Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Random score thoughts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    With the writer's strike, can they make more nin please?
    I don't see them jumping into a new NIN album just because of that. I'm guessing their work on Challengers and TMNT is done, but they might still have some work to do on The Killer before it comes out in November.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    It's a good point though. If film and TV productions grind to a halt for 6 months, that affects their work pipeline at some point. If they suddenly can't do scoring, even for projects they have lined up, then what do they do to fill their creative time? I could see them pivoting to some NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I mean, the work is a collaborative effort, they can't really just keep making music for a film without dialog between many unlikely to cross a picket line.

I guess they could do promotion for TMNT since they're not sag/aftra but would they, no.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    do some live gigs maybe lol idk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Get that score-performance crew together, yeah?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I keep thinking about how would they actually do it.
    I can't see the shows being on the same scale as what Zimmer, Elfman, Williams do simply because Trent's movies are much, much smaller than these guys' movies, in general. Not blockbusters.
    Seems to me like Clint Mansell's live shows would be the closes approximation. Smaller venues and no fancy visuals, unfortunately.

What other composers do live gigs besides these? I wanna check them out too. Philip Glass? (but he has huge catalogue besides the scores too). Who else?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would love to hear some Watchmen live. I made an "album" (playlist) of the most NIN-y songs and I listen to it as if it were an NIN album. @Kid Charlemagne can attest

EDIT: A Loud Ending

Apple Music (With one bonus song from the nin-vinyl tracks)

Spotify
    Last edited by Zimbo; 07-17-2023 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Links

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The recent season of The Bear made me revisit Waves. Underrated score to an underrated movie. I wonder what held back a vinyl release. Some of their boldest work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    The recent season of The Bear made me revisit Waves. Underrated score to an underrated movie. I wonder what held back a vinyl release. Some of their boldest work.
    I wasn't expecting to hear some TR/AR score work to show up in The Bear. Like you had mentioned made me go back and revisit the Waves score.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wonder what held back a vinyl release.
    I think the response to the film killed it. Same with Patriots Day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I was under the impression the film did fairly well with critics and casual audiences? Of course terminally online film twitter people decided Waves director is a racist but do those people even support films financially?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was under the impression the film did fairly well with critics and casual audiences? Of course terminally online film twitter people decided Waves director is a racist but do those people even support films financially?
    It did well critically, but it only made about 1.5 million total. I'm sure it was expected to get some awards hype too, but it didn't fare too well though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I kind of feel like they're not especially interested in physical releases for the scores any more unless there's like, a hook to it, like with the Mank set. Before that, there was Bird Box, which had the carefully-crafted bird box-style packaging, Watchmen, which had the hook of the packaging being in-universe, and Soul, which is a Disney-Pixar thing so the score was probably getting a vinyl release no matter what. The last score that got a standard vinyl release was Vietnam War, and that was six years ago.

There's also the sequencing issue for Waves - you can dedicate a side to Wounds Heal, but Feedback Loop and The Light Shines Through are pretty far apart on the track list and both are long songs, so you'd basically have to shuffle the whole track list to make it fit on two records.

I mean, like, we didn't even get Null numbers for these last two scores, when they could just be put in the descriptions on Bandcamp. It just feels like they're taking a different approach to how the scores are released now.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post

I mean, like, we didn't even get Null numbers for these last two scores, when they could just be put in the descriptions on Bandcamp. It just feels like they're taking a different approach to how the scores are released now.
    They were Null 14 & 15 according to NINcatalog. But the elephant in the room here is the vinyl production supply stranglehold from the major labels.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I will be very surprised if there isn't a vinyl for TMNT (probably with several colored variants), much less certain on Challengers. When it comes to scores you've gotta assume there are a lot more moving parts, more fingers in the pie, more decision-makers and bean-counters you have to win over to get a physical release. It's probably infinitely more complicated than "TR wants to release it on vinyl."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They were Null 14 & 15 according to NINcatalog. But the elephant in the room here is the vinyl production supply stranglehold from the major labels.
    Is that an assumption on nincatalog's part, though, or did it come from somewhere official? That's more of what I mean - we had to make a thread on here treating the Null numbers like a big mystery to get a response from kraw. Like, of course they're 14 and 15, that's simple and easy to assume and it's certainly correct, but that's not really the point - I was highlighting how we don't get these things through the official releases any more unless it ends up on a physical product.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, most digital releases have no "official" catalogue number as a matter of industry-wide practice, one of many reasons why streaming revenue is such a nightmare of creative accounting.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Man... I'm so happy for Trent and Atticus.

I bet they're happy having a steady job with half a dozen gigs a year while working from home at their own pace, making the type of music they really enjoy, and probably making way more money doing soundtracks than they do making NIN tracks (instant payday upon delivery of tracks, with the only one judging you is the producers and directors).

It must be super stressful making NIN music that you have to heavily promote and spend money on, with not enough return on investment in the digital age, forcing them to tour places they don't want to tour, trying to please everyone with their music, from the fans down to the accounting team, and justifying why NIN sounds the way it does.

Dad Reznor is living peacefully; wishing him more time and love with family and friends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Both those scores are underrated. In fact, I think "Patriot's Day" is some of their best work ever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've come to terms that we may not see some stuff on physical release, and that's perfectly okay.

I guess I'm going to start buying FLACs and burn them on discs for myself...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    I've come to terms that we may not see some stuff on physical release, and that's perfectly okay.

I guess I'm going to start buying FLACs and burn them on discs for myself...
    been doing just that for a few years now and ocd me is finally at rest when he looks at the nin shelf!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Still a bummer to not have those scores on vinyl but I totally understand the potential roadblocks.

At the end of the day, we still HAVE the music... but I will continue to complain about Waves, Bones and All, Patriots Day, TMNT, and Empire of Light not being on vinyl in the comfort of my home to my wife

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    For any of you Spotify users, I made an all-encompassing Reznor and/or Ross score playlist, which runs a whopping 28.5 hours:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/40...c22e6e095545ed

I hadn't seen anyone else do a complete chronological list like this, so I figured I'd give it a go. I left in things like vocal and dialogue tracks, so feel free to copy it and make your own purely instrumental version if that's what you'd prefer (I may even do this later).

I think I got everything available on Spotify, and I think it's all in chronological order, but let me know if you notice anything missing! Enjoy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am excited for The Killer score. I miss Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As I listen to the Killer soundtrack, I'll pose a question I've often wondered about. Has Trent worked with a full orchestra on any of his scores (or indeed the latter Ghosts music) or is it all just keyboards? Are there photos of these sessions if so?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    As I listen to the Killer soundtrack, I'll pose a question I've often wondered about. Has Trent worked with a full orchestra on any of his scores (or indeed the latter Ghosts music) or is it all just keyboards? Are there photos of these sessions if so?
    They did for Mank, but it was all remote because of COVID.

EDIT: They also used an orchestra for Gone Girl, but there are no photos. There's a decent chance they were never/rarely in the same room as the orchestra as that would have been the job of the person doing the orchestrations and the conductor.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 11-10-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    They did for Mank, but it was all remote because of COVID.

EDIT: They also used an orchestra for Gone Girl, but there are no photos. There's a decent chance they were never/rarely in the same room as the orchestra as that would have been the job of the person doing the orchestrations and the conductor.
    Ah yes, I remember the interviews re Mank now...thanks

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    EDIT: They also used an orchestra for Gone Girl, but there are no photos.
    Here's one Trent posted on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/qNDpXgTPYv/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/qNDpXgTPYv/
    Oh, shit, that’s right! Good call!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)