Page 139 of 182 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 5434

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Thanks for the mention man!
    You're most certainly welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Sorry i did not check earlier, i'm not posting as much as i did due my new job, but i'm going to find some time to do it... i'm always happy to talk about NIN, Wrestling and South Park add "David Lynch" and i think we have covered all my favorite topics, lol!
    I totally get what you mean there, and not a problem. I think with me, it's a combination of work and my perception of time changing again. I'm also positive it's due to also being inundated with ETS since 2004, and social media in general since 2002, which also left me feeling jaded.

And while I'll never knock both Internet activities, since it's been a huge chunk of my life since I was 14, but in my 30s, it made me realize just how much of a time-sink both types of sites can be. I've always been aware of it, but I'm just experiences further realizations as I age, so it's like re-learning time management again. It's almost next to impossible to keep up with on a regular basis when you're engaged in real life interactions, obligations and experiences. On the other hand, it's also easier when it's about topics you love, so there's that. But it still just gave me more reasons to cut down. Along with other changes I'd have and hope to make, since something's got to give for the 2020s, considering the fact that's also the decade I turn 40. (It's crazy, because I've been treating my body like I'm still my 20s, but I really got to stop.)

Like other seemingly eternal struggles in life, so has been pacing myself, and just remembering how finite time itself really is. It's like we sometimes have all day, and just don't, all at the same time.

But yeah, it's like how you need to have nothing going when binge-anything, but in this case, you really have to have nothing going sometimes online in order to engage in online discussions. Aside from getting into new interests and just being busy, it also increased my understanding on why so many huge NIN fans also either left ETS, stopped posting, or didn't even join the new ETS right away, or even ever.

I think I just always found it fun, because I sometimes enjoy writing, and that I actually write so much better than I speak.

But yeah, while Internet forums are anything but new, I still find it fascinating that such sites exists where people from all parts of the world can join in and discuss similar interests and points of view, etc.

Thankfully, lurking will never get old though.

Lurk more./Lurk moar. is indeed, Internet sage advice. Has been, and always will be.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-31-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Jon - I just saw your user title and wanted to show this to you. I suppose it also helps as a fan of both Mario and Alvin. I've also been on quite the Chipmunk kick after what seems to be me not following anything Chipmunk related for almost a good 21 years. Being better than I remembered it has also cheered me up.

I figured that I might as well include these videos as well. Just knowing it exists with my two favorite red capped characters and franchises from my childhood has always made my day. And well, Bad Witch Doctor?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I just saw your user title and wanted to show this to you. I suppose it also helps as a fan of both Mario and Alvin. I've also been on quite the Chipmunk kick after what seems to be me not following anything Chipmunk related for almost a good 21 years. Being better than I remembered it has also cheered me up.

Oh man, I remember that commercial; suppose that wouldn't fly these days. I originally switched my title in good nature because of the CTWC (Class Tetris World Championship). There's a 17 year old kid, Joseph Saelee, who has won the past two years and broken all sorts of live records along the way.

Thank you for the mention. Please accept this kaiju cat as a token of my appreciation:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I had the great fortune of seeing Nick Offerman speak recently. I think I was the only person there who knew him more from his books than Parks & Rec. My impression of him from his books was "the epitome of the harmless and/or productive parts of masculinity, while blasting everything else with deadpan satire". The live set pretty much confirmed that. Example: speaking, almost seriously sounding, about how men are simply better at anything and everything. "If you want proof, just read any of the history books we've written." Fucking brilliant.

One of the things that struck me though is that some of jokes aimed at bashing Trumpian type thinking got much more timid applause than the general humor did. While my county is mostly blue, we are surrounded on three sides by deeply red territory (and a very, very large lake on the fourth). As we were leaving, I overheard someone saying "people might have confused Ron Swanson as a serious version of Nick Offerman, and would have been really shocked to learn what the actor is actually like". From what little I know about Parks & Rec, I could see that being the case. If so...that's fucking priceless.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, I will have health insurance January 2020.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Watch this all the way through:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Simon's Cat, love the moment at 1:12. :-D

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Down here in Australia it’s all smog, bushfires and ash, and it sucks. Listening to this takes me to a better place:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Down here in Australia it’s all smog, bushfires and ash, and it sucks. Listening to this takes me to a better place:
    so...dungeon synth is just new age music (not knocking it, i really like it!) with black metal album covers & names? that's kind of hilarious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    so...dungeon synth is just new age music (not knocking it, i really like it!) with black metal album covers & names? that's kind of hilarious.
    it's also the only genre with more people making the music than people listening to it

listen to that first track :

