Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    It does have a Tomahawk vibe to it, but that may just be Patton's vocal delivery these days.
    I feel that a lot of vocals on this album remind me of The Real Thing. Where he sings in a higher register and holds then notes longer to vocalize them.

Lyrics are pretty standard Patton. I find that he hasn't been putting a lot of effort into word writing since the Peeping Tom album.

The more I listed to this album the more I like it. Can't wait to buy this thing on vinyl when the time comes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    For me, it's the musical direction that gives me that vibe. How dark and eerie it sounds. That's what I meant by Tomahawk. Patton is just being Patton.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just scored a ticket to tonight's (supposedly) sold out show in SF!!! see you all soon guys

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Heard Superhero on Sirius XM. I dug it. A lot.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sol Invictus is really freaking good. Patton's voice sounds better than ever. It's a very heavy but strangely hypnotic album. I dig it. Kind of Bungle-y in parts. I get a California vibe often.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I am hugely delighted that Sol Inviticus is as good as it is. This might be my favorite album of the past 5 / 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    strangely hypnotic album.
    Weird, that's exactly the descriptor I used earlier in conversation.
    Last edited by DF118; 04-27-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Starring Duff McKagan as The Gimp

http://loudwire.com/duff-mckagan-fai...-gimp-onstage/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    'Sol Invictus' is really good. The back half of the album is all gold!

Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 04-29-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    HAHAHAHAH great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    'Sol Invictus' is really good. The back half of the album is all gold!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I can't wait for this to officially come out so I can get a better copy. This low-quality nonsense is killin' me.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I finally heard the album today. OMG!!! It is fucking great. Mike Patton is still in top form as a vocalist while the band itself is kicking ass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never been a huge FNM fan, and not really enjoying the new album, feels like it never starts grooving. But the low-quality version I have probably has an influence on that too.

Speaking of Patton, I'm not really "in the know" about his musical output. What should I check out? I heard Mr. Bungle's debut and hated it (there are some great moments, but the genre-jumping is so abrupt that it feels like a joke done for the joke's sake), bought Tomahawk's first album a few days ago and already like it more than any of the FNM stuff I heard (Real Thing, Angel Dust, King For a Day Fool For a Lifetime, Sol Invictus). I guess I should just work my way through Tomahawk's discography at first?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post

Speaking of Patton, I'm not really "in the know" about his musical output. What should I check out? I heard Mr. Bungle's debut and hated it (there are some great moments, but the genre-jumping is so abrupt that it feels like a joke done for the joke's sake), bought Tomahawk's first album a few days ago and already like it more than any of the FNM stuff I heard (Real Thing, Angel Dust, King For a Day Fool For a Lifetime, Sol Invictus). I guess I should just work my way through Tomahawk's discography at first?
    Saying that you like Patton's work and asking what to check out is kinda like saying that you like salt and are interested in checking out some food with salt in it.

What music are you into? What are you not into?

If you want more straight up rock stuff then stick to the 1st, 2nd and 4th Tomahawk albums. Listen to the song he did with Sepultura called Look Way, the song he did with Serj Tankian for that movie that no one saw, the cover of Black Flag's 6pack he did for that tribute album. Peeping Tom might also sit well with you if you prefer more structured pop based tunes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Faith no More is probably a good entry point for a newcomer. I started with Mr. Bungle's California, their most accessible album. Tomahawk, Fantomas, and all of the other stuff came later.

If I were to recommend three albums for a starter of his work I'd say:

Faith No More:
    The Real Thing
    Angel Dust

Mr. Bungle:
    California

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Never been a huge FNM fan, and not really enjoying the new album, feels like it never starts grooving. But the low-quality version I have probably has an influence on that too.

yeah, i think tomahawk might be as far down the patton rabbit hole you're going to enjoy going. and like @mfte said, skip their third album, because you're probably not going to enjoy it very much.

he's done so many things with so many people (and by himself) and most of it is really...weird. tomahawk and FNM are his most straightforward projects, but they're still very different.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    my Patton favorites are:

