Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Empire of Light (2022)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Ah, quite pleasant -- I greatly enjoyed the first listen. It's quite subtle by TR+AR soundtrack standards.

Two stray observations:
    1. "Out and About Again" is cut from nearly identical cloth as Soul's "Just Us"
    2. "High Windows" has a rather abrupt end, eh? I could've done with a bit more echoey fade-out or something there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Probably won't be released on CD?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It’s on Tidal, as well.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Like Bones & All, this score is streaming at 192kHz/24bit Ultra HD on Amazon Music. Still have no idea if these were mastered at that resolution, or just upsampled from the 48kHz FLAC files that you can get on Bandcamp (which is what I suspect happened, since that's what they've been known to work in). Mostly no ultra-high acoustic frequencies in this so it doesn't make much difference.
    Last edited by botley; 12-09-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Like Bones & All, this score is streaming at 192kHz/24bit Ultra HD on Amazon Music. Still have no idea if these were mastered at that resolution, or just upsampled from the 48kHz FLAC files that you can get on Bandcamp
    Do you know if it’s the same on Apple Music for this and Bones and All?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Do you know if it’s the same on Apple Music for this and Bones and All?
    I don't have an Apple sub, but taking a wild guess I'd say probably it is.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    You guys don't see a vinyl release of this in the future, do you?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Probably won't be released on CD?
    I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    You guys don't see a vinyl release of this in the future, do you?
    I doubt it.

Edit: To expand on my pithy answers, there hasn't been a CD release since 2017's Vietnam War. Unless the studio is doing it (as in Soul's case, internationally), I think Trent's just not interested. As for vinyl, well, we're still waiting on those Patriots Day and Mank vinyls. I wouldn't hold my breath for those or any new ones.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I doubt it.

I doubt it.

Edit: To expand on my pithy answers, there hasn't been a CD release since 2017's Vietnam War. Unless the studio is doing it (as in Soul's case, internationally), I think Trent's just not interested. As for vinyl, well, we're still waiting on those Patriots Day and Mank vinyls. I wouldn't hold my breath for those or any new ones.
    One would think there would be a market for a physical release, both CD and vinyl. A lot of NIN would buy them.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's not a money thing... I get the sense they (kraw included) are dissatisfied with how CDs look, more than anything else. Vinyl manufacturing is still a nightmare, with no end in sight.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Has anyone here seen the film? And if so, would you recommend it? It was panned by the critics (44% at Rotten Tomatoes) but it’s at 86% (also at RT) with general audience so I don’t know who to trust on this one.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's not a money thing... I get the sense they (kraw included) are dissatisfied with how CDs look, more than anything else. Vinyl manufacturing is still a nightmare, with no end in sight.
    I'd be inclined to say that it's also just not wanting to deal with the hassle, when physical media in general is still in a pretty notable decline. Doing a physical release properly would involve a lot of work for what's presumably diminishing returns, even with a relatively crazy fanbase like ours. Since nearly everyone on the planet generally just consumes digitally anyway, I expect the cost/benefit analysis is much more likely to fall down to "let's not bother."

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm glad to see that this and Bones & All were released on Bandcamp. Yes, physical releases would be cool, but I'm just glad I didn't have to jump through hoops to get them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    speaking of bandcamp - How Did This Get Made? is releasing a show on vinyl the same way that @InversePhase did: getting people to pledge to purchase it. Also this would make it easier for everyone to get one instead of bringing store.nin.com F5 refreshing just to be told 'ooh, so close but sorry' in the end.

I understand that at some level the interest that a band like NIN would bring to bandcamp would bring it to its knees but for the scores? I bet it's about right. OTOH bandcamp fees and such might make a band like NIN say hell no. so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am really digging this one. One of their best scores in a while. I think this one hit me more immediately than some of their other scores. Others have pointed out that it has a similar vibe to mid 90’s and I would agree, but much better in my opinion. Solitary People is incredible!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    glad people are liking this one, but i find it to be... completely boring and generic. some of these tracks could literally just be apple commercial jingles. i do like all of trent's piano playing, but other than that...

it's certainly not a bad listen -- feels like background music. i put it on when i did yoga today. very pleasant. but i don't feel any character or personality from TR/AR. it's the exact OPPOSITE of how i felt about bones and all, which felt like their own version of the story and wormed its way into my head so much i had to go see the movie immediately. this score made me positive this movie is probably trash, lol. (also, jesus, what a shitty generic album cover. brutal.)

