Page 152 of 181 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,560 of 5427

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Hey, @eversonpoe - this made me think of you:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/12/09/u...rnd/index.html

(Because you did this at Starbucks.)
    Last edited by allegro; 12-11-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Every Friday there's a "Whole Health Minute" email at work with some interesting bits of info and whatnot. This week this had this little bit of info that made me laugh:

• Fast Whole Health fact: More germs are transferred shaking hands than by kissing.
    So keep up the hand hygiene…and probably skip that other thing when you’re at work, too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I always hated handshaking so I hope this eradicates it forever.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've had to shake two hands since this started. One was an old guy whose dog I found. The whole conversation I knew I'd end up shaking his hand so I was dreading it and not really paying attention to him talking about his wife missing the dog and sure enough, he put his hand out. We shook, but I didn't touch anything the whole walk back to my house.

The other was my doctor on Monday. He's a great guy, loves his patients and he's seen me through a lot of things so I didn't mind. Also if there's a place with a lot of sanitizer it's a doctor's office.

One person has done the "oh, we're doing the elbow thing huh" and it's like fuck yeah we're doing the elbow thing, you asshole.

if I never have to do the "yes you have a strong grip oh look how strong you are much wow aren't you a man's man" again I will be ecstatic.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh I hear you. I have never felt comfortable with the custom, so it always ends up with me LOOKING AT MY HAND instead of at the person who’s shaking my hand. I can’t seem to not do it, either. Maybe once or twice when I really focused and knew it was important, like when I got my B.A. and was handed my degree and cameras were clicking and the University President was shaking my hand? And that photo is on my Mom’s shelf? And even then, my Mom says “why were you leaning away from him?” Um, I don’t know, it’s all hurried, there are hundreds of people in line, I’m really far-sighted, and I don’t even want to shake his hand, anyway? How about us just giving the Spock “Live Long and Prosper” sign, instead?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh, I like that. I have some coworkers that it'd work with too. Hell, even my boss would be good with it.

The other day I did the Lego thing for the Teams meeting, everyone loved it. I used a Rosetta stone reference today without thinking and the person on the other end was like "I totally get that reference". I love the group of people I work with. None of us are in the same building, but we work really well together. The majority of them are hard-chargers though and I know they're going to be moving on to bigger and better once the opportunities arise. I'm happy for them, but man it's going to suck because the level of talent we have is wild for the number of people we have.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just saw an email in my spam folder and the entire message was "Click 'Show Blocked Content' to view more" and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Everyone was being a dufus on the video meeting today, asking what everyone was doing for the weekend. I went full force and said, "I'm totally going out to the bar with my friends for happy hour. I'm gonna tear the place up."
    I was trying to draw attention to the preposterousness of the question. Everyone knows I live with someone high-risk, and I've essentially been quarantined since March 23rd, 2020.

At least I got a chuckle out of them. Even the assholes who aren't wearing masks/ isolating appropriately.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Aww... Such a lovely thread for the end of 2020.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Everyone was being a dufus on the video meeting today, asking what everyone was doing for the weekend. I went full force and said, "I'm totally going out to the bar with my friends for happy hour. I'm gonna tear the place up."
    I was trying to draw attention to the preposterousness of the question. Everyone knows I live with someone high-risk, and I've essentially been quarantined since March 23rd, 2020.

At least I got a chuckle out of them. Even the assholes who aren't wearing masks/ isolating appropriately.
    This is very tough. Could you find something to do at home that helps you distract yourself and relieve stress? I was engaged in all sorts of repair and organizational work around the house and it turned out to be quite interesting. As a last resort, it allowed to switch attention.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I work 65-75 hrs per week. Does that count?
    Seriously, I pretty much work and read books. That's been my life for 9 months.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Aww... Such a lovely thread for the end of 2020.
    Yes, when I read that, it made me CRY.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    @allegro @allegate @eversonpoe

For some reason the guy’s face, voice and overall demeanour always make me happy. lol at some of the comments.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So NORAD tracking Santa was all because of a misprint and a fast-thinking airman. Huh.

