Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Holy hell, what a great show in Boston tonight. The band sounded great and had tons of energy, and the crowd was super rowdy!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'm so jealous of anyone that gets to see any of the incarnations of Mike Patton live...

*siiigh.... one day*

EDIT: Bahaha i didn't realize i almost said the same thing on the last page.

How much of the show did he get to come out from behind the laptop?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    He was behind it most of the time. Occasionally he'd go to the side or further behind it, like in the second picture.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Tomahawk on Jimmy Fallon!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    good performance but all i could think was

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Patton opening for Reznor.

So cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An interesting read, even if I think it's nonsensical and very wrong:
    http://thequietus.com/articles/12878...-faith-no-more

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Chuck Moseley's lyrics and vocals are just dumb. That's how I've always felt. The Real Thing is my least favourite FNM album though, so I agree with that part. Epic is pretty shit.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    An interesting read, even if I think it's nonsensical and very wrong:
    http://thequietus.com/articles/12878...-faith-no-more

It's hard for me to understand how someone could honestly say that FNM was better with Chuck than with Mike.

That's like saying Dave Grohl ruined Nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    It's hard for me to understand how someone could honestly say that FNM was better with Chuck than with Mike.

That's like saying Dave Grohl ruined Nirvana.
    While I'm fond of the Chuck albums, I think the band went as far as they could with him and bringing Patton in elevated them to the next level, however briefly.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    While I'm fond of the Chuck albums, I think the band went as far as they could with him and bringing Patton in elevated them to the next level, however briefly.
    it wasn't THAT brief. i mean, angel dust & album of the year are two of my favorite albums of all time. king for a day is pretty good, but not quite as good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nice to see this thread. Mike is maybe my all time favorite vocalist. Bloody brilliant man.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Trey Spurance on Mike and his time in FNM

5. I know this is a tired old topic, but my readers would kill me if I didn't ask about it – why have you and Mike Patton not spoken in years? Did your friendship die out because of Mr. Bungle or Faith No More, or did you just go separate ways, or something else entirely?
    As time wears on you find out who your friends are, and who they aren't. Mike and I always had the best working relationship imaginable. Really, very very good and fruitful. There are other things in life we see differently. I don't think those things are irreconcilable at all. But when you get used to having things your own way, and certain people around you resist the "natural order" of becoming subordinate to you, you may start nursing resentments. Even lashing out at them and calling them egomaniacs etc. for not assuming the position. I think in my case it was too painful for Patton to realize that where there are no subordinates there is no insubordination. Like most of us, Mike tends to begin the process of deciding whether or not he can afford to discard a person's point of view altogether, rather than facing certain difficult facts of life. So to answer your question, there was never any big mess between he and I specifically. The general dysfunction coming from being expected to silently endure more and more of this emerging top-down/top-dog order-barking thing he'd taken to just ended up getting really tiresome for everyone involved. In a band, strong personalities need to know where to draw the line on this kind of stuff. Anyway, since it wasn't going to happen, I was the idiot who started to draw that line. I admit I had more emotional involvement in the process than would be neccesary for a non-robot, having poured comparatively ridiculously copious doses of my blood into the project. Patton's subsequent resentment towards me is a fairly predictable outcome. You don't stand up to him and stay off the shit-list. A bummer, yeah, but its essentially a self-protecting reflex action - something I don't really feel a need to hold against him too much. He has his way. It won't change. And after all why should it? This method works well for him overall -- who am I to question it? I dare say it's even part of his charm. (we are a nation of pathological narcissists after all!). Whatever. Really, I feel fondly about the time we spent making music together, and feel we did some great things. And, while I am diametrically opposed to it on a human level, over time I do appreciate the clarity of his cut and dry approach: how black and white it makes things. You're either in the club, or out of the club. Unfortunately, I have to say I do prefer life as an excommunicate from that kind of 'friendship'. I know he prefers it that way too. I'm sure both of us would agree it was a good run, though.

10. Were you given any artistic freedom during your brief time with Faith No More? Or were you basically told to play like Jim Martin?
    The opposite. They didn't want a Jim Martin clone. I thought his approach serviced that band really well, and that was what I was intending to do. I was very surprised to find that they wanted actual guitar playing and all that. This coincided with some different members wanting to write 'actual' songs instead of doing the "collective rhythm-section jam-session that turns into something over time" approach that had served them so well up to that point. So I think it was hard for them to figure out what the HELL they wanted from the guitar at all. In retrospect, even though I was not the right guy for that band, and promptly quit after the recording, I think I was actually the right guy for them on the CD. Since I never have any ego attachment to my precious "parts", and work always from a compositional and production point of view, they could build and tear down etc. and I'd be happy to accommodate the changes... that would've been murder for them with some 'guitar dick'. Man, their democracy was going through what seemed to me a difficult test at the time; it couldn't be said that people were in agreement as to how things should sound very often. And there was a pall of multi-faceted jaded-ness going on, despite the efforts of the great producer Andy Wallace and his assistant Cliff (both of whom taught me a great deal). So my job was to find the 'right' approach that could stand up to multiple angles of scrutiny. It was a great, healthy challenge. It wasn't easy since the band's sense of confidence about their direction was wavering both collectively and individually. So to answer your question, the "freedom" I had was to find the solution to all that from the guitarist's perspective. I think that turned out ok. You might have guessed that I don't like much of the music on that record at all. I do love Billy Gould's "Just a Man", and have always tended to like his musical ideas overall. But something happened to the balance of forces in FNM on KFAD, something not very good. Having been a fan since 1985, I knew no one was inspired in the way I knew they had been once before. The reasons for that are depressing, considering the talent in the band. Anyway, my proudest personal moment in making that CD is probably speed-scoring the string parts on it; no one had realized that the hired string players would need to have written parts until they were in the studio staring at the band

