangest minutes of my life, but overall it was a nice encounter.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    One of my professors found out that they were the runner up for a Pulitzer this week. I don't know why this makes me so happy, but I think it is fucking AMAZING. They are an incredible professor on top of this, and it is nice to see them be recognized for their work. I am actually reworking my schedule so that I can take another course with them in the fall, and we have started discussing them being my advisor for some independent field research.

I have had five professors in my graduate program, and every single one of them has at least one advanced degree from an Ivy, and one was even an Obama appointee to HUD. How my little public, crumbling University continues to draw top tier academics continues to blow my mind, but I feel so privileged to be gaining knowledge and skills from these folks.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    While I'm very much aware that reboots are sometimes technically the Controversial Music Opinions (cringe/unpopular) and Shitty Music (abominations/lame) of the TV show and music world, they cheer me up because it not only keeps the franchises alive, but also introduces them to newer generations as well as gives a chance for older fans something else to appreciate should they happen to enjoy the later iterations TV shows and movies.

A perfect example for me would be Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as far as both movies and TV shows go, since sometimes it's only limited to just the movies. Granted, I see why fans prefer the original and generally older versions of both franchises, as do I, but I still like how the torch has been passed down. In the 2010s, I wondered if this decade's children and teenagers would have no Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and much to my surprise it came out back and they did. The same goes for Alvin and the Chipmunks as well. I was still surprised that it came back and rose from the late 2000s to the mid 2010s.

In that case, should I see both franchises not show up for a while, I might as well assume that they'll eventually come back. Granted, I still accepted as to why some or even lots of people can't stand reboots, as well as finding them a travesty, but I also can't feel but happy to know that younger generations get a chance to get their iteration, and if they don't like it too, at least they now have a reason to search for the original/older iterations.

I suppose what also fascinates me about it is not just as a result from being on a permanent nostalgia trip, but also just at the mere thought of the age demographics spanning from the original TV shows and movies to the present day or most recent versions thus far.

I could also say the same about video game franchises as well, but they're usually a given in comparison to TV shows and movies. Not all the time, but still most of the time anyway for that matter.

I also forgot to mention Dragon Ball as well. I'm still a bit surprised that it came back, especially when Pokemon took over the spotlight in the 2000s. Which is fine and cool, by all means. At least it all lives on.

As for the short of it, I just enjoy knowing that at best, reboots can make new fans, while helping to keep older fans, while reminding them while they became fans in the first place.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-19-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: I somehow forgot to mention the Dragon Ball and Pokemon franchises, which are also technically the epitome of anime reboots.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Flying to Japan next month. Somehow, I was able to buy an upgrade to a first class seat for $350. That's half the price that airlines have tried to charge me to upgrade a four hour flight here in the states, and that's just for a slightly cushier seat. International first class is a whole other level, one which I have never had the opportunity to experience. Very excited to change that, although I'm legitimately worried that it'll completely ruin economy for me for the rest of my life.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Wrong place
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 04-26-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, or at least something to the effect of this, but it's still among those things that never gets old to me.

When it's either raining or snowing really bad with strong gusts of wind or even thunder/lightning at the worst, but you're just at home, with all you want and need and the moment, not having, needing or even wanting to go outside anyway. Even though no rain or snow is better, even with that, there's still something very satisfying about it, hence resulting in me being cheered up and just being generally thankful for way that day has gone so far.

It's like, oh the weather's absolutely horrible, but I'm home and at least it's still all good anyway, so whatever. It's also why beating a storm in the nick of time prior to going indoors appeals to me as well.

And so far, I also like how the forum's design reminds me of Star Fox. Both the regular and the dark theme, so there's that too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-27-2019 at 01:10 AM.