Page 9 of 182 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cave Johnson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Duke Cannon

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dan Barrett (Have A Nice Life, Giles Corey) spell corrected one of my drunken facebook statuses

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    People realizing the fact that the world must really be ending this taime because Skrillex is winning grammys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pedicure today. I'm sleepy.

Also, looking forward to my vacation in two months.
    Last edited by sublimaze; 02-14-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    Thanks for that!

I'm trying to think of something positive because I don't always want to only post on the gloomy thread (I'm about to), so I guess I'll say at least I could eat some food today. I don't know what I caught (some type of flu I guess), but whatever it was, it dropped me in my tracks Saturday the way a hornet drops when you spray hornet spray on it. Today was the first day I walked out of my bedroom to the other side of the house.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Karaoke tonight!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    When you spend ages coding something, and it keeps failing. Then after a break, you come back, it clicks together and works!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Mmmm... coffee!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Agonising for days over something you have to write under a deadline only for it to turn out to be a whole lot more painless than you were expecting when you finally get around to doing it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Lent starts tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to having no excuse not to lead a structured life
    This year, the plan is:
    - to eat no artificial sugar
    - to loose weight for a good cause (and have my students sponsor me)
    - to watch no television, and only documentaries on DVD
    - to take walks every other day, or if the weather doesn't allow it do some other sort of excercise
    - to study one Bible story each week (these are the stories I plan to study: Creation, Babel, Jeremia, Elia, Jona, Tobit, Amos, Daniel and the Holy Week)
    Let's see how it works. See you on Easter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tl;dr - i was nice to myself, how odd

going to the gym with a hangover and three hours of sleep.

i didn't want to go, and the entire day i had been looking for a reason to just go home (and probably eat my face off and play video games). but i said to myself "look, it's not going to hurt to show up." so i took the escalator into the gym. "it's not going to traumatize us to get on the treadmill for a few minutes." "you're not going to get a heart attack if you lift some weights. well maybe, but let's play the odds a bit"

here was the kicker. i found myself saying, "if it really does get too much, we can go home. i'm paying attention now. we did our best." i've gone to the gym, and fallen off the wagon and gotten back into it, and i always did it like my life depended on it, like if i could lost enough weight or got enough muscle i could win my ex-girlfriend back and beat the shit out of her boyfriend. i could do reps into self-esteem. if i just did enough. i shit-talked and killed myself to do whatever i said i was going to do, only to let things slide when i got exhausted from the perpetual boot camp in my head.

and i ended up hurting myself - not in an emo kind of way, like a chronic neck pain and sciatica kind of way.

now here i was just doing something with no particular goal, being nice to myself along the way. a full workout and half an hour of running later, painless and good.
    Last edited by tireless.mind; 02-21-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I can't tell you how many times I've had conversations in my head like that over working out or just doing ANYTHING for myself. Good for you man. Now...your next trick will be to make this a habit...something you WANT to do..all of the time. Good luck. Just feeling better for this one workout is a huge thing.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    Lent starts tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to having no excuse not to lead a structured life
    This year, the plan is:
    - to eat no artificial sugar
    - to loose weight for a good cause (and have my students sponsor me)
    - to watch no television, and only documentaries on DVD
    - to take walks every other day, or if the weather doesn't allow it do some other sort of excercise
    - to study one Bible story each week (these are the stories I plan to study: Creation, Babel, Jeremia, Elia, Jona, Tobit, Amos, Daniel and the Holy Week)
    You didn't say you were going to give up the internet.

I like to take it as doing something good rather then taking something away from yourself. That said, a good friend of mine, every year, gives up cursing and biting his nails. Every year.

I don't know what I would give up to express what the intent of giving something else would express.

Quote Originally Posted by tireless.mind View Post
    so i took the escalator into the gym.
    gaffaw

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    Goodbye and good luck!

I'm spending less internet time myself - it doesn't feel that bad. But I still like to check in here and see the familiar names.

And I'm starting to get over some deathbed flu which absolutely flattened me. I'm not at 100% capacity - still more like 60% but it is a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    gaffaw
    there is LITERALLY no other way into this gym! not my fault!!! does it help if i took the opposite escalator? i mean didn't, just wonderin

