Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I always thought his music was pretty shitty, even with Trent's involvement early on.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    wow! this thread has lasted more than i expected!

*grabs popcorn*

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsrib View Post
    "B-b-but we cancelled you sweaty wtf are you doing?"

Based Marilyn not giving af about being cancelled*.

*Held accountable for being a horrific abuser.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I wonder how long it will be before this thread is closed too. Based on how it's going, not long.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before this thread is closed too. Based on how it's going, not long.
    Within the week, I'm guessing.

Personally, I don't think Manson has put out anything turly interesting since GAoG, and he CERTAINLY hasn't had any semblance of vocal control since then. I saw him in 1997 and it was actually amazing, then again on the GAoG tour and it was less amazing. I don't think he's had much relevance or anything to say in a very long time.

It's kind of awful but the Columbine shooting was the best thing to happen to his career since Reznor.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I still think The Pale Emperor and We Are Chaos are great albums

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I always thought his music was pretty shitty, even with Trent's involvement early on.
    his music, image, “message,” whatever, have never appealed to me in the slightest. Grow up finally or something.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I became a fan in early 1996 after hearing Sweet Dreams. I bought ACS on release day. I wasn't allowed to see him on that tour, but I did get to see him on the first leg of the Mechanical Animals tour, and it was great. Those early albums are really good, and I still enjoy them. Mechanical Animals is my favorite, I loved that he had this certain image and then basically pulled a Bowie and became something totally different. Holy Wood is also a good album and has some of his best lyrical commentary on society, which is what he was really good at tapping into. What happened after Columbine did put an unfair spotlight on him, given that those two didn't even listen to Manson's music. But it did push him to make a great album in response to it.

IMO, things went downhill after Twiggy left. GOAG is a mediocre album. Skold brought something different to the band, John 5 wrote some bangers on there, but I think that album is where he had less relevant things to say. And from what I've heard, that's around the time his live performances started to decline. He would be headlining and not even playing 90 minute sets. I may have listened to a song or two since then, but none of it seemed interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    his music, image, “message,” whatever, have never appealed to me in the slightest. Grow up finally or something.
    It would be interesting if he would drop all the makeup and image, and just go out and perform as himself. But I guess that is just his schtick, like Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper or Kiss.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    "The Pale Emperor" was the last good album, i still listen to it every now and then.

"We are Chaos" was a bit meh, i like some of the songs, but the album as a whole doesn't grab me

The less we talk about Manson as a person, the better...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It would be interesting if he would drop all the makeup and image, and just go out and perform as himself.
    LOL No it wouldn't. You can take the face-paint off the abuser, but you can't take the abuser out of the abuser.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    We Are Chaos was the most interesting (and legitimately good) thing he's done in almost 20 years. I was blown away with how fantastic it was front to back.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    He's an asshole and a horrible human being, but We Are Chaos was still a badass rock album. Maybe it was working w/ Shooter Jennings, but that was the first album of his that I'd heard since Mechanical Animals that I liked. I was really surprised by how much I liked it.

Then, unsurprisingly, he ruined it all by being Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I wanna know the percentage of motherfuckers who still support Manson that have their own domestic battery charges. Y'all don't just support a monster like that without also being down to hit your own wives/girlfriends.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I wanna know the percentage of motherfuckers who still support Manson that have their own domestic battery charges. Y'all don't just support a monster like that without also being down to hit your own wives/girlfriends.
    Yeah, I mean.... biting during sex? Locking his girlfriend up in a sound proof room? Intentionally making his place a miserable, freezing hell hole to live in... I don't know what to make of all the S&M stuff, who knows, but he's a grooming, sociopathic piece of shit, and in general it seems like he's someone who gets off on other people's misery

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Its the Trump effect. I'm a MASSIVE fan of the first 7 records and we would have to be intellectually dishonest if we said they weren't important. But the right loves rallying around people who have been rightfully held accountable by those they consider to be the left. They need people to justify their horrible viewpoints so they prop them up.

I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of manson chuds just put manson on shuffle on apple music/spotify and just it run at zero volume when they're not home to pump those numbers up.
    For me, it's that his music felt tongue-in-cheek-ironic but then it turns out he more or less believes in the nazi themes and pesty shit. Hard to listen to anything other than his first album, as a result. Like Kanye, the song "Black Skinhead" is an amazing fucking song but it turns out he *is* a black skinhead so I just can't.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Like Kanye, the song "Black Skinhead" is an amazing fucking song but it turns out he *is* a black skinhead so I just can't.
    It is a good song, and you can enjoy the song AND think Kanye is a terrible person. Am I gonna go tell everyone I love Kanye's music, or support him as an artist? Hell no. But it doesn't take away the fact he created some great music in the past.

LOL No it wouldn't. You can take the face-paint off the abuser, but you can't take the abuser out of the abuser.
    My comment about him performing without the persona had nothing to do with the accusations against him, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

To be clear, I'm not defending his actions, full stop. When you have that many people coming out and saying you did terrible things, chances are at least some of it is true. All I can say is that I hope everyone involved gets their day in court and he’s held accountable.

Look, throughout history there are a good number of artists that have done bad things. Most of the time, society ends up viewing the art and the artist separately. Famous examples include Picasso, Dali, Francis Bacon, or more recently, Michael Jackson, Kanye West, and R Kelly. There’s lots of actors and athletes as well. Does the terrible things that people do diminish the art they created? I know I still find Dali’s art fascinating, and I think Thriller is a great song, but it doesn’t mean I support what they did as people. I can separate it out. It would appear society at large feels the same way. But I’ll say this, I wouldn’t wear a Manson shirt or attend a show, because I don't want people thinking that I condone his actions, because I absolutely don't.

The point I’m trying to make is that this is why the last thread got locked. If we want to continue to have a discussion about topics associated with the MUSIC of Marilyn Manson, then this thread will probably be fine. If everything devolves into bickering about all the other stuff associated with the individual and his actions, then it's likely going to get locked all over again. With a person as polarizing as this, I’m not sure it’s possible.
    Last edited by trollmanen; 04-29-2024 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The point I’m trying to make is that this is why the last thread got locked. If we want to continue to have a discussion about topics associated with the MUSIC of Marilyn Manson, then this thread will probably be fine. If everything devolves into bickering about all the other stuff associated with the individual and his actions, then it's likely going to get locked all over again. With a person as polarizing as this, I’m not sure it’s possible.
    Exactly this, none of us knows all the fine details anyhow, wouldn't it be nice to just focus on the music?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I own multiple Manson CDs and vinyl. Listen to him occasionally. Have never hit a woman and am in a happy relationship about to reach the five year mark.

As for the music, I listen to Holywood the most. The whole "celebretarian" concept rings even more true to me today.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 04-30-2024 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    I noticed there is no (longer a) Marilyn Manson thread.
    Glad you noticed, the absence of dedicated Marilyn Manson discussion on this forum is a deliberate choice. The MM Thread has only brought grief and bad behavior. There's a great big internet out there, and if you want to talk about Marilyn Manson, you can find somewhere else to talk about Marilyn Manson.