‘Is this Santa Claus?’ A misprinted ad and a good-hearted colonel sparked NORAD’s Christmas tradition (airforcetimes.com)

Col. Harry Shoup was sitting in his office in early December 1955 when the red phone on his desk rang.

Only one other person — a four-star general at the Pentagon — was supposed to have the number to that hotline at the Continental Air Defense Command in Colorado Springs, the predecessor to today’s North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD. If it rang, it might mean Shoup was about to learn World War III had broken out.

But when he answered, a small boy’s voice asked, “Is this Santa Claus?”

Those four words sparked what would eventually become a wildly popular tradition: NORAD Tracks Santa.
    Shoup’s children agreed that starting the Santa tracker was the thing Shoup, who died in 2009, was most proud of in his career. Van Keuren said later in his life, he received many letters from people all over the world, thanking him for having a sense of humor about it — and he would carry them around in a locked briefcase “like it was top secret information.”
    wow, that's just the best thing.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I have a new computer that works! MERRRRRRRRRRRY Christmas!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I have a new computer that works! MERRRRRRRRRRRY Christmas!
    Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

I got a HUNDRED BUCKS IN CASH from my Mom this year, plus a really lovely card. It’s one of those free charity cards she gets from like the Franciscan Sisters or something, since she couldn’t go out and shop, but it’s actually really beautiful because it has animals on it, and Cardinals; and I love Cardinals.

And G got me the new hardcover Obama book, and the cushy bathrobe I wanted, and the fuzzy fake fur throw pillow for curling up and reading on the couch that I wanted. And I spent hours on Christmas Eve making an Italian meat sauce in my Staub Dutch oven and G and I schlepped that and a fold-out table and a festive table cloth over to Mom’s so we could expand her table to social distance. And we had fresh French bread and pasta and wine and then we had fresh apple pie, and we watched the Christmas Chronicles on Netflix.

On Christmas Day, I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and then we picked up Mom to have dinner at our place and set up the same long table social distance setup. We had Honey Baked Ham and mashed sweet potatoes and wine and G made Mom spiked eggnog, and we watched Christmas Chronicles Two, then we drove around looking at Christmas lights. We got Mom a new Keurig to replace her old one and she’s thrilled.

And it was one one of the weirdest and best Christmases we have ever had.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ...and we watched Christmas Chronicles Two...
    oof, we liked the first one a lot but we got about 20 minutes into the second one, paused it, and both went "this is really weird, right?" neither of us were having much fun with it so we decided to skip it. but the rest of your celebrations sounded lovely! glad y'all were able to do so many nice things.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oof, we liked the first one a lot but we got about 20 minutes into the second one, paused it, and both went "this is really weird, right?" neither of us were having much fun with it so we decided to skip it. but the rest of your celebrations sounded lovely! glad y'all were able to do so many nice things.
    Thanks! It IS pretty shitty in the beginning, but it gets better. We had already watched it but then had to watch it AGAIN for my Mom lol. I definitely like the first one better, but I like the second one’s Goldie Hawn stuff.

Sorry your Christmas was so stressful and down this year.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Hoooooooooly shit. No wonder there are so many of them!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Hoooooooooly shit. No wonder there are so many of them!
    If it were a trivia question I would’ve guessed they came from eggs.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Some of you may have seen my story in another thread about the terrible luck I've had with my dogs this year (if not, a brief summary: my dog died very unexpectedly in October, I adopted another one at the beginning of November, and she died two weeks later due to complications after spay surgery). Well about two and a half weeks ago this bundle of energy came home with me right off a transport from South Carolina. She's been adapting well to Vermont winter and is such a sweetheart who loves everyone she meets.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Aw she’s adorable! So sorry about your other doggies, that’s so sad. Ruby has arrived to heal your heart.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    She's adorable. Happy that you found Ruby.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    because of a horrible stepfather and his fascination with dogs I have been unable to convince my wife that we should get a puppy. sigh.