http://www.markprindle.com/spruance-i.htm

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just got Angel Dust recommended by Spotify and thought I'd do a search for Mike Patton to see what came up as I'd heard he had all manner of bizarre solo pursuits - I found something called Mondo Cane which was bizarrely brilliant old Italian pop covers from the 50s / 60s (kind of almost turn it off but keep going to see what will happen next) - him singing in a perfectly fluent Italian - amazing stuff. Absolutely WTF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I just got Angel Dust recommended by Spotify and thought I'd do a search for Mike Patton to see what came up as I'd heard he had all manner of bizarre solo pursuits - I found something called Mondo Cane which was bizarrely brilliant old Italian pop covers from the 50s / 60s (kind of almost turn it off but keep going to see what will happen next) - him singing in a perfectly fluent Italian - amazing stuff. Absolutely WTF
    yup, he recorded it while living after getting into Italian pop music while living in Italy, haven't listened to it myself though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^his vocals are amazing on it

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Faith-More.../dp/B00GUTNAZM

Finished it while traveling around the Christmas season. Excellent book.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Recent Patton interview:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    mondo cane is absolutely one of my favorite things he's ever done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The joke about Patton used to be that he was in a dozen different bands at any given time. The past couple years it seems like he's slowed down a bit with fewer projects and more film scoring work. I'm hoping his 2014 is a bit more prolific. His film stuff has been alright, but it's not anything I'm going to listen to very often.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    What I've heard of his soundtrack work so far I don't find particularly compelling: too beholden to the likes of Morricone and Zorn perhaps? I think Patton's asset is his VOICE, and when he's not using it to full capacity I find his music less interesting. That's probably why I never liked Fantomas much, too much generic yelling and shrieking (besides being a Boredoms ripoff).

The last Tomahawk album was strangely short-lived in my CD player, though I did enjoy some of it, and the show in NYC was an awesome night out.

Quite frankly I'd love some new Peeping Tom, FNM, or - a fan can dream - Bungle reunion!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll agree that most of Patton's film scoring sounds like it's trying to be an homage to Morricone. The one that was the most unique was his Crank 2 soundtrack, which may be the closest he comes to making that long rumored electronic Fantomas album.

I'm wondering whatever happened to that, or the 2nd Peeping Tom record, or the 2nd Mondo Cane, or the Nevermen project.

Oddfellows took a while to grow on me. Not quite as enjoyable as their first 2 albums.

It seems like the moment for new FNM material has passed, unless maybe Rhino wants to put out yet another greatest hits album and throw 'Matador' or some from the vaults stuff on there.

A Bungle reunion would be interesting given the different directions they've all gone in, but doesn't seem any more likely. At least it seems like they are all talking to each other again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what he's actually up to these days? Any interviews, etc indicating what he's got in store?

I too would love a new Peeping Tom record, or hell, even a Fantomas album would be awesome. I've grown a bit burnt out on the score stuff as well.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Well, Tomahawk released an album almost a year ago and they were busy touring until late fall so I guess he's only just returned to the studio gearing up to whatever comes next. He still owes us the Crudo album with Dan the Automator.

Other than that I would love to see a Mr Bungle reunion or a new Fantomas record. Or maybe something completely different?

One thing's for sure: there will be a lot of constribution to other people's records, most definitely a collab with Zorn and I've heard he's working on something with TV on the Radio.

Hasn't he indicated that there will be a Mondo Cane part two? That would be another thing I'd look forward to the most despite Tomahawk being my favorite project of his.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Does anyone know what he's actually up to these days? Any interviews, etc indicating what he's got in store?
    Scoring another movie, it seems...
    http://www.theprp.com/2014/01/09/new...vatican-tapes/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OMGSQUEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    That might be worth a stopover in the UK.

Wish they'd do a new album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At the very least Rhino can put out yet another best of compilation and throw some new & lost tracks on there, right?

I know for years Patton talked about resisting the svengalis with their suitcases full of money who wanted the band to reform for the festival circuit. It seems like they've fallen into that trap after all, but hopefully they do more than that.

Mostly, I'm just mad that they haven't done a show in Chicago.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hoping I get tickets for the Hyde Park gig on Friday! FNM live once again'll be great - have seen no other dates announced as yet....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been on a Faith No More binge for the past two weeks. King For A Day... Fool For A Lifetime is my favorite album right now.