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The Far Side is back...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My partner and her sister are both asleep (we all live together), I just went to the gas station to buy some blunt shells and now I plan on staying up hella late getting stoned and listening to the Watchmen soundtracks. Fuckin A, man.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    The Far Side is back...
    The Far Side WILL be back. "Occasional" new content will be released starting next year.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    A little thing, yesterday midnight I went alone to try to make some New Year's Day pictures with drone and I have it completed already, so I haven't wasted all this free time with TV and stuff, I managed to create at least something. ;-) (hopefully not promo, I get nothing from this)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I am exactly 50% done with graduate school, and I have a goddamn 4.0.

Even better, my last grade got posted, and I got my first A+(!) in what was the most difficult course of my life. Not so much because of content, but because of the professor's disorganization. She is new to the university and I think forgot that she is now working with adults who have careers outside of school, we aren't fresh out of high school teenagers. She would assign things that never got submitted, change due dates at the last minute (once I stayed up literally all night to finish an assignment, and then she announced in class that she was pushing back the due date - I WAS SO PISSED), assign things that were not on the syllabus, and just a lot of other little things that individually, would not have been a big deal, but combined, were awful. For someone who thrives off of careful planning when it comes to school shit at this point in my life, it was a NIGHTMARE.

But she loved me for some reason - even asked me to submit a research grant with her, and referred me to the very pretentious sounding "Office of Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships" which supports students to apply for all of the big-name academic programs you've probably heard of even if you've never gone to college.

Now I'm trying to prep for the next cycle of PhD applications this Fall at the encouragement of my departments both at work and at school. Life is wild!

School is definitely not for everyone, but if you have thought about going back to finish what you started, or are thinking about going for the first time... if it is financially possible, fucking do it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    My awful, terrible, racist, sexist, stupid shitlord of a supervisor not only quit in the most dishonorable way he could have, but I get his position, AND our property is changing management companies, which will likely result in an additional small raise on top of the promotional raise. I’ll be making about 50% MORE than I’m making now, which is already fairly comfortable for me, but will absolutely enable me to get myself caught up on payments and bills.

The last two days at work without him have been two of the happiest and most productive work days I’ve had in over three years. FINALLY. IT’S OVER! Thank fuck. I get to deal with all of his mistakes now but I will gladly take on that responsibility and pay.

He also threatened to assault the maintenance supervisor next door (John) when John told him that he has 24 hours to turn in the door opener to our storage garage over there. Way to dig that hole, buddy. Miss you already...

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It's Screener Season!

And before anyone goes busting my balls for watching screeners, again, remember that i live over 80 miles away from the nearest theater.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    "Little things that cheer you up": this board. Seriously. Thanks for making this a great community. I love you guys. Nobody always sees eye-to-eye, but this is basically my favourite online board and music community. Shout out in particular to @eversonpoe , @botley , @Jon , @Leviathant , @chuckrh , @Erneuert and @DVYDRNS in recent times, I am definitely forgetting some handles here so sorry about that. Happy New Year!
    Last edited by jmtd; 01-08-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    "Little things that cheer you up": this board. Seriously. Thanks for making this a great community. I love you guys. Nobody always sees eye-to-eye, but this is basically my favourite online board and music community. Shout out in particular to @eversonpoe , @botley , @Jon , @Leviathant , @chuckrh , @Erneuert and @DVYDRNS in recent times, I am definitely forgetting some handles here so sorry about that. Happy New Year!
    Thank you for the shout out.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Not sure what I did that brightened your day but cheers for the mention. Always dig your taste in tunes.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Again, thanks to the Affordable Care Act, I now have medications I've needed for a while. It's such a relief.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

First comment: "That sounds like a whoopie cushion inflated with depression" lmao. The Gene Wilder profile pic just makes it 1,000 times funnier.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I get to watch the SpaceX launch tomorrow.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    After 12 years of membership in BMI, 16 album releases and countless attempts at distribution, i had my first music royalties that didn't come through a middleman deposited into my bank account. It's a good feeling, feeling like you've finally made it somewhere.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, a couple weeks back I commented under a Twitter thread of a comedian I really like and she DM'd me to say thanks. Then we got to talking. Then we chatted more. Then we became friends on Facebook. And now we're kind of friends. And it's weird.

Like, a year or so ago I was watching her special on Hulu and now we're friends. And last night she gave me advice about comedy. Like, a comedian that I am a fan of was teaching me comedy. WTF is my life.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-21-2020 at 03:30 AM.