Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Menstruation Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Went to the doc about the fact that I was getting my period every other week while on my old pill (Microlite), which I'd been on for aaaaages and had been taking correctly the whole time.

Doctor: [Mess of crap about safe sex, STDs and going to the nurse who is really fucking incompetent so that she can stick instruments inside me to see if I have an STD even though it would be really fucking bizarre and/or impossible if I did; lecture about using condoms in conjunction with birth control in spite of the fact that the main reason I'm taking the pill is so that a) my periods are less intolerable and b) if I'm assaulted I won't get pregnant and not be able to have an abortion because Irish Catholic Church yaaaaay]

Me: Uh, sure. I'll make an appointment (but probably with someone else to do it because apparently that nurse is really inappropriate and I don't really like having people I don't trust touching my bits).
    Doctor:I'll put you on Yasmin. It should help the irregularity. If you get a period before the end of the pack, just take pills through the week you would've had your period instead.

Me: Er, but I'm taking it through so that I don't get periods (because I fucking told you and the other doctor you work with that periods are painful and inconvenient and are not something I would ever like to have to go through again and it was agreed that I could use these types of pills to skip it).

Doctor: You shouldn't do that.

Me: ...

A week later I've reached the efficacy stage of Yasmin and wow, suddenly everything's terrible! Mood swings (to the point of actually contemplating self-harm, which hasn't been an issue in at least a year), generally 'feeling weird', stomach cramps, ZERO LIBIDO, heart flutters...

Needless to say I'm not taking Yasmin any more. I haven't had the chance to go in to talk to my doctor yet to get something else but fuck it if I was going to wait a month for the side effects to 'settle down' like everybody recommends. I think it's acceptable if someone who has a history of depression decides not to continue with medication that makes them depressed.

Ugh. Anyway, kind of at a loose end for what to do. Apparently there are progesterone-only pills that I haven't tried yet but I'm scared something like this will happen again. My friend recommended Implanon (the bar) but apparently that can cause wildly irregular periods for the first year (or, you know, for the entire duration) and I wouldn't want to get an implant if it gave me the same sort of side effects long-term. To cap it off I feel like my doctor doesn't listen to me half the time so I'm worried she won't actually take into account my susceptibility to symptoms and particular preferences before prescribing me with something.

It'd be so much easier if I didn't have a uterus -_-

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Great my period is going to start a day before NYE and just before I go back to work!! No wonder I have been feeling like a moody cow for the past couple of days!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I got the shot birth control and it's doing miracles to my PMS. Hopefully it will eliminate my period as well as it is reported to do. It would be normally due on around next week, so I'm crossing my fingers! I got a bigger dosage this first time so I'll be hopefully free of the stain for atleast 5 months. Then I have to make an appointment with a doctor and get it again. I recently learned that while lieing down our blood can seep back into our ovaries and can cause a lot of problems for some women. Gross gross gross. Unless we live in a primitive society where we are basically pregnant continously, I really don't find any reason to let myself keep bleeding. Fuck. That.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Damn this thing! Feels like someone is scraping out the bottom of my uterus with a teaspoon! agggh!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    If i don't bleed tonight, the earth is in peril.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My periods are shorter ever since I had my tubal ligation done.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    If i don't bleed tonight, the earth is in peril.
    S'alright, I'll fly over and push you down the stairs.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin5in View Post
    My periods are shorter ever since I had mytubal ligation done. got a Mirena IUD.
    my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    OMG first period w/out ibuprofen (pretty much since it was invented) and I'm ready to murder the entire planet. If the cramps stay this bad, my liver's just gonna hafta deal.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 12-13-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I honestly hate my IUD (fucking thanks, Mirena). I thought it was gonna do away with my periods. No. I still have them and they last for about 10 days. On top of that, I get my period every 3 weeks. I'm so tempted to pull it out but I'm "insured" for another 3 years with the IUD.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    A week later I've reached the efficacy stage of Yasmin and wow, suddenly everything's terrible! Mood swings (to the point of actually contemplating self-harm, which hasn't been an issue in at least a year), generally 'feeling weird', stomach cramps, ZERO LIBIDO, heart flutters...
    I've been taking Yasmin for 12 years. It's fine. And I do often run 3 packs together to not get a period.

Edit: huh. That was from a year ago.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The Menstruation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I honestly hate my IUD (fucking thanks, Mirena). I thought it was gonna do away with my periods. No. I still have them and they last for about 10 days. On top of that, I get my period every 3 weeks. I'm so tempted to pull it out but I'm "insured" for another 3 years with the IUD.
    Interesting, not my experience at all.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

The Menstruation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Interesting, not my experience at all.
    So, what is your experience?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    PULLING IT OUT? D: I hope you mean going in for that. I can't imagine how much it's gonna suck when I get mine removed.

