Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I guess I'll just wait for march when the game is out which isn't too much to wait.
    They'll have more beta stress tests. I'd expect them to keep increasing the population and server load leading up to the launch.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so... um... anyone who downloaded this actually able to get it to work? The stress test is only supposed to go for three hours, and so far, twenty minutes in, and this hasn't been working for me

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    From facebook
    Here's the latest about the Network Test. It's not happening for anyone in North or South America tonight (or this morning). Welp, give me some credit! I tried for you all! Looks like it will be rescheduled for us Americans. Here's the news: From Namco Bandai Twitter: "Attention Dark Souls II Testers! It seems that North and South American players will not be able to log into the servers for this test. We thoroughly apologize for all of the confusion and issues. We will be rescheduling the Network Test for another date. We know this is quite disheartening and we thank everyone for their enthusiasm."
    Because of today's issues, Fromsoft has scheduled a 4th test session on Nov 10 from 4pm to 7pm Toyko time.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so the US/EU closed beta will be launching in 40 minutes. Anyone else in?

so far, I like it... but the "fuck you, die until you figure it out" thing is almost institutionally implemented from the start. The very first thing you encounter is a small bridge with a fall-to-your-death scenario.

Graphics massively improved. The fighting seems deeper. There's combos I think? Summon signs everywhere... but they are snatched up as soon as they appear. You don't need a dedicated item to leave messages.

It feels the same, but in some way, so far, it feels strangely more "arcade" ish.

All first impressions. Not sure how I feel about the item management or the fact that the left stick is now used to jump. New lifegem item is interesting. The way your max health bar creeps down the more you die while undead is interesting... it feels like a compromise between the systems in Demon's and Dark 1.

EDIT AGAIN: beat the first boss, and I guess that's it for the beta.. time to invade I guess. Don't know if I can call it the best game ever yet, but it's a day-one purchase for sure.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: nevermind, new area... and, boss 2?

My final opinion is that it's obviously a day-one buy. Awesome... even if neither of the boss battles in the beta were on par with some of the classic ones from the previous games. At the end of the beta a message popped up saying they were "increasing difficulty," presumably to see if it was still manageable. It was. If anything, the only truly disappointing thing so far is that it's nowhere near as hard.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-10-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Picking up DS *again*.. I will at least aim to finish it once before DS2.... but gosh darnit those two archers on the walls in Anor Londo... must have died 8 or 9 times, even with people summoned in helping out.. Most of the game has been tough.. but fair.. this part feels just a little too much. also I've got no arrows left so I can't even snipe the bastards..

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Picking up DS *again*.. I will at least aim to finish it once before DS2.... but gosh darnit those two archers on the walls in Anor Londo... must have died 8 or 9 times, even with people summoned in helping out.. Most of the game has been tough.. but fair.. this part feels just a little too much. also I've got no arrows left so I can't even snipe the bastards..
    Roll under the arrows while you climb the buttress, and then go after the guy to your right. Rush him, rolling under any arrows, and then try to quickly beat him down or knock him off the roof. Once you get past there and into through the castle window, you're at a bonfire (if you go through the door to your left).

If the archer on the left gives you trouble you can go take him out first I guess... I've never had problems with him though.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Roll under the arrows while you climb the buttress, and then go after the guy to your right. Rush him, rolling under any arrows, and then try to quickly beat him down or knock him off the roof. Once you get past there and into through the castle window, you're at a bonfire (if you go through the door to your left).

If the archer on the left gives you trouble you can go take him out first I guess... I've never had problems with him though.
    cheers man, Just managed it! Got a lucky parry in on the guy on the right and killed him quickly. I'd read so many tactics and strategies, none of hem were straight up fighting the guy!
    Anyway, in true Dark Souls fashion, I crashed through the fog gate, found the bonfire (whew!), thought to myself "I better kindle that!" so restored to humanity, only to be invaded by a sketchy fat small headed dude with a massive hammer who did weird shit and I couldn't hurt but iced the two people I summoned in instantly and eventually killed me.. I think I'll put it down for the night..

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so, with all the excitement about Titanfall, I'd like to talk about Dark Souls 2, which also came out today.

And unfortunately, all I can do is talk, because Amazon screwed up my shipment and I'm not getting it today. So, anyone pick it up? Impressions/anything? I'd personally ask that nobody throw in any big spoilers.

