Page 132 of 182 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 5443

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    So Bone Thugs last night: there were only a couple of hundred people there! So we were on the rail.
    It was fucking unreal.

Also, after the show, I ran into Flesh. And I was sort of mumbling the standard "thank you so much for the music" etc, and he interrupted me and said "no man. Thank YOU!" And then he proceeded to hug me, like, really tight.

So I got a big fucking hug from a member of Bone Thugs N Harmony, after being on the rail for their show.

Man, I needed that, with all this health bullshit going on.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    G and I were sitting at the bar and eating dinner at Jameson's Char House in Skokie on Saturday night, after having seen the Salt Creek Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker next door at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts.

(ABC Channel 7's Judy Hsu sat next to me -- wtf LOL)

And I look over and DAVE PIRNER (of Soul Asylum) is standing at the bar talking with a bunch of guys in suits, and drinking a Heineken. A much older Dave Pirner with darker (but still somewhat messy) hair but still really obviously Dave Pirner.

He paid cash for HIS beer, and walked off into to the adjacent Doubletree Hilton.

Kinda weird celeb night. IN SKOKIE.

Oh, and the ballet was actually really good!
    Last edited by allegro; 12-17-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    G and I were sitting at the bar and eating dinner at Jameson's Char House in Skokie on Saturday night, after having seen the Salt Creek Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker next door at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts.

(ABC Channel 7's Judy Hsu sat next to me -- wtf LOL)

And I look over and DAVE PIRNER (of Soul Asylum) is standing at the bar talking with a bunch of guys in suits, and drinking a Heineken. A much older Dave Pirner with darker (but still somewhat messy) hair but still really obviously Dave Pirner.

He paid cash for HIS beer, and walked off into to the adjacent Doubletree Hilton.

Kinda weird celeb night. IN SKOKIE.

Oh, and the ballet was actually really good!
    NO shit? Good lord!
    That "somebody to shove" song is one of my all time favorites

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Seeing this thing in person yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @Rubeninphoenix , WOW.

that's utterly stunning. where in the world did you see that?!

edit: not entirely sure why my text is in this odd shade
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-17-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Rubeninphoenix , WOW.

that's utterly stunning. where in the world did you see that?!

edit: not entirely sure why my text is in this odd shade
    California Science Center has Endeavour on display. They're gonna have a new building built exclusively to house it as they'd like to display it (in an upright position as it would be in during launch).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Also, The Discovery is at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Virginia near Dulles Airport.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Also, The Discovery is at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Virginia near Dulles Airport.
    I the Nat'l Air and Space Museum. Easily my favorite Smithsonian museum.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

This makes me so unbelievably happy. Good old fashioned street justice, and nobody gets hurt.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Also (unsurprisingly) Kennedy Space Center has Atlantis on display. This is just the teeniest bit spoiler-y about how they present it, so tagging it just in case someone has immediate plans to go and would like to be surprised.

Spoiler: They start you off in a large open room with a giant display, which shows a whole bunch of stuff about the history of the shuttle program. It's a great video. As it ends, they bring an image up on the screen...except it's not an image. So that when the screen rises, the shuttle is right there in front of you. I mean, like just a few feet away. If you're not expecting it (which I wasn't)....holy shit.

I'm gonna be honest here: I'm a grown ass man, and I literally got a lump in my throat and cried a little when I saw that. I'm not even an uber-space-geek or anything like that. But the way they set that up....woof. It got me.
    Last edited by theimage13; 12-18-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

This makes me so unbelievably happy. Good old fashioned street justice, and nobody gets hurt.
    My husband and I watched this an hour ago, sent to him by a friend, and we were also gleefully tickled.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    RE: the Package thief video - there are people in the comments (I know, I know) who say it's fake and that the thieves are all actors. What actor would say, "Sure, set off a giant fucking glitter/shit bomb in my living room/car/sex dungeon"? FFS people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jackie Fox (Fuchs), the original bass player from the Runaways (now an attorney and a writer) is winning BIGTIME on JEOPARDY.

This tickles me to no end. She ended up being the smartest OF THEM ALL!!! Fuck you, Joan Jett and Lita Ford!

According to Wikipedia, Jackie “earned her B.A. summa cum laude from UCLA in Linguistics and Italian, with a specialization in computing, and her J.D. from Harvard, where Barack Obama was one of her classmates. Fox speaks Italian and French, as well as conversational Greek and Spanish.”