I've had Paragard for 4 years and I'm beginning to really really seriously consider switching to the implant. While I love not being on hormones and not having to take a pill daily, I feel like stuff is DRASTICALLY more prone to getting screwed up down there with an IUD (given that things have spent way more time off than on in the past 4 years. Nothing too bad, and taking a probiotic daily would help significantly, I'm sure, but yeah.) and my periods are absolutely insane. They last a week+ and the first few days are insanely, INSANELY heavy. Pad and tampon heavy.

I noticed my sex drive was slightly decreased while on the pill, but guess what depression due to my hormones being unregulated results in? YEP.

The fact is, when I was on the pill I didn't have the issues with hormonal depression I do now.

So, while I'm wary of being on hormones again, it seems like something I should look into.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    So, what is your experience?
    Prior to Mirena, I had the copper IUD for awhile with no problems whatsoever. A really regular woman with a one solid day of flow that was killer. When I got the Mirena, I stayed completely regular but maybe even more predictable - 26 days without fail. I was told that flow could completely go away which I had mixed feelings about, but after two years, it never has really gone away but that one solid day turned into a minor moment. Virtually no cramps or back pain too. As much as I know some folks don't believe PMS is real, I still have my completely irrational day.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    stopped taking my BC and am happy to be less hormonal and have more money in my pocket but not happy about going from zero acne to a new zit or two every day. And I forgot that my cramps get extremely painful when not on the pill. hopefully in another month or so my body will reset itself back to normal

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Fuck Mirena. Constant bleeding for 5 months and zero libido that didn't even out for another handful of months.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Fuck Mirena. Constant bleeding for 5 months and zero libido that didn't even out for another handful of months.
    It really killed your libido? I dunno about that one. I don't know if it's the Mirena or me being in my early 30s but I'm hornier than in my 20s.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Any type of hormonal birth control can mess with your libido. Thats why I switched from the pill to a hormone free IUD. If I remember correctly the Mirena is an IUD that also distributes hormones So maybe try just the copper IUD?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I have no idea what's up anymore. I was supposed to be on my period this week but it didn't happen as of yet. Maybe next week, next month, who knows these days.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The Menstruation Thread

Mirena is the hormonal one and it hasn't messed my libido one bit. Everyone is different I guess.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It really killed your libido? I dunno about that one. I don't know if it's the Mirena or me being in my early 30s but I'm hornier than in my 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhet View Post
    Any type of hormonal birth control can mess with your libido. Thats why I switched from the pill to a hormone free IUD. If I remember correctly the Mirena is an IUD that also distributes hormones So maybe try just the copper IUD?
    Yep. I thought it was age related too, but these last few months have proven that wrong. Everything is back to where it was before and I feel like a horny teenager once again. Going to do the copper thing soon.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm glad that worked for you unfortunately mine never really returned to the way it was before..went from everyday to a few times a month

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    ^Buzzkill.

I feel like my periods are getting heavier. My periods were so light that I wouldn't have to wear a tampon. But this month, and after about 2 1/2 years, I'm gonna have to wear one. I don't want to pull out the Mirena because I can't afford the patch and my insurance totally covered Mirena. Ugh. So frustrating.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The Menstruation Thread

^Buzzkill.

I feel like my periods are getting heavier. My periods were so light that I wouldn't have to wear a tampon. But this month, and after about 2 1/2 years, I'm gonna have to wear one. I don't want to pull out the Mirena because I can't afford the patch and my insurance totally covered Mirena. Ugh. So frustrating.
    You still got 2.5 years to go. Get a pad.

I keed I keed.

I remember completely embracing my mense. Then my gyno gave me historical context. Back in the day, a woman was always pregnant so "periods" really didn't happen.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Back in the day, a woman was always pregnant so "periods" really didn't happen.
    Fuck that shit!!!! lol

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The Menstruation Thread

Fuck that shit!!!! lol
    Seriously, from 12 to 35 preggo and then You died of some public health issue.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The Menstruation Thread

Watching Call the Midwife (a show about you guessed it..midwives..set in the 50's based on a true story) definitely made me appreciate how good we have it now in comparison.

Birth control isn't perfect but Jesus at least I don't have 10 kids.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Seriously, from 12 to 35 preggo and then You died of some public health issue.
    I wouldn't mind being pregnant all the time. It's the whole birth and having a child thing.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I had to bring this thread back into light because I hate my hormones today. Why can't I just get my period and be over with it? My period is a few days late. I'm fine with that. What I am not fine with is me crying in the parking lot at the health food store one minute and then trying to look hot as hell with my frizzy hair and pimples every where so that some guy can notice me. I'm crying to Tori Amos thinking the worst. Then, I'm dancing to the Doors, pretending like I'm the happiest fucker in the planet. Fucking bloody hell.
    Last edited by Charmingly Miserable; 09-08-2014 at 10:30 PM.