Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Meathead Perspective 2022

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    "Copy of a - The first track on the album that sounds like it was recorded on purpose..."

<skull emoj> lol

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Seven Larrys means it's so fucking brilliant that Mark Nicholas Onofrio must have written it.
    I had to Google who Mark Nicholas Onofrio is. Brilliant.
    Last edited by imail724; 10-12-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Hey, come on, Meathead. Picnic of Love had one of the best album covers of all time. Bad Meathead. Bad.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Imagine saying Running is the worst track on HM when Satellite is RIGHT THERE.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Imagine saying Running is the worst track on HM when Satellite is RIGHT THERE.
    That beat on Satellite slaps tho.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Glad he agrees “Running” is the worst and “In Two” rules. Happy we agree on the important items even though “Satellite” (the ending absolutely rocks) and “VMOE” kick ass too.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-12-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My rankings, more or less, are:

Absolutely Love

All Time Low, Everything, In Two, Satellite, Copy of A, While I'm Still Here

Like a Lot

Came Back Haunted, Find My Way, Various Methods of Escape, Running

Like Okay

Disappointed, I Would For You

I like the intro/outro tracks a lot, too. I just didn't feel they needed to be listed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My biggest gripe with HM is that it (for the most part) lacks any bite. Live though, almost every song is much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love: I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape, Copy of A, Came Back Haunted, In Two

Like a lot: Find My Way, All Time Low, Everything, Satellite, Black Noise

Meh: Eater of Dreams, Disappointed, While I'm Still Here

Terrible: Running

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I popped this on during my drive into the city today. I gotta say, it holds up well. No skips for me. I've grown to enjoy Everything and while Disappointed and Running are probably my least favorite tracks they aren't terrible either. Solid album IMO.

* 5 and a quarter Other Darryls

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prick View Post
    Live though, almost every song is much better.
    Interestingly, I was going to put Copy of A in the middle section, partially because I'm a bit bored of hearing it live. But then when I put on the studio version while making my list, I remembered how much I liked it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger_Stealth View Post
    Terrible: Running
    Super curious why some people dislike Running so much. It's such a normal song to me that it's hard to imagine anyone really loving it or really hating it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hearing Disappointed live and comparing it to the album version made it a no-brainer. Same with In Two and Came Back Haunted. They're just punchier and a little more interesting.

Relistening to Copy Of A and comparing it, I'm not sure which I like more. It is one of my fav songs, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it to fade out and be replaced. I think I like both versions equally.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    If we're going down the studio v's live route then Copy Of A, infinately better live.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    My biggest gripe with HM is that it (for the most part) lacks any bite. Live though, almost every song is much better.
    That's why we needed the Tension DVD/Blu-ray.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    the HM review was fun but i gotta be honest it'll be tough to read meathead make fun of NTAE or bad witch. yes we can all make WT and HM jokes but the bookends of the trilogy are literal perfect albums, NIN at their most daring and original since TDS/the fragile, I WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE TEASING

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    the HM review was fun but i gotta be honest it'll be tough to read meathead make fun of NTAE or bad witch. yes we can all make WT and HM jokes but the bookends of the trilogy are literal perfect albums, NIN at their most daring and original since TDS/the fragile, I WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE TEASING
    Add Violence: "This Isn't The Place (for this song)"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I agree, I have such a soft spot for NTAE that I'm going to get immediately triggered at any poking fun at it lol.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I agree, I have such a soft spot for NTAE that I'm going to get immediately triggered at any poking fun at it lol.
    She's Gone Away:

"I wish this song would go away."

