Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    C’mon guys! Democracy on the ballot!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    President Biden trails former President Trump. Can he come back?

This is a somber, but not an alarmist look at the current state of the race.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's those very campus protester types that will decide the race by turning out for Biden or staying home. Same as 2016.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was reading an Atlantic article yesterday about how they see this as similar to the riots in the 60s and it's depressing to read for several reasons.

The 1968 Hangover - The Atlantic

What is it about Democratic National Conventions?
    Large scale, sometimes violent protests took place outside of the Staples Center as well as throughout downtown Los Angeles. Protest groups ranged from anti-abortion supporters, to homeless activists, to anti-globalization protestors, and anarchists. Out of increased fear after the surprise mass-protests at the 1999 "Battle for Seattle" WTO protests, media coverage and LAPD concern were heightened for the event.

Concerns were further raised when violent riots also broke out after the Los Angeles Lakers won the 2000 National Basketball Association Championship only a few months before the convention. Originally, a "Protest Zone" was designated a city block away from the Staples Center, but a court order forced the zone moved immediately adjacent to the arena, in a parking lot.

The protests became violent during the first evening of the convention, and many different protests, some orderly, some violent, took place over the full four days of the convention. There were numerous arrests, injuries and property damage, but the protests were less than originally feared. The band Rage Against the Machine played outside the convention showing its disdain of the policies being promoted inside the building.
    Edit: what the hell is wrong with people.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-02-2024 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    we really should have better safeguards on who can and cannot run for President.

RFK Jr says he’ll eat brain worms and ‘still beat’ Biden and Trump in debate

In a US presidential campaign season growing more bizarre by the day, the independent candidate Robert F Kennedy Jr offered “to eat five more brain worms and still beat” Donald Trump and Joe Biden in a staged debate.

Kennedy was speaking after the New York Times published a startling story about a 2012 deposition in which he said a previous neurological problem “was caused by a worm that got into my brain and ate a portion of it and then died”.

“I offer to eat five more brain worms and still beat President Trump and President Biden in a debate,” Kennedy posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

“I feel confident of the result even with a six-worm handicap.”

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wish the same could be said for Trump. At least it would somewhat explain his behavior. Unfortunately he's just a dumb motherfucker.