Thread: Random score thoughts

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    Is it spring yet?
    Did you forget how NIN time works

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    i want more tracks like A Hidden Moment with that quiet, almost imperceptible wooshing sound which makes the whole piece stand out

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Is it possible that the most obscure IMDB credit between them is TR's piano contributions to a little-seen bomb called World Traveler released in 2002? Has anybody here seen that movie?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Is it possible that the most obscure IMDB credit between them is TR's piano contributions to a little-seen bomb called World Traveler released in 2002? Has anybody here seen that movie?
    That's weird. Was he doing work as a session musician for Clint Mansell?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    That's weird. Was he doing work as a session musician for Clint Mansell?
    Kinda, I guess. This would have been around the same time as the Still recordings, so it's possible they just did the cues on TR's piano at his home in NOLA.
    Last edited by botley; 05-09-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So upcoming announced score work for Trent and Atticus is Earthquake Bird, The Watchmen and The Girl In The Window. Is there anything else?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    So upcoming announced score work for Trent and Atticus is Earthquake Bird, The Watchmen and The Girl In The Window. Is there anything else?
    They're credited with scoring this, too... dunno if that's accurate. And Trent alone is credited on this one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    So many score projects, it makes you wonder if there will be any NIN material included in the "lots coming in 2019" comment he made on New Year's Day. I'm definitely excited for the score projects, but I really hope there's a new NIN album or EP in the works, too!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Never say never when it comes to Trent & Atticus, but after the EP trilogy and touring, I feel like they're taking a break from the NIN world for a while.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    So many score projects, it makes you wonder if there will be any NIN material included in the "lots coming in 2019" comment he made on New Year's Day. I'm definitely excited for the score projects, but I really hope there's a new NIN album or EP in the works, too!
    Maybe he was referring to Old Town Road!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pops Will Eat Itself!!!(RIP Bubbles...)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This is cool. This YouTube channel does extended (~1 hour long) mixes of tracks from soundtracks and some other music. They just posted On We March today, but they also have The Four Of Us Are Dying, Lights In The Sky, 2 Ghosts I, and The Day The World Went Away.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    The Night Drive from PD is such a genius track. It sucks me back into its world every once in a while. I want it to last 80 hours.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There’s too much being released I can’t keep up with it.

absolutely loving it

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I know, right? Like, I sincerely hope that there will eventually be a compilation album of the "best of" the score work. I'd totally buy it. It would have to be two discs, though.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It really feels like TR and AR have hit their stride. A lot of their earlier stuff did have a "samey" feel to them, with some really feeling like cut offs from Ghosts (not to say that's a bad thing) while they found their feet, but now it feels like they are really getting creative with what they are releasing, and they're releasing some fucking fantasic sounding projects that not only sound distinctive to each project but continuing their consistently high quality at a machine gun pace of release...i honestly do not know how they are doing this!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    It really feels like TR and AR have hit their stride. A lot of their earlier stuff did have a "samey" feel to them, with some really feeling like cut offs from Ghosts (not to say that's a bad thing) while they found their feet, but now it feels like they are really getting creative with what they are releasing, and they're releasing some fucking fantasic sounding projects that not only sound distinctive to each project but continuing their consistently high quality at a machine gun pace of release...i honestly do not know how they are doing this!
    It's still beyond impressive, but I get the feeling they don't "throw anything away". I could very easily see TR+AR sitting down to make certain parts of Bird Box and ending up in WAVES territory. Put another way, "everything" ends up released in some form or another (eventually).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The more I think about it, the more the Watchmen score makes me wish we had seen the completion of the Millennium Trilogy by Fincher/Reznor/Ross. I feel like it gives us a bit of a glimpse into what they might have come up with for the other two films.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The more I think about it, the more the Watchmen score makes me wish we had seen the completion of the Millennium Trilogy by Fincher/Reznor/Ross. I feel like it gives us a bit of a glimpse into what they might have come up with for the other two films.
    I've honestly always viewed the box set as all three discs being each movie of the trilogy, since I knew it was never going to actually happen.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I want Trent to sing more on some of these scores. At least 1 or 2 songs per score. "Minute To Breathe" is the only song he has put his vocals on. Thats a travesty for one of the best singers around

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I want Trent to sing more on some of these scores. At least 1 or 2 songs per score. "Minute To Breathe" is the only song he has put his vocals on. Thats a travesty for one of the best singers around
    That would be cool, but it's not really how scores work. Generally, the only time a film composer does a song with vocals is for the end credits, so it would be unusual for them to do more than one (Dragon Tattoo being an exception). And of course, plenty of films don't call for an original song at all.

I like the story with A Minute To Breathe, where Trent brought Atticus a list of vocalists for the song, and Atticus basically said, "fuck you; you're singing it."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    With 10+ feature film/tv releases now, their body of work has grown to form quite a lengthy catalogue. I have to imagine at some point we will get a smaller venue tour under the TR+AR banner where they just perform work from their scores. Fuck me I want that so bad. Got me thinking what a set list for a show like that would look like? Heavy from the Fincher trilogy, maybe a couple from Before the Flood and Vietnam War, a good chunk from Watchmen and Birdbox, with 1-2 other randoms (Juno, green lines, Halloween, mid 90’s, maybe even Tetsuo or Quake?) The only full score I don’t see getting any love is Patriots Day (which is not an indictment on quality but just the fact the experience there seemed to leave a bad taste in the mouth for whatever reason).

Would they play songs most noticeable from the films themselves? The ones that sounded best live? Or the ones they were most proud of?

Would you want imagery from the films in a background video? Or prefer Original art, lighting and effects? Or a more striped down and raw no frills performance?

I think Hand Covers Bruise and What If We Could? would be likely but after that there would be so many places that set list could go. Oh the possibilities.

One day.
    Last edited by valiantsteed; 12-06-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    They could take a cue from John Carpenter's recent tours. Nothing fancy, just them playing with images from his films re-edited and screened behind them.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    They could take a cue from John Carpenter's recent tours. Nothing fancy, just them playing with images from his films re-edited and screened behind them.
    seeing john carpenter in 2016 is one of the three best concerts i've ever attended. it was such a perfect way to put on a show.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'd still like to hear them do more stuff with orchestras. What they do could translate given the weird sounds you can make with classical instruments.

Doing something close to what is illustrated here, but adjusted to their sensibilities, would be something.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I always thought a mix of small orchestra and traditional rock band instruments would work best for TR+AR is they ever do a live thing.
    Sorta like Clint does here:

Last edited by fillow; 12-08-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anybody remember how much TGWTDT vinyl box was going for originally?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Anybody remember how much TGWTDT vinyl box was going for originally?
    $300. The total price was ~$330–350 after shipping.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I know it’s not a score, but I received the Lost Highway Soundtrack vinyl in the mail today. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; this soundtrack is FUCKING AWESOME! That is all...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'd definitely be on-board for a score tour, but i'd imagine a load of NIN fans who aren't into the scores would get annoyed they aren't getting a NIN tour. That and i can't imagine it would ever reach overseas so i'd never see it unless i move to canada (which is something i've definitely been thinking about)