Page 127 of 131 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 3910

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Thai Ice Tea. After a somewhat bummed day, I needed a picker upper.

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)

Meet Marlon Bundo, a lonely bunny who lives with his Grampa, the Vice President of the United States. But when Marlon meets Wesley and falls in love, his life changes forever.

i wasn't prepared to cry this morning while watching last week tonight, but i think i needed it.

nice to know that, with all the horrible shit happening, there are still people trying to do good things.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I found out that I got the job I applied for. It's only three miles from my house and WA is income-tax free so I get a 9.8% pay raise just from that.

Also I leave my boss and his insanity behind. I mean, when he said he wrote me a reference he said, "And you're lucky I'm writing it now because six months ago I wouldn't have written you one at all."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So i've been worrying about how i'm going t afford to move (my current place is...difficult) i was planning on having enough by summer if i lived without...well anything.

I come home this evening to find my credit card company has realized i was paying too much for my PPI (this was going on for nearly a year and i didn't expect anything to come from it) and given me a refund...of over 3,000

This has cheered me up a bit (a lot, i can afford to move AND not be poor)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I never thought this happened in real life. Congrats!

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    I loved watching the Olympics on the Roku box: watching them at our leisure, we were able, for the first time, to see EVERY event. It was like all we did for a couple of weeks.

Well, I miss watching them and it turns out that ALL events are still on the NBC Olympic roku channel.
    So I'm watching me some fucking Skeleton this morning

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    *poot*

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    *poot*
    Yes. Leaving this surprise in for us annually is the bestest idea.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Yes. Leaving this surprise in for us annually is the bestest idea.
    one year i couldn't figure out what it was and didn't realize it was coming from the computer, and i thought it was something paranormal and got really scared.

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)

today, my parents and our friend alex helped my wife and i move all my records (and associated furniture) & stereo/tv (and associated furniture) into our new place (which is only three blocks from our old place). we got to meet our neighbors on the top floor (a couple with two adorable kids) and the guy on the floor above us (and his dog Caboose, pictured here with my mom).

things went really well today, other than the power not being on in our new place yet. even with that, i still got everything set up, and i'll be going back tomorrow to file all my records back into their respective pieces of furniture. hopefully the power will be on by then so i can a) have light and b) have music playing.

also, alex & tiff (his fiance) are thinking of looking at a unit in the attached building behind our new place that's for rent, which would be THE BEST because we spend a lot of time with them

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    So, I wasn't paying attention earlier today and accidentally sent a gif of a dancing taco to a stranger I sold some furniture to a couple weeks ago, instead of a friend of mine that's obsessed with all things tacos, who I initially meant to send it to. Facebook messenger just happened to have those two threads right beside each other and I wasn't paying attention. Thought I made the BIGGEST ass of myself because I sent it with "Fuck, I didn't wanna send THAT one. Shit." Thinking I was talking to my buddy.

Anyway, I apologized - and now we're going on a date for tacos and margaritas, then a movie at my place.

Dunno how the fuck I did THAT, but she's hella cute and nice, and I am super stoked.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-08-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)

this sketch is amazing. i love last week tonight, and especially john oliver, and h. jon benjamin is absolutely perfect in this.

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    this three-block move has been exhausting. i can't even imagine what it would have been like without movers (who brought probably 65% of our stuff over last friday). we had brought some stuff before then, and have been bringing stuff over since then. i've done most of it since my wife has no upper-body strength (she will attest to that, it's a running joke for us) and i'm just so fucking worn out. at this point, everything is out except our vacuum, a step-ladder, and some cleaning supplies. she's going to go over there after work to clean and finish up, and then we never have to go back there again.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    It is official. I am a wizard. Shaun King will be the keynote speaker at my graduation ceremony.

I will likely be sitting on the stage, and at the very least, will get to meet him. He is a personal inspiration and hero to me, so this is goddamn unbelievable.

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    my new triptych album is out!!!

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/albu...acred-complete

here's what my amazing friend dan caffrey had to say about it:

For the last decade, Maxwell Shults has recorded a dynamic body of work under the name Everson Poe, exploring everything from doom metal to new wave and even the occasional '50s slow-dance song. No matter the genre, their music has always been characterized by heaviness—not just in sound (although they certainly embody that, too), but in emotion as well. And their latest project, The Body Is Not Sacred is, without question, their most emotionally heavy work to date.

Exploring Maxwell's gender identity and struggle with gender dysphoria, the music embraces duality to convey two distinct halves living in the same being. Maxwell's visceral howl—a sound that many would characterize as being typically "masculine"—contrasts with the softer, ethereal vocals of longtime collaborator DEROSNEC. Both of their faces grace the album cover, embracing gender fluidity and making it hard to tell where one person ends and the other begins.

The duality extends to the arrangements and lyrics as well. On opener "We All Become Our Sins," a crackling spoken-word intro and ghostly wail from DEROSNEC quickly give way to Maxwell's jackhammer drums, guitar, and voice. Likewise, on lead single "No Comfort In The Void," Maxwell screams the phrase "I strive to reject the masculine in all its forms," subverting what listeners and critics have come to expect from even the most emotionally in-tune metal music.

