Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Challengers (2024)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    30 best albums of 2024 (so far) (avclub.com)

The Challengers soundtrack isn’t just one of the best film albums of the year—it’s one of the best albums of the year, period. If you loved the sultry, pounding electronic beats of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ perfect score in the theater, here’s a pro tip from us: they serve just as hard in the real world. Whether you’re doing spreadsheets at work or deep in a decades-long love triangle out on the court, the Challengers soundtrack will undoubtedly have you saying “yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.” Here’s another tip: if you want to avoid the Dreaded iPhone Alarm at the end of the first track, queue up Challengers [MIXED] instead of the OG soundtrack. It’s a completely distraction-free ace.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Our friends over at Pitchfork posted a, what seems like a very positive review, but scored it a 7.2 for whatever reason.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...m_content=null

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Looks like the vinyl for this may have been shelved. Not seeing any new updates or info about it anymore. The hype surrounding the film has died down quite a bit so they may have just bailed on it. Hope not, though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Looks like the vinyl for this may have been shelved. Not seeing any new updates or info about it anymore. The hype surrounding the film has died down quite a bit so they may have just bailed on it. Hope not, though.
    I was just coming to check on this after seeing the old post on the Hotline. If there hasn't been any announcement from Milan, then I guess it isn't happening sadly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I was just coming to check on this after seeing the old post on the Hotline. If there hasn't been any announcement from Milan, then I guess it isn't happening sadly.

If Trent wanted any of these films to have phyical releases, they would. It's a easy stipulation to choosing to do the work in the first place. Why bother selling CDs and vinyl for $15 - $30, when you can sell T-shirts and shoes for $50 - $300. Trent's not interested is selling his music anymore. Not when he can pull in a significant higher payday with fashion cash grabs! At least the welcome stuff looked good.. The shoes look like actual dog shit. lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by All_The_Spoils View Post
    If Trent wanted any of these films to have phyical releases, they would. It's a easy stipulation to choosing to do the work in the first place. Why bother selling CDs and vinyl for $15 - $30, when you can sell T-shirts and shoes for $50 - $300. Trent's not interested is selling his music anymore. Not when he can pull in a significant higher payday with fashion cash grabs! At least the welcome stuff looked good.. The shoes look like actual dog shit. lol
    So this thread is going to turn into complaints about the Dr. Marten's collaboration too? Awesome.

Whatever fee Trent and Atticus would potentially get from sales of physical releases is probably a rounding error compared to the fee they get for their composition work in the first place. The truth is, none of us know why these scores aren't getting physical releases. I'm sure there's a reason, but clearly Trent isn't going to loop us fans into all his decision making on this, so it simply it what it is.

With regards to collaborations with other brands, I doubt he’s getting rich off those either. Looking at the Dr. Martens collaboration, the NIN boots are $30 more than the regular pairs. That is probably to cover the cost of R&D to make the collaboration happen to begin with. I really doubt Trent is receiving a substantial sum of money from each boot sold. He likely makes more money from playing one concert or from his investment portfolio in a week than he's making off some collaboration with Welcome or Dr. Martens.

I’m just tired of hearing it called a “cash grab” when all signs point to Trent Reznor being a very wealthy person who doesn’t need to peddle collaborations with other brands to make ends meet. He probably does it because he thinks it’s a cool idea that some of his fans will enjoy. I’m also sure he knows his fanbase well enough to know that the other half will complain endlessly. Whatever your opinion of the collaborations is, it bears no relevance to the release of music in physical formats.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    If Trent wanted any of these films to have phyical releases, they would.
    Anyone with a casual understanding of licensing rights knows this isn't true. ANYTHING bearing the title/branding of a movie requires the studio to sign off on it. If the studio doesn't feel the benefit of a release outweighs the cost, they won't do it. There are exceptions to this, of course, where they might allow the composer to self-release or release through a third party, but nine times out of ten, the studio is the bottleneck keeping physical releases from happening, not the composer.

If TR/AR really wanted to, I'm sure they could bake some requirements surrounding physicals releases into their contract and/or only take gigs with a guaranteed physical release, but that is super low on their priority list. They take a job scoring a movie because they want to score the movie; not so they can press a record.

Why bother selling CDs and vinyl for $15 - $30, when you can sell T-shirts and shoes for $50 - $300.
    I don't understand why you think these are mutually exclusive. It's like saying why would Target bother selling candy bars for $1 when they can sell TVs for $2,000. It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Toadflax; Today at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    If Trent wanted any of these films to have phyical releases, they would.
    Incorrect. It's not his decision to make. It's up to the studios. Some of them are all over it, some of them don't give a shit. It's just luck of the draw based on who he and Atticus are working with.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    So this thread is going to turn into complaints about the Dr. Marten's collaboration too? Awesome.
    There's this weird tendency people have to get mad at a creator for doing anything that isn't the thing they've been waiting for, as if they couldn't possibly work on two things at once. A collaboration with Doc Martens must mean they chose to do that instead of releasing their latest score on vinyl, or working on new music, or making Deviations 2, or whatever. If an artist is silent, no one says anything, but as soon as they announce like a 10% sale on their site, suddenly the comments section is full of WHERE'S THE NEW ALBUM?! as if having their marketing team click the 10% promo button and send out a post on social pushed back work on their new material by six months.

