Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2024

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    “You’ve got to remember, I’m a massive Stone Roses fan,” Gallagher announces from across the table at a studio in Kentish Town, north London. “They were the ones who got me into [being in] a band, so I know the rhythms. It’s not like I’m singing Trent Reznor out of the fucking Nine Inch Nails, d’you know what I mean?”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...gher-interview
    Anyone understand what the hell he's talking about? Can't even understand the angle he's coming from there! The single is bang average as it happens, had quite high hopes for that collaboration.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Anyone understand what the hell he's talking about? Can't even understand the angle he's coming from there! The single is bang average as it happens, had quite high hopes for that collaboration.
    Unusually for Gallagher I think, based on the context, he's being positive. As in, I'm not singing to the level Reznor did. Full quote:

“You’ve got to remember, I’m a massive Stone Roses fan,” Gallagher announces from across the table at a studio in Kentish Town, north London. “They were the ones who got me into [being in] a band, so I know the rhythms. It’s not like I’m singing Trent Reznor out of the fucking Nine Inch Nails, d’you know what I mean? Not that I’m saying it was easy. I just make it look easy.”

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah I didn't read it as a dis - I think he's just saying that he's very much in his comfort zone.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Eh? I wonder if he's heard The Manhattan Project, then?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Really hope it’s a game I can play, want to immerse myself in a world scored by TRAR! It’s actually ludicrous they haven’t done a game score yet
    So...most of the tech upgrades in my life have been because of Trent fucking Reznor. He puts out AATCHB in 5.1, I get a goddamn surround sound system. He puts out BYIT on Blu Ray, I get an HDTV. I stopped short of purchasing and having a full Dolby Atmos system installed ($14,000 or so), but if TR/AR are doing the score for OD, I MIGHT buy a fucking next gen Xbox to play it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    So...most of the tech upgrades in my life have been because of Trent fucking Reznor. He puts out AATCHB in 5.1, I get a goddamn surround sound system. He puts out BYIT on Blu Ray, I get an HDTV. I stopped short of purchasing and having a full Dolby Atmos system installed ($14,000 or so), but if TR/AR are doing the score for OD, I MIGHT buy a fucking next gen Xbox to play it.
    The Social Network and If I Can’t Have Love I Want Power are available in Atmos now.

And let’s not forget:

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    At some point, I feel like all those technological refinements are kinda lost on a crowd that's easily reaching its 50ies. Make some custom hearing aids instead, or sell me a dog, at least he's going to be able to hear all those quantum harmonies...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Xbox has a cloud gaming system through the Gamepass Ultimate so you don't even have to buy a Xbox for that, just a gamepad/joystick/whatever you call it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    The Social Network and If I Can’t Have Love I Want Power are available in Atmos now.

And let’s not forget:
    I have not seen this before, what's it from? I don't like it when they dangle a surround Fragile, just do it.

Also if they do the Blu-Rays you should 100% get on that shit because those are limited run because of manufacturing lines. I wish more of the Atmos mixes were available via physical media so I don't have to subscribe to anything.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I have not seen this before, what's it from? I don't like it when they dangle a surround Fragile, just do it.

Also if they do the Blu-Rays you should 100% get on that shit because those are limited run because of manufacturing lines. I wish more of the Atmos mixes were available via physical media so I don't have to subscribe to anything.
    https://www.nin.com/the-social-netwo...tmos-3d-audio/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can't see that TSN Atmos is available on Amazon Music now, nor any sort of 5.1. Not that I have (or are ever likely to) an Atmos system. I mean, that is catering to an incredibly niche audience, surely?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Can't see that TSN Atmos is available on Amazon Music now, nor any sort of 5.1. Not that I have (or are ever likely to) an Atmos system. I mean, that is catering to an incredibly niche audience, surely?
    Apple is really pushing what they call Spatial Audio (basically just rebranded Atmos). The above releases are both on there and their new space helmet computer will only encourage that.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Can't see that TSN Atmos is available on Amazon Music now, nor any sort of 5.1.
    It's still available on Amazon in the U.S., including in Atmos. Might just be a UK issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Hand that Feeds played during Packers game going to commercial just now.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Chicago Recording Company (CRC) has been demolished, per Billy Corgan.

