Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    C’mon guys! Democracy on the ballot!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    President Biden trails former President Trump. Can he come back?

This is a somber, but not an alarmist look at the current state of the race.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's those very campus protester types that will decide the race by turning out for Biden or staying home. Same as 2016.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was reading an Atlantic article yesterday about how they see this as similar to the riots in the 60s and it's depressing to read for several reasons.

The 1968 Hangover - The Atlantic

What is it about Democratic National Conventions?
    Large scale, sometimes violent protests took place outside of the Staples Center as well as throughout downtown Los Angeles. Protest groups ranged from anti-abortion supporters, to homeless activists, to anti-globalization protestors, and anarchists. Out of increased fear after the surprise mass-protests at the 1999 "Battle for Seattle" WTO protests, media coverage and LAPD concern were heightened for the event.

Concerns were further raised when violent riots also broke out after the Los Angeles Lakers won the 2000 National Basketball Association Championship only a few months before the convention. Originally, a "Protest Zone" was designated a city block away from the Staples Center, but a court order forced the zone moved immediately adjacent to the arena, in a parking lot.

The protests became violent during the first evening of the convention, and many different protests, some orderly, some violent, took place over the full four days of the convention. There were numerous arrests, injuries and property damage, but the protests were less than originally feared. The band Rage Against the Machine played outside the convention showing its disdain of the policies being promoted inside the building.
    Edit: what the hell is wrong with people.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-02-2024 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    we really should have better safeguards on who can and cannot run for President.

RFK Jr says he’ll eat brain worms and ‘still beat’ Biden and Trump in debate

In a US presidential campaign season growing more bizarre by the day, the independent candidate Robert F Kennedy Jr offered “to eat five more brain worms and still beat” Donald Trump and Joe Biden in a staged debate.

Kennedy was speaking after the New York Times published a startling story about a 2012 deposition in which he said a previous neurological problem “was caused by a worm that got into my brain and ate a portion of it and then died”.

“I offer to eat five more brain worms and still beat President Trump and President Biden in a debate,” Kennedy posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

“I feel confident of the result even with a six-worm handicap.”

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wish the same could be said for Trump. At least it would somewhat explain his behavior. Unfortunately he's just a dumb motherfucker.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    The quote makes it seem like this is taken out of context. The context is much more alarming, which is that he's comparing migrants to Hannibal lecter.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It's bizarre...he compliments Hannibal, but compares them to migrants, who he hates. And the followers swallow it all up.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    And everyone is focusing on the bizarre Hannibal Lector comment, and not on what he said immediately after that… “And we better damn well win this election, because if we don’t, our country is going to be doomed. It’s going to be doomed.”

We were alarmed when he said his bloodbath comments, but he can say “vote for me or we’re all DOOMED!” And it’s just “that’s Trump.”

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And everyone is focusing on the bizarre Hannibal Lector comment, and not on what he said immediately after that… “And we better damn well win this election, because if we don’t, our country is going to be doomed. It’s going to be doomed.”

We were alarmed when he said his bloodbath comments, but he can say “vote for me or we’re all DOOMED!” And it’s just “that’s Trump.”
    It's the banality of stupid. It's baked in the cake and people are just kind of numb to it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    ....does he not know what "I'm going to have a friend for dinner" actually means?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Look, I don't like this guy, and I think he's an idiot, but it seems clear to me from the full quote that he understands the quote and was being a bit sarcastic.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Look, I don't like this guy, and I think he's an idiot, but it seems clear to me from the full quote that he understands the quote and was being a bit sarcastic.
    It was still totally bizarre, and I don’t know what he was trying to say really. I don’t think he’s dumb enough to miss that Hannibal Lector is a psychopathic cannibal, but… what was he saying with all of that? He might as well have randomly just started talking about Darth Vader or Freddie Krueger. It was weird.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    C’mon guys! Democracy on the ballot!

As much as i agree with you on Gaza, do you honestly think that donald fucking trump is the ANTIDOTE to it?
    He's already proven that he REALLY digs far-right dictator types, and that he has a PARTICULAR affinity for Netanyahu.
    Like, remember the whole shit wherein he moved the embassy? Didn't he do that PRETTY fucking fast?
    At this point, i'm afraid it's just US policy, for god knows what reason, although it MIGHT have something to do with millions of dollars pouring in for elected officials on both sides of the aisle.
    I'd LIKE to think there is at least SOME fucking strategic method to the madness...some sort of regional endgame, however grisly: my best guess is intentional provocation of Iran, but, i guess we'll see.

So, like...to change the subject: what do you guys think about the time period leading UP to the election, and directly thereafter?

I mean, the FBI warned of Russian, Chinese, and Iranian election interference in FEB, ffs. Annnnnnnd, well, they were right.
    China's already been CAUGHT doing it, with the whole Spamouflage and MAGAflage buisiness...so, that's ONE thing.
    It looks like the goal is to get us pissed off at EACH OTHER, so they can take Taiwan while we're busy fighting amongst ourselves, but that's another story, i guess.

I really am SINCERELY worried about the STRONG possibility of social unrest, the likes of which we've never seen, especially if Trump DOESN'T win.
    If Trump wins, we get riots, and a near dictatorship.
    If he LOSES, well...he's going to SAY he won, and, yeah.
    We'll have much, much WORSE riots, and like, how you say...domestic terrorism and shit?
    Every day will be Jan 6 Plus, i'm afraid.

