Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2022.09.11 Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2022.09.11 Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    First time at this venue for me and I enjoyed it.

Great to hear La Mer for the first time and also surprised to see Trent stop the performance of 1,000,000. I’m not sure what happened but I guess it was enough to stop the song completely and go straight to Gave Up.

Overall good times and love the visuals that incorporated the venue very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Show was alright. And Trent def got into a mood after 1000000. Barely and talking and no band intros. I think they def got some chill stuff out of the way tonight and the next few shows are gonna be way more high energy

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This was a great show, I was up in the lawn and sound was excellent there, loud but no distortion. Really enjoyed the light show, it was pretty great to see the band covered in smoke for a lot of the songs, and in some songs I noticed the lights/shadows were moving, there were some disorienting effects with the lights, and when the strobes went off holy cow! Much has been said about having a big production (LITS/Tension) vs a barebones show, and I think this tour’s production is a good mix of both worlds, there were some neat tricks with the lights (the effects in Copy of A were superb, it seems like they built upon what they had for this song, and also the classic blue and red of Gave Up had a great revamp), and the scaled back production allows for more song versatility.

The song choice was phenomenal, although I have to say the pacing sometimes was a bit off (as in, some of the transitions were not that smooth, see MoTP into Everything into La Mer into Closer). But, I gotta give it to Trent, he is making interesting setlists, very different to other tours, where you could guess what was coming next. Here, I did not know what song to expect (I had not seen spoilers prior to going to my show, although I was familiar with the craziness of the 2019 setlists). Last NIN show I had seen was the DEP/SG tour, and this show blew that one out of the water easily, so much energy here. Trent’s not screaming that much anymore but that’s to be expected at his age, although he still sings really well.

Kinda glad they aborted 1,000,000, I just don’t like it with Robin playing synths instead of guitars, it just doesn’t have the same punch. Funny to see TR pissed off about it, next song was Gave Up and he threw his guitar way up at the end (I think he almost hit Ilan?). Has TR been throwing his guitar during Gave Up? Happy I got to see stuff like EDIETS, Everything, Perfect Drug, The Lovers, Me I'm Not, La Mer, Sanctified, Heresy. And, even though Bad Witch is my least favorite of the trilogy, I'm super happy I got to see Ahead of Ourselves and God Break Down the Door, they sound much better live. I really like the approach of this tour, where every album gets equal representation (except for The Slip with the aborted 1,000,000 and Not the Actual Events).

TR definitely likes Rosalía's new album, the PA played Chicken Teryaki as we were leaving. Again, glad I did this show and happy the band is performing at such a high level.

oh and Ilan’s drumming during the Perfect Drug breakdown is SUPERB. He nailed it. I saw him from my car as I was looking for a place to park, he was leaving the tour bus.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-12-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I went to both Red Rocks shows, but I didn't realize how much I missed being right in front of the stage until last night. That said, my partner and I ended up being right in the middle of where the pit was being the most aggressive. She peaced out after TPD to go chill in the lawn, and I don't blame her.

For anyone else in the pit area, did it seem a bit more chaotic than usual? It wasn't so much that it was aggressive or angry, it was that there were several people just kind of flopping around without paying any attention to people around them. I was so excited and emotional during the first minute of Somewhat Damaged, and then a one person mosh pit (a tall dude with blonde dreads) just started flailing around like crazy, knocking a small woman in front of us backwards into my partner. That took me out of the moment real fast.

That aside, it was a great show, and I was very happy to have another unpredictable setlist. Bad Witch Subterraneans was an odd encore opener, especially without being connected to anything else, but it was cool. I was definitely curious if we were going to get a surprise original Subterraneans followed by Scary Monsters, which would have been amazing. The Perfect Drug always makes me happy, especially up close, and I loved seeing Everything up close, even if it was very clear that 80% of the people around me either didn't know the song or just weren't feeling it. I was, damn it!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Fun detail from last night. There were three young women in front of us, all somewhere between 17 and 20 years old, I'd guess. Two of them were there together for Yves Tumor, and one was there for NIN by herself in the pit (her parents were off to the side). I guess the YT fans thought they were the headliner and were confused when they weren't, but during YT's set, they were losing their minds, which was really cute and added an infectious energy to the crowd.

