Page 27 of 182 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Dan Savage's weekly column. I swear he's one of the greatest contemporary US writers.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    After having a shitty couple of days obsessing over drinking, or "plateauing" in my recovery (according to my counselor), I had an epiphany tonight while sitting on the couch with a cup of tea: I need to get more active. Although I swam 4 times last week (about 3,000 yards each workout) and 3 times the week before, I need something else in the evenings to occupy my time, get out, and meet new people. With that being said, I'm going to start up at a local Crossfit gym on Monday and try to get there 2-3 times per week (Monday & Friday).

I also just texted a buddy and we're now going snowboarding ALL DAY tomorrow.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Little things that cheer you up.

Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    After having a shitty couple of days obsessing over drinking, or "plateauing" in my recovery (according to my counselor), I had an epiphany tonight while sitting on the couch with a cup of tea: I need to get more active. Although I swam 4 times last week (about 3,000 yards each workout) and 3 times the week before, I need something else in the evenings to occupy my time, get out, and meet new people. With that being said, I'm going to start up at a local Crossfit gym on Monday and try to get there 2-3 times per week (Monday & Friday).

I also just texted a buddy and we're now going snowboarding ALL DAY tomorrow.
    Dude, smart move. Crossfit will kick your ass, but you'll meet some cool folk who will encourage you. I actually hurt my back from lifting at Crossfit, my bad. While resting and staying away from the weights and squats, I started eating paleo. Four weeks in and I've lost 7 pounds. Half of it I'm sure is just lost muscle, but I feel better about cutting out the diary, grain, and almost all sugar. Go me.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Little things that cheer you up.

I joined a casual Metallica cover band as the vocalist. If nothing else happens, I got to perform Master of Puppets, so I'm happy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    I joined a casual Metallica cover band as the vocalist. If nothing else happens MATTERRSSSSSS, I got to perform Master of Puppets, so I'm happy.
    Fixed. (Also, that's awesome. Do your best to channel your inner Hetfield!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The lights going out at the super bowl (something I only know about because of social media).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    The lights going out at the super bowl (something I only know about because of social media).
    I just flipped past the Sports Network and was wondering why they were playing Rocky III...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Having my cat in bed with me on a stormy night. I DON'T NEED NO MAN.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just applied for GRADUATION.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Mp3 player i thought was toast due to a hardware loading issue on my pc, actually got recognized on my mac. Thought i had tried it before the other day but i guess not. After two years of the same songs, i finally changed the music on that thing. Which is awesome cause i really liked that one.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fuck me...in a good way! Chatting with my former mentor teacher and my old supervising principal REALLY wants me back when I'm done here in Buffalo!! Like, I may have a job lined up, at my old school, before the summer even hits!!

Also - sorry I'm not sorry I've been flooding this thread !

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    How butthurt Tool fans are right now.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Finally home after spending 11 days in the hospital. Plus the bonus of being able to eat and drink real food.
    I'll be thinking about you Wednesday. Will try to send good energy your way.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    A friend of mine hosts a campus radio show and tonight he is playing Tarantino soundtrack selections. IT'S THE FATTEST TUESDAY.

EDIT: He has a soundtrack radio show every Tuesday from 7-9pm. This link should work for anyone who wants to listen... http://tunein.com/station/?stationId=39270
    Last edited by REPLICA; 02-12-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Station ID

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Three different people told me today, unsolicited, unexpected, that I have "perfect" skin. When I felt that I look pale and undead. Okay, these people work at Sephora and probably want my money, but they all saved me money by saying I don't need foundation.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Returned rent check coming in the mail - $350
    Paycheck - $200
    Gift card for renewing my lease - $150 (I work for my apartment complex for my rent, and a cheaper rent rate at renewal = fewer hours I have to work later on.)
    Surprise paycheck for working overtime at my apartment complex - $60 (They typically just balance my overtime by giving me time off the following week)

$760 of cash being pumped into my bank account in the next month, PLUS my other two paychecks I'll be getting in the next four weeks.

Fuck yes. Put good in, get good out.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Got myself a haircut today.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Louis C.K. 5th row. Tomorrow night. Fuck. Yes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    SNOW DAY, FUCKERS!

