Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mastodon

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh man.. that guitar bridge/solo at 3:15 in? AWESOME!!!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    holy fucking shit that is a good song.

why does it say "see you on the high road april 29th"? the album's not coming out that soon, is it? i can't find pre-order info anywhere...

side note: live at brixton is probably my #1 most desired item for record store day. i'm getting up at 5am to take the train to my favorite record store in chicago and wait outside for 4+ hours so i don't have a repeat of 2012 when i couldn't get anything i wanted.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    why does it say "see you on the high road april 29th"? the album's not coming out that soon, is it? i can't find pre-order info anywhere...
    I believe that is when the single will be officially released. As for the album, I been reading June.

all the best getting Live at Brixton too, I am still praying for a physical release on cd and blu ray !

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    holy fucking shit that is a good song.

side note: live at brixton is probably my #1 most desired item for record store day. i'm getting up at 5am to take the train to my favorite record store in chicago and wait outside for 4+ hours so i don't have a repeat of 2012 when i couldn't get anything i wanted.
    The tour starts on April 28th, maybe it's that?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    May 7th at 1st Avenue? Fuck that, thats the same place I saw them last, on 2 hits of LSD (i already told the story in the drug thread.)

Sweet new track though, im excited for this one!!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    so, am I the only one who thinks this song is godawful?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I fucking dig it. The riffs, the solos, the drumming. Mastodon is for fucking real. Plus, they're from Atlanta. I'm proud of those guys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I hope the new album has more of Brann singing besides awesome drumming.
    He is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite musicians.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    so, am I the only one who thinks this song is godawful?
    Definitely not. I really like it, but I've seen a lot of people that don't. The fact is, though, the first song put out is always only decent at best. The first song we got from CTS was Divinations, and the first from The Hunter was Curl Of The Burl. I like both of those songs, too, but the rest of those albums were loaded with WAY better stuff.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    I believe that is when the single will be officially released. As for the album, I been reading June.

all the best getting Live at Brixton too, I am still praying for a physical release on cd and blu ray !
    i got it! the record store i went to actually had 5 copies, but i got up at 5am and got there at 6am just to make sure i could get it (and everything else i wanted).

really looking forward to spinning it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i got it! the record store i went to actually had 5 copies, but i got up at 5am and got there at 6am just to make sure i could get it (and everything else i wanted).

really looking forward to spinning it.
    Congrats! Enjoy your very loud weekend!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone get the vinyl/DVD release today? I slept in til 11 today and didn't bother trying to go downtown to Criminal Records to get it. 50+ copies on ebay going for about $60 a pop. Im not sure what the instore price was but I guess thats not too outrageous.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dunebug81 View Post
    Anyone get the vinyl/DVD release today? I slept in til 11 today and didn't bother trying to go downtown to Criminal Records to get it. 50+ copies on ebay going for about $60 a pop. Im not sure what the instore price was but I guess thats not too outrageous.
    i said right above that i got it

it was $40 in-store, which is pretty good for 180g 2xLP with a DVD that's limited to, what, 1000 copies?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I've totally lost any connection to this band since crack the skye came out up to the point where I can't understand the general praise they get. Mastodon have changed their sound so radically that I just don't care about the new direction they are heading since. They have progressed, that's for sure, but not in a way that I seem to appreciate.

The new song sound cool and all that but that is absolutely not the band anymore that I so fell for in the past. Does anyone else feel like this? I'll once in a while get back to them and see if something clicks but it hasn't since.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I've totally lost any connection to this band since crack the skye came out up to the point where I can't understand the general praise they get. Mastodon have changed their sound so radically that I just don't care about the new direction they are heading since. They have progressed, that's for sure, but not in a way that I seem to appreciate.

The new song sound cool and all that but that is absolutely not the band anymore that I so fell for in the past. Does anyone else feel like this? I'll once in a while get back to them and see if something clicks but it hasn't since.
    i feel like the progression of their sound has been pretty organic, but i also didn't get into them until crack the skye came out, and then i worked my way backwards. are you saying you did or did not like crack the skye?

also, what you're describing is kind of what happened to me with incubus; the last album of theirs i liked was a crow left of the murder, which took them in a brilliant direction, and then their next album was just so fucking BORING.
    i don't personally feel like mastodon has done that, so i'm sorry you've lost touch with their music. maybe the new album will click with you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post

I am with you. This band peaked with "Leviathan," after that it's been hit or miss, this new track is a big miss.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I been a fan since Blood Mountain and while I miss some of their heavier styles, I am really glad that they sound like they're singing now more than just gibberish screaming.

