Page 144 of 145 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 4334

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    My wife had her bilateral mastectomy on Wednesday morning finally after Colorado allowed "elective procedures" to start up again. Despite the mastectomy being necessary due to her having the BRCA1 gene, cancer in both breasts, and absolutely no desire for chemo and/or radiation, the reconstruction part was still considered "elective."

Fuck cancer.
    That is awesome. Fingers crossed for everything.
    Fuck cancer.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    my new album is out today on Trepanation Recordings! seems to be getting a pretty good response so far!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my new album is out today on Trepanation Recordings! seems to be getting a pretty good response so far!
    Congratulations, that's really awesome. Good luck with everything!

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000476135880

a song from my new album was discussed (and then they played an excerpt of it) on this podcast! 37:20 specifically.

really cool to hear other people talk about my music!

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Ok, I'm sorry, Wicca Phase, if you're a member here, or read this forum, as I'm REALLY not trying to break your balls, and I respect the grind.

Check this out.

This...I could make this standing on my head. I mean, the beat is decent but generic. And the kid doesn't even make his own beats, and he's fucking MAKING it: touring, getting hundreds of thousands of views on youtube.
    I'm not a great singer, but I can sing as well as THIS, most of the time at least. AND, the kid is in his thirties.

The reason that this cheers me up is that I've been SO broken about barely being able to play guitar since I got RA.

THIS inspires me to keep writing, as all I've done of late is make trap beats. I can do THIS better than this, and this motherfucker is an up and coming star.

I know a lot of that shit is luck, and I'm not aiming to be a star.

But I DO feel WAY more confident about writing and singing without my guitar, after seeing the success of this business here.I

Edit: seriously, do i just start writing and singing over my hip hop beats?
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-02-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    hadn't touched my drill since august 3rd. picked it up today to help me assemble some ikea stuff, and it still had a full charge. holy shit, those are some good rechargeable batteries. thanks, ryobi!

wow that sounded like a spam post trying to promote a brand hahaha

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    hadn't touched my drill since august 3rd. picked it up today to help me assemble some ikea stuff, and it still had a full charge. holy shit, those are some good rechargeable batteries. thanks, ryobi!
    Same here! (Except mine's a DeWalt) I needed to drill drainage holes into my new planters, hadn't touched my drill since at least last July. Full charge! And I used this on full torque to drill several holes. Totally awesome.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Same here! (Except mine's a DeWalt) I needed to drill drainage holes into my new planters, hadn't touched my drill since at least last July. Full charge! And I used this on full torque to drill several holes. Totally awesome.
    it's amazing how far rechargeable battery technology has come in the last 20 years.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    My adorable kitty, Agent Cooper, picked up a bag of treats with his teeth, carried them across the room, jumped up on the bed and dropped them in front of me.

It was pretty damn funny.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Remembering the fun parts of the 80s: the big hair, shoulder pads, neon color clothes, MTV, the Chicken News Network, 8 bits Nintendo, cassette tape, the music; oh Lord the glorious music...

And effin NEW COKE. My deep hatred of New COKE is making me feel nostalgic. What a scandal that was!

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Remembering the fun parts of the 80s: the big hair, shoulder pads, neon color clothes, MTV, the Chicken News Network, 8 bits Nintendo, cassette tape, the music; oh Lord the glorious music...

And effin NEW COKE. My deep hatred of New COKE is making me feel nostalgic. What a scandal that was!
    I hacked a Wii and turned it into a veritable gaming museum, that is playable.
    And it has literally every 8 bit nes game on it.

I still remember games I read about in Nintendo Power when I was a kid, that I didn't get to play, and give them a go.

It takes me back to a simpler time, when renting a video game, getting pizza delivery, and having a friend spend the night, was the pinnacle of happiness.

8 and 16 bit gaming scratches the nostalgia itch for me in SUCH an incredible way: it's a BIG part of why I'm not up on the hot new video games.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I hacked a Wii and turned it into a veritable gaming museum, that is playable.
    And it has literally every 8 bit nes game on it.

I still remember games I read about in Nintendo Power when I was a kid, that I didn't get to play, and give them a go.

It takes me back to a simpler time, when renting a video game, getting pizza delivery, and having a friend spend the night, was the pinnacle of happiness.

