Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: El-P

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Also, it may have one of the most depressing album covers ever made. The angel-bird thing from the cover of ISWYD, which he uses as a logo (and, according to Wikipedia, is based on a drawing artist Alexander Calder made on a wooden toy airplane for El-P as a child), is now broken and thrown away. This could be interpreted as childhood dreams being destroyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The album is brilliant. I am continually blown away by it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Only kinda related to El since I know they were friends for so long. Anybody know why Aesop Rock isn't on Def Jux anymore? Even Aesop's Hail Mary Mallon and concert cohort Rob Sonic is listed on the roster but Aesop isn't. I know Def Jux is El's label that he runs. Did they have a falling out or anything?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Def Jux is now defunct. El-P's new album is on Fat Possum records.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is an AMAZING album. I imagine at some point I'll get tired of listening to CFC...or my wife will throw the damn cd out the car window. Sign Here is my fav cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Long, long time fan of El-P here and since I picked this up the day it was released I haven't been able to put together the words on how I felt for the able even after many (a fucking ton) of listens.

When I first listened to it I was kind of disappointed and thought it would kill my thoughts on a producer and, in my opinion, icon among the hip-hop community but then I gave it a few more spins and the liveliness of each track just blew my mind.

I think this is the best album he's ever done, easily, and tracks like Oh Hail No/Tougher Colder solidify El as one of the unpredictable and best artists in the music industry right now. The instrumentals are fantastic, I can't get enough of it. From start to finish this is a flawless album in my opinion.

Anyhow, I'd definitely say that this is probably one of the best albums I've heard in a really long time as far as originality, production, and just over-all fun. I'm especially psyched to hear Killer Mike's new album now because I hope it's just as fun and ground-breaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, it's pretty amazing. The last album that caught my attention this much was Take Care.
    Plus, we can expect the new Aesop Rock soon which looks very promising as well:

and hopefully the Cage too. Def Jux FTW!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    The aforementioned Killer Mike album produced by El-P is now streaming here.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    ...and it's great.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    El-P talks about the inspiration behind each track on his new record: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/fea...ls_cancer4cure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    R.A.P. Music is just sick. Mike sounds like vintage Ice Cube on 'Don't Die', and El's beats are blowing me away.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So... El-P is booked to play @ San Miguel Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona the day after I graduate. Sounds like I'm partying with spaniards/catalans and El Producto instead of my class mates.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Both Killer Mike's and El-P's albums are seriously dope.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Can't think of another artist who's successfully produced their own album as well as another artist's and released them both so close together, not for years anyway. Shades of Year Zero/NiggyTardust!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to take anything away from TR but I think it's even more-so impressive from El considering these tracks are all originals and Niggy Tardust (while being an amazing album) were a lot of TF tracks that were then reconstructed by Saul and co.

I hold him to such a high regard considering his entire career has been consistently innovative on top of an unparalleled amount of new material. When he wasn't creating his own solo albums he's producing albums/tracks and being featured on some really big projects (Aesop Rock, Cage, Mr. Lif, Das Racist to name a few).

Anyhow, the new Killer Mike album is extraordinary and I was really looking forward to something of this stature as I'd been a long time fan of Killer Mike and pretty much anyone associated with Goodie Mob-era southern hip-hop. Cancer For Cure is probably the greatest album from El to date, arguably better than Funcrusher from every angle. The instrumentals are often times mind-blowing and the pace of the album is incredible, compared to some of the sluggish moments in his last release (although, I always thought Habeas Corpses/Poisenville were some of the more exciting songs on ISWYD, I guess I can agree when people say it slowed down an album that was otherwise quicker and sinister). The lyrical content was right up there as usual and he's really been improving in even just the last year. I always felt that he was too underappreciated as a writer but he never disappoints (granted I'm a long-time fan and probably a huge gay fanboy). Not much else I can think to say, I just look forward to anything and everything else he does and even if, god willing, it all flops into shit, he'd remain to have one of the most creative and ground-breaking careers of all the artists out there.

Edit: Also, I just wanted to mention that I was really impressed that the Killer Mike album feeling like a bit of a departure from El-P's normal tone while still maintaining what makes his instrumentals so familiar. When I first heard the singles that were released I thought it was pretty obvious with El's involvement, however the whole album holds a great feel for Killer Mike separately from C4C's tone.
    Last edited by spegettiwestern; 05-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    El triumphs on The Late Show! That sounded fucking terrific.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am so looking forward to spending some serious time listening to R.A.P. Music in the next week. I've been torturing myself with "Southern Fried" and can't wait to duke it out with the whole LP. I remember putting on Pledge late last year, after having had very little exposure to Killer Mike beyond his features on other artists' songs and first thinking, "Hey, it's awesome that he sampled Ric Flair", and then thinking, "HOLY FUCK this guy can spit."

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    killer mike's album is indeed fun

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    You know that moment when you realize that T.I. is rapping over an EL P beat on an official release?

R.A.P. music is awesome.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

el-p -- cancer for cure

this album is fucking amazing; everyone should be checking it out. el-p, if you'll recall, did a pretty sweet Only remix, and TR later guested on "Flyentology", from El-P's last album. (El-P seems to work on Reznor-esque timelines, since that album dropped in 2007.)

EDIT: Sorry for clogging the board! Moving my comment over to the proper forum.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 05-22-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Thanks, been having spotty problems with the search function.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Just wanted to chime in after having egg on my face for starting an unnecessary thread -- C4C is mindblowingly good. I'm speculating HTDA isn't coming out yet because they need to up their game...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Love the new album. Drones Over Bklyn has been playing all day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

D'Angelo/neosoul

Years down the line I am still kicking myself for not liking this music when it was current. GQ has published a stellar profile of the comeback kid D'Angelo, and posted a video of him wailing on the guitar, which can be viewed below. The best quote in the whole piece comes from ?uestlove, who states that "The one benefit of this eleven-year sabbatical was he used 10,000 Gladwellian hours to master the guitar. He can play the shit out of it, and I don't mean no Lil Wayne shit." True. If you've not spent some time with D, Erykah, and the rest of the neosoul canon, it's time to feast up.

http://www.gq.com/video/videos/dangelo-video

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ah, damn. Wrong forum, derp. If a helpful moderator could move this bad boy over to TMR, I'd be everso grateful.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I can't get enough of true story.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    el-p @ santos on monday melted my face. cancer 4 cure front to back with every guest except for danny brown : (

i was front and center and this will be a hard concert to top for the rest of 2012

edit: and get tix for his new run of shows, you won't regret it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCMD View Post
    el-p @ santos on monday melted my face. cancer 4 cure front to back with every guest except for danny brown : (
    Sounds awesome. Love it when an album is performed live in its entirety. Did somebody else perform the Danny parts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Sounds awesome. Love it when an album is performed live in its entirety. Did somebody else perform the Danny parts?
    nah, but they played through the instrumental with a back and forth with the crowd.

lots of good footage of the show on youtube. a bunch of it here:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/video...p-trailer.html