Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2022.09.18 Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2022.09.18 Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Photo: @esdhin on Discord

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Very good performance, similar set to Primavera though we got to hear "Sanctified", "Shit Mirror", and "Even Deeper" as an encore!!!

TR had a couple of mishaps including falling over in "Piggy", plus a busted guitar in "Burn" (which resulted in it getting the smackdown) and another one being launched airborne at the end of "HLAH". It was a rowdy pit, lots of crowd surfers (which was a continuation of the whole weekend really). Glad I made the trip down and hung out at the rail, Yeah Yeah Yeahs were also terrific as was Sleater-Kinney. And how about Zola Jesus! Sheeeeeit.

Until next time Chi-town!
    Last edited by botley; 09-19-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm glad I made it to this show. I arrived really late and thought I wasn't going to make it. Looking forward to the next show I'm going to in Cleveland and the Q&A.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, Sleater-Kinney fucking DESTROYED. Granted, this was my first time seeing them live but they stole the show for me. Was hoping for some sort of surprise with the setlist but I'd do well to remind myself it's a festival. The energy was supernatural. I was on the right side of the soundboard throughout, solid position if not for the few people taller than myself, who also filmed minutes of the show (people: Unless you're a taper, take a few second of your favorite part and put the phone down!).

Was really certain they'd have done Immigrant Song...given Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but oh well. Side note: Parking at the Juvenile Detention Center is now the way, not that I think I'll ever go to Riot again.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed Riot Fest 2017, it was NIN's best setlist of that tour and I thought the festival was overall really pleasant with a fun and varied lineup.

But the atmosphere was really tense this year. With the local community protesting the festival, with the MCR shitshow that took place two days earlier, with just the massive crowd, something felt off.
    I had just had the very best festival experience at Primavera the day before, with the sound being amazingly good (better than most headline shows), and Riot Fest felt off.

Haven't seen anybody mention this much, but other than falling down and getting tripped up in his mic cable a few times, Trent seemed to really struggle hearing himself. He would constantly plucked chords he usually don't play on his guitar to make sure he had the right pitch, or he would hit a few piano notes. Honestly his singing was still great but I guess the conditions might not have been perfect on stage and maybe he felt insecure. But anyway, I felt like that transpired in the performance overall.

Setlist was still awesome and the band still seemed impressed with the size of the crowd. But far the biggest crowd this tour, no question.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    I really enjoyed Riot Fest 2017, it was NIN's best setlist of that tour and I thought the festival was overall really pleasant with a fun and varied lineup.

But the atmosphere was really tense this year. With the local community protesting the festival, with the MCR shitshow that took place two days earlier, with just the massive crowd, something felt off.
    I had just had the very best festival experience at Primavera the day before, with the sound being amazingly good (better than most headline shows), and Riot Fest felt off.

Haven't seen anybody mention this much, but other than falling down and getting tripped up in his mic cable a few times, Trent seemed to really struggle hearing himself. He would constantly plucked chords he usually don't play on his guitar to make sure he had the right pitch, or he would hit a few piano notes. Honestly his singing was still great but I guess the conditions might not have been perfect on stage and maybe he felt insecure. But anyway, I felt like that transpired in the performance overall.

Setlist was still awesome and the band still seemed impressed with the size of the crowd. But far the biggest crowd this tour, no question.
    If I follow this right, you were at Primavera in LA Friday, then flew to Chicago, just like the band, Saturday to catch them at Riot Fest?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    If I follow this right, you were at Primavera in LA Friday, then flew to Chicago, just like the band, Saturday to catch them at Riot Fest?
    What's wrong with that?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    nothing's wrong with it at all. You're hardcore.