Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: El-P

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I may be entirely alone in this sentiment but I've come to realize I find the Run the Jewels duo extremely annoying and the music doesn't really back anything up for me either. I was heavily bored with their first two records and it's a shame cause I adore El-P's solo work.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't know how you can like his solo work and NOT like Run The Jewels, but that's just me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I may be entirely alone in this sentiment but I've come to realize I find the Run the Jewels duo extremely annoying and the music doesn't really back anything up for me either. I was heavily bored with their first two records and it's a shame cause I adore El-P's solo work.
    thank you, feel totally the same way

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't know how you can like his solo work and NOT like Run The Jewels, but that's just me.
    I think it's Mike. I wasn't a fan of his El-P produced album that came out in 2012 and I only really enjoy his guest verses. Mike has good flow and the production is always solid for Run the Jewels material but nothing really clicks with me and I find myself forcing myself to listen to this because it's something I SHOULD be into. Maybe it's their demeanor? They seem like they'd be cool guys to be around, but there's something that just doesn't connect with me as a fan. Plus I find the "fuck boy" thing super played out and lame coming from dudes in their 40's.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Finally music outlets are reporting on it. I know looking at the comments section of any website is toxic, but geez, the comments on this story are just mean
    Gotta love the "look at all the white people!" comments. It's a festival in Texas.... what exactly were you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Plus I find the "fuck boy" thing super played out and lame coming from dudes in their 40's.
    I don't know... when people screw with your performance on any level in any way it might not elicit the most carefully thought-out response. Your adrenaline is already going because you're performing, then someone attacks you? At that point, delivering any kind of coherent message conveying how pissed you are is a pretty tall order.

And maybe it's just me but I've never heard the expression "fuck boy" before this incident. What's the nature of the insult?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-17-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't know... when people screw with your performance on any level in any way it might not elicit the most carefully thought-out response. Your adrenaline is already going because you're performing, then someone attacks you? At that point, delivering any kind of coherent message conveying how pissed you are is a pretty tall order.

And maybe it's just me but I've never heard the expression "fuck boy" before this incident. What's the nature of the insult?
    Oh it's a common thing that they say either in the shows or in their lyrics. I could be incorrect on it being in one of their songs, but I KNOW that it's a common insult they like to throw at people. It's usually in like "herr herr you're a fuck boy" kind of things, but the two of them usually come across childish when they say it. You're right, when something like a fan jumping on stage and possibly making Mike act on instinct and having him hurt his shoulder occurs, it's natural to just jump into your first emotion...but then he keeps repeating it over and over and over and over again to the point to where the crowd jumps in. I'm not defending the guy that jumped on stage, he had no business being there...but it's just that the phrase always seems to rub me the wrong way.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "Meowrly."

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...-jewels-album/

I've only listened to the first episode of their new Beats1 radio show thing, but it seems like exactly what I wanted - Just El and Mike and other people just fuckin' around and playing music for an hour.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    It's been a while since I listened to Cancer for Cure (I had probably listened to it like 100 times when it first came out), so I listened to the instrumental edition yesterday. It still blows my fucking mind. Afterwards, I re-listened to the instrumentals for R.A.P. Music and RTJ1+2 and, strangely, they didn't hit me as hard this time; maybe because I've spun them more recently and they're fresher in my mind, but, still, C4C has a level of musical depth and complexity that El-P hasn't reached since. I mean, in his , he said that he worked on the record for five years ("Drones Over BKLYN" has been on Adult Swim's YouTube since 2009). Of course, the stuff he makes with Killer Mike are far more fun, simple, straightforward and banging, and he stated in the RTJ AMA that he's so happy with Run the Jewels creatively that he doesn't feel the need to make another solo album. And, if this is the case (further illustrated by the broken bird logo on the cover), C4C was a hell of a way for El's solo career to go. And I can't fucking wait for RTJ3 and whatever else these crazies have in store.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And maybe it's just me but I've never heard the expression "fuck boy" before this incident.
    My friend calls his cat Fuck Boy, never by his actual name (Elvis). I wanted to contribute to this matter somehow. That's all.

\\

El-P is good. I gotta check out Run The Jewels proper.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Cool

lots of RtJ info out there...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/run-the...j3-share-song/

new album:

It comes out digitally on January 13 and physically on January 20, and it will include guest spots from Danny Brown, Kamasi Washington, Tunde Adebimpe (of TV on the Radio), and more. Along with the announcement comes another new single, “Legend Has It,” which has the duo sounding as charged up as they always do. The anticipation for RTJ3 remains high.

