Page 3 of 181 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    So I was all down on life and decided to start talking with a woman waiting at the bus stop with me. Turns out, in the States they sell chocolate and white chocolate peanut butter. Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got flowers today! It's so cute...the carnations are arranged so that it looks like a bear and it has a little santa hat and old timey glasses, and it's "sitting" in a basket.

Also, Mashable "circled" me on Google+. I have no clue why but it made me smile, nonetheless.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Finally getting solutions to certain problems.

...and hearing Limp Bizkit was dropped from Interscope.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    This is so cliché, I know, but this board really does cheer me up. Like a lot.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
    Also, when I go to my profile.... the link is http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...mbers/69-goody 69 Goody? Who did that. Does that mean I am the 69th member?
    It does! how fitting, hahahaha.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Being woken up in the middle of the night to be told your 6:30 am flight has been cancelled. I've been re-booked on a later flight and I still get an exit row-aisle seat.

Yea- I'm a spoiled frequent flyer- platinum bitches, I'm going back to sleeeeeep.

*clearly im not in a rush to get where I'm going cause otherwise I would have taken the rebooking they originally gave me which was only an hour later. *happy dance

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Not only do I get to be the laziest fuck this week, if I so choose, I have a date tonight. This is a phenomenal feeling. I hope it lasts a long while, unlike the short bursts I had the rest of this year.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Coffee and chocolate. I sometimes can't get enough of that stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When your bagel is warm enough so that the shmear gets melty. :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I went to a concert on Sunday and got complimented on my hair color by more than ten strangers. I'm not used to this, but it was a nice self esteem boost.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The newly refurbished ETS cheers me up! Hellooooo!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tonight is transpacific end day!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My four-month old daughter smiling.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The blues.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tickets for Goodman Theater's "A Christmas Carol" -- Check!
    Tickets (our favorite opera boxes) for Joffrey Ballet's "The Nutcracker" - Check!

AGAIN, heh.

Woo!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So, one of my professors sent me an email today stating that...
    "I am only reaching out to a couple of my exemplary students who I think are simply "top shelf." I wanted you to consider strongly the possibility of applying for our science education doctoral degree. You have shown excellent effort, keen insight, and a great potential for taking graduate studies in science education to the next level. Had I not been approached by a specific faculty member who was the head of admissions for Michigan State, I never would have thought I could do it. We have also secured some excellent funding opportunities and have some opportunities available for support for some of our doctoral students.

You have what it takes and I strongly urge you to apply. I know you would have the support of our faculty. "

Seriously considering this.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    "I am only reaching out to a couple of my exemplary students who I think are simply "top shelf." I wanted you to consider strongly the possibility of applying for our science education doctoral degree. You have shown excellent effort, keen insight, and a great potential for taking graduate studies in science education to the next level. Had I not been approached by a specific faculty member who was the head of admissions for Michigan State, I never would have thought I could do it. We have also secured some excellent funding opportunities and have some opportunities available for support for some of our doctoral students.

You have what it takes and I strongly urge you to apply. I know you would have the support of our faculty. "

That's great! As a current PhD student who left a full time job to return to grad school, my first bit of advice is to pursue it only if you are truly passionate about the topic. Grad school can result in a rewarding and fulfilling experience, but it can also be incredibly frustrating.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post

DUUUUDE, fucking congratulations! Do it (if you'd think it's worth it!)!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Aside from doing this at NIN.com: Listening to Nine Inch Nails while lurking Echoing the Sound. I've been doing that since 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Masturbation. Especially using my first reading day after classes to just incessantly jack off. Yeah, WHATEVER.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    One of my math professors - I mentioned a concept to him, and he said that he'd learned it from a specific professor, and that he'd taken the last classes this professor ever taught. He said it reverentially in the same way we'd say we were at Freddie Mercury's last show.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I've been watching documentaries about WWII, history is endlessly fascinating. Also, I've been losing weight. Well, losing fat and gaining muscle, weight's staying about the same. But yay!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    After an excellent day at work topped with a very good and fun dinner at the Moroccan restaurant around the corner, a man talked to me on the train about how he saw God and stuff. In a country where reading a book about religion on the train that's nor written by Dawkins or Vermeersch gets you funny looks and maybe someone muttering something about the Pope and condoms, that was heart warming. I'm really grateful he crossed my path at that precise moment.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Three day weekends, seeing an old friend tonight, & the return of "Absolutely Fabulous" to the telly!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    the return of "Absolutely Fabulous" to the telly!
    Oh no, this almost makes me want to watch TV again! But only almost. I'll most likely find an online outlet to watch it, instead. AbFab returning made me squee!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Oh no, this almost makes me want to watch TV again! But only almost. I'll most likely find an online outlet to watch it, instead.
    Haha, I don't watch tv either; don't even have basic cable. Online all the way!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yay! I won some extra money playing Sports Select. Extra $100 never hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New Year's resolution: brag less
    Last edited by Mantis; 12-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.