The Body Is Not Sacred has no shortage of ambition. As Everson Poe's first triptych, the self-titled first section contains the four songs that serve as the album's foundation. Part two, The Body Is A Prison, raises the emotional stakes with four hard-hitting instrumentals, and the third and final part, The Body Is An Illusion, consists of "polite" versions of the songs from part one. Softer and more reliant on acoustics, the compositions are what one might call "feminine."

But as The Body Is Not Sacred proves, these kinds of labels mean nothing in the world of Everson Poe. Through their latest and greatest three-part epic, they present a journey where gender is first a puzzle, then a cage, and, finally, nonexistent.

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Amazing! Just downloaded the whole thing on Tidal, going to give it a spin tomorrow. You rock so fucking much for pulling this off!

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Amazing! Just downloaded the whole thing on Tidal, going to give it a spin tomorrow. You rock so fucking much for pulling this off!
    and here i thought no one would ever use Tidal to listen to my music thanks, dude! excited to hear what you think <3

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    4-0'ed my first pauper event at my FLGS. Been playing the format for close to 9 months and after weeks of 2-2 and 3-1 with my current build, I think I finally learned that its okay to mulligan to 5 in a deck that can put a 5/6 on the board turn three, or can have a 3+ draw advantage by turn 2. The synergy is insane now. MTG nerds know what I'm saying.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    i am playing music at the church again tonight.

i'm really stunned that not only do they LET me play music at the church, they REALLY want me to do it.
    keep in mind that i haven't cut my hair in 6 or 7 years, have 1 inch holes in my ear lobes and 1/4" holes in my conches, am fairly open about my support for things like gay rights, and live in one of the most conservative places imaginable: a tiny town in the texas panhandle.

This shit gives me hope for humanity, seriously, that these people are not only nice to me, but that they keep asking me to play

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i am playing music at the church again tonight.

i'm really stunned that not only do they LET me play music at the church, they REALLY want me to do it.
    keep in mind that i haven't cut my hair in 6 or 7 years, have 1 inch holes in my ear lobes and 1/4" holes in my conches, am fairly open about my support for things like gay rights, and live in one of the most conservative places imaginable: a tiny town in the texas panhandle.

This shit gives me hope for humanity, seriously, that these people are not only nice to me, but that they keep asking me to play
    that's really awesome dude. out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play for them? is it gospel music?

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    that's really awesome dude. out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play for them? is it gospel music?
    I played the chords to some christian rock song while they did communion, and then I played just like a pretty instrumental thing I wrote several years ago during the sermon.
    Just pretty acoustic stuff, you know?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I played the chords to some christian rock song while they did communion, and then I played just like a pretty instrumental thing I wrote several years ago during the sermon.
    Just pretty acoustic stuff, you know?
    Oh wow, that's cool that you get to perform some of your own work publicly. Nice to have an audience.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Oh wow, that's cool that you get to perform some of your own work publicly. Nice to have an audience.
    man, no doubt. Especially in this little town! HAha, if I were younger, I would sneak Help Me I Am In Hell in there.

The only thing that kind of sucks about this is that now they expect me to do it next week, and the week after that, forever, until I die. :/

But it probably wouldn't hurt me any and for more than one reason.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-16-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Went to register my car today. First time ever doing that kinda thing by myself, so I was expecting to pay upwards of $400 - ended up paying $96 and was able to reuse my old plate! So not only did I save a shitload, but now that frees up another $300 cushion for me to fall back on for my road trip to see Tricky play a sold out show in Denver tomorrow. YEEEEESSSSS. Time to stock up on a little extra herbal medication.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Went to register my car today. First time ever doing that kinda thing by myself, so I was expecting to pay upwards of $400 - ended up paying $96 and was able to reuse my old plate! So not only did I save a shitload, but now that frees up another $300 cushion for me to fall back on for my road trip to see Tricky play a sold out show in Denver tomorrow. YEEEEESSSSS. Time to stock up on a little extra herbal medication.
    Hell yes!
    That sounds like the hot ticket. Man, I should have planned a trip to Denver for that show. The last time I saw him, Juxtapose was the new album

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    To say i play guitar would be inaccurate but i have in the past and i usually have one kicking around. Today I pretty much learned how to play Dry Hitter by Dopethrone. Not by any stretch a hard song really but still. Even without an amp, it felt good to jam a greasy riff again, as it's been some years since i really even felt like playing anything.

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    racist / transphobic trolls getting banned. i wonder if it was agentofchaos/gandugains/whatever the fuck again, but i'm glad he's gone (for now).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Being able to see a helluva lot more clearly cheers me up.

All thanks to my newest pair of glasses. Woo!

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    racist / transphobic trolls getting banned. i wonder if it was agentofchaos/gandugains/whatever the fuck again, but i'm glad he's gone (for now).
    no it was that green dude from last year. i THINK it was green.
    remember the one who got everything he'd ever posted deleted? the one who threatened to come back with his friends or whatever?

it was the kid that was talking shit to the mods via PM and then was like "please don't IP block me bro!"

what i don't understand about such people is that i was having a perfectly reasonable conversation with the kid about opiate withdrawal, wherein he was giving me some good tips. i told him i didn't agree with all that right wing shit and he quit talking about it.

So what I don't understand is: if they can be reasonable one on one, why do they act so batshit crazy in a group?
    I guess it's for attention?
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-15-2018 at 06:56 AM.