Page 85 of 182 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 5445

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Ooo, nice colors.

For years I've been tortured by some bird I can't identify. I swear I've only heard them downtown, and I've never actually seen one. But their calls always cheer me up … while simultaneously driving me me insane because I don't know where they are or what they look like.

The fact that I'm not a birder doesn't help. And just try to Google a bird by its sound … >_<
    There are APPS for that!!!

A few years ago, I found a beautiful bird, dead but still warm, on my driveway. Worried about how it died (West Nile?), I went online 1st to identify the bird, then to research its possible demise. I found both at once.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cedar_Waxwing/id

Last edited by allegro; 03-31-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avesjohn View Post
    JPH, rest assured that if I could directly help you to ID that bird, I would. In lieu of that, here's some suggestions, if you have the time and the energy.
    OK, now I'm determined to ID this bird once and for all.

The state Audubon Society has offices and a museum in town. But that's too easy — I wanna see what I can accomplish with the help of Google and maybe an app or two.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

A few years ago, I found a beautiful bird, dead but still warm, on my driveway. Worried about how it died (West Nile?), I went online 1st to identify the bird, then to research its possible demise. I found both at once.
    I remember that article! Pretty hilarious, though maybe less so for the bird who wakes up in a strange nest and can't remember how it got there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Somehow that slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me, @allegro . @Joy Prevention Hotline , may I suggest Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab, and/or Birds Lite by National Geographic; both are free and can help you ID the most common species (and more importantly, have song/call samples you can listen to). Now I'm really curious what bird you could be hearing, and like you I cannot rest easy without having an answer. Be sure to let us know when you find out!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I remember that article! Pretty hilarious, though maybe less so for the bird who wakes up in a strange nest and can't remember how it got there.
    Well, not so hilarious in this case since it drank itself to DEATH which is pretty common in this area that time of year, which I didn't know until I found a drunk dead bird on my driveway.

Maybe if you tell us birders what the bird call sounds like, we can guess it ... or, at least, look it up based on the characteristics you tell us ...
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    ETS on April Fools day. Every damn year it makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Oh god, make it stop

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Well, not so hilarious in this case since it drank itself to DEATH which is pretty common in this area that time of year, which I didn't know until I found a drunk dead bird on my driveway.

Maybe if you tell us birders what the bird call sounds like, we can guess it ... or, at least, look it up based on the characteristics you tell us ...
    When I'm in the office tomorrow I hope to have an actual recording of it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    HA HA HA. You guys.....

NPR did a story that divorce papers were filed for Hilary Clinton. HA HA.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The farting noises. Brilliant.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Today is my Friday. I have a three day weekend and I'm heading out to Cali to see one of my closest and oldest friends who I haven't seen in NINE YEARS. Can't wait. Just have to get through work today and then I'm home free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Today is my Friday. I have a three day weekend and I'm heading out to Cali to see one of my closest and oldest friends who I haven't seen in NINE YEARS. Can't wait. Just have to get through work today and then I'm home free.
    Lucky, gettin' to go to Cali! Have an outstanding time!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    That was silly and beautiful! And now I must listen to more music by this Scissor Sisters people...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Whatever album that song is from is really good. Haven't much else from them but I recommend checking it out.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The first thing I thought when I stepped off the plane a few minutes ago was, "I'm home." It feels so damn good to be back on California soil.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    That was silly and beautiful! And now I must listen to more music by this Scissor Sisters people...
    I'm totally having flashbacks to Elton John on the Muppet Show.

Meanwhile, my mystery bird turns out to be perfectly ordinary:

I guess I've never heard crows talking to themselves anywhere other than downtown Fairfield? I don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, at least your mystery has finally been solved.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    True. But now I have to see the damn bird — he must hanging out in the tree right outside our office. No leaves to hide behind!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    hadn't been able to find my PS2 for almost three years (since we moved into our apartment) until yesterday, my wife found it, in a bag, buried at the bottom of our guest room closet. i literally can't tell you how excited i am to be able to play the original katamari again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    True. But now I have to see the damn bird — he must hanging out in the tree right outside our office. No leaves to hide behind!
    They almost always show up at the same time every day, in pairs or groups, and you can usually find at least one of them on the ground. They're fucking HUGE, they look like black CHICKENS, they're pretty hard to miss.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1943816.html
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    They almost always show up at the same time every day, in pairs or groups, and you can usually find at least one of them on the ground. They're fucking HUGE, they look like black CHICKENS, they're pretty hard to miss.
    Well, I've seen bigger chickens.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, I've seen bigger chickens.
    Well, yeah, of course. These days, filled with growth hormones pttttttht.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think I might be able to make an EP this year. Almost everything is in place, with only me and 2 other people involved. I have to let it out and if it turns out to be shit then that's alright for me.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Made beef jerky today. It was manly and delicious.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Speaking of Birds...Waking up to the beautiful sounds of (from what I can tell) easter phoebes! Robins! Some mysterious thrush bird music! Spring! Life! Warmth! I don't ever want to spend another winter in New England.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    %nameofthread%

ETS forum. For example, I do not have to check movie websites, I am informed about next season of True Detective right here. Everything important is here. :-) Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One of our dogs (a golden retriever who just turned 14 years old on Wednesday) had surgery today - high-risk - to remove the ever-expanding tumor on her side. My brother and I just got a text from our dad, who called the vet and found that she made it through okay. We'll probably bring her home tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am looking forward to taking my eldest girl child, Ambrosia, to see Phantom of the Opera. She has been a huge fan of this show since she was very young. http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/ustour/

We are going on the 23rd.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avesjohn View Post
    One of our dogs (a golden retriever who just turned 14 years old on Wednesday) had surgery today - high-risk - to remove the ever-expanding tumor on her side. My brother and I just got a text from our dad, who called the vet and found that she made it through okay. We'll probably bring her home tomorrow.
    Awww, love me some Golden. The sweetest dogs on the planet- bar none. Get well soon ________.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ...And we just brought her home a short while ago. She's doing fine.