AND NOW SHE’S KILLING IT ON JEOPARDY!!
    Last edited by allegro; 12-20-2018 at 02:39 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    This is fucking great. Yes, it's just Christmas REMIXES, but still. It's fucking HILARIOUS

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    My group and I got a 100% on what was our first presentation in graduate school for 3/4 of us. They do critiques in front of the entire class and the client. We had 0 questions, a couple of pointers on how to improve the visuals of some charts, and that was it. We went over by 43 seconds, so I thought we would get docked a point or two. However, the group that went after us went over by nearly 9 minutes, and the professors and the client lit them up with critiques. I felt terrible for them. This is one class that is equal to two, and this project is the only assignment for the class. I hope they get it together and pass, because that was rough just to see, let alone being on the receiving end. They have to get a B in this course to move on. :\

We submitted the first draft of our report last night, and we should have it returned to us on Saturday, then we have to do one more round of edits before resubmitting and sending to the client on Sunday.

Group work dynamics and slacking aside, I am pretty proud of what we accomplished. It feels good to be in a class where you aren't just sitting there learning theory, but you are actually producing substantial research for an organization that will be used to improve their model going forward.

I'm trying to go full time in the spring. We'll see if I can hang!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    4Ocean cheers me up.

Buy a pretty bracelet for 20 bucks, clean up a bunch of plastic crap out of our oceans, employ a bunch of fishermen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    RE: the Package thief video - there are people in the comments (I know, I know) who say it's fake and that the thieves are all actors. What actor would say, "Sure, set off a giant fucking glitter/shit bomb in my living room/car/sex dungeon"? FFS people.
    They're just jealous that they're not smart enough to do this shit (or contribute to a Mars lander).

This is like the coolest nerd shit I've ever seen, even wayyyy nerd cooler than a guy I knew who put together a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster Machine to take to a Douglas Adams book signing.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-20-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    California Science Center has Endeavour on display. They're gonna have a new building built exclusively to house it as they'd like to display it (in an upright position as it would be in during launch).

Finally! ��

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney138 View Post
    Finally! ��
    I'm thinking about donating to have my name on one of the virtual shuttle's thermal tiles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just do it! “Take my money already!”

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney138 View Post
    Just do it! “Take my money already!”
    Maybe once my wallet recovers from LA and upcoming rent, I'll buy my tile on monthly payments

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Some of them were staged.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I just have the best supervisor.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Some of them were staged.
    Yeah, I saw the Google alert. If I can't trust youtube influencers, who can I trust?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I know I've said this time and time again, but being alone with peace and quiet can eventually cheer me up. I'm aware that it's a double-edged sword though, but in some cases, even after being miserable and crying, my thoughts eventually clear up and I gradually start to feel calmer and happier.

While I could see how sometimes being lonely can take a toll on one's mental health, sometimes talking it out just makes things worse. Not to mention, that there can be still a distinction between being lonely and alone. It's not that I don't believe I need anybody or anything like that either, but with life, sometimes there's just far too much to take in all at once and I just need/want to recharge/clear my mind.

Anyway, I definitely don't mean to be a downer in this thread, but even in spite of some of the many cons of being alone while being depressed, sometimes alone time is the best way to recharge, like ever, especially with a good amount of sleep.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    This post in response to spam. This was just the absolute perfect deadpan tragic humor post for that thread.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Black coffee with or without sugar. I didn't know any other way to put it, but I actually prefer coffee without any milk or cream this time around if I can help it. And while I also don't mind coffee being black without sugar as I actually got used to it and still like it that way, I'm definitely noticing more and more that coffee is so much better without milk and/or cream. This also includes the fact that I'm trying to cut down on dairy, but it actually tastes so much better in addition to that. Should I have milk, I just resort to almond or cashew milk.

If anything, at least as far as sweetened coffee goes, I wish coffee without milk and some sugar if to be sweetened was a much more popular and common option. I sometimes found it with the Starbucks brand and the Mr. Brown brand when canned or bottled, and at least they give that option at Dunkin' Donuts, but that's about it. Otherwise, I've been used to making it that way as of now. It's just I still wish that coffee without milk/cream was more of a thing. As far as sweetness and flavor goes, sugar really is just more than enough, even if just a little bit of it. But yes, as much as I love coffee, seeing non-dairy options brightens my coffee fix even more.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-24-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    A good bass tone.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My shit post on FB from three months ago has accumulated over 1,000 comments. Again, 98% of those are gifs. It's a glorious shit ahow that just doesn't seem to die. I feel only the birth of a child can ever top this. Which is a whole other can of worms ... Sometimes it is the little things.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my best friend has been in town for a bit and even though she's having a really rough time emotionally, it's so nice to have her here. she's basically my sister, we'll have known each other for 20 years as of 2019. and also we've been playing a ton of super smash bros with my wife and at this point all three of us are relatively evenly matched so it's so fun!