I can feel it: this isn't a regular election.
    THIS is going to be REALLY fucked up, one way or another.

Edit: ok, i'll drop the REALLY, but, i expect it to be at least, like, PRETTY fucked up.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It was still totally bizarre, and I don’t know what he was trying to say really. I don’t think he’s dumb enough to miss that Hannibal Lector is a psychopathic cannibal, but… what was he saying with all of that? He might as well have randomly just started talking about Darth Vader or Freddie Krueger. It was weird.
    I mean...Trump's 'juggernaut' re-election bid like the Death Star, campaign boss boasts
    Brad Parscale, a digital marketing expert turned Trump champion, used Twitter to declare that the Trump re-election campaign had constructed a “Death Star”, a reference to the fictional Star Wars space station capable of destroying planets with a big laser.

“For nearly three years we have been building a juggernaut campaign (Death Star). It is firing on all cylinders. Data, Digital, TV, Political, Surrogates, Coalitions, etc,” Parscale said.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    As much as i agree with you on Gaza, do you honestly think that donald fucking trump is the ANTIDOTE to it?
    He's already proven that he REALLY digs far-right dictator types, and that he has a PARTICULAR affinity for Netanyahu.
    Like, remember the whole shit wherein he moved the embassy? Didn't he do that PRETTY fucking fast?
    At this point, i'm afraid it's just US policy, for god knows what reason, although it MIGHT have something to do with millions of dollars pouring in for elected officials on both sides of the aisle.
    I'd LIKE to think there is at least SOME fucking strategic method to the madness...some sort of regional endgame, however grisly: my best guess is intentional provocation of Iran, but, i guess we'll see.

So, like...to change the subject: what do you guys think about the time period leading UP to the election, and directly thereafter?

I mean, the FBI warned of Russian, Chinese, and Iranian election interference in FEB, ffs. Annnnnnnd, well, they were right.
    China's already been CAUGHT doing it, with the whole Spamouflage and MAGAflage buisiness...so, that's ONE thing.
    It looks like the goal is to get us pissed off at EACH OTHER, so they can take Taiwan while we're busy fighting amongst ourselves, but that's another story, i guess.

I really am SINCERELY worried about the STRONG possibility of social unrest, the likes of which we've never seen, especially if Trump DOESN'T win.
    If Trump wins, we get riots, and a near dictatorship.
    If he LOSES, well...he's going to SAY he won, and, yeah.
    We'll have much, much WORSE riots, and like, how you say...domestic terrorism and shit?
    Every day will be Jan 6 Plus, i'm afraid.

I can feel it: this isn't a regular election.
    THIS is going to be REALLY fucked up, one way or another.

Edit: ok, i'll drop the REALLY, but, i expect it to be at least, like, PRETTY fucked up.
    The thing about these Bernie or bust types is that the single issue like Gaza doesn't really matter to them. Like, yeah, Biden is fucking up by continuing to send money to Israel and the party is fucking up by backing them. But trump would happily just bomb Palestine right alongside Netanyahu.

That nuance doesn't matter to the people abstaining in November, voting for third party candidates, because for them it's just narcissism and vanity. I couldn't even count how many times one of these people on social issue took strong issues with me to to declare they're a "leftist" and not a "liberal" and no matter how many times id explain to them that I understood the distinction and found it arbitrary, they would keep explaining. Because it's about identity and being included in a group for them. They aren't policy minded, and while they have good political ideas and beliefs they are unable to reconcile it with any kind of realistic strategy, because it's a performance for them.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The thing about these Bernie or bust types is that the single issue like Gaza doesn't really matter to them. Like, yeah, Biden is fucking up by continuing to send money to Israel and the party is fucking up by backing them. But trump would happily just bomb Palestine right alongside Netanyahu.

That nuance doesn't matter to the people abstaining in November, voting for third party candidates, because for them it's just narcissism and vanity. I couldn't even count how many times one of these people on social issue took strong issues with me to to declare they're a "leftist" and not a "liberal" and no matter how many times id explain to them that I understood the distinction and found it arbitrary, they would keep explaining. Because it's about identity and being included in a group for them. They aren't policy minded, and while they have good political ideas and beliefs they are unable to reconcile it with any kind of realistic strategy, because it's a performance for them.
    Remember when we had Liberal Republicans and Conservative Democrats?
    That was cool.
    You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, regarding the fact that trump would happily continue what's going on in gaza.

I honestly like Bernie...i appreciated the speech he gave on the senate floor, regarding Gaza.
    And, i'm a leftist...well, more of a Social Utopianist (you know, imaginary shit which this country isn't capable of doing, ever)?
    and not entirely a democrat.
    HOWEVER, i'm diametrically opposed to a fucking right wing autocracy, and i'm glad to FINALLY see someone other than me ( @Baphomette ) mention P2025 and A47 , here.
    And, naturally, the Blue team lines up with my values the most. It's all we've got.
    For me, it's mostly about HEALTHCARE.

When it comes to the privilege of VOTING: where i live, my vote QUITE LITERALLY doesn't count. I mean, they COUNT it, but an entire TEN PEOPLE voted for "not Trump" in 2020, in my district. So, i CAN stay home, without affecting the election.
    I won't, though: i want my fucking name on record, as a Conscientious Objector, to what the theocrats, Bannon, and their useful idiot, have in store for this country.

Regarding the end of my previous post, though, does anyone else think that this fall and winter may be when things go TRULY sideways?
    Last edited by elevenism; Yesterday at 03:38 PM.