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    There's nothing like being sucked into a good book.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    There's nothing like being sucked into a good book.
    Unless you're being sucked by a good book.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Don't know if it cheered me up really but I finally called the doctor about an issue that was bothering me for a while now. Hopefully it ends well, at least i can free my mind from the anxiety of it hopefully soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef of the Sea View Post
    Unless you're being sucked by a good book.
    Yeah, but the paper cuts are vicious.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Patton Oswalt live-tweeting the debate tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My dog's new favorite hobby is following my cat around and licking him like he's her baby. He gets so freaked out that he just rolls over and looks at me like "what is happening​?" It's the best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm bummed that I'm not traveling with our men's team to their conference championship swim meet today. They won the school's first ever championship last year, and have a great shot at repeadting this year. As much as I'd love to be there, I am stoked that the reason that I'm staying behind is that one of our female swimmers has (potentially) qualified for NCAA D-1 swimming championships after a stellar performance at the women's conference meet last weekend. Since, as graduate assistant, I'm low man on the totem pole and I have to stay back to train her, along with some other team members who have qualified for US Olympic Trials and others who are looking to qualify.
    Last edited by the duder; 02-28-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Grammar fail.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tireless.mind View Post
    there is LITERALLY no other way into this gym! not my fault!!! does it help if i took the opposite escalator? i mean didn't, just wonderin
    Don't do that! I've heard of so many escalator accidents that turn into scalpings. Ewww.

Talking to my manager tomorrow about my pay grade. Not of my prompting. Wouldn't it be nice to get a bump up without asking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Little things that cheer me up..
    NIN obviously, good read - henry rollins.. Sergei Lukyanenko.. Clive Barker.. Neil Gaiman... Phillip K. Dick.. chuck palahniuk... henry david thoreau... fitzgerald, 32oz fountain coke, polluting my lungs with nicotine, my son laughing and smiling, a hot bath or shower, fall, snowflakes, taco bell, writing, poetry, unicorns, kittens, the office, driving, smell of juniper, cold sheets, skeletor, cheese, a pair of super worn in shoes, no shoes, a cold beer, cupcakes, good movie, smell of old bay, invader zim...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINmuffin View Post
    Little things that cheer me up..
    NIN obviously, good read - henry rollins.. Sergei Lukyanenko.. Clive Barker.. Neil Gaiman... Phillip K. Dick.. chuck palahniuk... henry david thoreau... fitzgerald, 32oz fountain coke, polluting my lungs with nicotine, my son laughing and smiling, a hot bath or shower, fall, snowflakes, taco bell, writing, poetry, unicorns, kittens, the office, driving, smell of juniper, cold sheets, skeletor, cheese, a pair of super worn in shoes, no shoes, a cold beer, cupcakes, good movie, smell of old bay, invader zim...
    This entire quote was what cheered me up. Thank you for that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Those surveys at the bottom of receipts work! $500 gift card from Future Shop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know about me, but I hope this cheers everyone here up.

My name is Rav, and I'm known to my friends back in the UK as DJ Shadowchaser. I will be hosting an NIN tribute night in London this Easter weekend. So if you happen to be in town, please come to Y34R Z3R0 - the only night where we will play nothing but NIN and Trent Reznor, as well other industrial/electronic classics.

I will host the event and be joined onstage by my friend, the awesome DJ STATIC. Y34R Z3R0 takes place on Easter Saturday, so there's no better excuse to party and enjoy the holiday. There will be plenty of free cake and Easter chocolate on the night! In addition, there will be a raffle - will you be the recipient of a cool mystery prize?

The clock is ticking. The countdown to Y34R Z3R0 begins now. See you there.

Date: Saturday 7 April 2012, 10pm-4am
    Address: The London Stone, 105-109 Cannon Street, London EC4N 5AD, UK
    Entry: £4 all night
    Nearest Tubes (subway to my non-British friends): Bank (Central/Northern/Waterloo & City/DLR) - 3-minute walk
    Monument/Mansion House (Circle/District) - 5-minute walk

More information at http://on.fb.me/zpkuak

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My new cheap phone is actually a nice step up from my last one. That and paying off some bills with my taxes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rav Gahan View Post
    I don't know about me, but I hope this cheers everyone here up.

My name is Rav, and I'm known to my friends back in the UK as DJ Shadowchaser. I will be hosting an NIN tribute night in London this Easter weekend. So if you happen to be in town, please come to Y34R Z3R0 - the only night where we will play nothing but NIN and Trent Reznor, as well other industrial/electronic classics.

I will host the event and be joined onstage by my friend, the awesome DJ STATIC. Y34R Z3R0 takes place on Easter Saturday, so there's no better excuse to party and enjoy the holiday. There will be plenty of free cake and Easter chocolate on the night! In addition, there will be a raffle - will you be the recipient of a cool mystery prize?

The clock is ticking. The countdown to Y34R Z3R0 begins now. See you there.

Date: Saturday 7 April 2012, 10pm-4am
    Address: The London Stone, 105-109 Cannon Street, London EC4N 5AD, UK
    Entry: £4 all night
    Nearest Tubes (subway to my non-British friends): Bank (Central/Northern/Waterloo & City/DLR) - 3-minute walk
    Monument/Mansion House (Circle/District) - 5-minute walk

More information at http://on.fb.me/zpkuak

Oh man, I LOVE The London Stone!!