Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The NIN and Trent Reznor AI Voice thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Seeing the allegations that Hollywood execs would be considering AI writing/actor scans (which seems stupid, but, still something feasible for those execs to try)...Just makes me think of those NIN AI songs that have their own thread. IMO they're pretty much all bad (the voice sounds like poorly rendered auto-tune or some 1980s video game voice-work). Reminds me of all the the mash-ups that took-over for a minute, only worse since these are fake voices instead of samples. Curious how far it goes before copyright issues are brought up...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The future that comes with the advancement of this technology is going to be very impactful of course. But so was sampling. All of the sudden it was possible to take an artist's existing recording and use it in ways previously unimaginable. There are going to be those who use this to make innovative art, and there will be those who will try and make as much money possible from it. C'est la vie.

This is how we get our precious Tapeworm album people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    The future of music will be artists licensing their voice to the industry, and raking in checks.

I can already see someone like Britney Spears who is somewhat tired of it all to lend her voice to a recording label, who will just produce the music and use her model to enhance the tracks. Using Britney as an example because her latest Elton John remix track doesn't even sound like her anymore. So using a bulletproof AI to make it sound like her is going to be super easy.

Imagine folks like The Beatles giving their voice for future tracks. They will all be dead soon, so they label don't give a fuck, and the family who wants to see a couple millions will happily sign the deeds.

Many may revolt, but once the checks start coming, and the artists start getting older, this will become a hideous norm.

People used to joke about 2Pac being alive. He will be once they start producing albums with his voice.

What's interesting, you will start seeing bedroom artists with great production skills but zero vocal skills to use AI to blend voices and not reveal that it's AI, and that they stole the voice. God knows the record label would love to hear a new rocking tracks with Chris Cornell AI being featured.

Y'all see the shitty vision? Incomplete albums and demos will now be completed. Two artists who never got along will now get along.

Art.
    I don't think so. It will darker than that. They won't get paid at all. It's Napster on cocaine. Everything and everyone will be available to anyone for free. That includes the people you love. someone has a crush on your spouse? All they will need is a picture to recreate them in an vr environment and experience them any way they want. Shits about to get dark...real dark..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zur En Arrh View Post
    I don't think so. It will darker than that. They won't get paid at all. It's Napster on cocaine. Everything and everyone will be available to anyone for free. That includes the people you love. someone has a crush on your spouse? All they will need is a picture to recreate them in an vr environment and experience them any way they want. Shits about to get dark...real dark..
    Funny that you said "Napster on cocaine".

I was thinking if someone find those track names from Napster and actually make it happen.

"Limp Bizkit v Korn v Rage Against The Machine v Linkin Park - All In the Family"

Or "Nine Inch Nails x Enimem x Limp Bizkit x Slipknot - Turn Me Loose"

Or "Metallica x Megadeth x Iron Maiden x Black Sabbath - Symphony of Destruction".

But yeah, I will pretend AI and deepfake won't impact me directly until it does, and it will one day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was actually just talking to my wife about using AI to make some of those old Limewire fakes a reality. lol

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    The future that comes with the advancement of this technology is going to be very impactful of course. But so was sampling. All of the sudden it was possible to take an artist's existing recording and use it in ways previously unimaginable. There are going to be those who use this to make innovative art, and there will be those who will try and make as much money possible from it. C'est la vie.

This is how we get our precious Tapeworm album people

I just saw this episode, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny that you said "Napster on cocaine".

I was thinking if someone find those track names from Napster and actually make it happen.

"Limp Bizkit v Korn v Rage Against The Machine v Linkin Park - All In the Family"

Or "Nine Inch Nails x Enimem x Limp Bizkit x Slipknot - Turn Me Loose"

Or "Metallica x Megadeth x Iron Maiden x Black Sabbath - Symphony of Destruction".

But yeah, I will pretend AI and deepfake won't impact me directly until it does, and it will one day.
    " nine inch nails Zelda theme"

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zur En Arrh View Post
    " nine inch nails Zelda theme"
    Nine Inch Nails + i forgot who - Comfortably Numb

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ‘Dive and Slam’, FINALLY!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    @shagg_187

its funny to me you think the artists will be raking in checks.

nobody is gonna pay the artists for this. the labels will figure out how to exclude them entirely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    @shagg_187

its funny to me you think the artists will be raking in checks.