I'm insanely jealous of anyone who actually has the game right now. I could have bought it days ago from a shop that was breaking release date... but nooooooooooo... I just decided to be patient and wait, and have Amazon drop the ball.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm playing it. It's... fucking hard.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    i want to play dark souls 2 so bad.....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's a mixed bag. I think overall it's a little bit easier. Still very frustrating. It certainly takes a lot of cheap shots... I don't like the vibe as much for some reason either. Something about it feels incomplete..

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Still not finished with Dark Souls. Beat Sif, Havel the Rock, got the Peculiar Doll, about ready to head into New Londo (gulp)... I guess DS2 will be cheap or announced for the new consoles by the time I'm done..
    In other news part of my love of the series has come from listening to the Bonfireside Chat Podcast, where they go into the lore, story, characters as well as walk through the various locations. The story is so... Good. For a story you can completely miss/overlook its surprisingly deep and full of ambiguity.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so far I'm liking it... but I'm really lost. Also, I guess now every time you die, your max life bar decreases a notch? This is making things a lot more difficult. Wonder what to do about that...

Also, I'm not sure if I'm going the right way, but these giant knight guys seem to be really overpowered. They take about 10 hits, and with my life cut in half already, they take me out with two hits.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah.... Theres a ring that neuters the life cut thing a bit. I believe its i. The well in the wain village or i. The forest of giants. That place with those giants... Go there second... For the mean time go to the forest of giants. Basically from the bonfire at the village run back down the coast towars where you came and you should see another pathway. Theres some powerful weapons on that route and some key items like the key to the blacksmith and the fire sword and the lightning sword and the phorros item which is key later.

Also, only bother with those big green dudes until you cam activate the levers that theyre tied to. Most of them can be tricked off of a cliff i found. Those levers make the boss fight a lot easIier.... Also not to confuse the forest of giants with the area youre in... As far as i know the forest of giants has no actual giants somehow.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    They take about 10 hits, and with my life cut in half already, they take me out with two hits.
    Sounds as fun as the first game (not counting Demon's Souls) then.

I lack the patience to play this game/series. I own the first game but haven't done much after killing the Taurus Demon aka the asshole on the bridge. I doubt I'll ever touch it again, unless I am feeling sadomasochistic.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-13-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just picked up the first game. Jesus, I've been missing out. This game feels like a 3d version of a hard-ass 2d NES game. Its a glorious slap in the face to hand-holding modern game design, with fast regenerating health and boss fights being phased out. Its the type of game I never realized I wanted until I played it. It feels very satisfying just getting past some regular enemies. I'm dying over and over again like I'm playing Ghouls and Ghost or Ninja Gaiden, and I'm loving it. Its a gamer's game.

I'll get DS2 when I finish this one, which may take a long time. It'll probably be $20 by then.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Anybody reach the sentinels yet? Thats about as intimidating as a game gets...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I'm kind of disappointed so far with the game when it comes to progression. In Demon Souls and Dark Souls you had some sense of where to go after beating a certain area. While in DSII there is a ton of backtracking and no idea of where to go. I'm stuck Spoiler: I just defeated the throne protectors. After getting the Ashen Mist heart I tried to beat one of the memories and just getting my ass handed to me. I don't know if i need to beat the memory in order to beat the game but im stuck fighting that giant where your constantly getting bombarded with fire explosions and the boss has a one hit kill that is unblock-able. The game feels dry, its just missing something, some element I cant put my finger on that Des and Dks had.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, I've been struggling with Boletarian Palace in Demon's Souls for months, on and off, and tonight I finally beat Phalanx and moved on to the opening of the other areas in the Nexus, and I feel like I've just struck gold, it's like, after ages of struggle, I finally see what all the hype is about, the feeling of accomplishment after struggling so long was just overwhelming. I can't wait to make my way through the rest of this game now. And I have Dark Souls in my steam library waiting for me to play it when I'm done, and then maybe by the time I'm done with that, DS2 will be out on PC and my life will be complete. I'm so excited about finally "getting" these games, so to speak.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm kind of disappointed so far with the game when it comes to progression. In Demon Souls and Dark Souls you had some sense of where to go after beating a certain area. While in DSII there is a ton of backtracking and no idea of where to go. I'm stuck Spoiler: I just defeated the throne protectors. After getting the Ashen Mist heart I tried to beat one of the memories and just getting my ass handed to me. I don't know if i need to beat the memory in order to beat the game but im stuck fighting that giant where your constantly getting bombarded with fire explosions and the boss has a one hit kill that is unblock-able. The game feels dry, its just missing something, some element I cant put my finger on that Des and Dks had.
    I'm not passing any judgments yet... but I feel the same way about the general progression. I have NO idea where the hell to go.

