Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Static-X covers Terrible Lie

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Look, I think it's fine if you like the cover. I'm sure there are covers that I like that are reviled by people, but I don't think we should like it just because the lead singer is no longer with us. I can appreciate that this is cool for fans of the band, but I just don't think it holds much interest outside of that. Some covers can feel transcendent (see: Johnny Cash and Hurt), but this feels like something that's only really going to appeal to that group for the most part.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lol I know some say there isn't such thing as too much dual kick pedal, but I believe this video may have proved them wrong

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like the breakdown/bridge but that's about it. Not a fan of the way Wayne sings the rest of the song. Instrumentally it's pretty standard Static-X stuff. I've heard worse covers.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Title for thread should be Static-X covers Terrible Lie Terribly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tragic about Wayne but this... this is pretty bad

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    Also, did they omit HEY GOD! from the song, or is my hearing failing me?
    I might have a clue about that, I remember when ERRA covered Heresy, there was some backlash online coming from religious fans. Maybe they preferred not to offend fans unnecessarily. After all, even though it betrays the original message, the song still works if you omit that part.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This cover version made me think more about plain old 1989 version of the song on pretty hate machine. I can't judge anything i don't have music education, but this guy Wayne seems to be in rather high ranks within all of nu-metal crowd, right? I haven't followed Static X, so i'm genuinely curious. So he got much praise for having had great vocals. And here some words are barely pronounced, some syllables are gone. I understand it is not full time serious recording, but nonetheless if a renowned metal vocalist doesn't get the song quite right, then that T-Rez guy is a pretty awesome singer. But T don't go - wu-a-a-a-ah - so he ain't metal enough.
    In shorter words, Trent's singing abilities do tend to get underappreciated, in that perspective.
    Just a train of thought ran outta steam. Oh well. wasted you 2 minutes or reading, sorry.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Honestly this isn't even the 3rd or 4th worst NIN cover that's out there, have you heard In This Moments Closer cover?

This one is not the best but it's not really horrible IMO.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think it's pathetic and a cash grab. disrespectful af. I'll never give these bozos a dime.

they couldn't stand Wayne. they shit talked him every chance they got. NOW THEY WANT TO HONOR HIM?

Bull.

Also this cover sucks ass. Wayne was right to not release it. And I am a fan of Wayne. Theres a reason stuff stays unreleased. this is one of those reasons.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I think it's pathetic and a cash grab. disrespectful af. I'll never give these bozos a dime.

they couldn't stand Wayne. they shit talked him every chance they got. NOW THEY WANT TO HONOR HIM?

Bull.

Also this cover sucks ass. Wayne was right to not release it. And I am a fan of Wayne. Theres a reason stuff stays unreleased. this is one of those reasons.
    That's not true. They couldn't stand Tera. I hate when people jump to assumptions on things like this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    That's not true. They couldn't stand Tera. I hate when people jump to assumptions on things like this.
    Right. The band felt it was a "Yoko Ono" kind of situation if i'm remembering right.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I literally watched Tony talk shit on Wayne. In person multiple times. there are also plenty of interviews available to the public. They also disliked Tera. But they shit talked Wayne all day long.

I hate when people think they know whats up and post it as fact on the internet.

This is a cash grab. straight up. you can believe whatever you want.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They performed their cover live last night, apparently.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    awkward to say the least.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I literally watched Tony talk shit on Wayne. In person multiple times. there are also plenty of interviews available to the public. They also disliked Tera. But they shit talked Wayne all day long.

I hate when people think they know whats up and post it as fact on the internet.

This is a cash grab. straight up. you can believe whatever you want.
    I think if you put yourselves in the shoes of the other band members you would do the same. Wayne's death shouldn't ruin the lives of the other band members and their families because they can't make money touring and making new music. There is a lot more cash grabby things they could have done. Also, if people are willing to pay then who are you to criticise it?

Yes they hated Wayne because of Tera and his drug addition influenced by Tera. Again, if you were watching your friend destroy themselves you would probably act similar. I don't disagree with the simple point that they clearly said multiple times they hated Wayne. I disagree with you alluding to the band members actually hated him as a person and are doing this without any respect for him as a way to make money. I've never seen a band re-form and show so much respect personally. Wayne's family are totally on board with what they are doing.

Fans of the band don't have your opinion, you are just one of the people who want to ruin the experience of others. Here's some reading for you since you enjoy interviews so much. You are one of these people: https://blabbermouth.net/news/edsel-...wn-the-artists

EDIT: Also regarding the live performance, wasn't a fan of it. Just something to keep in mind is one of the supporting bands pulled out and they played a longer set so possibly chucked it in. Will be interesting to see if it stays or they play in full.
    Last edited by voidnz; 02-27-2023 at 02:13 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I find it pretty funny that they trimmed the live version down to just a minute-and-a-half.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Wayne's death shouldn't ruin the lives of the other band members and their families because they can't make money touring and making new music. There is a lot more cash grabby things they could have done. Also, if people are willing to pay then who are you to criticise it?
    I know they had to do something, it's not like his death could be swept under the rug, no matter the state of their respective relationships, but... I can't remember a band that actually survived the death of their frontman ? They just end up being a weird cover band of themselves.

Your drummer can die, your main guitarist, your amazing bassist, your writer, nobody will bat an eye. But a dead frontman and your band is DOA...

Best way to make new music is making a new band. It's hard for everyone, band and fans alike, but it's the only way out.

And concerning your last point, I get what you mean, and yeah, you're right... But people are willing to pay for a lot of stuff. It can be a measure of success, but never a measure of decency. Just because fans are happy to pay doesn't mean it's the proper thing to do. Again I have no dogs in this fight, so I'm not judging anyone here. I have no reason to believe they're not cool guys in mourning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's certainly terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It just occurred to me that Tony Campos left Ministry to reform Static-X!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I know they had to do something, it's not like his death could be swept under the rug, no matter the state of their respective relationships, but... I can't remember a band that actually survived the death of their frontman ? They just end up being a weird cover band of themselves.
    AC/DC survived their frontman's death but other than them I'm struggling to think of another band that did without becoming - as you said - a weird cover band version of themselves.

Best way to make new music is making a new band. It's hard for everyone, band and fans alike, but it's the only way out.
    It's probably really hard to be in your late 40's/going on 50 and want to start from scratch. Continuing as Static-X gives a bit of name recognition to the stuff you're putting out even if it's not really the same anymore without the voice of the band (both in terms of actually singing the songs and being the main songwriter like Wayne was).

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftshoe18 View Post
    AC/DC survived their frontman's death but other than them I'm struggling to think of another band that did without becoming - as you said - a weird cover band version of themselves.
    I was going to bring up Alice in Chains, before I realized it always was a 2-singer situation. But I'm not familiar enough with them to know how the vocal duties were shared between Layne/Jerry and Jerry/William in percentage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Genesis. Pink Floyd.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    Genesis. Pink Floyd.
    Their singers didn't die. Otherwise yeah, there would be a fuckton of examples.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That is true. Would the Joy Division to New Order transition count?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    They performed their cover live last night, apparently.

Holy fuck this is bad lmao