nobody is gonna pay the artists for this. the labels will figure out how to exclude them entirely.
    You're right. Already happening in Hollywood.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Seeing the allegations that Hollywood execs would be considering AI writing/actor scans (which seems stupid, but, still something feasible for those execs to try)...Just makes me think of those NIN AI songs that have their own thread. IMO they're pretty much all bad (the voice sounds like poorly rendered auto-tune or some 1980s video game voice-work). Reminds me of all the the mash-ups that took-over for a minute, only worse since these are fake voices instead of samples. Curious how far it goes before copyright issues are brought up...
    Those AI-generated "songs" are an eldritch fucking horror. It's very depressing (but not at all surprising) how this technology will be/is already being used. But as somebody once said "When we could have done anything, we wound up building this" etc, etc, etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVirtualMemoryOfficial View Post
    Those AI-generated "songs" are an eldritch fucking horror. It's very depressing (but not at all surprising) how this technology will be/is already being used. But as somebody once said "When we could have done anything, we wound up building this" etc, etc, etc.
    As a musician those AI-generated songs ended any panic I had about this technology on music because in the end "what if this song was perfomed by this singer/band" will be the peak creativity those who were licking this abomination will generate. Ironic how it's the same people who can't understand how a guy like DJ Khaled's still managing to have a career. More ironic that I had to read some comparing this to the rise of synthesizers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While I've definitely used the AI stuff for "what if this singer sang this song" things I also used it for reconstructing damaged lines in demos or making the "correct" singer sing a song that we only have demos of with guide vocals (Linkin Park has a few released demos where Mike Shinoda sings lines intended to be sung by Chester Bennington for instance). I sincerely hope it's never used by labels to revive dead artists and really only see it as a fun little tool to play around with and as long as it stays that way I don't see any harm in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That’s exactly what they want to do. They’ll be raiding dead artist’s vaults for any scrap of melody and turning it into a full new track. And it won’t stop there. I can see a future where you not only pick what movie/show you want to watch, but you’ll be able to subscribe to actor packs so you can choose who you want to see. It’ll be horrific.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Look at static X, perfect example. They made a whole album with Wayne static and hes dead. its already possible

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not NIN, but this probably has to be one of the better AI songs I’ve heard so far. Johnny Cash doing a few pop song verses, along with a written verse from the creator. It’s pretty wild how real this sounds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There I Ruined It uses this stuff to fantastic effect. AI Frank Sinatra doing Get Low is another great one. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I tried to make a closer cover since he was originally supposed to sing the song but my software decided to stop working. I think its because im on AMD....

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Outside of extremely beneficial medical advances, is anyone else kind of getting sick of hearing about AI? I’m literally bored reading/hearing about it lately. So bored that I wrote “literally,” which I hate in any syntax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't know where to put this but this guy/girls remixes of the downward spiral are absolute monsters. I've been blasting them all day...I'm hooked!!!

https://m.youtube.com/@blackacid292

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Happy Ending / Sewer Home (from TMNT Soundtrack), now with vocals by AI Trent Reznor. Wanted to make it a happy love song.

AI programming by leftshoe18 (Thank you so much for collaborating with me on this!).

[If this upsets you, good. If this makes you feel weird, good. Starting a conversation about it sooner than later with results is how it will be regulated.].
    Last edited by shagg_187; 08-05-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Not NIN, but this probably has to be one of the better AI songs I’ve heard so far. Johnny Cash doing a few pop song verses, along with a written verse from the creator. It’s pretty wild how real this sounds.

Humanity is doomed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    [Starting a conversation about it sooner than later with results is how it will be regulated.].
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Humanity is doomed.
    Speaking of regulations... Universal Music and Warner Music is currently working on deal with Google that would include deepfake songs:

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2023/08/g...cal-deepfakes/

"Discussions between Google and Universal Music are at an early stage and no product launch is imminent, but the goal is to develop a tool for fans to create these tracks legitimately, and pay the owners of the copyrights for it, said people close to the situation. Artists would have the choice to opt in, the people said."
    Last edited by shagg_187; 08-08-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's just objectively worse than the situation we had before, where only Trent reznor could make Trent reznor music. Nevermind how confusing this is going to make things in the future. The music landscape is going to be a hell scape of limewire style mislabels and mashups.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It's just objectively worse than the situation we had before, where only Trent reznor could make Trent reznor music. Nevermind how confusing this is going to make things in the future. The music landscape is going to be a hell scape of limewire style mislabels and mashups.
    My NIN vinyl collection isn't under any questions of authenticity. More reason to support artists by purchasing physical.

Going forward, everything presented on the internet should be held with suspicion of it being manipulated or generated (art, news, data, etc.).

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftshoe18 View Post
    There I Ruined It uses this stuff to fantastic effect. AI Frank Sinatra doing Get Low is another great one. lol
    Finally a good version of "Hurt"

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Finally a good version of "Hurt"
    Considering Brian Wilson's story, he could have written those lyrics...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)