Tomahawk - especially the first record, and the last one "oddfellows" are their best and my favorite Patton work
    Mr Bungle - I hate the first two records apart from some great moments, but I LOVE California
    Faith No More - I really don't like them either but there are some pretty amazing songs and I'm sure I could compose two very, very great records from their discography
    Dillinger Escape Plan - I adore the EP and I think it's among Patton's best work
    Peeping Tom - I like the diversity of this and I guess it's a fairly enjoyable record
    Fantomas - the selftitled and of course "the director's cut" are stellar, but one has to see the madness to fully appreciate it, I guess. Also the first and only Patton live-experience for me
    Mike Patton - a perfect place (OST) - a very nice and atmospheric soundtrack which is sadly almost neglected becaue of his more prominently featured soundtrack for Crank 2
    Mondo Cane - 60ies italian pop makes his voice and attire truly shine, great uplifting record IMHO but when you're not into Italian it probably won't be a good listen

so apart from that there are dozens of collaboration tracks that feature him on vocals or at least partially. You could compile a great list of this, so my best advice would be to go through the list on wikipedia and shot those up on youtube and figure out which ones you like. He's doing so much you actually really have to put some effort in to keep track of his nuermous adventures in music. Some great stuff and some obscure other bands to be found (most of them are signed on Ipecac records in some way of course).

Apart from that I really wish Patton would collaborate with UNKLE some day and that we get to hear what he's been cooking up with Massive Attack during the heligoland era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    my Patton favorites are:

Tomahawk - especially the first record, and the last one "oddfellows" are their best and my favorite Patton work
    Mr Bungle - I hate the first two records apart from some great moments, but I LOVE California
    Faith No More - I really don't like them either but there are some pretty amazing songs and I'm sure I could compose two very, very great records from their discography
    Dillinger Escape Plan - I adore the EP and I think it's among Patton's best work
    Peeping Tom - I like the diversity of this and I guess it's a fairly enjoyable record
    Fantomas - the selftitled and of course "the director's cut" are stellar, but one has to see the madness to fully appreciate it, I guess. Also the first and only Patton live-experience for me
    Mike Patton - a perfect place (OST) - a very nice and atmospheric soundtrack which is sadly almost neglected becaue of his more prominently featured soundtrack for Crank 2
    Mondo Cane - 60ies italian pop makes his voice and attire truly shine, great uplifting record IMHO but when you're not into Italian it probably won't be a good listen

so apart from that there are dozens of collaboration tracks that feature him on vocals or at least partially. You could compile a great list of this, so my best advice would be to go through the list on wikipedia and shot those up on youtube and figure out which ones you like. He's doing so much you actually really have to put some effort in to keep track of his nuermous adventures in music. Some great stuff and some obscure other bands to be found (most of them are signed on Ipecac records in some way of course).

Apart from that I really wish Patton would collaborate with UNKLE some day and that we get to hear what he's been cooking up with Massive Attack during the heligoland era.
    I would also recommend the Lovage record he did with Dan the Automator & Jennifer Charles.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    I would also recommend the Lovage record he did with Dan the Automator & Jennifer Charles.
    oh, fuck, i can't believe i forgot to suggest that!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    ooooh yeah! that one is even better than Peeping Tom!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No love for General Patton vs. The X-ecutioners?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    an interesting idea, but not the most well...X-ecuted

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    I used to love this album. I think it is too often overlooked. The perfect description for it would be Peeping Tom meets Mr Bungle.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Would anyone be willing to send me a DL link? On my work computer...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Would anyone be willing to send me a DL link? On my work computer...
    Coughcoughmetoocough

I've already pre-ordered the album

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh, fuck, i can't believe i forgot to suggest that!
    I'm checking out now I love Patton but not heard this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Great selections

I love Mondo Cane, absolutely amazing album. I guess with my family being Italian i know most of the originals as well. If voice is incredible as always.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    my Patton favorites are:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, iTunes doesn't have Mit Gas for some reason...
    But I bought Anonymous and am really enjoying it. Not as much as the first album, but given the sound/theme, I think it's great.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So, iTunes doesn't have Mit Gas for some reason...
    But I bought Anonymous and am really enjoying it. Not as much as the first album, but given the sound/theme, I think it's great.
    check your PMs

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    FNM is streaming their Friday show, i'm in!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fai...amed-on-yahoo/