Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Remember when Patton's lyrics were sort of about stuff?

Not really. Half of Disco Volante is literally him singing nonsensical words and making up a fake language. The Tomahawk 'Anonymous' album is more of the same. Fantomas albums consist of him screaming with no actual lyrics at all. Mike's never been a poet in regards to lyrics and he's the first one to admit that.
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 02-26-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The Tomahawk 'Anonymous' album is more of the same.
    i thought he was actually using the lyrics from the traditional indigenous songs that they adapted, is that not true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well disco Volante have lyrics, just 3 songs and others like backstrokin with some words, he make lyrics according to the project, in anonymous he adapt the lyrics to the music, i see it like spoken word, is fantastic, his work in Corpse Flower have some of my favorite lyrics.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Maybe I should listen to Corpse Flower again.

I get that he has a lot of material in his catalogue that relied less on lyrics and more of performance. But it felt like he used to put a lot more thought and effort into lyrics when there were lyrics. Then around the time time when PeepingTom came out it seemed like he stopped caring as much.

I know he isn't some poet, I just haven't felt very engaged with much of his work post 2005.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That is amazing. Love it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I gave Corpse Flower another spin and I love this thing. I listen to it all the time now. On Top of The World, Pink and Blue and the song about the schoolgirl are highlights. Maybe my previous posts were being hard on him because Tomahawk had a solid legacy with the first three albums and subsequent material dilutes that legacy.

I have be listening to General Patton vs. X-Ecutioners again. Awesome record. The more straightforward pop elements are head and shoulders above most of the Peeping Tom album.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I gave the new Tomahawk album a listen this morning. It's much better than I was expecting. It reminds me a lot of their self-titled album. Good stuff! I'm glad I sprung for the Newbury Comics exclusive vinyl.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    This new Tomahawk fuckin rips. Best thing they have done since Mit Gas....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The new Tomahawk is really growing on me! While I adore some of the tracks and it's heavyness, some fall pretty flat for me though. Patton shows a wide range on this, but some tracks sound a little too much like Dead Cross with some of Tomahawk's DNA in there. Just like I thought Anonymus was Fantomas' version of Tomahawk. Interesting, but not everything sat right with me.

But I won't complain, eventhough I liked "Oddfellows" a bit better, guess the first two records were just too strong. Hope to see them live some day though.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    New Tomahawk is great, best thing they did since "Mit Gas"!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    This record is pretty cool so far.
    I like it better than Oddfellows.
    Sidewinder is a jam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Finally got my vinyl of the new Tomahawk. Iíve given it one vinyl listen and several digital listens. Initial thoughts:
    * The sleeve for the record is one of the cheapest, flimsiest Iíve ever encountered as a collector and the web store exclusive silver vinyl is pretty noisy.
    * it hasnít grabbed me the way Oddfellows did. The instrumentation is fantastic, but I feel like Patton does way too much spoken word stuff and not near enough actual singing on this record. Like others have said, his style between bands isnít very distinct anymore. Iíll keep listening and itíll probably grow on my eventually, but I wish he would belt things out or croon or hell even do a weird gas mask voice like he used to. Too many vocals feel like slightly mellower versions of what he does on the Easter Bunny record.
    * Despite all this, I still love Patton and most of what he does and will continue to support him.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 03-29-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The more that I listen to this album the more I like it.
    The music and production are very on point. My initial opinion about Patton doing the same thing he has been doing has subsided somewhat now that I can pick out different layers and subtleties of his performance. Recoil is probably the most pop-satisfactory rock song he has sung since 90s era FNM.

The most interesting bit of the records are when things get a little weirder and a little slow but I am happy to have the more straight forward bangers to balance things out. It is the spiritual successor to the first 2 records. I love Anonymous too much to say that this record is better or worse IMO.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Mike doing a rare interview. Talks a lot about the new album and the process making it. Probably the only interview he will be doing to promote it since he despises doing press these days

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    finally listened to the new Tomahawk yesterday.

music? A
    vocals? B-
    lyrics? D

wtf, mike? he's easily the least interesting part of this record, and that's the first time i've ever said that about something that includes him. and seriously so many of the lyrics are SO BAD. if i wanna hear him sing about jerking off i'm gonna go listen to "squeeze me macaroni"