Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, Mondo Cane is a lot of fun. more upbeat than most of his other output, it's a collection of italian ballads, but with a Patton-esque twist. i really enjoy it.
    "Mondo Cane" is awesome i also like "Pranzo Oltranzita", it's a bit more experimental than "Mondo Cane" but it's great stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New Patton interview:
    http://www.believermag.com/issues/201301/?read=interview_patton

Regarding the Faith No More reunion:
    "It’s sort of petered out. We’re also maybe a little too conscious for our own good. Meaning there’s a lineage of bands that maybe did some nice things and then needed the cash and got back together and basically just sprayed diarrhea over their entire body of work. We’re very worried about that. We don’t want to overdo it."

I guess that means it's still ongoing and they're taking a wait & see approach, which is better than just letting it die off after a couple years of sporadic touring.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    now we're talking:

Can't wait for January 29th!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Reviews of the whole album are starting to appear. I wonder if we'll have a chance to hear the whole thing before the 29th.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's out there already as I've seen a lot of semi-professional reviews, too. And iTunes previews are up aswell for anyone who wants a tease. And they truly sound like a return to form!
    Last edited by dlb; 01-16-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    New album is good. Not my favorite, but good enough that I've came back to it for more.
    Last edited by Soma; 02-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That song posted by dlb is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    It doesn't grab me as instantly as the first one did, but oddfellows is a great record full of everything that is Tomahawk and it does well combining past releases while putting a bit more emphasis on a rocking guitar sound. It could be a little longer though. Favorites so far: oddfellows, south paw, waratorium and typhoon. But there's actually no weak track at all, even stone letter, as poppy as it first came along fits the mood perfectly.Can't wait to see those guys live! And I hop I will!

EDIT: new favorite track: white hats - black hats

Can't believe that it took these guys so long to come up with a new record, but after several listening sessions I have to say that oddfellows is my second favorite Tomahawk album (the self titled remains the best of them) and a strong entry for my best of 2013 list.
    Last edited by dlb; 01-20-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Awesome. I will be seeing them live in just over a month's time!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I bought my copy of Oddfellows in Best Buy today. CDs FTW! (even though they do add more plastic to the world and take up a shitload of space: child of the 90s here).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Meh, the Oddfellows case is AWESOME.

I too bought it last Friday, given it a really good solid listen now and it is an awesome album. Oddfellows, Stone Letter and South Paw were immediate favourites, but I've come to love them all now. Actually I'll really just echo dlb's post above. It didn't grab me at first but now it has in a big way. I.O.U and The Quiet Few... <3

I fucking love pumping the volume on South Paw too.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Good Patton article in the new Decibel Magazine: some interesting background material on Bungle and FNM.
    http://www.decibelmagazine.com/

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Has anyone gotten a physical copy yet? Is it a digipack like the other Tomahawk releases or a jewel case?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got it from iTunes, but the photos on the album's Discogs.com page seem to indicate a digipack

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    It is a digipack. Nice pictures.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    no inserts or anything, pretty much just basic liner note info. not complaining for $7.99 though I guess

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Thanks, then I will see to get it soon! Right now it's my album of 2013. Curious how it will last over the next 10 months.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Saw them live on Saturday at Soundwave. I don't like how he just uses a laptop now, using it loses something. Was rad seeing them though, very disappointed they didn't play South Paw. The crowd were yelling out to play it but they didn't! Only three songs from Oddfellows (Oddfellows, Stone Letter and Baby Let's Play ______).

But damn those Mit Gas songs punch ya in the face live!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    IOU is a lovely song... its short so i usually listen to it 3 times in a row...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I still have yet to see anything Mike Patton has ever done live............ *sigh*

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verthandi View Post
    Don't forget about General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners!
    I find this to be one of his most underrated releases. It was all I listened to when it came out.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Stream Patton's new score for The Place Beyond the Pines
    http://pitchfork.com/advance/53-the-...een-the-pines/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Stream Patton's new score for The Place Beyond the Pines
    http://pitchfork.com/advance/53-the-...een-the-pines/
    i like that the link is for "the place between the pines" even though that's not the name of the film. hahaha.

anyway, this score is incredible. and the director's note made me giggle with glee. definitely going to pick this one up on vinyl.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Calling FNM fans, anyone happen to have a good quality mp3 of the re-recorded studio version of "As the worm turns" with Patton on vocals? It was released as a bonus track on the Japanese version of Angel Dust. I have been looking around forever and cannot find it anywhere. Any help is much appreciated!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Calling FNM fans, anyone happen to have a good quality mp3 of the re-recorded studio version of "As the worm turns" with Patton on vocals? It was released as a bonus track on the Japanese version of Angel Dust. I have been looking around forever and cannot find it anywhere. Any help is much appreciated!
    I still have an old-ass mp3 I found back in the early 2000s of the song. Sorry it's only 128kbps, but it's better than nothing I guess. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?36k3y45t1x75yty

I hope somebody else has it in better quality!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I still have an old-ass mp3 I found back in the early 2000s of the song. Sorry it's only 128kbps, but it's better than nothing I guess. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?36k3y45t1x75yty

I hope somebody else has it in better quality!

Thanks much! : )

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Excited to see Tomahawk on Sunday!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Excited to see Tomahawk on Sunday!
    And I'm excited to see them on Saturday!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Here's a higher quality version (V0): http://www.mediafire.com/?i63mqb8c256voln

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysixand2 View Post
    Here's a higher quality version (V0): http://www.mediafire.com/?i63mqb8c256voln
    muchas gracias!