https://x.com/smashingpumpkin/status...347415055?s=46

[edit: CRC obviously having a place in NIN history]
    Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2024 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Is the atmos mix interesting at all with a stereo mix down?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It can be. One of the many Atmos releases is an album I've heard several hundred times since release and you could definitely hear a difference.

That said, I have not found that the classical/score Atmos releases sound all that different. There are too many instruments for there to be a definite change. Like some Atmos songs you can hear the two guitars very clearly, one on the right rear and one on the left rear, but the multitude of strings and instruments it's more like "I guess I'm 4th chair viola for this performance".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Chicago Recording Company (CRC) has been demolished, per Billy Corgan.

https://x.com/smashingpumpkin/status...347415055?s=46

[edit: CRC obviously having a place in NIN history]
    that's sad. of note: the version of TDTWWA from Still is from the CRC session in 2000.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    that's sad. of note: the version of TDTWWA from Still is from the CRC session in 2000.
    For years, the CRC session was a treasured Internet item

Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2024 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    It's still available on Amazon in the U.S., including in Atmos. Might just be a UK issue.
    It's never been on Tidal even though they support Atmos. Would be nice for NIN to roll out these Atmos mixes sitting on servers somewhere we can't hear them onto all territories and platforms.

of note: the version of TDTWWA from Still is from the CRC session in 2000.
    It's based on that exact same arrangement (Danny and Robin on acoustic bass and guitar, Jerome on the 'junk' kit, TR on piano), but I believe for Still they re-recorded it, slightly more confidently, a few nights later... there was a Fragility 2.0-era NIN.com post that showed a backstage/dressing room-type recording setup, with Keith Hillebrandt visible and presumably manning the synth introduction. The Still version of "Something I Can Never Have" is patterned on this setup, as well (although they did it later, back at home in NOLA, with Jerome on acoustic guitar and different synths).
    Last edited by botley; 01-18-2024 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    They are using "Head Like a Hole" for the new Statham movie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

And let’s not forget:

On Amazon Music I'm seeing Halsey's album in Atmos but not The Social Network

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    He's loud and he's rockin' a PHM t, he's Mr. Matty and he's cooking somethin'

Last edited by botley; 01-18-2024 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He's loud and he's rockin' a PHM t, he's Mr. Matty and he's cooking somethin'
    I've never watched his clips before but after watching that the vibe of The Bear makes A LOT more sense.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Love him on The Bear!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Highly recommend his debut YouTube show Just A Dash if you enjoy that level of inanity/yelling.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    While listening to a weekly podcast from a local group that hosts club nights in Tampa, I came across a cover track of Closer by Trevor Something.
    He just released an album with a bunch of covers.

Here is the playlist for the current show - Communion After Dark - January 22nd, 2024 Edition — Communion After Dark - For those interested, they can be found on Spotify and most other music streaming platforms as well as Youtube.
    Trevor Something Bandcamp - Archetypes | Trevor Something (bandcamp.com)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I've never watched his clips before but after watching that the vibe of The Bear makes A LOT more sense.
    Matty Matheson is the the answer to "What if Rip Taylor was a west end Toronto hipster?"

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Matty Matheson is the the answer to "What if Rip Taylor was a west end Toronto hipster?"
    He has quite a bit of Daniel Tosh in his persona too, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Adrian Belew speaks about not touring with NIN and it's pretty sad... (begins at 13:38)
    I think in the past he just said that while he was promised a total reimagining of the material, in the rehearsals he was pushed to do things almost exactly the way they were played before, and he got annoyed with that and left. The version in this video paints it in a bit different light