Actually, today's not the best day for a snow day, seeing as I'd only get out of my one 50-minute class for the day. But if I can get tomorrow off, and it looks like there's a reeeally good chance of that happening, then I'll be pumped. I'll get 3 extra days to work on my unfinished project. ;D

Edit: Fuuuck YES! Four day weekend, baby! Let the drinkening commence!
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 02-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I fell asleep with the TV on, and awoke in a haze this morning to one of those TV evangelists (some local dude).

Then I hear, "Jesus is here. Hallelujah." And I swear he sounded straight out of Front 242's "Welcome to Paradise."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Trent announcing a tour for this year has finally given me enough motivation to quit smoking, so that I can save enough money to get out and finally meet some of you guys. As of this morning I'm starting to put $50 per week into my neglected savings account instead of spending it on smokes, and I'll be damned if I don't stick with it this time. As an extra precaution, I'm staying clear of alcohol for the next month, since a drunken trip to 7-11 always seems to be my downfall when I try to quit. No idea what I'll do with my weekends now, though. Might take up running or something so I don't feel like a bag of shit when paintball season comes back around. I know this isn't really a typical "things that cheer you up" post, but it's the first time in too long that I've actually been motivated to do something, and I'm proud of myself for it.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck, and I'll see you in the fall!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I just put spinach dip and ham inside a cheese bagel and washed it down with a Safeway-brand cola. It made me happy. That is all.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I've been interviewing programmers recently for a junior / mid position- I'm the lead developer and I need a minion or two. Today I had the best interview ever. The guy's resume showed a lot of promise- straight out of uni, with a number of published applications. However he showed up to the interview 15 minutes late. With his girlfriend. Who sat on the company sofa while I interviewed him. One of the first things he said to me during the interview was "I don't smoke nearly as much cannabis as I used to". He then got 1 out of 10 technical questions right, and kept looking at himself in a mirror next to us.

So at the end of the interview I walked him to the door, thanked him for coming in, and helped him wake his girlfriend up off the sofa. She'd fallen asleep. On our office's sofa.

Glorious. Usually in a start-up environment I'd think one would ordinarily wait at least 2 weeks before telling people how stoned they got.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Realizing how fortunate I sometimes am despite my flaws and blunders, while finding the motivating to find some purpose in my life. And to obviously and ultimately top it off this year, Nine Inch Nails being on tour in 2013 and 2014. Merely knowing that has immediately cheered me up. All sorts of coffees and Monster Energy drinks sort of help me with that too.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I ran/walked 5 miles yesterday. The non-chemo weeks are feeling more like me getting back "into the groove".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Kind youtube comments, especially when they're on your videos

I get crazy anxious whenever I click over to my channel to answer comments or look at analytics. I keep telling myself they're only words, and words on youtube at that, but I can't help but start having an internal, mini-meltdown whenever I need to venture over there. I get cold and sweaty and immediately start shivering. I mean, it's only frickin' youtube comments but because I put myself out there it does sting a tiny bit whenever the comment is negative. So I'm super thankful and relieved when it's positive. Even if it's a simple "I liked this video a lot", it cheers me up

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    ^^ Getting recognized is nice, too. Friend of mine, when we were in a band, was at Kinko's getting copies made and the clerk said "Hey, I saw you at that open mic, you guys rocked!"
    Made his week, and mine when he told me about it

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Sometimes Dunkin' Donuts iced coffees and Monster Energy Drinks really hit the spot for me. It also turns out that I ended up to love eating out more than I have ever expected. (Even though I should somehow cut back on that.)

I've noticed that being a bit of a neat freak cheers me up. It helps me become more punctual and productive, and that in my opinion, offers a much more convenient and peaceful lifestyle. And speaking of peaceful, I'm still able to enjoy some peace and quiet every now and then. That's one of the bright sides of being alone during most of my spare time.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-12-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I just remembered some other little things that have, and still cheer me up to this day.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I like my... job.

Moreover, I seem to get on well with my boss.

This has never happened to me before.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Does Amazon intentionally give out estimated arrival dates that are longer than they really are, or have I just been lucky every time I've ordered from them? My copy of Real to Reel (the Sound City soundtrack) wasn't supposed to get here until the 18th-22nd, and it was already put on the delivery truck this morning.

Oh yeah, and free shipping is pretty awesome. Especially when it always seems to come at least a day early.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 03-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.