Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145
Results 4,321 to 4,334 of 4334

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It takes me back to a simpler time, when renting a video game, getting pizza delivery, and having a friend spend the night, was the pinnacle of happiness.
    1. I'm 39. One of my best friends is 40 or 41. We met when I was 16. We used to stay up all night playing Doom 2 and Quake, listening to songs we taped off the radio (we got the first local play of "The Beautiful People" by holding another player up to his bigger, more complicated house system's speakers), chainsmoking, and drinking generic brand Mountain Dew. I have been asking him for about a year now when he can leave his wife and kid at home and come over to stay up all night and play the rerelease of Doom while, um, listening to digital music, without smoking, and absolutely not drinking Mountain Dew. So far, he's always got to be "responsible." Loser.

2. I used to get so stressed out about renting games because that meant they had a definite date when they'd be gone forever. I didn't want to not be able to see the end of something. What if I couldn't beat the game by the time it had to go? Money was tight so renting was supposed to be an occasional luxury and the idea of having to cannonball toward a goal I wasn't sure I could even complete made me so sick with stress that I eventually stopped and just played the same five old games I got used with my system. In retrospect, I'm surprised I survived middle school.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Well, yeah.

He supports Farrakhan and the 5% Nation.
    Ice Cube has also been posting QAnon shit and Russian propaganda. Heís an idiot.

Ice Tea is also an idiot has been doing similarly dumb shit.

Must be some Ice thing.

Malcolm X broke from the Nation of Islam in 1964.

Cheers me up:

I got PBS Passport and Iíve been binge-watching Downton Abbey (again) every night,

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Ron Perlman vs. Matt Gaetz.

Love it.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ice Cube has also been posting QAnon shit and Russian propaganda. He’s an idiot.

Ice Tea is also an idiot has been doing similarly dumb shit.

Must be some Ice thing.

Malcolm X broke from the Nation of Islam in 1964.

Cheers me up:

I got PBS Passport and I’ve been binge-watching Downton Abbey (again) every night,
    We can be cheerful that a lot of people seem to follow Malcom X in that direction, and become regular Muslims, as they get older, like Mos Def.

When you actually look into the Nation of Islam, it's a fucking spaceship religion, where the former prophets are on a spaceship.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    @Sesquipedalism , I had an "Irish twin" brother, and we rented a lot of competitive NES games.

But, aside from that, yeah: with the old eight bit, it helped that the games were goddamn near impossible:
    Contra, Ghosts and Goblins, Castlevania, Mega Man, Gunsmoke. I DEFINITELY know what you mean about playing the same few games.

And then we had Tecmo Bowl, Goal, Super Dodgeball, Pro Wrestling: all of these provided endless hours of fighting for honor.

And then, there were games like RC Pro Am and Punch Out that never got old.

It was also fun to trade games with other kids in the neighborhood.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    We watched Artemis Fowl last night because a) we haven't watched a movie in months and b) it was short enough for the time we had. We were all in a bad mood for different reasons so I picked this movie because I figured if it were that terrible then we'd have a good time. I'd give it a 2.5/5 for it's effect on the three of us: I actively hated it but didn't say anything, my son vacillated between picking it apart and enjoying the visuals, and my wife was on her ipad and said at the end "well that was fun!" and I'm not sure what she was referring to.

The fact that entire scenes were "exposition: the movie!" really rubbed me the wrong way. The fact that the actors were so wooden - I know the script was tripe and that's what they had but come on! - and just sounded like they were reciting something they had memorized like five minutes ago didn't fill me with any hope. I thought the trailers just showed an affectation for the characters but no it was clear it was the actors and the content.

I will not go on because this is the cheer you up thread. Indeed, if you want to see a movie that is terrible and you have friends who can watch it with you on Zoom or Facetime or whatever then by all means.

And if you want an actual good movie on Disney+ go with Timmy Failure. It's saccharine but cheerful. And I don't recommend it just because they filmed it in Portland and I recognize most of the places they visit.

aw, just seeing the trailer makes me want to watch it again. See, cheered me right up.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    @allegate did you read my review of artemis fowl?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Not yet.
    This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://letterboxd.com/eversonpoe/film/artemis-fowl/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

[COLOR=var(--error-code-color)]ERR_HTTP2_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY[/COLOR]
    I'll try when I get home.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Not yet.

I'll try when I get home.
    weird. i'll just paste the text here:

1/2 Star

I laughed exactly two times in this movie, and one of the jokes I laughed at was the same as a joke I had made within the first ten minutes (about Judi Dench looking like David Bowie).

The jaw stuff honestly made me feel like I was gonna barf. Like, wow.

Also, I have so many questions:

Why were the interrogation scenes in black and white? Why did Josh Gad and Judy Dench both sound like they were doing impressions of Dr. Klaw from Inspector Gadget? Why did the troll CGI look worse than that of the troll in the first Harry Potter film? What exactly was Artemis so good at? And most importantly, what kind of asshole of a therapist has glass doors that look from the waiting room into the office proper, where anyone can see in to the session you’re currently holding?

I don’t think I’ve ever despised a viewing experience quite as much as this one.
    i didn't even mention anything about the kid's inconsistent accent, or his lack of ability to properly emote.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Ah yes, the gravelly voices. Josh Gad did have an aside about it that I wonder if it was an ad lib that was left in where he said something like "look at us grunting at each other like a bunch of hippos" or something to that effect. And while looking for a version of the quote I found this:

"After I read the book, I said to (director Kenneth Branagh) that this character literally consumes rock and soil. That would take a toll on his voice. Ken agreed. So this earthy, gravel voice came out of that. It just felt right. I didn't know Dame Judi made the same choice until we were interacting on set with each other. I made a joke in improv, 'Listen to the two of us grunting at each other.' I think that actually made the final cut, which is hilarious."
    The interrogation scenes were bad, yes. I didn't know what they were supposed to be for other than another version of exposition. The jaw thing was creepy and I wish they didn't wait for the end to be like "I hope you aren't squeamish" but the nose hair being used to crack that lock was worse almost.

I didn't know Kenneth Branagh directed this until the opening credits so I was shocked. It basically got to the point where I just started admiring the efforts of the parts surrounding the story instead of what was going on. The beautiful shots that were probably drones for example.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Three Great Blue Heron juveniles in one nest? That looks very crowded!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    So I'm blown away by a strangers generosity today....

I deliver groceries for Instacart on the side, and I put a little piece of paper in the bags asking the customer to rate me 5-stars if they're happy and email me any feedback if they're unhappy.

One of my customer just etrasferred me an extra $100.....I'm blown away.....

I'm actually crying.....and this is the good kind of tears....

There is still good in the world. This is so nice. I really needed something nice to happen this week.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)

Surprise drop of a new Old 97s song, with video featuring Puddles Pity Party, and announcement of a new album on August 21.

This was the little alt country band I started going to see when I was 13, because my dad worked with their drummer.

I've been lifetime guestlisted, seen them at LEAST 70 times. Their music is a big ass part of the soundtrack of my life, but it's the SHOWS that have been so fucking CATHARTIC.

I'm THRILLED that I'll most likely get to catch a few shows next year, and can't wait for the album. At the same time, it's bitter sweet. It's called Twelfth, because it's their 12th studio LP, among several EPs and such.

So, it's also bittersweet: 13-40 for me, 20's to 50s for them....I get a little misty eyed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Got a decent scholarship and was accepted to an art school where I'll study fashion design. I wasn't happy with the situation at my current school, so I'm withholding excitement or optimism. I hope this new school will do something for me though.