Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Dark Souls

Praise the Sun, etc. Having enjoyed Demon's Souls, Dark Souls is now taking up far too much of my time. Has anyone found patch 1.5 to nerf the difficulty as much as people seem to be claiming on sites like Gamefaqs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't played since the patch, but this game is awesome. Such a tight and perfect feeling combat system. I wish more games had combat like this. I would have to say it may be my favorite game of the year, or at least close to it (Skyrim is up there right next to this).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This game nearly drove me actually insane. I didnt have access to help via online assists, and pretty much just flew through blind. It was like a punishment, but it was still great. I did it! That was a great feeling. Getting through those hardest of moments. Bosses that took days worth of attempts, my wife laughing at my inavility to pass the game. Quelaag, olaf and ornstein.... that last guy.

Great gameplay though. I think in manyways it stands above skyrim, at the cery least as a more focused daunting kind of game. In Skyrim you might pass by a cave, and with eager anticipation, explore what might be inside, maybe even casually. In Dark Souls you dont even wanna go in there. That might be wrong cave. It could be hpurs before you leave that cave.

What crazy fucked up game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've kept track of my deaths since starting, as of now, 40 hours in, I am at 137. A good chunk of those were from Blightown. Goddammit this game rules.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    More games need to be like this. There's an overwhelming sense of subtlety to it. You're not made out to be some world-changing hero, you're not on a quest to defeat the ultimate baddy... You're just moving forward to survive. The voice acting is always good (and rare and subtle, as it should be). It's just a pleasure overall and so easy to appreciate, even without talking about its sublime combat or punishing-but-fair difficulty. It doesn't hold your hand.

Other games beckon you in with the promise of riches, glory, and other treasure, but this one is different. It stands with its back to you, completely apathetic of your presence. While other games beg desperately for your attention, Dark Souls doesn't need it, and sometimes, doesn't even want it. That's my kind of game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    this game is way too time consuming. the time to game progression ratio is additive and maddening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think this game could be summed up with one frame:

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsipod View Post
    this game is way too time consuming. the time to game progression ratio is additive and maddening.
    You describe it perfectly. My wife was ready to kill me. It made things so much crazier. After 3 days of trying to beat one boss shed say, " youre STILL fighting this guy? This game is SO boring... you must suck!"

But you cant let the game win.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    yeah. i got to a rather annoying part in the game and had to play some Arkham city to relax.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Was it the part in Anor Londo where you have to climb up the fucking steps? Because fuck that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On my NG+, But haven't played since Skyrim came out. Dark Souls is amazing though. Not as challenging as Demon's Souls was, but it's the better game IMO. I haven't ventured much into the PVP aspect of it too much besides being invaded several times and losing only once. Fending off the invaders is such a thrill.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Was it the part in Anor Londo where you have to climb up the fucking steps? Because fuck that.
    Yeah, that was awful...

I got pretty far in the game, but Skyrim has been eating up all my time since it came out. At some point I'll go back and finish it... maybe after I finally get around to Batman.

speaking of Anor Londo...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Wow, I needed that. It was perfect!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I've not really had any trouble with any of the bosses so far. Why? Because I keep summoning a couple of people to kill them for me! Huzzah.

Right now, I'm getting my vengeance with my good friend Gwendolyn and the Darkmoon Blades. The Painted World of Ariamis is fucking goldmine for naive Hollows to be slaughtered in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As someone who's struggling with dragon age 2 on 'normal' difficulty, I should avoid this game right?!?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    I've not really had any trouble with any of the bosses so far. Why? Because I keep summoning a couple of people to kill them for me! Huzzah.

Right now, I'm getting my vengeance with my good friend Gwendolyn and the Darkmoon Blades. The Painted World of Ariamis is fucking goldmine for naive Hollows to be slaughtered in.
    Yeah, I kind of avoided to the whole online interaction thing altogether... no help, but no interruptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post
    As someone who's struggling with dragon age 2 on 'normal' difficulty, I should avoid this game right?!?
    Not necessarily. I, too, had issues with some spots in Dragon Age 2. Dark Souls has kicked my ass in some spots, but I've been enjoying it immensely. The difference between the difficulty in DA2 and Dark Souls is that if you die in Dark Souls, it's usually your fault and you can learn from it. In Dragon Age 2, you'll die but largely not have control over why it happened.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    What's everyone equipping? I'd love to see what everyone's doing here. In the right hand I'm maining Quelaag Fury Sword + 5 (occasionally swapping for Lightning Spear, currently +4, or the Gravelord Sword, which is an evil beast of a weapon), switching out for the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst. On the left I'm using either Black Knight Shield or the Blood Shield, the latter has has awesome resistances.

