Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Stone Temple Pilots

Suddenly I feel sick...

Either way, this band deserves it's own thread.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I saw them last night at BFD and I was surprised that it was actually pretty good! Chester's vocals were much better than the video above, maybe he had a louder backing track this time around, and my distance from the stage changed things, heh. But I was very surprised and had anticipated that it would be shit and he does a great Scott Weiland vocal impersonation, which is really what he's doing in this band at this point.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Chester Bennington is ok, sounds like a lighty minuscule decent Weiland impersonator. Still doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. Hopefully this was a one off thing, if not then I'd be severely upset. Which is odd because I'm not an STP super fan.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-20-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm no hardcore STP fan. But, they're a band that i've enjoyed for years. And to see them replace Weiland with the guy from Linkin Park is just a mindfuck. Weiland always comes back though. So it's probably temporary, even though, i'm sure they intend for it to be "permanent".

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I can understand a band wanting to go on and such, but that guy?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Why are they still calling it STP? Couldn't they go back to that other lame band they once called Talk Show? Remember that band people?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    STP will obviously always have a legacy with Scott Weiland but with that being said I too am not the biggest fan of these guys to start with but as a fan of Chester it's interesting for me to hear him over some different music for a change and i have a feeling this would turn out to be a lot better than his Dead By Sunrise record.

I like the new track they released. Again I'm not the biggest STP fan so it doesn't really rub me in offensive ways as I'm sure it is for the more loyal fans.....

Just taking a look at the comment feeds of recent posts on their Facebook just tells me i would not be wanting to be these guys right about now.

To preserve the legacy you'd think they'd at least have some respect and change the name, not to go too off topic but there really seems to be something in the air though as i just read a post from System of a Down or rather one of the respective members recently about wanting to ditch Serj.

In the case of STP though, they could have done much worse.... i mean it could have been Scott Stapp :P

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I can understand a band wanting to go on and such, but that guy?
    Because he's a fucking badass, man.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Scott and the guys really need to hang up the whole STP thing if they're not together and just do their own material separately. I think it's stupid that Scott is touring and playing STP music and Eric and the DeLeo brothers are touring with STP music as well. Just create new material outside of the STP name!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm very excited to see how this goes. The new song is amazing, Chester is a perfect fit for this band.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Stone Temple Park.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Scott and the guys really need to hang up the whole STP thing if they're not together and just do their own material separately. I think it's stupid that Scott is touring and playing STP music and Eric and the DeLeo brothers are touring with STP music as well. Just create new material outside of the STP name!
    It's all about the money. The Deleo's tried two different STP clones in the past (Talk Show, Army of Anyone) and I think both albums bombed. The STP name at least gives them the 90's nostalgia factor that still sells tickets and CD's.

As for Scott, I guess he'll try to sue them...then send some drunken calls to Slash's voicemail, begging for a Velvet Revolver reunion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My friend told me that the main reason why they chose chester is probably because he was a big STP fan when growing up, so apparently this is a dream come true for him.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I have to say that I get a real kick out of the latter STP and especially Scott's antics during that phase before their self titled and while he was with Velvet Revolver. Chester is a surprisingly good replacement and I like the new song, but still, there is a bitter taste when I see the promo photos and him bascially doing a bland imitation of Weiland style and vocal wise. He pulls it off quite well, but they should move on and get a new band going rather than cash grabbing everything they can get with the STP-name.

Here's still hoping to see Scott reunite or even tour with Velvet Revolver again. I'm dying to see either of them live for the first time.

Off to listen to no.4 and shangri-la dee da

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't really give two fucks about STP, but....

They have made music outside the STP name, as has been mentioned, and it bombed. They're trying to keep the appeal of the name plus go for "singer from X popular band joins Y popular band" to get a bit of publicity for their new material, which at the very least sounds better than Scott Weiland's Christmas album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    My friend told me that the main reason why they chose chester is probably because he was a big STP fan when growing up, so apparently this is a dream come true for him.
    How come I never became the lead singer of Nine Inch Nails or A Perfect Circle then?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    their new material, which at the very least sounds better than Scott Weiland's Christmas album.
    Oh no you don't.

Possibly one of the creepiest things ever, intentional or no. Sheer, perverse awesomeness.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 05-23-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Weiland's Bowie-esque crooning on his Christmas album wasn't too bad, but it was definitely the most random release of the year (I'm pretty sure Grandma would appreciate Michael Buble's X-mas album over Weiland's as a stocking-stuffer)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Stone Temple Pilots

That's the first seen or heard of that. Wow... Haircut and everything.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He's suing then too, apparently.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Apparently a big no-no to use the STP name without the four original members present. Hiring Bennington, calling it STP, and letting him mimic Scott is an obvious "fuck you". If the legal stuff Scott says is infact true, this new STP might be very short lived.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I read Scott's Facebook post and he's got a point. It's really about money as far as what is happening and Scott Weiland isn't calling himself STP when he's doing a solo thing.

It's a shame that STP is now becoming another band. A band where you know there's maybe one or 2 original members in that band plus a bunch of hired guns. Art Alexakis has reformed Everclear but w/o the guys who helped made that band famous. In Foreigner, it's just Mick Jones and a bunch of other dudes including the bassist from Dokken. In Journey, it's just three guys from the classic line-up plus the drummer they've had for 15 years and some other dude. In Styx, it's just the two guitarists from the band, a couple of guys who had been around for more than a decade, and the bass player from the Babys.

It's pretty ridiculous. It's like watching a fucking cover band and paying a lot of money. Who wants to do that?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    In Foreigner, it's just Mick Jones and a bunch of other dudes including the bassist from Dokken. In Journey, it's just three guys from the classic line-up plus the drummer they've had for 15 years and some other dude.
    FWIW, Lou Gramm might be coming back.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I read Scott's Facebook post and he's got a point. It's really about money as far as what is happening and Scott Weiland isn't calling himself STP when he's doing a solo thing.
    It seems a little more complicated than that. Apparently STP (w/ Scott) were prepared to do a tour to celebrate the anniversary of Core, and play the entire album front to back. However, Scott didn't have the vocal range to do some of the songs anymore. When his bandmates stated this to Scott, he couldn't take the criticism and decided to do a Core anniversary tour by himself, leaving the rest of the band holding their dicks.

Technically, it's Scott that fucked over the rest of the band, not the other way around. They were even prepared to do a 'Greatest Hits' tour after they found out Scott couldn't perform all of Core, but Weiland's ego stood in the way. They were left with two choices: do a shitty Core anniversary tour with Scott or kick him out and find somebody willing to tour - of course, they chose the latter.

Yes, it was all about money. But Weiland had obligations he decided not to fulfill and the rest of the band weren't going to nix their tour because of his ego. They should still be able to use the STP name if a single bandmember doesn't hold up their end of the bargain. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Eric Kretz was fired and replaced for the same reasons as Weiland's ousting - just because Scott is the frontman doesn't give him the right to halt a tour and cost the rest of the band money.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It all depends on what legal agreements they've made as a band. If they signed something that says they can't play or release material under certain circumstances, then they simply can't unless they settle. And there's always two sides to a story. But this isn't the first time he's been booted from the band.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Its really not hard to sing STP. Dudes at karaoke bars can nail it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They had some nice songs, but David Spade pretty much sealed their fate on "Weekend Update".

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    FWIW, Lou Gramm might be coming back.
    No, he's too sick and couldn't carry a tune these days.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No, he's too sick and couldn't carry a tune these days.
    Apparently not too sick, for one show at least.