Personally I think Crack the Skye is their weakest album but as long as the music still sounds good, I don't care if Troy is even rapping on the next album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    For those who are going to see Mastodon this tour, and haven't heard anything by Gojira or Kvelertak (like me), here's a free split live EP:
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/splitliveep

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Does anyone else think the mix for the new Brixton live recording sounds awful? It seems like the vocals are barely audible. Great set list, but the buried vocals kill it for me...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Does anyone else think the mix for the new Brixton live recording sounds awful? It seems like the vocals are barely audible. Great set list, but the buried vocals kill it for me...
    i haven't listened to the digital version yet, but on vinyl, it sounds pretty good. if anything, the guitars are a tiny bit muddy, but that was my only complaint.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    we have a release date! sick sick artwork as usual!

more awesomeness with their guide of Atlanta

artwork and tracks on amazon too!

http://www.amazon.com/Once-More-Roun...rhf_gw_p_tnr_1
    Last edited by LaneSax; 04-29-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Went to the Seattle show last night. Holy cow that setlist was stacked, the first 5 songs were straight punches to the face. Since it was the first show of the tour I'll put the spoilers tag:
    Spoiler:
    Setlist (confirmed, order is correct)
    Hearts Alive
    Divinations
    Crusher Destroyer
    Capillarian Crest
    Black Tongue
    Bladecatcher
    Crystal Skull
    Trampled Under Hoof
    Siberian Divide
    Naked Burn
    Megalodon
    Oblivion
    Octopus Has No Friends
    Chimes at Midnight (new song)
    High Road
    Aqua Dementia
    (Encore)
    The Sparrow

I was definitely not expecting them to open with Hearts Alive...what a way to kick off the night. Fourth Mastodon concert, second time I get to see this song*, which has eventually become my second favorite off of Leviathan. They actually played quite a bit of Leviathan songs (4). The (recorded) banjo intro for Divinations also got me suuuper excited, and then for Crusher Destroyer they had the T-Rex intro, which prepared me for what was next. I was on a high for a good portion of the show, I think I calmed down until "Octopus Has No Friends" (some of the material in The Hunter does not hit me as hard as stuff from previous records).

Oblivion...oh my word. Sounded a lot better than when I saw them during the Crack the Skye tour. Maybe because it was during the middle of the set the guys were more confident about it (as y'all know bands typically work out the kinks of the sound during the first songs, which was the case for "Oblivion" during the Crack the Skye tour).

They played a new song (besides High Road), Chimes at Midnight, in my opinion it sounded a lot better than High Road (I didn't like the vocals of this past song that much). In fact, during High Road Brann sang a little bit off key, and I was standing by the soundboard, the sound guy made a gesture to the lights tech while Brann was singing, something like "what the hell?". But based on Chimes at Midnight (which wasn't introduced by the band), I think we can expect a solid record from Mastodon.

What else...glad to hear Siberian Divide, it took time for me to fully appreciate this song but now it's become one of my favorites off Blood Mountain. First time for me to hear it live. It's so refreshing to go to the first show of a tour, you absolutely do not know what to expect (although I'm kinda good about not looking at setlists before going to a show in a tour). Band was on fire.

Kvelertak was alright, and so was Gojira. Gojira was a tiny bit too samey for me, but nonetheless these two bands set the stage properly for Mastodon. Merch? Kvelertak had some good looking shirts, there was a tour sampler (CD) with a song from each band, Mastodon was selling vinyl for Call of the Mastodon, Leviathan, Crack the Skye (and maybe something else). Shirts-wise, I didn't see anything that related to the artwork of Once More 'Round the Sun.

*When I first wrote this post I thought it had been my first time watching this song live, BUT I just checked the setlist for their 2006 show in Munich (which I attended with a friend) during their stint opening for Tool, and they closed their set with Hearts Alive (that set turned me onto Mastodon, but since I wasn't acquainted with the songs it made me forget what they played that night, it was a long time ago!).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    really wish it wasn't $70. i'd drop $50 on it for sure...but $70 for a 2xLP is a bit much...

more info

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I always love their album covers. This one, however, looks like it'll make my eyes bleed about five times more likely than the past ones.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    yup that LP is a little too expensive for me since Im just buying it for the art.

Will stick to the cd, disappointed there isnt gonna be a bonus dvd
    Last edited by LaneSax; 04-30-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Really?? 70 fucking bucks?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Picture from last night

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    wow! that is a teeny, tiny stage! i would have been so stoked to see them in a venue like that instead of at the aragon in chicago (in 2009).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Personally I think Crack the Skye is their weakest album but as long as the music still sounds good, I don't care if Troy is even rapping on the next album.
    If Crack the Skye is their weakest album then holy fuck that's a good band right there.