Then, when YT was done, they were trying to decide whether or not to stay for NIN. The girl by herself looked at them and said, "don't leave. It's Nine Inch fucking Nails!" They hung out for a bit, but then about 10 minutes before NIN started, they looked at the growing crowd, looked at each other, and made their way out of the pit.

In general, I noticed a lot more 20-30 year-olds in the crowd last night, probably due to the venue being on a college campus. But it's great to see more fans than just us geezers going to these shows.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Great show! My 8th time seeing NIN, but first time in 13 years (!!!) with the most previous being the NIN/JA tour.

This was up there in terms of sound, setlist, and energy from the band. More than half the setlist consisted of tracks I hadn't experienced live yet, between new material and the more diverse sets overall. Was great to hear some older tracks like Heresy and Sanctified for the first time. The Perfect Drug...my lord Ilan Rubin!

The newer material sounded fresh and translated really well with this lineup. As someone who was a bit lukewarm on the recent run of EPs/albums, these tracks sounded fantastic live. The show did feel a little rushed at times (especially the usual set staples), but I'm not sure if that's just my sense for these tracks changing over the last 13 years or if they were truly rushing some of the tracks a bit.

My friends and I were joking before the show that it would be great to see Trent on either sax or tamborine and what a treat it was to get multiple tracks of each. Trent's joke about getting worse at sax a little each passing day was hilarious.

Highlights: La Mer, God Break Down the Door, The Perfect Drug, Subterraneans, Reptile

Loved the more stripped down visuals, allowing for more flexible sets instead of rigidity. Atticus is a great addition to the live lineup, as is the inclusion of more synths in general (I much prefer when they have more of the synth/sound design stuff going on rather than just the full rock band stuff). Even though it was over a decade ago, the last few times I saw NIN it felt like Trent/that iteration of the band was going through the motions a bit. I'm glad that didn't feel like the case here. And damn, Trent looks and sounds amazing for his age.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    The show did feel a little rushed at times (especially the usual set staples), but I'm not sure if that's just my sense for these tracks changing over the last 13 years or if they were truly rushing some of the tracks a bit.
    They use a click track for most (if not all) songs, so it's pretty much impossible for them to rush, unless they decide ahead of time that they want to change the tempo of a particular song. In theory, you could layer several performances of the same song on top of each other, and they'd be the exact same length, barring songs like MOTP which have stops and starts in them.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    They use a click track for most (if not all) songs, so it's pretty much impossible for them to rush, unless they decide ahead of time that they want to change the tempo of a particular song. In theory, you could layer several performances of the same song on top of each other, and they'd be the exact same length, barring songs like MOTP which have stops and starts in them.
    Starfuckers wasn't clicked, at least back in the day. Whole song, not just the middle part (per Charlie Clouser). And this is the one song they truly rushed, especially during Josh Freese era. It seemed like it was just getting faster and faster. Not sure how it was in 2018.

Also it's safe to assume TR solo piano numbers weren't on click. I'm talking The Frail, La Mer 2006-2007 and Hurt 2005-2007. When I did my With_Teeth_2006 tour video edit, videos of these three songs were a fucking pain to match because of the free tempo.

I wonder if TR's perception of some songs gets completely distorted by a click over the years. He probably heard Hurt with click in his ears a few hundred timed by now, and it completely ruins the songs, based on a couple of IEM recordings we've got

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Starfuckers wasn't clicked, at least back in the day. Whole song, not just the middle part (per Charlie Clouser). And this is the one song they truly rushed, especially during Josh Freese era. It seemed like it was just getting faster and faster. Not sure how it was in 2018.