i don't think this assignment moved them the way their scoring projects usually do, and... it's just a little weird to hear our boys make music their heart isn't in. that's kinda their thing! heart!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Halfway through this and I'm absolutely loving it. It's gorgeous.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    glad people are liking this one, but i find it to be... completely boring and generic. some of these tracks could literally just be apple commercial jingles. i do like all of trent's piano playing, but other than that...

it's certainly not a bad listen -- feels like background music. i put it on when i did yoga today. very pleasant. but i don't feel any character or personality from TR/AR. it's the exact OPPOSITE of how i felt about bones and all, which felt like their own version of the story and wormed its way into my head so much i had to go see the movie immediately. this score made me positive this movie is probably trash, lol. (also, jesus, what a shitty generic album cover. brutal.)

i don't think this assignment moved them the way their scoring projects usually do, and... it's just a little weird to hear our boys make music their heart isn't in. that's kinda their thing! heart!
    I think Bones And All was the most disappointing score release so far, and I'd describe that score using the words you chose for Empires of Light: commercial jingles, generic, background music.

Not sure what you mean by you don't feel TR/AR's touch on this score.
    If not for their signature synth sounds on Bones And All, I couldn't have known if I was listening to a TR/AR score or just a generic film score.
    With Empires of Light they returned right to their comfort zone, and I'd actually agree if people complained about that.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 12-12-2022 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    On first impression, this sounds as close to a new Ghosts album like Together mixed with Still instrumentals as their soundtrack ever sounded to me. Might be on repeated rotations for me, sounds gorgeous! I did listen to Together an unhealthy amount of times.

It's probably the predominance of piano that gives me that Together/Still vibe + the Trent sung background choruses.

As for the generic/background vibe people are getting, I can get where you're coming from as it has a very ambient vibe (and it's supposed to be background music for a movie), but I'd say give it time maybe? We are spoiled with 2 (very different) soundtracks in a very short period of time and some of y'all might just be saturated? Just my 2 cents... I mean, if generic music was that good, I would never complain about generic music being "generic"... Does that make sens?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the very-much-liking-it camp, but I can see where you're coming from. I've wondered a few times while listening if I'd recognize some of these tracks as TR+AR work if I hadn't known ahead of time. Then again, I'd probably say the same for a lot of Soul and Mank tracks, too. They've been diversifying their sound rather pleasantly over the past N years, after that initial run of Fincher soundtracks which (IMO) all felt cut from very similar sonic cloth.

Anyway, yeah, something about this one really clicks with me; not sure what. I've had a much more immediate reaction to this one than Bones And All, which still hasn't really clicked emotionally with me yet. Go figure!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    As far as the whole "are they going to release these physically" thing, between the vinyl delays of the past few years, and the consistantly spotty merch distributors, I'm fine if the scores just stay digital. It allows them to keep releasing scores without getting in the way (for lack of a better term) of whatever NIN has coming next. Also, at this point, the Patriots' Day vinyl would have to provide sexual release to make it worth this wait...
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 12-12-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    As far as the whole "are they going to release these physically" thing, between the vinyl delays of the past few years, and the consistantly spotty merch distributors, I'm fine if the scores just stay digital. It allows them to keep releasing scores without getting in the way (for lack of a better term) of whatever NIN has coming next. Also, at this point, the Patriots' Day vinyl would have to provide sexual release to make it worth this wait...
    i love so many of these scores and listen to them over and over again, but... my wallet is very ok with them saving the vinyl releases for NIN. that's hard enough sometimes. i love that they finally started using bandcamp!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is nice, and it is chill like cool cucumber water. It reminds me a lot of Still.
    Last edited by mfte; 12-15-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It's interesting that while Bones And All beats the crap out of Empire of Light on critics' RottenTomatoes score (Spoiler: 83 vs 45), EoL is doing better on viewer's score (Spoiler: 69 to 61).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The fact that they updated nin.com (front page & discography page) for Bones and All and did more press & interviews for it makes me suspect they're more proud of that score.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This soundtrack is beautiful. Very strong Still vibe. I love it.
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 01-09-2023 at 08:27 AM. Reason: breautiful => beautiful

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Please, don't anyone here fall for this terrible boot..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18572758348...Bk9SR_T8vs2yYQ

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    This soundtrack is breautiful. Very strong Still vibe. I love it.
    Brutally beautiful?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I saw the film a couple of nights ago. It's very close to being a great film, but there's a few flaws with the script that held it back. However I was more than happy to be in the world of the film for a couple of hours, and the technical team (especially Deakins) and cast (Colman is fabulous) are outstanding. In the context of the film this is one of their strongest scores. The opening shots paired with the 8am Christmas Eve are stunning, and the use of To Be Able to Fly, Procession and Empire of Light are perfectly paired and very moving in three very distinct ways. Highly recommend.