(And that's not even mentioning the sheer balls people have to think an artist owes them fucking anything in the first place.)
    Last edited by Toadflax; Yesterday at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    To drag us back to the actual point...if a physical release was either scrapped, or the info about it was bad to begin with (not meant to be accusatory), then that's a shame. I understand the economic realities of niche releases like film scores getting physical releases, particularly for independent artists, and because there are the added elements of whether or not the film studio is interested, if there are pre-existing agreements in place for how a given studio's scores might be distributed, etc., but I really do wish that we got them with more regularity. TMNT felt like a particularly brutal missed opportunity (even considering the strikes last year) given that's it, you know, TMNT.

At least we got the Boys Noize mix, which is legitimately cool and a great independent listen. Though, that just makes me want that on vinyl too, lol...

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Honestly, I feel like even if a film score album-friendly label was definitely planning a CD-only release, sent out the inventory hold for retailers etc. to have in stores, but then NIN's camp caught wind of that and said "uh, we'd really rather you roll this out with a vinyl option"... it might have Welp'd the whole thing, or pushed it back a few months.

I guess we'll see.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The Challengers score enjoyed quite a bit of release buzz that might translate into nominations come award season. Seems like that could convince the actual decision-makers to consider a physical release of some sort. I am of the opinion, and have been for a while, that TR + AR have little to no sway when it comes to that, outside a Fincher project.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I am of the opinion, and have been for a while, that TR + AR have little to no sway when it comes to that, outside a Fincher project.
    Well, The Killer didn't get a physical retail release, so even the Fincher films aren't getting them as of late.

I wish Kraw would just drop in and leave a note about all this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Anyone with a casual understanding of licensing rights knows this isn't true. ANYTHING bearing the title/branding of a movie requires the studio to sign off on it. If the studio doesn't feel the benefit of a release outweighs the cost, they won't do it. There are exceptions to this, of course, where they might allow the composer to self-release or release through a third party, but nine times out of ten, the studio is the bottleneck keeping physical releases from happening, not the composer."

"Incorrect. It's not his decision to make. It's up to the studios. Some of them are all over it, some of them don't give a shit. It's just luck of the draw based on who he and Atticus are working with. "

Incorrect. A creator of ones own content has 100% control over their art, and how/where it gets released. Trent broke away from that intellectual property bullshit long ago. He doesn't have to create anything he doesn't want to. Pretty obviously. If they want him, they would need to do it his way. It's HIS choice to half-ass the releases of all his content. Otherwise we'd be getting these soundtracks much like TS. Self released. But, as Trent has said... There's too much involved with bothering with it.

"If TR/AR really wanted to, I'm sure they could bake some requirements surrounding physicals releases into their contract and/or only take gigs with a guaranteed physical release, but that is super low on their priority list. They take a job scoring a movie because they want to score the movie; not so they can press a record."

As Toadflax says... It's just not a priority to release physical releases any more. There's just not enough money in it to work it into the contract, so why bother.

"I’m just tired of hearing it called a “cash grab” when all signs point to Trent Reznor being a very wealthy person who doesn’t need to peddle collaborations with other brands to make ends meet. He probably does it because he thinks it’s a cool idea that some of his fans will enjoy. I’m also sure he knows his fanbase well enough to know that the other half will complain endlessly. Whatever your opinion of the collaborations is, it bears no relevance to the release of music in physical formats."

Trollmanen, while I normally prescribe to your perspective, I think you have this wrong. Trent's changed from the guy that was telling everyone to steal his music in the 00s to the guy selling $$62 (with S&H) T-Shirts and doing "limited edition" fake outs. (Remember when the beach towel and umbrella said they where limited edition, and they sold so well they just said forget that, we'll just mass produce them? lol) There is also a classism to all this that Trent intentionally plays into. Much like Taylor Swift, (XD giggles and this amount hysteria and backlash that name will cause) Trent has begone pushing this limited edition collectors bullshit, one after another, each getting more expensive then the last, and now with $300 price tags. As you said. Trent is a wealthy guy. Forbes has him worth nearly 100 million dollars. If it isn't about money, then why $62 T-shirts and $300 shoes... While the music... you know, the stuff that is actually his art, doesn't get enough priority to even get a physical release. It's about the money. Don't kid yourselves. Trent is in my opinion one of the most talented musicians in the history of the world. And I've spent my lifetime collecting his entire works. But money changes people. How much is enough? How much money would it take to inspire any of you to do your art for free? How much money do you need before you can feel safe? One-hundred million dollars and still following the profitable path... The answer is... It's never enough. For most people it's never enough...

And I expect the typical ETS radicals to lose their minds and go on a head hunting campaign for talking about ideals like enlightened behavior, and that's fine... I know, I've spoken heresy against the god. lol That cognitive dissonance is strong in the fandom world. So feel free... Put my head on a pike... lol Some one once told me, "You know, just because your right, it doesn't mean they have to like you for it".