8 and 16 bit gaming scratches the nostalgia itch for me in SUCH an incredible way: it's a BIG part of why I'm not up on the hot new video games.
    Somewhere in a closet I have an original PONG home version which still worked last time I checked. Also a few old ATARI systems including the elusive 5200. And of course I still have the iconic 8 bit NES. I love the older games! It was all about game play instead of immersive graphics. I even programmed a simple game for my TRS-80 Color Computer which was an extremely tedious process!

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    for my TRS-80 Color Computer
    You had a Trash 80! LOL that's awesome! Did you build it yourself from the Shack? We had an old Pong game, too; the rudimentary aspects of it are HILARIOUS in comparison, aren't they?

And for Macs, we thought this fucking talking moose was novel.

When I saw these few posts, above, it instantly reminded me of my best friend and I living a block away from each other and getting together after work to play Burger Time on her Intellivision system for hours. Then I had that God damned Burger Time song in my head ALL DAY TODAY!!!! LOL

Last edited by allegro; 06-12-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    OMG I love Burger Time! I could play it for hours. I especially loved crushing the egg, for some reasons.
    @allegro Remember this?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    You had a Trash 80! LOL that's awesome! Did you build it yourself from the Shack?
    I got my TRS-80 for free from local curbside scavenging. No cassette drive so it was all real time. Unplug it and all was lost! No way to save programs. But it got me hooked, and a few years later I bought a brand new 8088 computer with a 5.25 floppy drive. And shortly after that, I got me a super fast 300 baud Hayes modem which was top of the line, and allowed me to dial into local BBSs.

Things evolved as they tend to do, and I was an early participant in CompuServe, Prodigy, and AOL; where I volunteered as a Host and Guide in exchange for free connect time. Since AOL charged by the minute for connect time, this was a big deal. Prior to volunteering my monthly dial up bill was often over 1K.

AOL in the early days was just so much fun! I was in the chat room "People Connection" when we invented LOL, and many other terms, some of which are now lost to time. And I met my wife in an AOL chat room over 27 years ago. They told us that online romance could never last. But here we are!

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I got my TRS-80 for free from local curbside scavenging. No cassette drive so it was all real time. Unplug it and all was lost! No way to save programs. But it got me hooked, and a few years later I bought a brand new 8088 computer with a 5.25 floppy drive. And shortly after that, I got me a super fast 300 baud Hayes modem which was top of the line, and allowed me to dial into local BBSs.

Things evolved as they tend to do, and I was an early participant in CompuServe, Prodigy, and AOL; where I volunteered as a Host and Guide in exchange for free connect time. Since AOL charged by the minute for connect time, this was a big deal. Prior to volunteering my monthly dial up bill was often over 1K.

AOL in the early days was just so much fun! I was in the chat room "People Connection" when we invented LOL, and many other terms, some of which are now lost to time. And I met my wife in an AOL chat room over 27 years ago. They told us that online romance could never last. But here we are!
    LOL, we might have ran into each other online in those days. I was on BBSs and Usenet, dialing into UNIX systems like M-Net in Ann Arbor, then I started dialing into Chicago systems, via PC Pursuit for Telenet. Then I met my first husband on Chinet. I was mostly using a Compaq portable from work with dual-floppies and no hard drive, and a 1200 bd modem, LOL. I learned UNIX, vi editor, etc. which I still remember and can use, today.

It's funny how these things evolve. My ex-husband had a brand new AT&T 3b2 400 that was a BIG DEAL at the time, and it cost a fucking fortune. Now, my IPHONE is more powerful.

Last edited by allegro; 06-14-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    @allegro Remember this?

LOL yeah, you remember THIS??

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    ^^
    Oh wow, I haven't thought about that for the longest time. That show was AWESOME! I loved it when they had ballroom dancers. They were my favorite!

And now, I can't stop singing the theme of American Bandstand. Damn you, Dick Clark!

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    ^^
    Oh wow, I haven't thought about that for the longest time. That show was AWESOME! I loved it when they had ballroom dancers. They were my favorite!

And now, I can't stop singing the theme of American Bandstand. Damn you, Dick Clark!
    Aw, man, every Saturday! Then, later that afternoon ... SOUL TRAIN!

Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    sarah and i just took a ride to drop off a dremel for my friend who needs to shorten a table, and while we were stopped at a light, the car next to us was BLASTING “fuck tha police” and i could not stop smiling, especially because we were near the lakefront where cops are all over the place

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    sarah and i just took a ride to drop off a dremel for my friend who needs to shorten a table, and while we were stopped at a light, the car next to us was BLASTING “fuck tha police” and i could not stop smiling, especially because we were near the lakefront where cops are all over the place
    I'm about to go to the store in this little redneck town, rocking an Ice Cube shirt.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm about to go to the store in this little redneck town, rocking an Ice Cube shirt.
    you be careful with that! don't want to get a cap in your ass, haha.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    you be careful with that! don't want to get a cap in your ass, haha.
    lololol.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I love C&H.

I'm just sad that so many people who loved it didn't learn anything from it.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    so i just saw a tweet from ice cube talking about some "black cube" and "saturn" thing and people are saying it's anti-semitic (and that he's been anti-semitic since around the time NWA broke up) and i'm...very confused. i know you know about conspiracy theories and stuff, so wtf is this thing?

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    so i just saw a tweet from ice cube talking about some "black cube" and "saturn" thing and people are saying it's anti-semitic (and that he's been anti-semitic since around the time NWA broke up) and i'm...very confused. i know you know about conspiracy theories and stuff, so wtf is this thing?

WELL, ok. I'll go ahead and say what I know.

The idea is that the "black cube" represents Saturn, which, in turn, represents Satan.

The six pointed star, aka Solomon's Seal, or, a hexagram, is an old, old occult symbol: that much is true.

A lot of "truthers" think that the majority of modern Jews, often referred to as Zionists, aren't the REAL, original Jews, and are, instead, part of a luciferian conspiracy.

The Rothschild family is often put into this bracket, and considered to be like, the architects of the illuminati.

And THEN, you've got the Nation of Islam, which is NOT regular Islam. I don't want to get into all that here, but there's Louis Farrakhan, and the 5% Nation. A lot of rappers support it. It's a fairly new religion, that, to me, sort of seems like a protest religion. I'm really not qualified to speak on it, though.

But, it sort of comes down to old school Muslim vs Jew, which has been going on for hundreds of years, you know?

Rappers, from Busta Rhymes, to the Fugees, to Jay-Z, Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Public Enemy...the list goes on and on...support this version of Islam to varying degrees.

Ice Cube has always supported Farrakhan.

I don't agree with it, and I'm DAMN sure not antisemitic, but, i still listen to these artists and understand WHY they might embrace these teachings.

My Ice Cube shirt, for the record, is not meant to endorse any antisemitism
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-14-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    I dunno but he also tweeted this which is definitely anti-Semitic. People are trying to make excuses for him, like he “didn’t know,” but that’s bullshit.

Jeez this isn’t very cheery.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-14-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    I dunno but he also tweeted this which is definitely anti-Semitic. People are trying to make excuses for him, like he “didn’t know,” but that’s bullshit.

Well, yeah.

He supports Farrakhan and the 5% Nation.

I guess it's sort of an open secret in rap?

It's why Rakim is the "God MC."

It's why Erykah Badu says "they don't believe in god, but they fear us."

It's a version of Islam wherein 5% of black people are literally God.

And they see Jews as enemies, as many Muslims do.

Idk. I obviously don't support the Nation of Islam.

I gave them a donation once, though, when they knocked on my door, when I was living in a black neighborhood. And they saw that I was white, and still went on with their pitch. And I said "damn. So you guys want ME for the Nation? And they said "no, but you can learn The Truth."

And I gave them $10 for having the balls to do that, lolol.

Yeah, all of this shit is messy.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Here. This should explain a lot: a Wikipedia entry on the antisemitism of the Nation of Islam, which was supported by a LOT of the rappers we grew up with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...d_antisemitism

EDit: ok, yeah. Lack of cheerfulness over. We've got plenty of other threads for racial.tension and such.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-14-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    woof. sorry to derail the thread.

here's a cheerful thing: if you want a REALLY bad movie to just relentlessly make fun of, watch Artemis Fowl on Disney+. it is so abhorrent it's ridiculous. i gave it 1/2 a star in my lettrboxd review. it shouldn't make me happy that a movie is that bad, but all i can do is laugh at it.