Also, I always enjoyed the level of challenge in the previous games, but in this one? It's just frustrating for the most part so far. The combat also feels much more "wait for the guy to swing a certain amount of times, then dash in and slash him before retreating" repetition to it...

I'm hoping I warm up to this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm not passing any judgments yet... but I feel the same way about the general progression. I have NO idea where the hell to go.

Also, I always enjoyed the level of challenge in the previous games, but in this one? It's just frustrating for the most part so far. The combat also feels much more "wait for the guy to swing a certain amount of times, then dash in and slash him before retreating" repetition to it...

I'm hoping I warm up to this.

I generally have as many as 4 "walls" that I can go check out if I get stuck somewhere, and then see if any of them will finally give. This morning I realized that the covenant I joined ramps the difficultyof the game! and they don't tell you that... I also realized that I had essentially skipped a very large portion of the early game and basically had completed some portion in the middle. also missed a few key bonfires and bosses along the way. It is very, VERY easy to just miss crucial things.

That's the part I like less about this game. Entire chunks of the game are hidden behind bullshit walls and obscure cliff faces. There is also some kind of discrepency in atmosphere that I don't like as much. Ultimately it is a much easier game so far but finding out where to go and what to do.... I mean I get it, we're supposed to communicate with each other to get things done, but it's fucking ridiculous sometimes. I couldn't get the network on for a few hours today, so who knows what little orange text I DIDN'T see...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yes exactly! There are so many hidden paths and walls (by the way to open a hidden wall just tap x or a on your controller) that my own orientation gets messed up.
    Then there is the Pharos Stones that may open a hidden path/wall/ or just doesn't do a damn thing. You are risking a stone every time you use one (which is very hard to come by). Its a gamble and its an element to the game I don't like.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    by the way to open a hidden wall just tap x or a on your controller
    ugh, really?!

I'm starting to get the feeling that the only way to play and enjoy this one is with a complete wiki guide by your side.

With the previous games, it was really great to go collecting and hunting down all the hidden crazy stuff in New Game + with a guide, but this? It just feels... irritating to try to figure it out yourself, but if you just go exploring, chances are you're going to find yourself lost, screwed, and frustrated

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yeah you have no idea how many times i whacked at a wall trying to open a hidden door while i had read a message saying it was a hidden wall. At first i though the message was just a trolling message but i summoned someone for help clearing the area to get to the boss and i led him there and he sent me a pm telling me just to tap x to open the hidden wall.
    Also black firebombs can open certain hidden paths if the wall or path looks cracked.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ha! BUT you can open hidden walls by striking them if they are lit up with the pharros mark. It took me three days to figure that out and there is at least one very major area behind one of those. I used to think it did nothing...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Just beat it! Ended up liking it a bit more than the first. Buuut... The ending portion is quite easy. Just max outa pyromancy flame and get firestorm. That shit kills every boss in the game in 4 hits. Except for one of the optional ones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got my copy of Dark Souls 2 today. So far so good. After the first 10 deaths or so I got into the swing of things and it's proving fun and a moderate challenge. I haven't fought a boss yet mind you but I like how the game keeps you on edge.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The first boss, the last giant totally kicked my arse. It probably took about 10 tries with a few summons in there as well. Great fun though. I took down the second, Dragonrider, solo first time and I've just defeated The Pursuer first time with a couple of phantoms. Easy when using the seige weapons nearby (although I did friendly fired one phantom).

Great game so far. I went with the Warrior class but I can't help feel the sorcerer would be a better and easier choice. I'll probably go with that second time around.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    The first boss, the last giant totally kicked my arse. It probably took about 10 tries with a few summons in there as well. Great fun though. I took down the second, Dragonrider, solo first time and I've just defeated The Pursuer first time with a couple of phantoms. Easy when using the seige weapons nearby (although I did friendly fired one phantom).

Great game so far. I went with the Warrior class but I can't help feel the sorcerer would be a better and easier choice. I'll probably go with that second time around.

I actually didn't fight The Last Giant or the Pursuer until about midgame, because I missed the ladder going down from the bonfire... I started with the dragonrider. I also soloed EVERYTHING!

The only boss I haven't beaten at this point is the ancient dragon.... and really I think i'm just going to pass that thing is crazy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's much more fun to do co-op. Having the ring of life protection is a big help too. When I first approach a boss area I place a whitesoap mark and enter someone elses game to get a good look at the boss. The Belfry was annoying trying to summon help as I was just invaded in that place every two seconds.

I just defeated the chariot in undead purgatory. Nice to have a boss fight with a bit of difference.