Also it's safe to assume TR solo piano numbers weren't on click. I'm talking The Frail, La Mer 2006-2007 and Hurt 2005-2007. When I did my With_Teeth_2006 tour video edit, videos of these three songs were a fucking pain to match because of the free tempo.

I wonder if TR's perception of some songs gets completely distorted by a click over the years. He probably heard Hurt with click in his ears a few hundred timed by now, and it completely ruins the songs, based on a couple of IEM recordings we've got
    Yeah, I was talking about more recent tours, specifically because of the IEM recordings you mentioned. I had assumed that was something they only started doing in the last decade or so.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    This was a great show, I was up in the lawn and sound was excellent there, loud but no distortion. Really enjoyed the light show, it was pretty great to see the band covered in smoke for a lot of the songs, and in some songs I noticed the lights/shadows were moving, there were some disorienting effects with the lights, and when the strobes went off holy cow! Much has been said about having a big production (LITS/Tension) vs a barebones show, and I think this tour’s production is a good mix of both worlds, there were some neat tricks with the lights (the effects in Copy of A were superb, it seems like they built upon what they had for this song, and also the classic blue and red of Gave Up had a great revamp), and the scaled back production allows for more song versatility.

The song choice was phenomenal, although I have to say the pacing sometimes was a bit off (as in, some of the transitions were not that smooth, see MoTP into Everything into La Mer into Closer). But, I gotta give it to Trent, he is making interesting setlists, very different to other tours, where you could guess what was coming next. Here, I did not know what song to expect (I had not seen spoilers prior to going to my show, although I was familiar with the craziness of the 2019 setlists). Last NIN show I had seen was the DEP/SG tour, and this show blew that one out of the water easily, so much energy here. Trent’s not screaming that much anymore but that’s to be expected at his age, although he still sings really well.

Kinda glad they aborted 1,000,000, I just don’t like it with Robin playing synths instead of guitars, it just doesn’t have the same punch. Funny to see TR pissed off about it, next song was Gave Up and he threw his guitar way up at the end (I think he almost hit Ilan?). Has TR been throwing his guitar during Gave Up? Happy I got to see stuff like EDIETS, Everything, Perfect Drug, The Lovers, Me I'm Not, La Mer, Sanctified, Heresy. And, even though Bad Witch is my least favorite of the trilogy, I'm super happy I got to see Ahead of Ourselves and God Break Down the Door, they sound much better live. I really like the approach of this tour, where every album gets equal representation (except for The Slip with the aborted 1,000,000 and Not the Actual Events).

TR definitely likes Rosalía's new album, the PA played Chicken Teryaki as we were leaving. Again, glad I did this show and happy the band is performing at such a high level.

oh and Ilan’s drumming during the Perfect Drug breakdown is SUPERB. He nailed it. I saw him from my car as I was looking for a place to park, he was leaving the tour bus.

flopping and jumping people is gonna be a standard thing for a "rock" show in the bay area. Plenty of people on pills and such.

dumbest person of the night was somebody in the late 30's who said this was their first show and had been waiting since they were 13. They proceed to talk during half the show. Figures they would squander this chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    traveled from TX, had always wanted to see a show at the Greek. what a fantastic venue and beautiful campus! not my favorite setlist but i still enjoyed the hell out of the show and appreciate that he's switching it up every night. i was section 7 row 8 and was quite surprised by all of the people sitting down for the whole show...last weekend at red rocks the entire crowd was on their feet. thought it was great up until everything, la mer, closer...that section was a little awkward. have seen everything twice now live and it just isn't for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    you know what bummed me? Trent singing and repeating we don't have much time left during subterranean. The man knows and it will suck when he's gone.

not my favorite NIN show of all those i've seen as I'm also not sold on some of that setlist but I'm so glad I got to see them all again, finally, that feeling when SD started pounding, just pure bliss.
    Almost 4 years since SF, too fucking long of a wait, i regret not doing red rocks now though that would have been tricky for me atm.
    Last edited by armogi; 09-16-2022 at 06:37 PM.