I'm currently favouring Havel the Rock's armour set, although I sometimes change things up with Knight Lautrec's Gold armour- it looks brilliant, and killing him was so damn satisfying after that stunt he pulled at Firelink Shrine.

Usually I tend to favour the Cloranthy Ring for it's stamina regeneration, and the Ring of Favor and Protection. For protection.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Dude, after I killed him, I USED THE FIREKEEPER SOUL.... FUUUUUUUUCK! I didn't realize I had to use it to revive the keeper...

I had a ditty going with the lighning spear + 5 and Quelaag Sword + 5 It's a great combo, and the latter scales. I used the grasscrest shield or the black iron shield. I liked being able to boost my stamina and RUN the fuck away. I used black iron armor all around +5 except for the gold hemmed leggings.

I was playing a tank basically. I plugged everything into defense and a little intyo physical offense. I still got my ass kicked a lot.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Dude, after I killed him, I USED THE FIREKEEPER SOUL.... FUUUUUUUUCK! I didn't realize I had to use it to revive the keeper...
    Yeah, I did the same thing. Do you know if there's any other way to resurrect her?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I had a ditty going with the lighning spear + 5 and Quelaag Sword + 5 It's a great combo, and the latter scales.
    I think I still need to find a Titanite Slab somewhere before I upgrade the Lighting Spear that high. It's supposed to be a great weapon for NG+ too. I should use it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yeah, I did the same thing. Do you know if there's any other way to resurrect her?
    Nope, you're both fucked for this play through, sorry. Still, aside from relighting her bonfire, she's not really all that useful (at least, I've not found her to be so far, I'm past Anor Londo and just backtracked out of the Catacombs). It's a quick jaunt to the Undead Parish bonfire using the elevator shortcut and you can still warp to Firelink without her (but not from, obviously).

Jinsai, what gear do you use?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    That last titanite slab should come inevitably, its the demon titanite thats a total bitch to get...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Jinsai, what gear do you use?
    Y'know, it's been so long since I loaded it up I'm not sure... I believe I was wearing the full Havel set, and using the powered up Drake Sword +4
    I'm almost done with Skyrim so it's about time for me to dive back in and try to finish this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So this has officially been confirmed for PC, along with two additional boss fights.

Demon's Souls North American servers are being shut down May 31st. Which is a shame, I never got to play it, and now I if I ever end up getting a PS3 I won't be able to experience the multiplayer aspect of it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    So this has officially been confirmed for PC, along with two additional boss fights.

Demon's Souls North American servers are being shut down May 31st. Which is a shame, I never got to play it, and now I if I ever end up getting a PS3 I won't be able to experience the multiplayer aspect of it.
    I did all of Demons Souls in single player. I only got invaded once and only summoned one guy into my game. On your first play through (and in my case, only) it is best to be phantom most of the time anyway which stops nearly all online stuff anyway. Dark Souls is a little more online focused, but again, I tend to stick with the offline. It will certainly be quiet without all the messages and ghosts running around though, I took some comfort that other people were struggling through 'with' me. Still a fantastic game. I'm still struggling through Dark Souls.... I was getting owned in darkroot garden last time I played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just beat this today, immediately started up a new game +. I love this game so hard. I kept track of all my deaths, final count 346. Now I just need to do two more playthroughs to get all the achievements.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I've been playing Demon's Souls again, now that they're shutting down the servers at the end of the month, and it's a little sad that they're doing that. It's really going to take something great out of the game.

And, just to check, I threw in my original Korean version of the game, and it seems the servers are still active, and there's no message at startup indicating they're about to be shut down. The game is in full english too, and has its own separate trophy set. Maybe this'll be worth some money soon.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so they just announced Dark Souls 2. I really should get around to beating the first one already...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Oh fuck. That looks amazing.

Need to finish Demons' Souls before DkS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i can't fucking wait for two. i started a thief the other day and it just feels so awesome knowing what to do with a new character after beating it with another. It's still hard as shit but god damnit. dark souls should get game of the year every year.