"Reptile 2.0. Come on, Tront."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Super curious why some people dislike Running so much. It's such a normal song to me that it's hard to imagine anyone really loving it or really hating it.
    It's weird because the very beginning of the song is promising with the cool sounding bass and percussion intro, but then it just gets worse and worse. I hate the filter/vocal effect that Trent is using. The "right behind, so inclined etc" part is really annoying to me for some reason. All of the synths/pads are ugly in a not interesting way. The lyrics aren't particularly good. I really enjoy Hesitation Marks as a whole, it's probably a 9.5/10 for me but Running just really sticks out in a bad way. Your opinion isn't wrong at all. For the record I think Trent and Atticuss' top 100 songs are all at least really great.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    All Time Low might be my least fav nin song ever. Though you know what, I agree Everything > Running.
    All Time Low > Everything > Running

All Time Low is so much better than Running it's not even funny. How can you resist that funky bass line? As for Running, I'd give that song two Larrys, three Darryls, and three Other Darryls. In all honestly, though, I don't actually dislike anything on Hesitation Marks. For some reason, this time of year always makes me want to listen to this album.

My rankings are as follows:

Absolutely Love
    Various Methods of Escape, In Two, All Time Low, Satellite, I Would For You

Like a Lot
    Copy of A, Find My Way, Came Back Haunted, Everything, While I'm Still Here

Okay

Disappointed, Running (these two tracks kinda occupy the same "musical space" to me)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    How can you resist that funky bass line?
    I think it's mostly a case of one of those times when there's a song in your playlist, you hear it and go "ugh fuck this" and skip. I'm very familiar with the first 30-60 seconds of ATL, but it's just so hard to sit through that intro. I hate that funky dinky guitar and trent's "goUUUU... ahve hurd- all I need- to- knouuuuwww". It just immediatly makes me want to turn the song off. Earlier, I was listening to HM on vinyl to throughly reassess the album and was displeased to see I'd have to ATL listen to it to hear my two faves on one side (Dissapointed and Everything). But, while Trent chattered away in the background, I found myself kind of enjoying the song. There's parts I like, and parts I DON'T, but overall I think I'd rather hear it than anything by Peirce the Veil or Creed. The problem with being a megafan and ranking stuff is perspective. Everything that TR has touched is at least gold plated silver, if not gold compared to most radio play.

Running, to me is just a solid fucking track. I like the humming, the synths, the drums, all of it. I get why Dissappinted and Running tend to share the same sort of sonic bedroom, but I happen to like that bedroom a lot!
    Last edited by Prick; 10-12-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Running" is great, thanks Meathead, lol

Also: Fuckin' lol at the comparison with Prince in "All Time Low".
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-13-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's weird because the very beginning of the song is promising with the cool sounding bass and percussion intro, but then it just gets worse and worse. I hate the filter/vocal effect that Trent is using. The "right behind, so inclined etc" part is really annoying to me for some reason. All of the synths/pads are ugly in a not interesting way.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Listening back before writing my previous post, I did notice a messiness to the layers. It's a messiness I've always been fine with, but it made it a little more clear to me how it could irk other people.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    trent's "goUUUU... ahve hurd- all I need- to- knouuuuwww".
    Yeah, interesting. I've always disliked the Trent talky/rappy stuff like in the breakdown of THTF ("will you BITE the hand that FEEEDS you") or the verses of Head Down ("you! whatcha lookin' at?), but it's never bothered me in the slightest in All Time Low. Maybe it's because it feels like it matches the funkiness of the song, so it feels appropriate, while in the other examples I mentioned, it feels out of place. Not sure. Opinions are weird.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is a hot take, but the Cold Cave remix of Running > the album version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I recently befriended a massive Sopranos fan and recommended to him the highly underrated movie The Mighty, starring Kieran Culkin, Elden Henson* and Sharon Stone. James Gandolfini is fucking terrifying in this movie.

I've also seen his final role, Enough Said, also starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and directed by Indie Filmmaker** Nicole Holofcener. He was such a fucking versatile actor; you wouldn't believe that the same actor who played the most iconic mobster in television history would be able to play the loveable huggy bear in a romantic comedy so effortlessly.

*You probably remember Henson from The Mighty Ducks, but did you know he was also Foggy in Netflix's Daredevil?
    **BoJack Horseman fans will understand why I capitalized those two words.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I recently befriended a massive Sopranos fan and recommended to him the highly underrated movie The Mighty
    Wrong thread?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Wrong thread?
    r/whoosh. Go read Meathead's Hesitation Marks review again, then you'll get it.