Tracklist
    1. Down (feat. Joi Gilliam)
    2. Talk To Me
    3. Legend Has It
    4. Call Ticketron
    5. Hey Kids (Bumaye) (feat. Danny Brown)
    6. Stay Gold
    7. Don’t Get Captured
    8. Thieves! (Screamed the Ghost) (feat. Tunde Adebimpe)
    9. 2100 (feat. BOOTS)
    10. Panther Like a Panther (Miracle Mix) (feat. Trina)
    11. Everybody Stay Calm
    12. Oh Mama
    13. Thursday in the Danger Room (feat. Kamasi Washington)
    14. Report to the Shareholders/Kill Your Masters
    some tracks:

This game trailer used alot of Panther Like a Panther:

And let's not forget this non-RtJ3 gem from the newest Shadow record:

2017 tour:

They're also playing:

Day For Night Fest in Houston 12/17-12/18
    Snowbombing Fest in Austria 4/3-4/8
    Primavera Sound 2017 (ridiculous lineup as usual) 5/30-6/6
    Northside Fest in Denmark 6/9

I'd expect to see them on a shitload more festival shit later on too

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    There is no "Back" song this time, like Twin Hype Back and Love Again (Akinyele Back).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    They just released the new Run The Jewels album early. Looks like the traffic crashed their site though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    apple sucks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Album of the year.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    apple sucks
    Go with Tidal HiFi for lossless, B

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    On first listen, not in love with this yet past the songs I knew already. Annoyed that they wasted that dope beat on another fucking dumb song with Trina. I'll clearly need more time with this before deciding anything.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    There's some good tracks on there (Thursday In The Danger Room damn near made me cry, especially after the year I've had), but it didn't kick my ass like the first two albums did. I think there's too many guests this time around, and they don't feel like they blend into the material as well as previous guests have. I also think the production wasn't as good as the first album. Still a nice Christmas present, but it probably won't get as much play as the previous albums.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    With this album I've noticed I'm not really into RTJ. I've been a fan of EL-P's for years and I still think he's one of the best hiphop producers out there, but those RTJ endeavors seem a bit too one-note for my taste. Either they're talking a lot of bullshit in their raps delivering pun after pun, or they're "saying something", which of course is not a problem, but with them it always tends to tap into the melodramatic realms. No room for subtlety here.
    Also, I can't decide if the holocaust-line by Mike (on 2100 I believe) is downplaying, exaggerating or just plain stupid. It's probably all three.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    El-P isn't bad and I like some solo stuff so I went to the website and downloaded all the RTJ stuff + Meow remix album. I listened to the first album, it's not bad really. I'll check out the rest later.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    And I refuse to kill another human being in the name of a government.

Can't stop listening to it. It's a different beast than the other two, with a much deeper, at times more difficult sound. Also, I read that El is interested in making an ambient synth album in the vein of Brian Eno. Please do, El.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    And I refuse to kill another human being in the name of a government.

Can't stop listening to it. It's a different beast than the other two, with a much deeper, at times more difficult sound. Also, I read that El is interested in making an ambient synth album in the vein of Brian Eno. Please do, El.
    I can actually see him doing something like that since he hasn't done another, were going to burn in hell megamix. Something akin to that has long been over due.
    I really hope that El-P does another megamix, a synth album, or another Solo album.
    Either way he is super busy with the Zach De la Rocha album that comes out next year and touring with Run the Jewels.
    As a side note, I hope he does another collaboration of some kind with Aesop Rock. From what I remember, ever since Camu Tao died he hasn't done anything with him, I could be wrong though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    You're right. Him and Aesop don't seem to be on speaking terms since Camu died and El dissolved Def Jux. Something must have happened there.
    Aesop assembled his own "RTJ" tho... together with Rob Sonic, who's also a former Def Jukie. They call themselves Hail Mary Mallon and released two albums already, which are fun.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Legend Has It + Call Ticketron is the one-two punch that wrecked me. Terrific stuff. And Mike has a verse on Oh Mama that is one of the most hilarious things I've heard all year. Play this shit loud, on a nice soundsystem.

I was listening to the SXSW 2015 concert on Spotify (with that incident edited out) and El-P at one point described himself as a "bad stand-up comedian posing as a rapper". I, too, kind of miss the serious, depressed El-P that made the masterpieces ISWYD and C4C. And I get that some people have gotten tired of their punny, over-the-top, intentionally ridiculous schtick, but I'm glad that RTJ are having so much fun, and that they've become commercially successful because of that. RTJ is big, stupid fun, and even their serious tracks have a cartoony feel to them. And I love that they keep doing their own thing, without sticking to whatever is the new musical trend. Even the Trina song, which does have some trap-ish hi-hats, could not possibly be described as a "trap song". I cannot wait for RTJ4. And RTJ5... and 6...

Oh, and 2100 is the sequel to Year Zero. There.
    Last edited by wizfan; 12-29-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    You're right. Him and Aesop don't seem to be on speaking terms since Camu died and El dissolved Def Jux. Something must have happened there.
    The weird thing is, Def Jux still seems to exist in some legal sense. It is listed as a "publisher" on the RTJ3 credits.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I only got to sit down and listen to this album once all the way through, but it didn't grab me like the others. I dunno, just hasn't connected with me yet. It could be a grower though, guess we will see. RTJ2 remains my favorite, followed by their debut.

I'd love to see RTJ collaborate with glitch hop duo Lazer Sword on something

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    the beats for the first Can Ox record are my favorite thing El-P has ever done. And I took my IG name (bronxtalebliss) from this song. Shame the 3 of them could never get their shit together & recapture the magic. Cold Vein is an all-time classic underground hip hop record & one of the crown jewels for El-P. Perfect album to listen to while walking & taking the train around a cold NYC winter.